Highlights of the recordings

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Highlights of the recordings

Post by Ben Wilson »

If I'm being vicious I could call it a toss up between Jeff calling Dinos a lady and Chris's mishap with the top of the trophy- but let's be honest here, that second semi had to be the highlight of the whole series (sorry Innis). :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Highlights of the recordings

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ben Wilson wrote:Chris's mishap with the top of the trophy
Man, that was so good. Chris's deadpan reaction just made it even funnier.

But yeah, SLEEPSUIT was the moment of the finals for me. Such brilliant composure under extreme pressure. And also the way all 3 of Chris' victims handled their defeat was really admirable and I'm sure will make for good TV.
Andrew Hulme
Acolyte

Post by Andrew Hulme »

Charlie Reams wrote: And also the way all 3 of Chris' victims handled their defeat was really admirable and I'm sure will make for good TV.
Particularly Innis IMO. Innis's reaction to his defeat was my favourite moment. It showed his true characater and I cant give him enough credit for that. A thoroughly nice bloke and it was a shame he had to lose like that. He must be very disappointed by what happened, but hopefully when he watches it back that to have come across the way he did in such a tense moment is a victory in itself. Hopefully his time will come when CoC rolls around! Well played mate, it took something very special to beat you.

Also obviously congratulations to Chris, a brilliant performance under pressure in particular in the semi final when the chips were down... and of course in the final. Definitely a deserved champ. Could spend all evening writing about how difficult u were to attempt to beat, but i have a HOUSELOAD of people over...
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Thanks very much :)

The whole experience was absoutely awesome, but the SLEEPSUIT moment for me was just unreal. After getting back within 10 points of Innis, I was thrilled to still be in with a chance of victory, but I knew the conundrum would most likely be very hard, and I honestly didn't expect to be able to solve it. I'm so glad I didn't give up hope!
I can't wait to watch the finals when they're broadcast. :D
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Yes, SLEEPSUIT was unbelievable. I was convinced that Chris has simply buzzed in towards the end of the 30 seconds just to wind Innis up. Even when Chris said the word I thought it was simply made up.

Well done both players on one of the most memorable games ever.

A further memorable moment, for me at any rate, was Charlie's response at the drinks afterwards when either Rachael or I referred to me hoping to get my wife to come in January. Certainly, at my age, a two month lead in is probably appropriate.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Howard Somerset wrote: I was convinced that Chris has simply buzzed in towards the end of the 30 seconds just to wind Innis up. Even when Chris said the word I thought it was simply made up.
Yeah so did I. When Jeff paused for a moment and then said "let's take a look" and you know it's right there was a gasp from the audience. Incredible drama.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Would agree with that being one of the defining moments of the whole finals, the tension in the whole studio was absolutely incredible. If I thought I was feeling pressure at that point, I shudder to think what it must have been like for Chris! But yet he pulled it off at the crucial moment, and I think very few (if any) other players would have managed the same in that situation. And the near-perfect performance in the final against a top player left everyone in no doubt that he was a worthy champion. So congratulations once again to Chris, was a pleasure to meet and play you.

On a less serious note, the never-ending mishaps with the conundrum in Andrew and Jackie's QF was another highlight for me, hopefully LINKIGRAM doesn't get cut out as a result.
Andrew Hulme
Acolyte

Post by Andrew Hulme »

Innis Carson wrote: On a less serious note, the never-ending mishaps with the conundrum in Andrew and Jackie's QF was another highlight for me, hopefully LINKIGRAM doesn't get cut out as a result.
Speak for yourself
Andrew Hulme
Acolyte

Post by Andrew Hulme »

Also the way Chris instantly spotted the conundrum in the semi but waited 28secs to build the tension was very impressive
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I also suspect that Chris' explanation of WOOMERA will get snipped because they had to retake Susie's bit :(
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote:I also suspect that Chris' WOOMERA will get snipped
Ouch.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I just stuck my nob in a blender.
That does sound painful.
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

I think mine was Rachel quite succinctly revealing she reads this forum by asking me during one of the breaks in the filming of my quarter-final if I 'had got any clunge' since my broadcast date.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Jeffrey Burgin wrote:I think mine was Rachel quite succinctly revealing she reads this forum by asking me during one of the breaks in the filming of my quarter-final if I 'had got any clunge' since my broadcast date.
Epic :) May I ask what your response was?
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Getting to see the numbers machine opened up with a hammer and screwdriver before the first numbers game was pretty cool! I said to my mam, 'Carol Vorderman's probably gonna hop out'.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Was it at these recordings that Rachel said the target wrong and afterwards had to pick the correct numbers from the right places and put them up in the right order? Took her ages to remember to put them in back to front and then remember which order she picked them up from.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Was it at these recordings that Rachel said the target wrong and afterwards had to pick the correct numbers from the right places and put them up in the right order? Took her ages to remember to put them in back to front and then remember which order she picked them up from.
Yes, it was the same game - QF3. First game recorded on the Wednesday. That was the same game that Cecil broke.

Cecil broke down for r5. And Rachel said 664 instead of 644 in r10.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

And as it was our first time in the studio, my mam and I thought this was all normal :P
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Howard Somerset wrote:Cecil broke down for r5. And Rachel said 664 instead of 644 in r10.
I was pleased to see that 'he''s still referred to as CECIL as well, despite the move across the Pennines. Distinctly heard Jay use the name on his headset.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

who ever heard of a cecim anyway
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Andy Wilson wrote:who ever heard of a cecim anyway
Or Cecim Korer...