Spoilers for Friday 13th November

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Spoilers for Friday 13th November

Post by Davy Affleck »

I thought I would post this early, if only to beat James Robinson.
Ryan tries to take another giant step for mankind & towards his octochamp quest.
I will need to tape it as I am just leaving for the SECC in tinderbox city to see The Proclaimers giving it laldy.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers for Friday 13th November

Post by James Robinson »

Davy Affleck wrote:I thought I would post this early, if only to beat James Robinson.
Well done.

Hopefully today won't be an unlucky Friday The 13th for Ryan, so hopefully he'll win lucky no.7 today.

I seem to recall Kirky mentioning that Apterite Lucy Bolton is today's challenger. I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong. So much for people saying that I go to the recordings a lot! He seems to have gone to nearly all of them recently. (Must be a privilege being the series champ!)

Anyway, hopefully Ryan will get to win number 7. At least he broke his conundrum duck yesterday. I so thought he was going to miss it again! Thank God I was proven wrong!

Yet again Tim Vine has proven to be a brilliant guest, although a few weren't so keen on his karaoke yesterday. Well, you can't please everyone, can you :?:
Martyn Simpson
Rookie

Post by Martyn Simpson »

Today's challenger is indeed Lucy Bolton, although she only became an apterite after the show; after learning of it in the Green Room before filming!
Martyn Simpson
Rookie

Post by Martyn Simpson »

oh, and Tim Vine is hilarious today.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Martyn Simpson wrote:oh, and Tim Vine is hilarious today.
Oh, I can't wait! ;) :) :D

Unfortunately, I'm playing Dinos in the Apterous tourney soon as I get back, so I'll have to wait till around 6pm to watch today's show. Damn! :x
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

James Robinson wrote:Hopefully today won't be an unlucky Friday The 13th
[...]
hopefully he'll win lucky no.7 today
[...]
hopefully Ryan will get to win number 7
Good to see your posts back to the usual standard of inane repetition today James.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Martyn Simpson wrote:Today's challenger is indeed Lucy Bolton, although she only became an apterite after the show; after learning of it in the Green Room before filming!
And it's good to see attractive young (in relative terms) females on the show every so often.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

James Robinson wrote:So much for people saying that I go to the recordings a lot! He seems to have gone to nearly all of them recently. (
I went with Dinos, Howard and Rich Priest to these recordings actually - then I became Ryan's guest as he wanted some support so I provided.

The start of next week's shows I saw because I had to take the trophy back ready for one of the Series 61 machines to win.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
[...]
[...]
Good to see your posts back to the usual standard of inane repetition today James.
Thanks, Phil. Nice to have a fan of my work.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
[...]
[...]
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Martyn Simpson wrote:Today's challenger is indeed Lucy Bolton, although she only became an apterite after the show; after learning of it in the Green Room before filming!
And it's good to see attractive young (in relative terms) females on the show every so often.
Cool, looking forward to this (more) now :)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Will Lucy beat Ryan today, or will she be another member of the TBNT club?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Martyn Simpson
Rookie

Post by Martyn Simpson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
There's one on every day....
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Martyn Simpson wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
There's one on every day....
Two!
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

1st numbers:

((6 x 10) + 4) x (8 - 1)
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
You've got a real way with the ladies, Kirk.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

SACKFUL?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Charlie starts a thread about words that are only used in the plural and then a word comes up on the programme that can only be used in the singular!
One for the not-really-a-coincidence list.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

PURLOINER RD 9
Oh Susie got it.
Last edited by Liam Tiernan on Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

FUCKLAYS would be nice in R8 ;)

OOps! Sorry Kai!
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

A final vowel instead of a consonant in round 11 would have been E, yielding DEFLATION for 9.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

PEACHIEST. RD 12
Curses foiled again.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I didn't get the TTT LIMEWASH but I reckon LEWISHAM would have been a nicer scramble.

Another hard conundrum for Ryan so his conundrum record stands at 1/7. Can he make it 2/8 on Monday or will he become an octochamp with one of the lowest conundrum records on record?
Martyn Simpson
Rookie

Post by Martyn Simpson »

or will he not become an octochamp at all?!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Martyn Simpson wrote:or will he not become an octochamp at all?!
Or failing to become an octochamp but getting the conundrum thus having a 7-time winner with 2 conundrums - how many other septochamps have this record? That's one for James.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Liam Tiernan wrote:PURLOINER RD 9
Oh Susie got it.
I remember, quite a few years ago, PURLOINED came up and no-one got it. No site to post a spoiler on in those days...which is why I've remembered it!
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Phil Reynolds wrote:A final vowel instead of a consonant in round 11 would have been E, yielding DEFLATION for 9.
But then you wouldn't have got PEACHIEST in Rd 12 because the E would have been taken, thus denying everyone in Countdonia all their collective glories. You beast.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Today was definitely the most luck I had in one show. Missing PEACHIEST and not being punished, not spotting a possible DEFLATION until the clock had started, and Lucy unfortunately not risking HEPATICS and to top it all the numbers game at the end when she could have caught up went my way again.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

And when theres about 5 seconds left on the final numbers round Tim Vine says to me to get it wrong purposely (in case anyone wondered what I was doing at that point)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

D Eadie wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:A final vowel instead of a consonant in round 11 would have been E, yielding DEFLATION for 9.
But then you wouldn't have got PEACHIEST in Rd 12
...which neither contestant spotted anyway, so meh.
You beast.
I've had my moments.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I didn't get the TTT LIMEWASH but I reckon LEWISHAM would have been a nicer scramble.

Was this when you were in the audience, or did you fail to spot it both times round? :mrgreen:
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

D Eadie wrote:

Was this when you were in the audience, or did you fail to spot it both times round? :mrgreen:
Haha, touche. Actually I failed both times. Failing it a second time means I'm super shit.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Failing it a second time means I'm super shit.
That's what Innis said when he smashed all your totals in this series final.

Oops sorry - SPOILER!!
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

What was the story with the guy in the audience who got the conundrum at the end? OK, I wasn't expecting him to get up and do a lap of honour or anything, but christ, he looked as though someone had just told him his dog had died.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

JimBentley wrote:but christ, he looked as though someone had just told him his dog had died.
Er, it had.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
JimBentley wrote:but christ, he looked as though someone had just told him his dog had died.
Er, it had.
Ah well, that clears that up, then. Although you probably only know because you killed it, you dog-murdering bastard.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

JimBentley wrote:What was the story with the guy in the audience who got the conundrum at the end? OK, I wasn't expecting him to get up and do a lap of honour or anything, but christ, he looked as though someone had just told him his dog had died.
If you had acne that bad and someone pointed a TV camera at your face, you'd probably look miserable too.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
JimBentley wrote:What was the story with the guy in the audience who got the conundrum at the end? OK, I wasn't expecting him to get up and do a lap of honour or anything, but christ, he looked as though someone had just told him his dog had died.
If you had acne that bad and someone pointed a TV camera at your face, you'd probably look miserable too.
Bit harsh there Phil.

It's interesting that if Ryan becomes an octochamp, I think he will have probably had one of the easiest runs of numbers, but one of the hardest runs of conundrums.

Also, I think Lucy did well staying concious throughout the show, considering she got stoned and then wasted in the first few minutes.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

JackHurst wrote: Also, I think Lucy did well staying concious throughout the show, considering she got stoned and then wasted in the first few minutes.
Haha I noticed that too!
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

JackHurst wrote:
Also, I think Lucy did well staying concious throughout the show, considering she got stoned and then wasted in the first few minutes.

And brained shortly afterwards.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

JackHurst wrote:Also, I think Lucy did well staying concious throughout the show, considering she got stoned and then wasted in the first few minutes.
:lol:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Great game again, well done Ryan and commiserations Lucy. I'd have had more sympathy if you'd gone for something a bit juicier in that last numbers round though...

Actually great show all round - Jeff and Rachel's banter is now great, Tim's about the best guest atm, everyone looks like they're enjoying themselves. Awesome stuff.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Did anyone else notice that Tim's little placard was incorrect.

He said he put ALPHABETICAL ORDER in alphabetical order, but it was slightly wrong.

It said AAABCDEEHILLOPTRR, rather than AAABCDEEHILLOPRRT
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Ha - that was me. Would you believe that I don't have acne and the first day I get a really bad couple of spots in about half a decade is the day I solve the conundrum on Countdown? My skin is now the very picture of perfection, but sadly Channel 4 weren't up for a re-shoot!

Anyway, sorry I came across as a moody arse. Don't quite know why I've come on here to defend my skin of all things, but just wanted to clear things up - if you don't mind the very mild play on words. ;)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Chris Best wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Ha - that was me. Would you believe that I don't have acne and the first day I get a really bad couple of spots in about half a decade is the day I solve the conundrum on Countdown? My skin is now the very picture of perfection, but sadly Channel 4 weren't up for a re-shoot!

Anyway, sorry I came across as a moody arse. Don't quite know why I've come on here to defend my skin of all things, but just wanted to clear things up - if you don't mind the very mild play on words. ;)
Good post, don't think I'd have responded so politely.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Chris Best wrote:Ha - that was me. Would you believe that I don't have acne and the first day I get a really bad couple of spots in about half a decade is the day I solve the conundrum on Countdown? My skin is now the very picture of perfection, but sadly Channel 4 weren't up for a re-shoot!

Good post, don't think I'd have responded so politely.
Nor me, I'd have told me to fuck off. But then, that's pretty much my answer to everything. Anyway, hello Chris!
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Chris Best wrote:Don't quite know why I've come on here to defend my skin of all things, but just wanted to clear things up - if you don't mind the very mild play on words. ;)
Excellent post - welcome Chris and sorry for the gratuitous insult for the sake of a cheap gag. ;)
Charlie Reams wrote:don't think I'd have responded so politely.
I'm damn sure you wouldn't have.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Well done Ryan again, very tough luck Lucy and welcome Chris! Might we see you in the challenger's chair someday? Excellent spot by the way :roll:
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Chris Best wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:

Get your moody arse on apterous.com, cos that was quite a good spot.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Ben Hunter wrote:Get your moody arse on apterous.com, cos that was quite a good spot.
Better still, get on apterous.org, a site which hosts a remarkably familiar words-and-numbers game.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote:Get your moody arse on apterous.com, cos that was quite a good spot.
Better still, get on apterous.org, a site which hosts a remarkably familiar words-and-numbers game.
That's the site I was on about.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Andy Wilson wrote: Excellent spot by the way :roll:
Priceless. :D
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I didn't get the TTT LIMEWASH but I reckon LEWISHAM would have been a nicer scramble.

Another hard conundrum for Ryan so his conundrum record stands at 1/7. Can he make it 2/8 on Monday or will he become an octochamp with one of the lowest conundrum records on record?
Just out of interest has anyone ever got 0/8? I am anxious to break at least one record, and I think 1/8 would be a nice one to have.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jeffrey Burgin wrote:

Just out of interest has anyone ever got 0/8? I am anxious to break at least one record, and I think 1/8 would be a nice one to have.
I think the CDB data might be a bit wrong, but according to this, three people have got zero. Hopefully someone with a pedantic streak will check it out for me.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I don't know about what the rest of you have just seen, but I don't know what to make of Andy because I don't know what he's saying or how he's feeling.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

I wasn't saying much Jason and i'm feeling pretty ok thanks :)
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Charlie Reams wrote:I think the CDB data might be a bit wrong, but according to this, three people have got zero. Hopefully someone with a pedantic streak will check it out for me.
Not around much until next Monday, but if it's not sorted by then I might have a look.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Sorry, Andy
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Jason Larsen wrote:Sorry, Andy
No worries Jason! ;)
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

Andy Wilson wrote:Well done Ryan again, very tough luck Lucy and welcome Chris! Might we see you in the challenger's chair someday? Excellent spot by the way :roll:
Although never say never - I don't think I'll ever be in the chair. Just went along as a fan of the show - although after seeing it in real life it did whet my whistle somewhat. Think I'd have to do a lot of practising though - I hardly EVER get the conundrum, it was just one of those lucky times I guess!
Phil Reynolds wrote: Excellent post - welcome Chris and sorry for the gratuitous insult for the sake of a cheap gag. ;)
Thanks Phil - don't worry about it. I've had worse said about me! :D