Spoilers For Tuesday November 10th 2009

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers For Tuesday November 10th 2009

Post by James Robinson »

D Eadie wrote:We are prob doing 4 specials for 2010 to cover various bits and pieces, so will definitely get in touch with Lesley with a view to inviting her take part in one of these, but the old argument about coming back on in the series proper is done and dusted as far as i am concerned.
Just out of curiosity, who else have you got planned to take part in these specials? Or, have you not given it too much thought at the moment?
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

James Robinson wrote:Just out of curiosity, who else have you got planned to take part in these specials? Or, have you not given it too much thought at the moment?
I think being on the show FOUR times might be stretching it just a tad. :P
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

I wouldn't get too excited about these specials. as much as Damian probably wants to do special episodes, he still has to rely on the cooperation of both the ITV production company and the Channel 4 schedulers. There was a whole thread not so long ago asking for suggestions for specials, and these never happened in the end. There are a lot of factors involved once you move outside the standard daily format.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Jeffrey Burgin wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Just out of curiosity, who else have you got planned to take part in these specials? Or, have you not given it too much thought at the moment?
I think being on the show FOUR times might be stretching it just a tad. :P
Ha - Mr Showbiz - not heard from much of late, pops up at great speed to say

'NOT YOU, ROBINSON'

Hee Hee (or do I mean 'Hear, Hear ;) )
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I mentioned to Lesley after the show that it was quite likely that she might hold the record as the highest scoring losing debutant. But on checking, found that Terry Rattle scored just a few more.

However, I think I have now found a record which Lesley can proudly boast as her own (until she returns for one of those specials which Damian has just mentioned). As far as I can see, only two other players have never scored less that 100, Craig Beavers and Julian Fell. But, on one occasion, Craig scored 103, and Julian scored 100 just once. So Lesley can proudly claim to be the contestant who has the highest lowest score. :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Rachel v Carol Numbers Attack special :P
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

D Eadie wrote: With regard to the other comments about Jackie and the quarter-finals......you don't actually qualify for the QF's until you've either retired as an Octochamp or have been defeated in the heats, so Jackie couldn't have taken part in the last series QF's.
Interestingly, supposing Jackie doesn't make these series finals, she would be kicking herself as she could have purposely lost in the last series and been #8 seed. Of course she wouldn't do this as she had the goal of becoming an octochamp. Interesting "tactics".
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
D Eadie wrote: With regard to the other comments about Jackie and the quarter-finals......you don't actually qualify for the QF's until you've either retired as an Octochamp or have been defeated in the heats, so Jackie couldn't have taken part in the last series QF's.
Interestingly, supposing Jackie doesn't make these series finals, she would be kicking herself as she could have purposely lost in the last series and been #8 seed. Of course she wouldn't do this as she had the goal of becoming an octochamp. Interesting "tactics".
I do hope that Jackie makes it as it would be a shame if there were no women in the quarter finals.
Although on the whole there are far fewer women contestants than men.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Having just read Derek Hazell's post about them probably not happening, i think we'd better just forget about it. :lol:
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Interestingly, supposing Jackie doesn't make these series finals, she would be kicking herself as she could have purposely lost in the last series and been #8 seed. Of course she wouldn't do this as she had the goal of becoming an octochamp. Interesting "tactics".
It wouldn't have worked, Kirk. She'd have had to have lost that final prelim game of the last series yet scored 109 or more, in order to make #8 seed. And her opponent only had a raw score of 69.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Howard Somerset wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:Interestingly, supposing Jackie doesn't make these series finals, she would be kicking herself as she could have purposely lost in the last series and been #8 seed. Of course she wouldn't do this as she had the goal of becoming an octochamp. Interesting "tactics".
It wouldn't have worked, Kirk. She'd have had to have lost that final prelim game of the last series yet scored 109 or more, in order to make #8 seed. And her opponent only had a raw score of 69.

Not only that, if you're confident enough to deliberately lose in order to take on the #1 seed in the QF's, then surely you're confident enough to think you can become an Octochamp.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

D Eadie wrote: Not only that, if you're confident enough to deliberately lose in order to take on the #1 seed in the QF's, then surely you're confident enough to think you can become an Octochamp.
True, but if all she wants is a glass trophy to say she made the last 8 then that's her prerogative.
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

Kirk Bevins wrote:P.s I've had my hair cut since - didn't realise how silly I look!

Was that your sister that was standing in for you?
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Jon Corby wrote:Rachel v Carol Numbers Attack special :P
I couldn't see this happening even if Carol hadn't left acrimoniously. A friendly game, with professional reputations to protect, would surely point to a very close game. Both emerge with equal credit, but it all looks far too convenient.

If it were promoted like a boxing match, with a massive guaranteed purse, that might change things. Even then I don't think it would ever happen because Carol would demand 10 times Rachel's fee, anything less being an admission that her standing had already fallen.

I wonder how a tie would be resolved :cry:
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

Clive Brooker wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Rachel v Carol Numbers Attack special :P
I wonder how a tie would be resolved :cry:

Mud wrestling?
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

I've watched this game this evening, and I'd like to add my congratulations to Ryan and Lesley for a brilliant game. :D
Commiserations to Lesley for coming up against a fearsome opponent.

I suppose I sort of understand why Damian doesn't want to countenance returning losing contestants, but I don't think I'll ever agree with it. To score over a hundred, especially when you have to equal or better another brilliant player in order to gain points, is quite a feat. The long words have to be spotted, even if the selections are better than average.

It made for a magnificent match, though. 8-)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Only just watched this programme, what a great advert for Countdown if ever there is a need for one. SWMBO was rooting for Lesley and to be honest I think I was too.
Well played both of you, Lesley you are so refreshing on screen, let's hope we get to see you again at some point.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

This game was very good. LYONNAISE was a great spot by DC.
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has only just watched my Sky+ recording of Ryan and Lesley's game as I was thinking it was too late to comment. This was almost the best game I've seen to date. Both Ryan and Lesley played brilliantly and made wonderful viewing. I do hope we see Lesley again sometime. It was such a shame she came up against another top player as she really did deserve to win. A game like this occasionally really does make the whole progamme so worth while and the Daily Mail needs to take this into account when they so merrily keep declaring that Countdown is on it's way out.