Forget it. It's crap.

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Alec Rivers
Devotee

Forget it. It's crap.

Post by Alec Rivers »

Puzzles like this can help determine if your thought patterns resemble those of a psychopath.

A woman is at her mother's funeral when she meets a guy who has come to pay his respects. He says he's a family friend but she has never seen him before. Despite this, she instantly falls in love with him but he's gone before she's had the chance to get his name or number. Nobody else seems to know who he is. Three days later her sister dies.

What happened?

EDIT: Title changed
Last edited by Alec Rivers on Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Funeral

Post by Charlie Reams »

Is it possible to expect to be disappointed?
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Charlie Reams wrote:Is it possible to expect to be disappointed?
Do you mean me not receiving any replies? I've got no problem with that. I've just chucked it out there and if it falls flat, so be it. If you think I should edit out that last line, just say so and I will. ;)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Alec Rivers wrote:
Do you mean me not receiving any replies? I've got no problem with that. I've just chucked it out there and if it falls flat, so be it. If you think I should edit out that last line, just say so and I will. ;)
No, I mean these puzzles are always stupid because there's a million possible explanations and the chance of me thinking up the same one as you is, well, slim. You don't want to be the new Kieran Child, do you?!
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Charlie Reams wrote:No, I mean these puzzles are always stupid because there's a million possible explanations and the chance of me thinking up the same one as you is, well, slim.
Oh I see. Okay, I'll add a clue and remove that last line.
Charlie Reams wrote:You don't want to be the new Kieran Child, do you?!
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Alec Rivers wrote:
No, I mean these puzzles are always stupid because there's a million possible explanations and the chance of me thinking up the same one as you is, well, slim. You don't want to be the new Kieran Child, do you?!
Not if you know how to google
(but I still don't know how to use the quote facility properly)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Re: Funeral - a psychology test

Post by Ian Volante »

There's a clue? Sheesh.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Phil Reynolds, via PM, wrote:He's the doctor who diagnosed the mother as having the incurable congenital disease which killed her. He can't tell the woman at the funeral this because of patient confidentiality, but her sister has the same condition.

Amiright?
It's a fantastic answer, one I've not heard before. But you're not a psychopath. ;)
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Ian Volante wrote:There's a clue? Sheesh.
Yep, the fact that it's encouraging you to think like a psycho. That should narrow the possible answers down a bit. :D
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Alec Rivers wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:There's a clue? Sheesh.
Yep, the fact that it's encouraging you to think like a psycho. That should narrow the possible answers down a bit. :D
He shagged her sister to death and farted in the general direction of her auntie? While wearing bloomers? That would appear reasonably psychotic to me.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Ian Volante wrote:He shagged her sister to death and farted in the general direction of her auntie? While wearing bloomers? That would appear reasonably psychotic to me.
Also not the answer. Incidentally, 'psychotic' and 'psychopathic' are quite different things. But keep guessing. ;)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:these puzzles are always stupid because there's a million possible explanations and the chance of me thinking up the same one as you is, well, slim.
Alec Rivers wrote:it's encouraging you to think like a psycho. That should narrow the possible answers down a bit.
I don't get these things. Maybe my mind just doesn't work how it's supposed to.
"This could have a million answers, how can I choose one?" pops into my head rather than suddenly finding myself thinking of a particular scenario.
I think of the existence of a multiplicity of 'correct' answers, without spending a moment actually thinking of a single specific circumstance of any one of those answers.
Maybe that's cos when I read it it was still a "puzzle" and not a "psychology test" so I was still approaching it in a "sort the evidence out, find THE right answer" way.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Alec Rivers wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:He shagged her sister to death and farted in the general direction of her auntie? While wearing bloomers? That would appear reasonably psychotic to me.
Also not the answer. Incidentally, 'psychotic' and 'psychopathic' are quite different things. But keep guessing. ;)
What, so there is a single answer? There isn't. There can't be. Am I fucking dumb or what? Bring back Kieran Child.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Alec Rivers wrote:
What, so there is a single answer? There isn't. There can't be. Am I fucking dumb or what? Bring back Kieran Child.
Wow, I had a mind meld with you there, Matt! I was just typing a similar thing, and I also added "Can we have the old Kieran Child back, and let this guy do puzzles sometimes if he wants to too? I like puzzles that make you think, and the answers to Kieran's never reached the "d'oh" level of someone like Douglas Wilson." :)
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Alec Rivers wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:No, I mean these puzzles are always stupid because there's a million possible explanations and the chance of me thinking up the same one as you is, well, slim.
Uh oh - Charlie's premenstrual again . :shock:
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Matt Morrison wrote:What, so there is a single answer? There isn't. There can't be. Am I fucking dumb or what? Bring back Kieran Child.
Okay, it's all gone Pete Tong because the way I initially presented the question was unclear, and my subsequent amendments actually made matters worse. Tell you what, here's the answer that would suggest a psychopathic mind: It's the woman who kills her sister in the hope that the guy will come to that funeral as well, so she can meet him again.

Sorry for the balls-up.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Re: Forget it. It's crap.

Post by Derek Hazell »

I fail to see how you messed it up. All the information to get to that point was there. It's just none of us got it - which can only be a good sign can't it? We may not be sharing the forum with any psychopaths.

Having said that, I didn't seen your original post before the edit though.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Alec Rivers wrote:
Uh oh - Charlie's premenstrual again . :shock:
Says the woman who posted this
Sue Sanders wrote:
Liam Tiernan wrote:In no particular order:
Life of Brian
Raising Arizona
Manon des Sources
The Magnificent Seven
The Great Escape
Saving Private Ryan
The Majestic
Unforgiven
Blade Runner
The Shawshank Redemption
Manon de Sources - good call, and yet, Jean de Florette not listed. Are you missing a chromosome?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Wow, how long have you been waiting to do that.
(oh shit, I used a false stop and now I think it should have been a question mark).
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Marc Meakin wrote:Wow, how long have you been waiting to do that.
(oh shit, I used a false stop and now I think it should have been a question mark).
Surely you needed an interrobang‽
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Marc Meakin wrote:false stop
What's that then?
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Ian Volante wrote:
What's that then?
It's the opposite of a false start; e.g. where you erroneously carry on typing even though you've already finished the sentence grapejuice entropy Belgium.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ian Volante wrote:
What's that then?
Can't believe I did that, I have a blind spot for certain words and phrases.
I think I should wear a fools top for writing that one. (or made to jump up and down on one leg. Geddit)
I used to think that the song "When will I see you again" was sung by Frieda Greaves.
Last edited by Marc Meakin on Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

A fools top! (A fool's top?) Brilliant. I'm going to replace my hairshirt with one.

Oh dear, the chromosome remark wasn't meant to be a festerer! But if anyone is thinking of watching the fabulous 'Manon de Source', the way for glorious, heartbreaking tragedy of it is paved in the first part of the story - 'Jean de Florette'. Anyone wanting to sit down in from of the telly for six hours of beautiful French cinematography, with a box of tissues should seek the two films out

(full stop/false top/fools top) > > > .

Period. Oh, back to Charlie's cycle again!!!
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Alec Rivers wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:What, so there is a single answer? There isn't. There can't be. Am I fucking dumb or what? Bring back Kieran Child.
Okay, it's all gone Pete Tong because the way I initially presented the question was unclear, and my subsequent amendments actually made matters worse. Tell you what, here's the answer that would suggest a psychopathic mind: It's the woman who kills her sister in the hope that the guy will come to that funeral as well, so she can meet him again.

Sorry for the balls-up.

Oh dear, I just pm-ed you this scenario which confirms the diagnosis of many eminent psychiatrists.

You didn't balls this up though: people assumed it was a puzzle when it's a multi-scenario option response, your choice of which determines if you are a nutter or not.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

David O'Donnell wrote:Oh dear, I just pm-ed you this scenario which confirms the diagnosis of many eminent psychiatrists.
And I just read your pm before seeing this post. lol. I'm sure you'll understand my curt reply. ;)
David O'Donnell wrote:You didn't balls this up though: people assumed it was a puzzle when it's a multi-scenario option response, your choice of which determines if you are a nutter or not.
Thanks. I agree, but I couldn't be bothered to defend it so I just gave up. :|
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

On second thoughts, you did seem to call it a puzzle but maybe that doesn't imply there is only one answer.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

David O'Donnell wrote:On second thoughts, you did seem to call it a puzzle but maybe that doesn't imply there is only one answer.
Yeah. It was called 'a puzzle' in the title to begin with (I think), and then later described, as you can see now, in terms of "Puzzles like this".
'Puzzle' doesn't necessarily imply there's only one answer, but I think it certainly implies that you're supposed to use the evidence presented to work something out.

This was more of a psychological survey :)
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

I came, I saw, I concurred.

Sorry, no idea what the Latin for that is.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Cameni, Sarone, Concurrious. Maybe.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Lol, well done Matt. I was trying to think of a funny response to that, but gave up.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Derek Hazell wrote:Lol, well done Matt. I was trying to think of a funny response to that, but gave up.
I'm not entirely sure I succeeded either.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Matt Morrison wrote:Cameni, Sarone, Concurrious. Maybe.
No veni, vidi then?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Alec Rivers wrote:
No veni, vidi then?
I refuse to believe for a single second that you didn't know what it was yourself, or that you actually wanted someone to supply the right answer, unless there was some kind of punchline you planned to follow up with. If that is the case, then this should please you:

Veni, vidi, vici.

Fire away.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Alec Rivers wrote:
No veni, vidi then?
I refuse to believe for a single second that you didn't know what it was yourself, or that you actually wanted someone to supply the right answer, unless there was some kind of punchline you planned to follow up with. If that is the case, then this should please you:

Veni, vidi, vici.

Fire away.
Erm, no punchline, I'm afraid. My post initially just read "I concur". I thought that was boring so I changed it to "I came, I saw, I concurred" but, not knowing 'I concurred' in Latin (not 'vici', as that means 'I conquered'), I decided instead to draw attention to my not knowing. ;)

"Veni, vidi, concuri" perhaps?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ah yeah, my bad. I thought you were requesting someone to post Veni, vidi, vici which is obviously mind-blowingly obvious, so you can see why I expected some sort of punchline!

Veni, vidi, viconcur it is then.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Matt Morrison wrote:Veni, vidi, viconcur it is then.
If you say so. lol. I never studied Latin. :roll:

Thanks, btw.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I speak latin like a native

I came I saw I fell asleep
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

I've seen this before with the line that 98% of serial killers get this right. My aunt's a criminal psychiatrist and it's not a test she's ever used on any of her patients (or even heard of). Also, I tried it at someone else's family party and was horribly embarrassed when the very sweet 15yo daughter got it right. What they don't tell you is the percentage of perfectly normal people that get it right (although I was relieved not to!). Still, all that said the answer's quite a nice one and it's interesting.
Lowering the averages since 2009