People who quit what they're known for

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

People who quit what they're known for

Post by Jason Larsen »

So, I bet Nicholas Parsons will host "Just a Minute" for the rest of his life because it seems like it's an institution. Simon Cowell just renewed his contract for 3 more years on "American Idol" and Cat Deeley has made quite a name for herself in America on "So You Think You Can Dance." The trouble is, there are people out there who have no idea who these people are. They would ask who they are because they want to show that they are paying attention to whoever they are talking to.

Disproving this, the ratings of "Countdown" are plummeting, and some people think it is because Rachel Riley was not famous before she went on "Countdown." Living proof of this can be found all over the Internet because there are billions of people in this world.

What if, all of a sudden, Rachel were to quit "Countdown?" I understand, there would be mixed reactions all over the world because some people care and other people just don't, but what I am wondering is, if we loyal fans of the show witnessed the unthinkable happen, would we be able to get over it?

Can anyone tell me if Rachel had any other jobs before she went on Countdown? If not, she's out of luck because I don't know what else she can do!

I'm not trying to put words in anyone's mouth.

I'm sorry if anyone seems confused about this thread. It was inspired by my reply to the post I made about the new Rachel Riley blog. What I am trying to do is understand both points of view that someone could possibly have about "Countdown" and why, all of a sudden, people have stopped watching. Do they not understand that change happens?
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Re: People who quit what they're known for

Post by Ben Hunter »

Jason Larsen wrote:Can anyone tell me if Rachel had any other jobs before she went on Countdown? If not, she's out of luck because I don't know what else she can do!
She has a degree in Maths from Oxford so I'm sure there's plenty of work for her out there. If she ever did leave I could imagine her doing science shows on telly or something, but really I've no idea.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you, Ben.

I wasn't trying to do any bad foreshadowing, but maybe I was thinking about the economy of the world. I don't know!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jason Larsen wrote:I was thinking about the economy of the world.
Let us know what you conclude.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Charlie, granted, we all know Rachel is very popular on Countdown now, but what if, say 40 years from now we find out that Rachel is doing something completely different? What if the job Rachel ends up doing involves complete strangers? We all know Jeff Stelling, but what if Rachel eventually has to deal with a bunch of John Does every day?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jason Larsen wrote:We all know Jeff Stelling, but what if Rachel eventually has to deal with a bunch of John Does every day?
I can't imagine her mathematical training would be that useful in a morgue, but maybe she could be a homicide detective, so I'm sure she'd enjoy that.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote: I can't imagine her mathematical training would be that useful in a morgue
I am confident she could handle a few stiffs should the need arise.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Chris Corby wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote: I can't imagine her mathematical training would be that useful in a morgue
I am confident she could handle a few stiffs should the need arise.

Chris!!! You'll get a reputation!
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Jason Larsen wrote:We all know Jeff Stelling,.............

Speak for yourself! I had never heard of him before he came on Countdown (or Rachel Riley) but I like them both and think they do a brilliant job.
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote: maybe she could be a homicide detective, so I'm sure she'd enjoy that.
Or maybe she could become an actress and play a homicide detective who uses mathematical skills in algebra, calculus etc to solve crimes. Kinda The Mentalist meets The Big Bang Theory.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

America, here comes Rachel Riley, if she wants to be that brave and daring. I doubt it.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Jason Larsen wrote:America, here comes Rachel Riley, if she wants to be that brave and daring. I doubt it.
Apart from having to cope with the über-paranoid authorities, how is going to America brave and daring?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Moving to another country is hard regardless.