See for see

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

See for see

Post by Derek Hazell »

The Internet is a funny old place really. We all chat away on here as if we know each other, even though most of us have never even met. That's not quite as big a thing on here as on many sites, as at least quite a few of you have met at various tournaments, or even on the show.

I'm just thinking about how natural it all seems, even though a few years ago the Internet didn't even feature in a lot of our lives.

I've just met fellow forum member Sue Sanders, as she was passing through Oxford (where I work). So at least we can also vouch for each other being who we say we are now. :)

What have your experiences been like of meeting people from online? I find that mostly they are very much how you expect them to be, particularly if you have been talking to them/reading their messages for a while. But I know that people can sometimes be shocked too.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Re: See for see

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Derek Hazell wrote:What have your experiences been like of meeting people from online? I find that mostly they are very much how you expect them to be, particularly if you have been talking to them/reading their messages for a while. But I know that people can sometimes be shocked too.
I've already mentioned (in the third paragraph of this post) my generally positive experience of meeting other forumites at the Series 60 finals. I think that, as you say, when you've read a large number of someone's posts, you do build up a fairly accurate impression of what they're like (in personality terms at any rate - their physical appearance can come as a shock).

I was more surprised (though goodness knows why I should be) by how amiable I found the people who don't necessarily spend every waking hour posting here and who I therefore had no expectations of either way. Both Jonathan Coles and Richard Priest chatted to me for quite a while even though I don't imagine they had a clue who I was. Philip Jarvis was very friendly, as was Chris Kirby (who I'd only encountered on Apterous at that point). And Ben Hunter is lovely. Sorry Ben, but you are.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I got to know Kirby and Charlie on our midnight adventure in Leeds, had some classic moments and it's something I still talk about with people today (in fact I was in Leeds last week trying to find the wall I slept on). Charlie's as crazily witty as he is on this forum and Kirby too was a top bloke. Reynolds was sound as a pound; a good conversationalist and story teller. Doohan was sound as a pound too, a friendly and funny guy. Gough and Zussman were lovely. Didn't really talk to anyone else for long enough but they were all sound as pounds.

She doesn't post here but Rachel, Jeff and Damien are all ace and easy to get on with.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Derek Hazell wrote: I've just met fellow forum member Sue Sanders, as she was passing through Oxford (where I work). So at least we can also vouch for each other being who we say we are now. :)
Yep. 'Strue. Dez really IS a golden labrador.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Ben Hunter wrote:I got to know Kirby and Charlie on our midnight adventure in Leeds, had some classic moments and it's something I still talk about with people today (in fact I was in Leeds last week trying to find the wall I slept on). Charlie's as crazily witty as he is on this forum and Kirby too was a top bloke. Reynolds was sound as a pound; a good conversationalist and story teller. Doohan was sound as a pound too, a friendly and funny guy. Gough and Zussman were lovely. Didn't really talk to anyone else for long enough but they were all sound as pounds.
So, basically, what you're saying is, I talk a lot. About myself, usually. Yeah, OK, it's a fair cop. :oops:

But how come Charlie is the only one of us who merits a first name?
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote:I got to know Kirby and Charlie on our midnight adventure in Leeds, had some classic moments and it's something I still talk about with people today (in fact I was in Leeds last week trying to find the wall I slept on). Charlie's as crazily witty as he is on this forum and Kirby too was a top bloke. Reynolds was sound as a pound; a good conversationalist and story teller. Doohan was sound as a pound too, a friendly and funny guy. Gough and Zussman were lovely. Didn't really talk to anyone else for long enough but they were all sound as pounds.
So, basically, what you're saying is, I talk a lot. About myself, usually. Yeah, OK, it's a fair cop. :oops:

But how come Charlie is the only one of us who merits a first name?
Maybe he's the only one who didn't earn a last name...
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Ben Hunter wrote:Maybe he's the only one who didn't earn a last name...
To be fair, some of us don't even manage a first name or a last name, but instead just get a question.
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

Well I met Darren Carter at my shows, having talked to him quite a lot on Apterous before our recordings, and he turned out to be exactly as I expected him to be. :)
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Jeffrey Burgin wrote:Well I met Darren Carter at my shows, having talked to him quite a lot on Apterous before our recordings, and he turned out to be exactly as I expected him to be. :)
That's informative!!!!! :lol:
Fool's top.
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

Sue Sanders wrote:That's informative!!!!! :lol:
Don't you know he's a massive dickhead? I thought this was common knowledge... :P
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I like to think the regular co-events (CoLei October 10th COLIN January 30th :)) and the various studio visits play a part in how close this forum is- as does the 'real names only' rule, something other forums could well benefit from. It'd be interesting to run a 'how many c4cers have you met in real life' topic/competition- I'd like to think I'd win that but I'd have some stiff competition.

Incidentally everyone I've met in real life from the forums past and present has been great, even total sociopaths like Zef. :)
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Ben Wilson wrote:I like to think the regular co-events (CoLei October 10th COLIN January 30th :)) and the various studio visits play a part in how close this forum is- as does the 'real names only' rule, something other forums could well benefit from. It'd be interesting to run a 'how many c4cers have you met in real life' topic/competition- I'd like to think I'd win that but I'd have some stiff competition.

Incidentally everyone I've met in real life from the forums past and present has been great, even total sociopaths like Zef. :)
Wow, you've met Zef? So some people know who he is then.

I agree, you'd probably win on quantity of meets, partly because you have been involved in the show for longer than many, and partly because of all the events you have organized.

So total twatism and Countdown are mutually exclusive then, or at least C4C members. Although, I'd like to think that some of us are a bit of a twat.

EDIT: Hello Zef!
Last edited by Derek Hazell on Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Ben Hunter wrote:Didn't really talk to anyone else for long enough but they were all sound as pounds.
Ben - Since I'm not mentioned earlier, I guess I must fall into this category? I'm shocked that I didn't qualify as somebody who spent a reasonable amount of time talking to you :cry: If my memory serves me correctly, we had a chat whenever we could during the 5 recordings we sat next to each other. On that basis, you must have talked the hind leg off a horse with the others you mention. For the record, I also thought you were as sound as a pound. :D :D

I recall briefly chatting with some of the younger C4C members (Nick, Dan, Kirk, Charlie and Chris Kirby) but I actually spent most of my time talking to those closer to my own age (albeit non-C4cers) - Shane Roberts, Cate Henderson, Hamish Williamson and Jonathan Coles. I'll also give a special mention to Phil Reynolds. I recognised and introduced myself to him as soon as he walked into the Reception area. Phil kept me and others entertained throughout the day with tales of his appearances on other shows etc.

Finally, I found Kate Horton to be an extremely nice person. We had a right good chat and it was a bonus for me to get a lift home in her taxi, courtesy of Channel 4.

(Apologies to anybody else I may have spoken to but failed to mention).
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I knew I'd forgotten to mention some people. If it makes you feel better you were all sound as pounds (Michael, Phil, Simon, Julie, Kirk...), in fact I'm starting to remember some fragments of conversations I had now, something about signature words and raccoons :lol:
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Jeffrey Burgin wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:That's informative!!!!! :lol:
Don't you know he's a massive dickhead? I thought this was common knowledge... :P

Ah...now THAT'S informative! :lol:
Fool's top.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

When I met Sue Sanders last week, she loaned (lent?) me a DVD of her Countdown episode. Well, I have just posted it to Thomas "Countdowngoofs" Wood, as we agreed I would when I'd watched it. So you'll all be able to see it on Youtube soon!

NB Howard/Kai, I notice this is one of the episodes which hasn't been checked by a human yet for the Wiki. Would either of you be interested in doing it?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

The DVD didn't also happen to have the Trinny & Susannah episode on it where she flashed her chebs did it?
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Jon Corby wrote:The DVD didn't also happen to have the Trinny & Susannah episode on it where she flashed her chebs did it?
Hehe, well-remembered Jon! But no, I'm afraid she is still trying to dig them, I meant that, out.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:The DVD didn't also happen to have the Trinny & Susannah episode on it where she flashed her chebs did it?
Hehe, well-remembered Jon! But no, I'm afraid she is still trying to dig them, I meant that, out.
God. She sounds like a right tart :o

Oh.
Fool's top.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

A side of that tedious couple which I'd never previously expected to see. I'd still not like to have to sit through all that fatuous shite to see it though. Anyone got highlights?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Ian Volante wrote:
A side of that tedious couple which I'd never previously expected to see. I'd still not like to have to sit through all that fatuous shite to see it though. Anyone got highlights?
Hmmm. No-one's ever refered to my norks as a 'tedious couple' before :cry:
Fool's top.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Sue Sanders wrote:Hmmm. No-one's ever refered to my norks as a 'tedious couple' before :cry:
We can none of us afford to be complacent, Sue: when was the last time they did anything innovative?
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:Hmmm. No-one's ever refered to my norks as a 'tedious couple' before :cry:
We can none of us afford to be complacent, Sue: when was the last time they did anything innovative?
They managed to appear on Charlie Brooker's 'Screenwipe' a few months ago. I didn't know they were going to be on there so they must have arranged that behind my back. I hope they negoitated themselves a decent fee.

:?
Fool's top.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Sue Sanders wrote:They managed to appear on Charlie Brooker's 'Screenwipe' a few months ago. I didn't know they were going to be on there so they must have arranged that behind my back. I hope they negoitated themselves a decent fee.
Let's hope creative differences don't lead to a big falling-out.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Sue Sanders wrote: they must have arranged that behind my back.
That really IS innovative!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Rosemary Roberts wrote:
They managed to appear on Charlie Brooker's 'Screenwipe' a few months ago. I didn't know they were going to be on there so they must have arranged that behind my back. I hope they negoitated themselves a decent fee.

:?
I think I missed a crucial earlier post!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Derek Hazell wrote:When I met Sue Sanders last week, she loaned (lent?) me a DVD of her Countdown episode. Well, I have just posted it to Thomas "Countdowngoofs" Wood, as we agreed I would when I'd watched it. So you'll all be able to see it on Youtube soon!
I have just found out that the guy who beat our very own Sue on her appearance was at COLIN 2006, so several of you have actually met and/or played him!
So he had already got some practice in at tournament standard, which makes it all the more impressive that it was such a close game. Not much longer to wait to see it now - Thomas is just finishing uploading his 2002 stuff first.

NB Howard/Kai, I notice this is one of the episodes which hasn't been checked by a human yet for the Wiki. Would either of you be interested in doing it?
A belated thank you, Kai, for doing this.
Andy Thomson
Acolyte

Post by Andy Thomson »

I belong to a small forum that emerged from a well-known travel forum. In the past couple of years I've met quite a number of the contributors and have formed lasting friendships with most of them. On our most recent trip to the States, my wife and I stayed with a friend in New Jersey and another couple in Colorado. So, although there have been one or two embers of that forum that I haven't liked, I simply have made no effort to get to them and have concentrated on those that I like and for me the experience of 'meeting' people online has been almost entirely positive.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

The Sue Sanders/Maurice Brown episode is now available to view online.

Thank you to Thomas Wood (Countdowngoofs).
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

And I didn't know some of Julian's games were on there....

This is part 1 of his first show.

I think his first three shows are on youtube at the moment, and his special with Chris Wills.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:And I didn't know some of Julian's games were on there....

This is part 1 of his first show.

I think his first three shows are on youtube at the moment, and his special with Chris Wills.
The first 3 are on as you said, but I haven't done the historical recaps for them, since they have already been done.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Found this about Carol Vorderman and look who the lord mayor is. :D