Which would you rather play? (tournament planning)

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.

Which of these formats would you prefer?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:12 pm

Two 9-round games
45%
One custom game (described below)
36%
I would play either
18%
I would play neither
No votes
These are fine, but really you want... (fill in below)
No votes

Total votes: 11

Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Which would you rather play? (tournament planning)

Post by Andrew Feist »

So I'm sketching out my plans for the Apterous Winter Closed (coming relatively soon!), and I want to include a "Speed Demon" side event. I've come up with a couple different formats, and I thought I'd see which one has more support outside of my fevered imagination.

Option 1: Each match would consist of two speed-9 games (or perhaps a speed 9 and a speed 9 goat, or a speed 9 and a speed 9 junior, or et cetera).

Option 2: Each match would be a "custom" round of 4 speed standard word rounds, 4 speed goat rounds, 4 speed junior rounds, 4 speed goat junior rounds, and 4 speed standard number rounds. Winners only scoring (so each section would count the same).

So: pick and choose above. If you've got some other format you're dying to see, post that too.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Which would you rather play? (tournament planning)

Post by Charlie Reams »

Andrew Feist wrote: Option 2: Each match would be a "custom" round of 4 speed standard word rounds, 4 speed goat rounds, 4 speed junior rounds, 4 speed goat junior rounds, and 4 speed standard number rounds. Winners only scoring (so each section would count the same).
Colour me stupid but, I don't understand this at all.
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Andrew Feist wrote: Option 2: Each match would be a "custom" round of 4 speed standard word rounds, 4 speed goat rounds, 4 speed junior rounds, 4 speed goat junior rounds, and 4 speed standard number rounds. Winners only scoring (so each section would count the same).
Basically what he's saying is each match would be a "custom" round of 4 speed standard word rounds, 4 speed goat rounds, 4 speed junior rounds, 4 speed goat junior rounds, and 4 speed standard number rounds. Winners only scoring (so each section would count the same).
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:
I think the confusion might be rising from Andy not understanding the Full Custom game, and that to do what is described above you would have to play a minimum of 4 custom games in order to accommodate all those rounds, not just one. That's possibly the confusion, although admittedly Feist usually knows what he's talking about so that'd perhaps be an uncharacteristic mess-up.

So a total of 20 rounds, with 1 point to the victor of each round, most points over the whole 20 wins. It would be a mess though having to conduct each "match" over 4 or 5 games, so not an option for me.
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
I think the confusion might be rising from Andy not understanding the Full Custom game, and that to do what is described above you would have to play a minimum of 4 custom games in order to accommodate all those rounds, not just one. That's possibly the confusion, although admittedly Feist usually knows what he's talking about so that'd perhaps be an uncharacteristic mess-up.
That's almost certainly the confusion. Obviously if I had tried to set up such a game before I set up the poll I probably would have worded it differently, as in four custom games, <description here>.

I'm guessing this is one case where my fevered imagination turned into hallucinations.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Andrew Feist wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:I think the confusion might be rising from Andy not understanding the Full Custom game, and that to do what is described above you would have to play a minimum of 4 custom games in order to accommodate all those rounds, not just one. That's possibly the confusion, although admittedly Feist usually knows what he's talking about so that'd perhaps be an uncharacteristic mess-up.
That's almost certainly the confusion. Obviously if I had tried to set up such a game before I set up the poll I probably would have worded it differently, as in four custom games, <description here>.

I'm guessing this is one case where my fevered imagination turned into hallucinations.
Cool. Glad I was on the money. Yeah you can mix up numbers, letters, and conundrum rounds to your hallucinating heart's content, but only one variant and stuff at a time, so speed, speed goat, speed junior, and speed goat junior would all have to be played in different games.