Spoilers For Friday September 4th 2009

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Friday September 4th 2009

Post by James Robinson »

I thought I'd start this topic just to piss Matthew Green & Douglas Wilson off. :lol:

So, Chris Davies, fresh from achieving the 2nd highest score of all time is now attempting for win 6.

I believe if he is to top Andrew on the leaderboard, he'll need at least 123 from each of his last 3 shows, which does seem a tall order, since he's only done it once, so far.

I personally think he won't considering that he's also only had 2 nines so far, the luck in the letters doesn't seem to be with him. But, we'll have to wait and see.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Spoilers For Friday September 4th 2009

Post by Charlie Reams »

James Robinson wrote: I personally think he won't considering that he's also only had 2 nines so far, the luck in the letters doesn't seem to be with him. But, we'll have to wait and see.
Luck does not work this way.
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

The fact he's only had two nines so far means he must be 'due' some.
I predict 5 today :D
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Kieran Child wrote:The fact he's only had two nines so far means he must be 'due' some.
Only if you believe in karma. ;-) As I'm sure you know, the probability of nines being available today, or tomorrow, is independent of any previous games.

On the subject of the dearth of nines, I did notice Chris picking 5-vowel selections on at least a couple of occasions. As I would imagine that 5-vowel selections are less likely to yield a nine (feel free to correct me if that's wrong), that will have influenced the absence of any nines until yesterday. In particular, I'm thinking of OESTROGEN here, where Chris appeared to go for a final vowel tactically having already spotted OESTRONE from the first 8 letters, guessing that his opponent would not know OESTRONE but might find OESTROGEN for 9, or a different 8 to OESTRONE, if he picked a final consonant. A final vowel was unlikely to yield any alternative 8s, whereas a consonant may well have.

If you know what I mean.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Matt Bayfield wrote: As I'm sure you know, the probability of nines being available today, or tomorrow, is independent of any previous games.
This might not be strictly true. If you get a game that's absolutely horrendous then the shuffler could consider making the game afterwards a bit nicer by separating (or bunching together - their choice) the nasty letters and reducing the number of double consonants coming out together, in the hope of producing more nines. In practice though this probably doesn't happen.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Matt Bayfield wrote: As I'm sure you know, the probability of nines being available today, or tomorrow, is independent of any previous games.
This might not be strictly true. If you get a game that's absolutely horrendous then the shuffler could consider making the game afterwards a bit nicer by separating (or bunching together - their choice) the nasty letters and reducing the number of double consonants coming out together, in the hope of producing more nines. In practice though this probably doesn't happen.
Kirk Bevins in logical point shocker :o !
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Matt Bayfield wrote:As I'm sure you know, the probability of nines being available today, or tomorrow, is independent of any previous games.
Oops. :oops: Have just read my post back, and I should add here that the probability of nines being available tomorrow is zero, what with there being no show on a Saturday. It's still true to say that it's independent of any previous games, mind...
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

But if Chris really 'tries his hardest' and 'believes' in himself then I'm sure the universe will reward him with some good letters.

Oh wait, wrong show.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Charlie Reams wrote:
James Robinson wrote: I personally think he won't considering that he's also only had 2 nines so far, the luck in the letters doesn't seem to be with him. But, we'll have to wait and see.
Luck does not work at all but let's not dwell on it, eh?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Luck does not work at all but let's not dwell on it, eh?
I was just going for the Futurama reference.
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

Matthew Green wrote:But if Chris really 'tries his hardest' and 'believes' in himself then I'm sure the universe will reward him with some good letters.

Oh wait, wrong show.
Or is it the wrong show?
"2 large and 4 from the third row" was heard yesterday.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Matthew Green wrote:But if Chris really 'tries his hardest' and 'believes' in himself then I'm sure the universe will reward him with some good letters.

Oh wait, wrong show.
The difference is that Chris will only have the time it takes to pick letters and numbers to pray and get the positive vibes from the rest of the studio and not half the show.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

This from my Dad 5x100, 75/25 =3, 3/3 = 1 9-1 =8 Go DAD!!!!
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

On for a nice pair of nines which Chris should get...
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Sue Sanders never wrote:Jonathan is cute!
;)
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Sue Sanders wrote:This from my Dad 5x100, 75/25 =3, 3/3 = 1 9-1 =8 Go DAD!!!!
There was no 5. It was a 50.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Simon Myers wrote:On for a nice pair of nines which Chris should get...
And he pronounced it incorrectly. He pronounced it SCLEROTIAE and then even said "with an E on the end". Surely this shouldn't count. And, rather than Susie asking him to spell it, she spelt it aloud for Rachel spelling it SCLEROTI. Pedantry aside another quality performance with one slip up for FLORINS I feel. Did you have a risky 7 Chris as you said you'd stick with 6.
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

Not seen the show yet but looking at the comments on the numbers above, if nobody on the show got it, I wish I'd have been on. Got it in about 7 seconds:
75+9=84
50x3=150
84x150=12,600
12,600+100=12,700
12,700/25=508
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Another top draw performance, well done Chris. 8-)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Kieran Child wrote:Got it in about 7 seconds:
75+9=84
50x3=150
84x150=12,600
12,600+100=12,700
12,700/25=508
Haha.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
And he pronounced it incorrectly. He pronounced it SCLEROTIAE and then even said "with an E on the end". Surely this shouldn't count. And, rather than Susie asking him to spell it, she spelt it aloud for Rachel spelling it SCLEROTI. Pedantry aside another quality performance with one slip up for FLORINS I feel. Did you have a risky 7 Chris as you said you'd stick with 6.
Yeah, I realised afterward I'd made a bit of a mistake there :oops: I had FLORINS but wasn't sure it was even a word and chickened out of it.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:This from my Dad 5x100, 75/25 =3, 3/3 = 1 9-1 =8 Go DAD!!!!
There was no 5. It was a 50.

Ah, do you know what? I just went down to tell him and spotted him looking somewhat vacant in his workshop....and decided not to tell him...because he was so chuffed. So what happens in C4C stays in C4C. Ok??
Fool's top.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Sue Sanders wrote:

Ah, do you know what? I just went down to tell him and spotted him looking somewhat vacant in his workshop....and decided not to tell him...because he was so chuffed. So what happens in C4C stays in C4C. Ok??
Awww. You're too kind.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Oh, and after Chris said FREAKIEST did I hear people laughing?
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Oh, and after Chris said FREAKIEST did I hear people laughing?
Don't know why, because on that occasion, he said it before his eyebrows did ( ;) only joshing you, Chrizzer!)
Fool's top.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Kieran Child wrote:Not seen the show yet but looking at the comments on the numbers above, if nobody on the show got it, I wish I'd have been on. Got it in about 7 seconds:
75+9=84
50x3=150
84x150=12,600
12,600+100=12,700
12,700/25=508
Damn you! I had this, but it took me the whole commercial break. I came on here to post it because i was almost certain nobody else would have posted it, but n you actually did it in 7 seconds! Very well done Kieran, not many people would get that in 7 minutes, never mind 7 seconds.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:Oh, and after Chris said FREAKIEST did I hear people laughing?
Don't know why, because on that occasion, he said it before his eyebrows did ( ;) only joshing you, Chrizzer!)
They laughed because they couldn't decide who was the freakiest . . . Jeff Stelling or Paul Zenon!

JackHurst wrote:Very well done Kieran, not many people would get that in 7 minutes, never mind 7 seconds.
Kieran is the King of Puzzles. We'll probably end up seeing him on that programme Countdown next!
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

Hehe. Thanks guys.
But to be honest, 4 large is the only thing I can do on that show with any decency at the moment, and even with that, I'm not quite up there

Look forward to seing todays show with my parents this evening. Sounds like a goodun.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Today's challenger was presumably the Jonny Seal from apterous?

Awesome performance again today, Chris, and still nothing disallowed in six games, which is super-impressive in itself.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I'm not ashamed to say I lolled when DOWNIES^ came up in round 1 :lol:
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Im glad someone else picked up on this, its SCLEROSHA not SCLEROSHEEAYE. I was appalled. If that guy got to reappear because Pauline Huggins declared PROMATE then changed it, I think this guy should be given another go. Yours, disgusted of Tunbridge Wells.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Or it could be that they've got a different shuffler that day/week/month/year and that selections are going to be tough throughout the run. Like in the CofC. But no - Damian has told us that this is impossible (near enough anyway) so we must believe it.