Polls

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Are there too many polls on here these days?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:37 pm

Yes, I make it my Pollicy(sic) never to vote in them
7%
No, they Pollenate amusing new discussions
93%

Total votes: 14

Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Polls

Post by Derek Hazell »

It's the elephant in the forum - we haven't had a poll yet on polls!
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Polls

Post by Charlie Reams »

It's just a fad, and not a particularly harmful one.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Definitely too many of them, coming over here stealing our jobs, it's political correctness gone niggers.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Charlie Reams wrote:It's just a fad, and not a particularly harmful one.
I know - I like them. I didn't want to piss anybody off with the ones I start though. I like how they help to keep the forum active during Countdown downtime.
Also it seemed amusing for a brief moment to start a poll on polls.

Like a real polling station, I've set this one to run for just one day.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Polls are great. Bring 'em on! :D
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I've got no problem with polls here, just as I haven't with the ones on election day. Main difference is that with the ones here I don't get paid lots of money for sitting and reading books for 14-16 hours.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Howard Somerset wrote:I've got no problem with polls here, just as I haven't with the ones on election day. Main difference is that with the ones here I don't get paid lots of money for sitting and reading books for 14-16 hours.
I've always wondered where the people they get to do that come from, and whether they get paid. Do you have to be an 'upstanding member of society' or something?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:I've got no problem with polls here, just as I haven't with the ones on election day. Main difference is that with the ones here I don't get paid lots of money for sitting and reading books for 14-16 hours.
I've always wondered where the people they get to do that come from, and whether they get paid. Do you have to be an 'upstanding member of society' or something?
I'm not in a wheelchair. How do I apply?
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Michael Wallace wrote:
I'm certainly not an upstanding member of society. I got £240 for the last Euro election, but that covers the whole 14 hours of the poll - you're not allowed to leave the building for any reason - collecting all the stuff the previous day, and delivering it to the count afterwards, so the hourly rate isn't nearly as good as what I charge for tutoring. Poll clerks get about 2/3 of that, but they don't have to collect or deliver the stuff - they're still not allowed to leave. Just apply to the elections department at your local council office. I've been doing it most years for about 15 years now.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Howard Somerset wrote:I'm certainly not an upstanding member of society. I got £240 for the last Euro election, but that covers the whole 14 hours of the poll - you're not allowed to leave the building for any reason - collecting all the stuff the previous day, and delivering it to the count afterwards, so the hourly rate isn't nearly as good as what I charge for tutoring. Poll clerks get about 2/3 of that, but they don't have to collect or deliver the stuff - they're still not allowed to leave. Just apply to the elections department at your local council office. I've been doing it most years for about 15 years now.
Thanks for that. I might have a look into it whilst I still don't have a Real Job.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Good result! All but one in favour. That cheeky one wouldn't be you by any chance would it Michael? (a man not adverse to making a few polls himself) :)

I see that the legendary Richard Brittain has managed to even enhance this poll on polls: http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2551

Great stuff.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Derek Hazell wrote:Good result! All but one in favour. That cheeky one wouldn't be you by any chance would it Michael? (a man not adverse to making a few polls himself) :)
Nah, I refused to vote because of the current economic climate.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

That reminds me. I must post a poll that I expect will kick off a lot of argument :mrgreen:
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Peter Mabey wrote:That reminds me. I must post a poll that I expect will kick off a lot of argument :mrgreen:
If it's about politics, Mr. Liberal Democrat, we've already done that http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2218 ;)
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Peter Mabey wrote:That reminds me. I must post a poll that I expect will kick off a lot of argument :mrgreen:
If it's about politics, Mr. Liberal Democrat, we've already done that http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2218 ;)
Nope - Sport ;)