Spoilers for Monday, 21st April

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Spoilers for Monday, 21st April

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Good luck to Ben on his 2nd game.

EDIT: You had Paul Zenon in DC, I'm so jealous.
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers for Monday, 21st April

Post by Stewart Gordon »

I thought TARMAC was a trademark, and therefore would be capitalised in the dictionary. Isn't it?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

1st numbers alternative - ((100 + 6) x 7) - 2
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

smjg wrote:I thought TARMAC was a trademark, and therefore would be capitalised in the dictionary. Isn't it?
Lots of them have become generic, like HOOVER and VASELINE.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Can you have COMEDOS in ODE? I seem to remember COMEDONES being in as a plural of COMEDO.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

REGALIST in round 13
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Michael Wallace wrote:REGALIST in round 13
RETRIALS too as an equaller.
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

Are RETIRALS / GLARIEST also in?

Also, went for (75-((8*4)+5))*9=342; didn't see the easier method!
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

Charlie Reams wrote:
smjg wrote:I thought TARMAC was a trademark, and therefore would be capitalised in the dictionary. Isn't it?
Lots of them have become generic, like HOOVER and VASELINE.
Just looking at them in my 2001 OPD:
  • Hoover (cap) as a noun is a trademark, but apparently the verb (-cap) was never trademarked
  • vaseline is a trademark, but nonetheless is given in lowercase
  • tarmac is a little more complicated, but not capitalised at all. Strange - I'm sure I've seen it capitalised as a trademark somewhere.
So maybe I was right. Still, what's the policy on accepting words that are trademarks but nonetheless given in lower case?
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

smjg wrote: Still, what's the policy on accepting words that are trademarks but nonetheless given in lower case?
If it's lower case, it should be allowed. Starting off as a trademark is just another way for a word to enter the language. In addition to the examples that Charlie gave, HEROIN, ESCALATOR, TANNOY, FRISBEE, TRAMPOLINE and many others all started life as trademarks.
Benji Hanks
Rookie

Post by Benji Hanks »

For the record, I saw Ambient in the ?3rd? round, but didn't want to risk it as wasn't 100% as to whether it was ent or ant.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Benji Hanks wrote:For the record, I saw Ambient in the ?3rd? round, but didn't want to risk it as wasn't 100% as to whether it was ent or ant.
Ambient is fine.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
DaveC
Acolyte

Post by DaveC »

My post didn't appear before for some reason. Anyone else had this trouble?

Anyway here's a more intuitive R14. I found this way easier anyhow.

75 - 5 = 70
9 - 4 = 5 multiply = 350 - 8

DC
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

DaveC wrote:My post didn't appear before for some reason. Anyone else had this trouble?
If someone posts while you're writing your message, clicking Submit will give you a page warning of the possible clash rather than submitting your post. However it doesn't look much different to the expected page and on a few occasions I've nearly shut the window without realising. That might be the cause.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Paul Howe wrote:
smjg wrote: Still, what's the policy on accepting words that are trademarks but nonetheless given in lower case?
If it's lower case, it should be allowed. Starting off as a trademark is just another way for a word to enter the language. In addition to the examples that Charlie gave, HEROIN, ESCALATOR, TANNOY, FRISBEE, TRAMPOLINE and many others all started life as trademarks.
I think the capital/non-capital is a bit of a dubious way of distinguishing. Probably the best way there is, but still not entirely satisfactory in my eyes. My main example is that I don't see why currencies of countries are any less "proper" than certain other proper nouns but they just happen not to be capitalised.

Edit - well if the definition of "proper noun" is a particular being or object as opposed to one of many, as opposed to simply a capitalised noun, then is there a name for capitalised nouns? "Englishman" for example would not be proper but is capitalised.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gevin-Gavin wrote:
Paul Howe wrote:
I think the capital/non-capital is a bit of a dubious way of distinguishing. Probably the best way there is, but still not entirely satisfactory in my eyes. My main example is that I don't see why currencies of countries are any less "proper" than certain other proper nouns but they just happen not to be capitalised.
A fair point, but as you say, there doesn't seem to be an alternative. For an example oddity, DBX would be valid according to the current rules. I assume the rule was taken from Scrabble where it has lead to some other odd consequences (like PH and EMF) over the years.