Spoilers for Friday, 18th April

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Spoilers for Friday, 18th April

Post by Joseph Bolas »

No more Jo Brand words after today :(.

EDIT: I wonder if Ben fancies Marge Simpson :lol:?
Matt Coates
Acolyte

Re: Spoilers for Friday, 18th April

Post by Matt Coates »

TROUPES as an equaller
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

R3: SONNETS as an equaller.
Matt Coates
Acolyte

Post by Matt Coates »

SONNETS as an equaller
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

R4: ZLOTIES
Matt Coates
Acolyte

Post by Matt Coates »

75+3 X (6+4) + 7 - 2 as an alternate
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Joseph Bolas wrote:R4: ZLOTIES
Yeah I got that as well.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Btw I thought that UPSTROKE was excellent earlier in the game
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:R4: ZLOTIES
Yeah I got that as well.

Martin
It's a good 7 letter bingo play in Scrabble using the Z :D.

EDIT: God Damn it, it was another 2 vowel conundrum :x.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I thought it was a bit of a flat game to be honest. I think they chose only 3 vowels in almost all the letters game, when a vowel would have probably given some sevens and eights. The quality of the game was good, but the selections really weren't.

Martin
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Martin Gardner wrote:I thought it was a bit of a flat game to be honest. I think they chose only 3 vowels in almost all the letters game, when a vowel would have probably given some sevens and eights. The quality of the game was good, but the selections really weren't.

Martin
I know I read Ben's post earlier RE: PRAETORS + any vowel gives a 9, then it came up and he asked for a friggin consonant!
Ray Folwell
Acolyte

Post by Ray Folwell »

I thought they were going for some sort of record with 3 vowels in every round. An then they spoilt it in Round 8.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I could be wrong, but I could've sworn I saw a 2nd 'W' when Carol picked up the 'F' at the end of round 13's selection of letters (Carol picked up more than 1 tile before putting 'F' on the board).
Benji Hanks
Rookie

Post by Benji Hanks »

Personally, I've always preferred 3 vowels in 80% of cases, but that's more how I like to work, and always leave it til the last letter before deciding.

And also..
Joseph Bolas wrote: EDIT: I wonder if Ben fancies Marge Simpson :lol:?
No thanks, she's a little old for me ;)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Benji Hanks wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote: EDIT: I wonder if Ben fancies Marge Simpson :lol:?
No thanks, she's a little old for me ;)
:lol:
DaveC
Acolyte

Post by DaveC »

Benji Hanks wrote:Personally, I've always preferred 3 vowels in 80% of cases, but that's more how I like to work, and always leave it til the last letter before deciding.
I presume then that you never opt for 5 vowels?

I did notice that on all rounds on Friday, the three vowels were chosen during the first 7 letters, we all know the first 3 vowels and 4 consonants aren't a choice. Effectively once three vowels and four consonants are chosen the last two letters are free choice. For this reason I consciously open up with 3 vowels and 4 consonants, (though not necessarily bunched together, eg VVCCVCC decided in advance).

It does surprise me on those occasions where people make odd selections with their first few tiles. Eg. Tony Durrant vs Keith Brown, Keith opened up with 4 vowels on 4 occasions, then with 5 consonants on the other. Thus losing the advantage of making his 2 free choices having first seen the mandatory 3V 4C.

--
If a person practiced 6C 3V combinations a lot, and commonly appearing (but not common usage) words for that combination perhaps they could give themselves a slight advantage by choosing their letters accordingly. Just a thought.

DC
Benji Hanks
Rookie

Post by Benji Hanks »

DaveC wrote:
Benji Hanks wrote:Personally, I've always preferred 3 vowels in 80% of cases, but that's more how I like to work, and always leave it til the last letter before deciding.
I presume then that you never opt for 5 vowels?
Well, like you say, I like to get them down quickly, so I have the choice. But generally unless I've got 3 Us down, i'm not interested in a 5th vowel. If I've got EAIE after 8 letters, I'm unlikely to want/need another vowel, is my general opinion.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Benji Hanks wrote:Well, like you say, I like to get them down quickly, so I have the choice. But generally unless I've got 3 Us down, i'm not interested in a 5th vowel. If I've got EAIE after 8 letters, I'm unlikely to want/need another vowel, is my general opinion.
Hi Ben :)

I dunno about you, but I much preferred it when my opponent was picking the letters, as I could then play along as I do at home (i.e. trying to make words as you go along, spot stuff that might come out etc). While I was picking the letters, I was so busy concentrating on saying the right words and making sure I didn't do anything "stupid" (like hesitate for too long, or say "cowel" or "vonsonant") that I barely even noticed what letters had actually been put up. So while I'm aware that PRAETORS + a vowel makes a nine, I might not necessarily spot that or process that information at the time. Picking letters is a stressful business which requires a lot of concentration. Honest.

Just my 2p.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Corby wrote:While I was picking the letters, I was so busy concentrating on saying the right words and making sure I didn't do anything "stupid" (like hesitate for too long, or say "cowel" or "vonsonant")
My favourite was "Can I have an adjective please Carol?", which was a few series ago now.

Crazy thing, the brain.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Corby wrote:
Benji Hanks wrote:Well, like you say, I like to get them down quickly, so I have the choice. But generally unless I've got 3 Us down, i'm not interested in a 5th vowel. If I've got EAIE after 8 letters, I'm unlikely to want/need another vowel, is my general opinion.
Hi Ben :)

I dunno about you, but I much preferred it when my opponent was picking the letters, as I could then play along as I do at home (i.e. trying to make words as you go along, spot stuff that might come out etc). While I was picking the letters, I was so busy concentrating on saying the right words and making sure I didn't do anything "stupid" (like hesitate for too long, or say "cowel" or "vonsonant") that I barely even noticed what letters had actually been put up. So while I'm aware that PRAETORS + a vowel makes a nine, I might not necessarily spot that or process that information at the time. Picking letters is a stressful business which requires a lot of concentration. Honest.

Just my 2p.

Agreed. I never would have missed SOLENOIDS had my opponent been choosing ... honest.