Will Andrew Break The Record?

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Will Andrew beat Kirk's 926 record

Yes
41%
No
59%

Total votes: 34

Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Will Andrew Break The Record?

Post by Douglas Wilson »

Currently Andrew is on for 958, do you think he can break the record.

(Please move if we're not allowed to discuss very recent shows outside of the spoliers section.)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Will Andrew Break The Record?

Post by Michael Wallace »

(I shall assume that anyone who doesn't want spoilers from Andrew's shows won't read this thread (although this probably gives away that he hasn't lost any of his first 4, which is a bit of a spoiler, unfortunately).)

I'm going for no. He's lost a couple of rounds and has been reasonably beatable in a few others. Although I mostly think he won't keep the average up because he's got to do a whole day of shows this week, which could well have an impact.

I hope I'm wrong though, records falling/nearly falling makes for great entertainment.

Edit: Also, Kirk's record is 925 (I'm guessing you mean "Will Andrew break Kirk's record by scoring 926" or similar)
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

I don't like this poll.
It has a "yes" and a "no" - an affirmative and a negative.
It doesn't have a "maybe" - an unsure, an indecisive.
It also doesn't cater for regional accents or variations on yes or no, such as "yay" or "nay"
Or "yep" or "nope"
Slang is also discriminated against, with no "yeah" or "nah" options
There is also no option for people who like to put on silly voices, or adopt faux German accents, such as "yah" or "nein"
Come to that, "yes" and "no" are only written in English, and exclude any foreign users of this site who may want to vote.

I've voted anyway though, but must do better next time.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Michael Wallace wrote:(I shall assume that anyone who doesn't want spoilers from Andrew's shows won't read this thread (although this probably gives away that he hasn't lost any of his first 4, which is a bit of a spoiler, unfortunately).)

I'm going for no. He's lost a couple of rounds and has been reasonably beatable in a few others. Although I mostly think he won't keep the average up because he's got to do a whole day of shows this week, which could well have an impact.

I hope I'm wrong though, records falling/nearly falling makes for great entertainment.

Edit: Also, Kirk's record is 925 (I'm guessing you mean "Will Andrew break Kirk's record by scoring 926" or similar)
No, he means that on Andrews' average so far (119.75), over eight games it would be 958.
Last edited by Liam Tiernan on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Liam Tiernan wrote:No, he means that on Andrews' average so far, over eight games it would be 958.
It was teh "Will Andrew beat Kirk's 926 record" I was taking issue with.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Liam Tiernan wrote:No, he means that on Andrews' average so far, over eight games it would be 958.
It was teh "Will Andrew beat Kirk's 926 record" I was taking issue with.
Sorry for being so pedantic. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what percentage of max both players had over the first four games?
Last edited by Liam Tiernan on Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Hulme
Acolyte

Post by Andrew Hulme »

Please no one post the answer to that. lol
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Awesome, that was my first non-deliberate 'teh' in ages.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Andrew is a top top player (far better than me), has continued to improve rapidly since these episodes were filmed, and is probably my slight favourite for the series so far (pending Chris Davies in a few weeks), but I think I'd offer narrow odds against him making 926 on the evidence so far. The average so far is slightly high because he's had a lot of nines to go at and generally had a good ride in times of weak opponents, nice numbers and easy conundrums. Also one disallowed word takes 6 or 7 good maxes to make up for, and Andrew has had a few too many of them so far. He's also likely to get tired as the games rack up, and (God forbid!) he might even get beaten :shock:

More to the point, did I mention what a fantastically modest guy he is? A real credit to the game and a pleasure to watch. Much more important than making numbers add up to some other number, I think, and if he does take the record, I'll happily look like an idiot for posting this, because he'll deserve whatever score he gets.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Charlie Reams wrote:More to the point, did I mention what a fantastically modest guy he is? A real credit to the game and a pleasure to watch.
This. It is incredible though that just months after the new record was set, it is already under threat.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:It is incredible though that just months after the new record was set, it is already under threat.
Yes, since we've been assured that apterous has no real effect, I'm totally baffled.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

David Williams wrote: Yes, since we've been assured that apterous has no real effect, I'm totally baffled.
Who assured us this? I fully expect Chris Davies to threaten 925 too if he plays like he does online (and gets nice letters) too.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Damn polls have closed. Would have liked to change my vote to "No". I think Andrew has the potential but the recent Demi-lessness is throwing up some shitty letters.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
David Williams wrote: Yes, since we've been assured that apterous has no real effect, I'm totally baffled.
Who assured us this? I fully expect Chris Davies to threaten 925 too if he plays like he does online (and gets nice letters) too.
D Eadie wrote:Apterous for me anyway, hasn't affected Countdown at all. The Beevers, Kirks, Fells etc, were always out there before, but now there is a place for them to come together, play online and practice.