Project Hyper

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Re: Project Hyper

Post by Howard Somerset »

Jimmy Gough wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:Should I add SICKNESSES to the list, or should I be pedantic and omit it?
Be pedantic :)
Charlie Reams wrote:AIRLESSNESS is listed as a small subentry of AIRLESS, and says only "noun", so we have to assume that AIRLESSNESSES is valid.
I don't understand the difference between these two.

Other than that I'm pretty clear on what to include and what not.
Most of the ...NESS words are listed as derivatives, and shown simply as noun without qualifier. SICKNESS, on the other hand is a main heading, rather than a derivative of SICK, and is listed as a mass noun.

Hence SICKNESSES is not included, yet all those others should be pluralised.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

OK, I've finished off my original section which Howard basically did by himself. Is there anymore sections I can do or help someone out with?
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

In what may be a subconscious attempt to get some words finally on the longest words board, I seem to have added a couple of words as a single line in error:
RELIGIOUSLYRELIGIOUSNESS
RELIGIOUSLYRELIGIOUSNESSES
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Finished section 1401 - 1500 [privateersman - respite], turned out to be a dense part of the dictionary due to the large number of RE- verbs. Total count for the section is 2,976.
Maxine Silkstone
Rookie

Post by Maxine Silkstone »

2637 words, 99 pages. Last word EVENTFULNESSES
And that's my original allocation done.
I have a crick in my neck coz my dictionary is to my left. So I'll not volunteer for any more, as we are cracking along anyway.
What jolly fun that was!
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Jimmy Gough wrote:OK, I've finished off my original section which Howard basically did by himself. Is there anymore sections I can do or help someone out with?
Jimmy, as I've been making such slow progress, you can do 131-200 [bareback-bound].
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Jimmy Gough wrote:OK, I've finished off my original section which Howard basically did by himself. Is there anymore sections I can do or help someone out with?
Jimmy, as I've been making such slow progress, you can do 131-200 [bareback-bound].
Okey doke.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

BESTIALIZE is listed as a derivative of BESTIAL but BESTIALIZATION is not specified; is it still allowable?

Edit: meh, probably not. I won't include it.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Jimmy Gough wrote:BESTIALIZE is listed as a derivative of BESTIAL but BESTIALIZATION is not specified; is it still allowable?

Edit: meh, probably not. I won't include it.
Agreed. It would have to be specified as a derivative to be included.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jimmy Gough wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:AIRLESSNESS is listed as a small subentry of AIRLESS, and says only "noun", so we have to assume that AIRLESSNESSES is valid.
The difference between those two what? I suspect you just need to read more carefully.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I'm reassigning pages 350 - 400 to myself since Innis seems to be making slow progress.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

That's fair enough.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Finished. That thing you were saying about words being funny after a while is true. By the time I got to bootylicious and bottomland I was finding it hilarious.

Happy to do more.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jimmy Gough wrote:
The difference between those two what? I suspect you just need to read more carefully.
I meant the difference between SICKNESSES being valid but AIRLESSNESSES valid, which Howard explained. Maybe I just need to write more clearly.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jimmy Gough wrote: Maybe I just need to write more clearly.
Whatever the case, it's definitely your fault and not that I just can't understand simple sentences. You can take 1850 - 1900 if you like, since James hasn't started yet.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Sure thing.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Howard Somerset wrote:It's a sensible time for me to stop now, Charlie. 200 pages in total, and 4153 words (less the few I've asked you to remove). Best of luck with the rest of the project. If it's still going at the end of July, I'll help to finish it off. :)
Thanks for everything, you've done a superb job.

Home straight now chaps!
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Charlie Reams wrote: All inflections of subentries should be entered, however dubious this might be. For example, AIRLESSNESS is listed as a small subentry of AIRLESS, and says only "noun", so we have to assume that AIRLESSNESSES is valid.
Under these rules, shouldn't something like this be valid? Or have I totally misunderstood what you mean?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jimmy Gough wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote: All inflections of subentries should be entered, however dubious this might be. For example, AIRLESSNESS is listed as a small subentry of AIRLESS, and says only "noun", so we have to assume that AIRLESSNESSES is valid.
Under these rules, shouldn't something like this be valid? Or have I totally misunderstood what you mean?
Yes, it should. Looks like a Jimdic error.
Maxine Silkstone
Rookie

Ok, neck straightened out, where's my next chunk?
Shall I go backwards from COMMUNICATION and meet Innis halfway?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Maxine Silkstone wrote:Ok, neck straightened out, where's my next chunk?
Shall I go backwards from COMMUNICATION and meet Innis halfway?
I've reallocated pages 160 - 200 to you. Kai take note.

Both Sid and I found that getting good dictionary position really speeds things up, but I'm sure you can sort that out for yourself.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Done. More than happy to do any more.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jimmy Gough wrote:Done. More than happy to do any more.
Still no sign of James starting so you can start from 811 and catch up with yourself, if you're not bored of T by now.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Thanks to the new league table, I've noticed another fuckup of mine - I must have entered MISADDRESS as MIDADDRESS. I'm assuming I just did an ALT-M afterwards, which means that MIDADDRESS, MIDADDRESSES, MIDADDRESSED and MIDADDRESSING all need to be removed. Many apologies. I've added the correct versions now, of course.

Currently 72 pages, 2039 words. Nearly done! Word of the day: NEUROPHARMACOLOGISTS.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Nearly there.....
Maxine Silkstone
Rookie

3142 TOTAL, 22 PAGES OF THIS NEW LOT. PLUS THE PREVIOUS LOT.
95% WOOHOO
are we gonna save the last word for Charlie to enter!?
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Apologies for my lack of participation and well done on getting so much done. Was at a funeral midweek in Dublin which threw me out of focus and got drunk yesterday when i got back in honour of Michael Jackson to give it a not really necessary excuse! Decided to take up an invite to play golf today to clear the head and not long in. I'm actually busy enough now for the coming week but i'm still up for mucking in if needed for the final push. I actually popped into waterstones to pick up an oed this morning but i was confused as to which one to get... almost went for the concise 11th edition, can someone kindly clarify this for me? I should have one really!

Hope everyone is in fine fettle anyway and well done again! Quite nice to see such a decent show of solidarity from people.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

YES! I've finished 1811 - 1900 (technical college - turn). I think I may have duplicated a few of the TIT- words, I hope that's not too much of a problem.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

I've finished 300-349 now, 1293 words.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

As far as I know the following sections are unfinished:-

102 - 159 [attentive - ?]: Kai.
160 - 200 [? - bound]: Maxine.
201 - 300 [boundary - chime]: Neb.
601 - 700 [eventive-function word]: Paul.
805 - 900 [hedgehog fungus - intendment]: Ben Hunter.
1103 - 1111 [metacarpal - mien]: Kirk.
1112 - 1200 [Mies van de Rohe - Northern Marianas]: Jim.
1551 - 1600 [sack lunch - self]: Ian
1721 - 1740 [stainless - stole]: Andy.
1801 - 1810 [Tammerfors - ?]: James.

Would really like to get this finished this weekend so please could those involved let me know how they're doing and, if you don't think you'll finish today, let me know how many of the pages I can free up for someone else to do. If I don't hear I'll just assume you've lost interest and give your block to someone else.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Yeah, I finished 1811-1900 [technical college - turn]. I'll do as much as you like tomorrow so just allocate me a section and I'll get cracking. I really don't mind doing it.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jimmy Gough wrote:Yeah, I finished 1811-1900 [technical college - turn]. I'll do as much as you like tomorrow so just allocate me a section and I'll get cracking. I really don't mind doing it.
Haven't heard from Paul for a while so you might as well nab the leftovers of his block; he got up to FASHIONISTA so you can take over from there. You're doing a great job by the way :)
Maxine Silkstone
Rookie

Charlie Reams wrote:As far as I know the following sections are unfinished:-

160 - 200 [? - bound]: Maxine.
1103 - 1111 [metacarpal - mien]: Kirk.
1112 - 1200 [Mies van de Rohe - Northern Marianas]: Jim.

Would really like to get this finished this weekend so please could those involved let me know how they're doing and, if you don't think you'll finish today, let me know how many of the pages I can free up for someone else to do. If I don't hear I'll just assume you've lost interest and give your block to someone else.
Done the chunk you gave me (in red above)
Spindlex wrote:Last word you added: BOUNDARIES.
Next few words by someone else: BOUNDLESSLY, BOUNDLESSNESS, BOUNDLESSNESSES, BOUNTEOUSLY, BOUNTEOUSNESS (stop when you get to these).
So I'm guessing somebody (Ben I think) is having a bash at the following section of B's from 201 on that were Neb's.
I'll take the some more of Kai's then from 120-159, and, if they're still there this evening , I'll finish the 102-119 too.
Spindlex wrote: Last word you added: BALACLAVAS.
Next few words by someone else: BALALAIKAS, BALBRIGGAN, BALDACCHINO, BALDACCHINOS, BALDACHINS (stop when you get to these).
Nope, someone is doing these too (although I found a few missing)
No idea where to go next, perhaps we need to regroup and assess where the gaps really are?
Had a little prod at the E's starting at 601 too, but someone's in there (they've put EVERGLADES in which needs to be deleted as it's a proper noun)

OK
I'm gonna steal Kirk's last 8 pages

a) I only have a few hours this morning and it's a shame to waste them
b) It's only a little chunk and it's nice and clean between two others and I can see it's free
c) When you're all up and about you can reallocate stuff between yourselves but I'll be in work by then

Hope this doesn't upset anyone (No mistakes I promise Kirk!)
OK DONE THOSE
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Charlie Reams wrote:1112 - 1200 [Mies van de Rohe - Northern Marianas]: Jim.
I should have my bit finished by about midday, with any luck. It's been fun (no, really!)
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I wrote:
ie. I've done 102-130.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jimmy Gough wrote:Yeah, I finished 1811-1900 [technical college - turn]. I'll do as much as you like tomorrow so just allocate me a section and I'll get cracking. I really don't mind doing it.
Haven't heard from Paul for a while so you might as well nab the leftovers of his block; he got up to FASHIONISTA so you can take over from there. You're doing a great job by the way :)
I hadn't abandoned mine, was just doing a chunk here and there when I had time. However, if someone wants to take over my block they're more than welcome :) There's the prize of FLOCCINAUCINIHILIPILIFICATIONS for those who want their name in lights on the longest words board.

Having read the thread, I haven't been pluralising -ISM endings unless it obviously needed an s, I'm hoping these can easily be found and fixed with a regex.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

JimBentley wrote:
I should have my bit finished by about midday, with any luck. It's been fun (no, really!)
All done. Last word in the section was NORTHERNERS, which was kind of nice. Not wanting to tread on Ian V's toes, but according to Spindlex, the next words added were NORTHLANDS, NORTHWARDS, NORTHWESTER, which suggests that NORTHWARDLY was missed, so I've stuck that in too.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

JimBentley wrote:
JimBentley wrote:
All done. Last word in the section was NORTHERNERS, which was kind of nice. Not wanting to tread on Ian V's toes, but according to Spindlex, the next words added were NORTHLANDS, NORTHWARDS, NORTHWESTER, which suggests that NORTHWARDLY was missed, so I've stuck that in too.
I don't have my dictionary to hand, but I'm not sure it was listed?

In other news, the league table clearly shows that my first word is misspelt! ESOPHAGITIS has gained an S, so it and any related inflections will need corrected.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Ian Volante wrote:
JimBentley wrote:which suggests that NORTHWARDLY was missed, so I've stuck that in too.
Ah. It's definitely in mine, bottom of the first column on page 1201, but mine isn't the most up to date edition. Seems an odd one to remove, mind.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

JimBentley wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
JimBentley wrote:which suggests that NORTHWARDLY was missed, so I've stuck that in too.
Ah. It's definitely in mine, bottom of the first column on page 1201, but mine isn't the most up to date edition. Seems an odd one to remove, mind.
It is in.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Updated uncompleted block list:

1103 - 1111 [metacarpal - mien]: Maxine (was Kirk)

Please reply to this when you finish your block.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

I'm quite happy to do some more if anyone's flagging. It's like a drug. Mine's all gone, but I want more.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Bentley can do mine (131-159).
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Bentley can do mine (131-159).
How can I refuse such a gallantly-phrased offer? I'll start at 131, someone else might want to pick up at 145 or thereabouts.
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

JimBentley wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:Bentley can do mine (131-159).
How can I refuse such a gallantly-phrased offer? I'll start at 131, someone else might want to pick up at 145 or thereabouts.
I don't mind doing it if someone can tell me what words to start and end with - my nODE has them on different pages.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Just finished [fashionista - function word]. Happy to do more.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Seems someone's already done page 133.

And up to at least 137. 148. Hmm. All of it.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

All done. 100 pages, 1776 words. (Even if it appears someone already did 197-200.)
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Jimmy Gough wrote:Just finished [fashionista - function word]. Happy to do more.
Nice one, thanks :)
Maxine Silkstone
Rookie

Charlie Reams wrote:Updated uncompleted block list:

1103 - 1111 [metacarpal - mien]: Maxine (was Kirk)

Please reply to this when you finish your block.
Done this morning.
Maxine Silkstone
Rookie

Ian Volante wrote: In other news, the league table clearly shows that my first word is misspelt! ESOPHAGITIS has gained an S, so it and any related inflections will need corrected.
As an American spelling of OESOPHAGITIS it shouldn't be in anyway should it? Or did I misunderstand the instructions?
Charlie wrote: Tips
All words of 10 letters or longer should be added, provided they meet the usual rules (no proper nouns, no US spellings, no words that only appear in phrases, no hyphens etc). This includes words which look very unlikely to come up; who knows what variants we might one day play?!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Maxine Silkstone wrote:As an American spelling of OESOPHAGITIS it shouldn't be in anyway should it?
Correct. Hope this is not a systematic error, Ian...

Back to grander matters, here are the outstanding blocks:

805 - 900 [hedgehog fungus - intendment]: Ben Hunter. Has got up to INATTENTIVENESSES. Taken by Lesley (cheers mate).
1721 - 1740 [stainless - stole]: Andy. Has not started. Taken by Jimmy (cheers chap).
1801 - 1810 [Tammerfors - ?]: James. Has not started. Taken by Kirk.

If you'd like to grab (what's left of) one, post here and get to work. We can finish this :)
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

OK, I'll take Andy's.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

I'll work backwards from intendment then, and hopefully Ben and I will meet somewhere in the middle :)

Edit - discovered working backwards is horrifically difficult for my little brain. I'm going to do 10-page blocks so I'm doing 890 - 900 (done 900 already). After that if no-one says otherwise I'll do 880 on etc.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

1721-1740 is done.

I may as well finish off what's left off of Ian's as well.

Oh, actually, I'm pretty sure Ian's is completed.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk's bagged 874 - 879, but the rest of Ben's block is all yours, Lesley.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Fair enough! On the job, as it were ;)
Lowering the averages since 2009
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

YAY we're so close!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Waiting for final confirmation from Lesley and Jimmy but I think we're all done!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Maxine Silkstone wrote:As an American spelling of OESOPHAGITIS it shouldn't be in anyway should it?
Correct. Hope this is not a systematic error, Ian...
Oops! I'm pretty sure it's not.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles