The Mayor in the Chair

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

The Mayor in the Chair

Post by Chris Philpot »

Whilst I am sure everyone is still reeling at the death of a legend of music, perhaps it is worth taking a moment to recall the life of a legend of television who sadly passed away on this date four years ago.

Although Countdown now is arguably as strong, or stronger, than it has ever been surely none of us would be on this message board almost 27 years after the programme's debut but for the warmth and wit of Richard. He fronted the show with aplomb, not to mention puns galore. We savoured his gleeful reactions to our old friends LEOTARD and TANGELO, although we certainly didn't savour his jackets.

Most of all, we were charmed by an affable, adorable man, who I am sure many of us still remember very fondly.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: The Mayor in the Chair

Post by James Robinson »

Here, here, Chris, a very worthy mention. I still couldn't believe it when I heard he died. I was about to start work experience that morning and I listened to the news and it said he died. It was one of those moments that you remember where you were when it happened and never forget it.

He is still missed to this day, the legend of Countdown, Mr John Richard Whiteley OBE.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

I must go on record to say that I never found his jackets or ties in any way exceptionable. Colourful, yes, eccentric even, yes, but there is nothing wrong with that.

But I cannot even think of the "how Dutch is that moggy" joke without breaking up.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Whilst I agree that Richard was the absolute wizzard, my "End of Term Report" says that Jeff and Rachel have done an excellent job in reinvigorating Countdown and those behind the scenes must be highly delighted with how the programme has come on in 2009. Series 60 was something else and the final was superb. Let's hope series 61 lives up to those high standards.

I'm not up to date yet but hope it has started well.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Jennifer McElroy

Post by Jennifer McElroy »

Very nicely put Chris. Gosh it is hard to believe that it is four years since his demise.
Jeff and rachel have settled in very nicely, and series 60 has been good for the game.