No bugs report

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Rob Thomas
Rookie

No bugs report

Post by Rob Thomas »

Apterous has ran almost flawlessly for about 3 months now. The logjams that used to occur where whole waves of people would have to log out and in again and say "oh forget it it's not working today" seem to have gone. Whether I open it in IE, Firefox, or Chrome I get a boringly consistent experience. Lots more people are playing nowadays than when I joined, and rather than collapsing under the weight, Apterous seems instead to have become indefatigable. The days when I could hope for an 11th hour reprieve from a hammering in the form of an Aptocrash that couldn't be resumed seem to have gone forever.

What's going on Charlie?

Rob.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: No bugs report

Post by Charlie Reams »

Rob Thomas wrote:Apterous has ran almost flawlessly for about 3 months now. The logjams that used to occur where whole waves of people would have to log out and in again and say "oh forget it it's not working today" seem to have gone. Whether I open it in IE, Firefox, or Chrome I get a boringly consistent experience. Lots more people are playing nowadays than when I joined, and rather than collapsing under the weight, Apterous seems instead to have become indefatigable. The days when I could hope for an 11th hour reprieve from a hammering in the form of an Aptocrash that couldn't be resumed seem to have gone forever.

What's going on Charlie?

Rob.
Worse still, appreciative users means I have nothing to moan about. This really isn't the way God intended it.

(A more direct answer is that I just worked really, really hard on fixing all the broken stuff. And really, really not at all on my PhD.)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:Worse still, appreciative users means I have nothing to moan about. This really isn't the way God intended it.
I still get regular freezes, if that makes you feel better.
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

I've never fully understood whether the freezes are just a problem with Apterous or whether the user's pc can also contribute.

In most of my own freezes I tend to get an inkling that it's about to happen before my opponent does, which leads me to think my machine might be more susceptible to it than others. I also find that refreshing my screen between games reduces the likelihood of a freeze in the next one.

Oh, and the site was unbearably slow last night :roll:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Have either of you ever filed a useful bug report?
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

If your game freezes and you have to leave the site will the Java console retain the relevant info?
If so I'll try it next time.

I wasn't being critical btw, was just curious as to which end causes it if not both. As Rob said at the outset things are much much better now.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

I've noticed that apterous is considerably more reliable than it was previously. Cheers Charles :D good job.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

It didn't work yesterday, that's why I played Drew's and Brucie's losing horns.

But then, I played some dings because the server started back up itself!

I thought Charlie would have to fix it!

So, Charlie, please tell us what gives?
Maxine Silkstone
Rookie

Post by Maxine Silkstone »

Elves!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Nothing like that.

Don't tell us, Maxine!

I do think the server possessed itself after a little while, though.