Series 60 Finals - Prediction Game

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.

Who Will Win Series 60?

Kirk Bevins
68%
Cate Henderson
3%
Jimmy Gough
5%
Shane Roberts
3%
Neil Zussman
5%
James Doohan
3%
Hamish Williamson
11%
Julie Russell
3%
Jaqueline Baker
No votes

Total votes: 38

Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Series 60 Finals - Prediction Game

Post by Douglas Wilson »

As the title says, it will be interesting to see what people think; but if you havn't got time for analysis then just do the poll.
A prize of unknown origin for anyone who predicts the route perfectly and didn't see it film or compete in it.

Quarter Finals:

Kirk Bevins v Julie Russell/Jaqueline Baker - Sorry ladies but Kirk everytime

Cate Henderson v Hamish Williamson - I think this could be a lot closer than a 2nd v 7th battle would suggest, Hamish was clearly a competent player backed up by his opening score and the fact he was invited back for a second go. I think maybe his age restricted him winning any more games as fatigue probably became a factor. Despite all that I expect Cate to edge it.

Jimmy Gough v James Doohan - Another close one, prelimery scores and apterous ratings suggest Jimmy is the better player; but he did look nervous in his heats paticularly when games looked close. I'll still plump for Jimmy though.

Shane Roberts v Neil Zussman - As you would expect from a 4th/5th battle this will be close. I'm going for Neil though as I feel he was more spectacular in his heats whereas Shane's best attribute was consistency. I think in a one off game Neil's skill will be more of a factor. Both good numbers players who's preferred selection is 6 small so we could see some excitement there.

Semi Finals

KB V NZ - I think Kirk will win, but it could be a close one if Neil can match him early on. Again the numbers rounds could be exciting.
CH V JG - Very little to choose between them in the heats, I think Jimmy's apterous experience will see him through.

Final

KB V JG - Kirk and by a large margain as finals go unless Jimmy plays well early on.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Re: Series 60 Finals - Prediction Game

Post by Jimmy Gough »

I think I will win.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Good stuff, wish I could play :(
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I agree with your outcomes, if not your descriptions.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

Jon Corby wrote:I agree with your outcomes, if not your descriptions.
Any descriptions in particular Jon?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Douglas Wilson wrote:
Erm... dunno really. Maybe that Jimmy will be closer to Kirk than Neil? Who knows.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

Jon Corby wrote:
Douglas Wilson wrote:
Erm... dunno really. Maybe that Jimmy will be closer to Kirk than Neil? Who knows.
Fair enough, I just thought JG looked fairly nervous during the heats and an explosive start by Kirk could knock him sideways.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Oops wrong forum
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Quarter Finals:

Kirk Bevins v Julie Russell/Jaqueline Baker - Kirk to win

Cate Henderson v Hamish Williamson - Cate will grind out a win here

Jimmy Gough v James Doohan - I've not seen James Doohan, maybe Stephen Porritt has changed his name? Anyway, Jimmy Gough to win.

Shane Roberts v Neil Zussman - Shane to beat my favourite player from the series, sadly.

Semi Finals

KB V SR - Kirk to win
CH V JG - Cate to win

Final

KB V CH - Kirk to win
Keith Bevins
Rookie

Post by Keith Bevins »

I've voted for Kirk but I might be a tad biased :D
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Joseph Bolas ftw.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Keith Bevins wrote:I've voted for Kirk but I might be a tad biased :D
Yep, because surely if he did win he would have told his own Dad, so if he didn't you love him so much you'll even rewrite history for him. ;)
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

This is a little bit of a spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen episodes up to Tuesday 9th of june, so dont shout at me for not saying.

Jaqueline baker needs to lose tomorows game with a score of 109 or higher to get 8th seed, so i'd say she its going to be kirk vs julie russell as the first game fo sho.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

I was lucky to meet both Shane and Julie at my recording, so I hope they both do well. Having said that Kirk & Neil are both pretty good. Kirk especially, so I have my doubts!
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Quarter Finals:
Kirk Bevins v Julie Russell/Jaqueline Baker - Kirk has too much word and number power for either Julie or Jackie, nice as they are.
Cate Henderson v Hamish Williamson - I agree Hamish got tired in the heats but in a sprint may give Cate a shock and I think he'll give her one! He'll do for me.
Jimmy Gough v James Doohan - This is the hardest one to call for me as James improved all the time. He may just pip Jimmy.
Shane Roberts v Neil Zussman - Neil was just too consistent and had the ability to get conundrums quickly

Semi Finals:
KB V NZ - Kirk should be about 15 points ahead of Neil.
HW V JD - Hamish may run out of steam again here and James will 'Doo' him.

Final
KB V JD - Kirk has to stand up to win - the best player in the Series by a long margin
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Allan Harmer wrote:Final
KB V JD - Kirk has to stand up to win - the best player in the Series by a long margin
Awesome. I love the idea of handicapping the elite players.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I love how this thread has practically turned into predicting who will lose to Kirk in the final :) I reckon Jimmy, with Cate and Neil as the other 2 semi-finalists.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I can't help agreeing with most of what's been said. I think that the only games to go against seeding will be Neil to beat Shane in the quarter-finals, and Jimmy to beat Cate in the semis.

Strangely enough, both pairs would have been seeded the opposite way around under earlier rules. Jimmy would've been above Cate had highest score still taken precedence over conundrum spots. And Neil would've been above Shane using the illogical rule of including tie-break conundrums in the score count.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

I think you will find that Neil will win.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

In case some of you can't remember all of the potential finalists, here are some links to six of the likely finalists in action. Regrettably, I can't find any links for Neil or Jimmy, but I'm still looking.

edited - Jimmy is now included. Thanks to whoever found it. :)

Still looking for a Neil link. Instead, there's a link to a photograph of him. Thanks again to that same person. :)
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:I love how this thread has practically turned into predicting who will lose to Kirk in the final :) I reckon Jimmy, with Cate and Neil as the other 2 semi-finalists.
Ha, very true Dinos.

Eventhough it looks as though one player will dominate, I am very much looking forward to all of the games and seeing their outcomes.
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

It's a shame I know the results, would've been nice to play along with this. Still, it's interesting to see everyone's logic. And all with be revealed very soon. :)
Keith Bevins
Rookie

Post by Keith Bevins »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Keith Bevins wrote:I've voted for Kirk but I might be a tad biased :D
Yep, because surely if he did win he would have told his own Dad, so if he didn't you love him so much you'll even rewrite history for him. ;)
Sorry to disappoint you Derek but despite many desperate attempts by me to trip him up during conversation, he hasn't told me a thing. Don't even know if he won his quarter final let alone the whole thing.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Keith Bevins wrote:Sorry to disappoint you Derek but despite many desperate attempts by me to trip him up during conversation, he hasn't told me a thing. Don't even know if he won his quarter final let alone the whole thing.
Wow, I am extremely impressed, Kirk! Now we all know who to go to when we want a shoulder to cry on, safe in the knowledge that it won't be spread all over the building. ;)
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Derek Hazell wrote:Wow, I am extremely impressed, Kirk! Now we all know who to go to when we want a shoulder to cry on, safe in the knowledge that it won't be spread all over the building. ;)
It's been hard but it will spoil it if any results are leaked. I just want it to be over as it really is frustrating to keep quiet.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Just one thing though, and I'm sure that to reveal it wouldn't be a spoiler. Can we assume that the top eight on the leaderboard are able to appear this time? For the last series, one player was unable to make it, and that has happened a few times before.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Howard Somerset wrote:Just one thing though, and I'm sure that to reveal it wouldn't be a spoiler. Can we assume that the top eight on the leaderboard are able to appear this time? For the last series, one player was unable to make it, and that has happened a few times before.
Yep, everyone made it.