In the real world

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Tom
Acolyte

In the real world

Post by Tom »

Hi guys, thought I'd start up a new thread here about your openness about your TV experience in the real world.

With myself, I tend to keep my experiences a secret for those who don't know or never recognised me from it. Main reason is, doing it at a young age is certainly not out the ordinary and as much as a year after appearing on the show I got sick of the questions and people mentioning it to me because I just wanted to move on and lead a normal life. These days I just like posting here every now and then and reading the game reviews.

Also as well, do you guys put that you've been on Countdown on your CV? I had it on for a while and in a couple of previous jobs, interviewers inevitably asked me about it and in one job several years ago, everyone found out and it got the point where it became aggravating.

Since graduating from University, I've been to a couple of graduate assessment centres and one of the things you do when making a self-introductory is talking about your greatest achievement and assessors are looking for something that "stands out" Though my TV experience is certainly something "different" which would be great to mention, I've never had the guts to say it - obviously I'm incredibly proud of what I did, but couldn't really face the questions so to speak. For the record, I marginally failed them both and maybe I might have passed if I'd mentioned my "real" greatest achievement.

This also might be irrelevant, but with any of the respective jobs/occupations you guys have, has Countdown, helped/aided you to get your job, get a better job etc.

Interested to hear experiences.
Probably the second tallest ever series finalist.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Re: In the real world

Post by Jason Larsen »

I met Bob Eubanks, the star of the UK game show Infatuation and the original US version of Newlyweds (The Newlywed Game) and had an e-mail read by Des O'Connor on Countdown!
Mike Brailsford
Acolyte

Post by Mike Brailsford »

I put an interesting in quizzing on my CV, but I can't say it has helped me get a job. I can think of only one employer who took a point of discussing it at an interview.

I can imagine the younger members might get tired of it like Tom says. If you are 10 year old and stuffing the pants of folk 4 times older than you it could expose you to all sorts of attention and not all of it may be flattering. That is a problem they have.

Friends will often ask me questions they can't answer. I try not to make too much of my quizzing experience, probably as I'm not a trumpet blower. A lot of it is to prove a point that I can give it a go rather than scream at the telly wishing I was there.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Somebody knows a lot about that, but at least we don't have to say "sorry" to him! Countdown is one of his many talents.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Tom wrote:Also as well, do you guys put that you've been on Countdown on your CV? I had it on for a while and in a couple of previous jobs, interviewers inevitably asked me about it and in one job several years ago, everyone found out and it got the point where it became aggravating.
I don't know about anyone else but I have my gameshow appearances on my CV. I may not have won, but its still something to say about myself that I think helps an interviewer to remember who I am (well I hope it makes me stand out a bit at least :lol:).
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Tom wrote:Also as well, do you guys put that you've been on Countdown on your CV? I had it on for a while and in a couple of previous jobs, interviewers inevitably asked me about it and in one job several years ago, everyone found out and it got the point where it became aggravating.
I don't know about anyone else but I have my gameshow appearances on my CV. I may not have won, but its still something to say about myself that I think helps an interviewer to remember who I am (well I hope it makes me stand out a bit at least :lol:).
I think it's well worth putting your experience on your cv. I once interviewed, and employed, a guy who did local hospital radio shows and there was just something about knowing that that gave me faith in him. He stayed with me until the end.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

I don't list my television appearances on my CV, since they bear no relevance to the industry in which I work, but there is a mention of participating in national Countdown and DCeDL tournaments as a pastime.

Seems a bit of a contradiction in terms to be proud of an achievement yet "not have the guts" to talk about it?

Jeff
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:He stayed with me until the end.
:shock:
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Jon Corby wrote:
lol I thought that. Very ominous!
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
lol I thought that. Very ominous!
Sorry to disappoint you guys, the "end" was me retiring and closing the company.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Are you the same Tom that 'retired' from Countdown?

If so, I think you need to stop taking yourself so seriously... :(
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum