An interesting Countdown observation

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jason Larsen »

Since I have watched Countdown, I have observed that there is no announcer on the show and the hosts do not introduce themselves. This has been true since Countdown's very first show with Richard Whiteley.

Could it possibly be because the cast and crew think the hosts are household names?

For example, by that I mean, someone does not say, "And now, here is the star of Countdown, Richarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd Whiteleeeeeeeeeeeey!"

Or could it be because they have wanted to make the show have a reserved atmosphere from the start?

I'm not positively sure about this, but I think Countdown is the first UK gameshow I have seen without an announcer.

This is just an observation I made. What does everyone think about that?
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Ralph Gillions »

That is indeed an interesting observation.
I have watched Countdown since it started, and it is something that has not registered with me.
The presenter and Carol are often referred to by their Christian names throughout the programme, but, as you say, they are not officially introduced. When introducing the guest Carol often introduces Susie Dent at the same time.
And all are named on the end credits of course.
I wouldn`t not want the silly (American?)- style introductions where the name is shouted on a long upward inflection.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

That is quite interesting.

Yes, I've seen full episodes of "Countdown," and Carol always says something like, "Sitting next to Susie Dent is the great..."

I also didn't know that a game show host being introduced with an upward inflection is strictly an American practice.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

The only British one that immediately springs to mind is Bullseye, but even that's sort-of grunted out by Tony Green- "And here's your host, Jim Booowen!"
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

If Peter Dickson talked just a little bit louder, he'd have that introduction down without a problem.
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Post by Jennifer Turner »

Jason Larsen wrote:Since I have watched Countdown, I have observed that there is no announcer on the show and the hosts do not introduce themselves. This has been true since Countdown's very first show with Richard Whiteley.
But until fairly recently (by which I mean about 1998) the names did come up on screen. It still looks wrong not to have a caption with the host's name on it at the start. I can't think of any good reason why they stopped doing that; it's probably just sheer laziness that they can't be bothered anymore.
I'm not positively sure about this, but I think Countdown is the first UK gameshow I have seen without an announcer.
If you're including quiz shows then "Mastermind" has never had an announcer, and it's been going since 1972. I suspect there are quite a few quiz shows that have just had a presenter with a name caption.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Oh, so they thought Richard Whiteley was a household name.

As for John Humphries, I don't know.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jennifer Turner wrote:It still looks wrong not to have a caption with the host's name on it at the start. I can't think of any good reason why they stopped doing that; it's probably just sheer laziness that they can't be bothered anymore.
Haha. Do you have some kind of personality disorder or are you just really dumb?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I thought she meant it was the other way around.
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jennifer Turner wrote:It still looks wrong not to have a caption with the host's name on it at the start. I can't think of any good reason why they stopped doing that; it's probably just sheer laziness that they can't be bothered anymore.
Haha. Do you have some kind of personality disorder or are you just really dumb?
That's a bafflingly belligerent response. Would it aid your comprehension if I were to restate what I was saying in bullet points?

1. They used to put the host's name up on a caption at the start of the show.
2. They don't do that anymore.
3. There seems to be no good reason why they don't do that anymore, other than that they just can't be arsed.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jennifer Turner wrote:3. There seems to be no good reason why they don't do that anymore, other than that they just can't be arsed.
So they can be arsed to make a 38 minute TV show, but not to put the host's name over the top of the introduction - is that really the most likely explanation you can devise? I think that's equivalent to my earlier question.

I'm sure you have something more useful to contribute than this totally vacuous criticism of some people you don't know doing something you don't understand.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

So, in this day and age, I know what they were thinking.

They were thinking, "Des O'Connor? Yes. We know him. Everyone knows him. Let's hire him to be the new host of Countdown."

And the show doesn't need an announcer, because a very cheery, "Good afternoon, Countdowners everywhere" from him tells us that yes, he is in our presence when we watch Countdown either online or offline.

Des O'Connor needs no introduction.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Jason Larsen wrote:Since I have watched Countdown, I have observed that there is no announcer on the show and the hosts do not introduce themselves. This has been true since Countdown's very first show with Richard Whiteley.

Could it possibly be because the cast and crew think the hosts are household names?

For example, by that I mean, someone does not say, "And now, here is the star of Countdown, Richarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd Whiteleeeeeeeeeeeey!"

Or could it be because they have wanted to make the show have a reserved atmosphere from the start?

This is just an observation I made. What does everyone think about that?
Maybe its because its a daytime TV programme? If you think about it shows like Countdown, Brainteaser, Weakest Link, Eggheads etc never do the big host-introduction voice you're talking about whereas evening game shows (Saturday Night Takeaway, Family Fortunes, Blind Date, Catchphrase) all have/had booming announcers, maybe to give it a sense of prime time grandeur. Perhaps its because these shows have/had big studio audiences and thats the best way to get a large number of people excited. On Countdown this would be a bit OTT and unneccessary as there's only about 100 people there.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Of course, I think the cast and crew made a great decision in hiring Des O'Connor to replace Des Lynam, and again, yes, Des O'Connor needs no introduction.

By the way, I would like to send some credit out to Damian if he's around here. Damian, would you please tell Des that a fan in me says hello? Also, don't tell him it's me or give out any personal information about me. Regardless, I'm sure he'd be happy to hear that.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:I'm sure you have something more useful to contribute than this totally vacuous criticism of some people you don't know doing something you don't understand.
Classic Reams ownage. Love it :D
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I am not at fault for anything.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jason Larsen wrote:I am not at fault for anything.
Jason, what is this in response to?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Oh, I thought you were talking about me in your last reply to that thread. If not, I sincerely apologize, sir.
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jennifer Turner wrote:3. There seems to be no good reason why they don't do that anymore, other than that they just can't be arsed.
So they can be arsed to make a 38 minute TV show, but not to put the host's name over the top of the introduction - is that really the most likely explanation you can devise? I think that's equivalent to my earlier question.
It's only a matter of putting a caption up for a few seconds, it's a small thing that doesn't matter enormously but is better done than not done. And no, there doesn't seem to be any very good reason for cutting that corner.
I'm sure you have something more useful to contribute than this totally vacuous criticism of some people you don't know doing something you don't understand.
You seem to be struggling with proportion here. And in any case, your defence of some people you don't know doing something you don't understand, is at best no less vacuous than my criticism of same, so to attack me on those grounds doesn't really make any sense.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'm not sure what's gotten into everybody today.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jason, please read the quoted material to get some context. Example follows.
Jennifer Turner wrote:It's only a matter of putting a caption up for a few seconds, it's a small thing that doesn't matter enormously but is better done than not done. And no, there doesn't seem to be any very good reason for cutting that corner.
Because doing things in post-production costs money and everyone in the world knows who Des O'Connor is anyway? I don't know if that's the reason. But it easily could be, and your lack of imagination does not imply laziness on the part of the production team.

My real point was that in your illustrious 7-post history, you've done nothing but whinge or express your uninteresting personal issues with Carol Vorderman. Other members may inform you that this forum is a lot more fun if you post something positive, original or constructive. Once you establish yourself as a useful member then people might want to hear whatever criticisms you have to level. This is a community of real people, not Yet Another Internet Whine-Fest.
is at best no less vacuous than my criticism of same
I'm afraid my head exploded during this sentence, but please imagine your own witty riposte here.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I really wasn't expecting this thread to derail, Charlie.

If you would like to talk to me more about this, please talk to me privately.

Thank you.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Hello, Jennifer. Welcome to the forum.

Sorry about the fairly unpleasant welcome you've received - maybe someone's had a bad day. We aren't all like that - at least I hope not. The "ignore" button isn't that difficult to find, if needed - click on someone's name and select "foe". (Which seems a bit melodramatic, but there you are.)
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Hi Folks,

Am happy to try and answer this in the hope it'll satisfy.

We USED to put captions up, many moons ago, but it became old hat. I don't watch that much tv, but it don't recall seeing captioning on any other shows. I know there aren't any for Gary Lineker on Match Of The Day, there's none for Noel Edmonds on DOND, there's none for the judges on X Factor, there's none anywhere.

The absence of captioning has nothing to do with laziness or 'not being arsed'. If there was a 'not being arsed' attitude among the Countdown team, i for one wouldnt be posting this reply. The production team on the show work their socks off, believe me. Try as some might to look for negative reasons, but i'm afraid the simple reason we don't have captions is because they suck and are completely unnecessary. To say it's 'cutting corners' is the most absurd, preposterous, nonsensical garbage i've ever heard in my entire life - so congratulations to Jennifer for that one, it'll take some beating i can assure you.

Bear in mind, people like Alan Hansen, Lulu, Gordon Ramsay, The Spice Girls and many others, all appear in TV Commercials without the need for formal identification, because there comes a point where to actually put their names up is almost derogatory.

I suppose in a way, if the only thing some people can find to complain about is lack of captions, pluralised teatime teasers or too many okey-dokes, then there can't really be all that much wrong. :lol: Keep 'em coming. :D
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David Roe wrote:Sorry about the fairly unpleasant welcome you've received - maybe someone's had a bad day.
Oh no, I like pointing out bad logic every day.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Oh no, I like pointing out bad logic every day.

Imagine what it'll be like when you're old and cantankerous. :o
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David loves Jennifer, David loves Jennifer.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I know we're not all that bad of people.

And Damian, it's nice to hear from you and thank you for getting this thread back on track.

How is Des doing?
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

He's fine, Jason.

He's in the middle of recording his new Xmas song for next year, called the Okey-Dokey-Cokey.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

He's still shining. I love people who work for as long as he haqs.

Remember, if you get a minute, tell him, "A fan says hello," (and don't tell him it's me.)
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Damian E wrote:
He's in the middle of recording his new Xmas song for next year, called the Okey-Dokey-Cokey.
Gets my vote for the funniest post on the forum.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I have a feeling that's true.

Who else would write a song with a title as silly as, "I Pretend?"
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Jason Larsen wrote:Who else would write a song with a title as silly as, "I Pretend?"
Les Reed and Barry Mason?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'm not sure who they are, and I'm not sure if you're even old enough to remember "I Pretend."
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

They're the fellows who wrote "I Pretend". The Des O'Connor hit "I Pretend". They also wrote "Delilah" for Tom Jones and "The Last Waltz" for Engelbert Humperdinck.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Now, those are songs I remember.

It's a shame that Des hasn't been here since 1958.
Harry Whitehouse
Rookie

Post by Harry Whitehouse »

Damian E wrote:Hi Folks,

Bear in mind, people like Alan Hansen, Lulu, Gordon Ramsay, The Spice Girls and many others, all appear in TV Commercials without the need for formal identification, because there comes a point where to actually put their names up is almost derogatory.
I think the "personality" advertisements are much more entertaining when the producers aren't really sure the characters will be familiar.

So they have to spend three or four seconds of valuable airtime for someone to whisper: "It's William Shatner!"
My home is on the south side,
High up on a ridge,
Just a half a mile from
The Scarborough Valley bridge.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

We know Des O'Connor.

Why?