Cryptic Somethingites

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Gary Male
Enthusiast

Cryptic Somethingites

Post by Gary Male »

Oh lordy, it's the unwelcome return of the cryptic series! This time it's with a twist - I'm not telling you who or what links the answers. I'm not even telling you if the clues make any sense or not :o

Oh, alright, there's a television theme going on. And I've edited 1: a bit so it actually does make sense.

22 points on offer - 1 for getting the right answer, 1 for giving the right method of getting to the answer, or 2 for giving and fully justifying an answer that is different to the one I've got. Max 2 points per clue.

If anyone gets all 22 points they win Jono*. Answers/justification in a PM please, closing time of, ooh, let's say 9:37pm GMT on MARIO day***.

1: Elementally, 2, 2, 3 and 3 - s
2: Π(1/2)², Π(1/3)², Π(1/4)², Π(1/5)², ...
3: 0.0625
4: Scalene Rovers, Isosceles United, Equilateral Athletic
5: Square root of 256
6: 1, 3, 6, 10 or 15 etc
7: 0.1 + ers
8: Roman 2 and 5 - s
9: 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 = 12
10: 1/2 or 0.5
Special bonus 11th question that doesn't quite fit the logic of the above:
11: C, A, B, F, G#, B, C, D, A, F, B, C, G, A, F#, C#, A, C, C

*Prize of equal or greater value may be substituted. Probably half a packet of crisps**.

**At CoNot 2009 or CoLin 2010. I'm not paying postage and packing.

*** 10th of March.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Re: Cryptic Somethingites

Post by Martin Gardner »

If I enter with all wrong answers, do I get zero? If so I might manage to beat a few people that slip into negative numbers.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I like the look of this, hopefully I'll have the chance to study it properly before Mario day.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Are we allowed to enter as many times as we want or do you just want the one entry?
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

You can have 1 guess/justification at each clue, but you could make those guesses over 11 separate PMs if you wanted.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I only attemped 3 of these questions so I am very curious as to find out what the other answers are :D
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

We'll find out when I can remember what the answers are :o (March 13th, for anyone who cares)

Until then feel free to post openly with answers/speculation/abuse that the clues don't make any sense.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Gary Male wrote:Until then feel free to post openly with answers/speculation/abuse that the clues don't make any sense.
#5 was 4 SQUARE (16 square root of 256 and 4 square root of 16) and for #6 I said PYRAMID (as the numbers were triangle numbers), which you accepted, but this is not what you originally had. For #10 I guessed SAME DIFFERENCE (from X Factor), but it was not accepted.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Gary Male wrote:Oh lordy, it's the unwelcome return of the cryptic series! This time it's with a twist - I'm not telling you who or what links the answers. I'm not even telling you if the clues make any sense or not :o

Oh, alright, there's a television theme going on. And I've edited 1: a bit so it actually does make sense.

22 points on offer - 1 for getting the right answer, 1 for giving the right method of getting to the answer, or 2 for giving and fully justifying an answer that is different to the one I've got. Max 2 points per clue.

If anyone gets all 22 points they win Jono*. Answers/justification in a PM please, closing time of, ooh, let's say 9:37pm GMT on MARIO day***.

1: Elementally, 2, 2, 3 and 3 - s
2: Π(1/2)², Π(1/3)², Π(1/4)², Π(1/5)², ...
3: 0.0625
4: Scalene Rovers, Isosceles United, Equilateral Athletic
5: Square root of 256
6: 1, 3, 6, 10 or 15 etc
7: 0.1 + ers
8: Roman 2 and 5 - s
9: 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 = 12
10: 1/2 or 0.5
Special bonus 11th question that doesn't quite fit the logic of the above:
11: C, A, B, F, G#, B, C, D, A, F, B, C, G, A, F#, C#, A, C, C

*Prize of equal or greater value may be substituted. Probably half a packet of crisps**.

**At CoNot 2009 or CoLin 2010. I'm not paying postage and packing.

*** 10th of March.
Bored now. Answer time.

1: 2, 2, 3 and 3 are the factors of 36. In the periodic table, element 36 is Krypton. so Krypton Factors minus s = Krypton Factor.

2: All formulas for circles that get smaller in sequence. They are Ever Decreasing Circles.

3: 0.0625 is the same as 1 in 16, or Fifteen To One

4: All triangles that have become part of sporting teams. Sporting Triangles.

5: See above

6: Just Triangle (with Kate O'Mara. Probably) would have done, no need to go the extra leap.

7: 0.1 is the same as 10%. Add ers and you get the Ten Percenters. It was a sitcom, alright?

8: Same logic as 1:, but 10 becomes X. X-Factor

9: The sum makes sense if you make it so Every Second Counts

10: More probability. Doesn't matter which you choose it's 50/50

11: Musically, ther eare 19 Keys.

Winner is Daniel Peake with 9 points. Nobody wins Jono. Next time* to encourage entries I'll offer something people might want to have.

*Bollocks will there be a next time. Though if there is they will be completely unfair instead of vastly unfair.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Really excellent. Wish I'd had more time to play with these.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

- > - > - > These clues

............ My head

Enjoyed having a go at them though :)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I can't believe that I didn't get the X-Factor, the Krypton Facton and 19 Keys (that was a brilliant game show, pity it was on Channel 5). Well done Gary for an awesome quiz and well done to Daniel for winning.

Did anyone get lower than 4 points?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Gary Male wrote:1: 2, 2, 3 and 3 are the factors of 36.
I don't get this. The factors of 36 are surely 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 18 and 36. Can you explain please? Sorry to be dense.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Gary Male wrote:1: 2, 2, 3 and 3 are the factors of 36.
I don't get this. The factors of 36 are surely 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 18 and 36. Can you explain please? Sorry to be dense.
He means the prime factors. Every positive integer (except for 1) can be expressed as a unique product of prime numbers, and for 36 its 2*2*3*3.

These were rather interesting clues btw, wish I'd made more of an effort with them now.