Something that bothers me

Round-by-round summaries of every game in recent series; for every series in the last 5 years, try cdb, the Countdown database. Obviously this forum contains spoilers!

Moderator: James Robinson

Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Something that bothers me

Post by Jason Larsen »

This bothers me. Since someone said something about it before, I will bring it up now.

When people like Kai Laddiman and Joseph Bolas do recaps of current episodes of Countdown, it bothers me when they say, "Oh, no!," if the contestants don't spot easy words with the letters there.

This makes me make fun of the contestants and also makes people like Kirk Bevins unhappy. So, Kai and Joseph, if you're reading this, please stop doing that.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: Something that bothers me

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Hi Jason.

I have a feeling that when Kai and Joseph are saying this, they are just joking around, because we all know just how good Kirk Bevins is really. It would be a bit like if Tiger Woods hit a drive to the right of the fairway and I said for a joke, "well, he's useless, isn't he!". Everybody knows Tiger Woods is a great golfer, just as everybody knows Kirk Bevins is a great Countdowner. If anything, it's a compliment that we are able to make jokes like this.

I'm not sure Kirk Bevins is unhappy about it, in reality! Hope this helps!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Jason Larsen wrote:When people like Kai Laddiman and Joseph Bolas do recaps of current episodes of Countdown, it bothers me when they say, "Oh, no!," if the contestants don't spot easy words with the letters there.
I'm not sure about Kai, but I've never said "oh no" in a recap before, Jason.
Les Butterworth
Rookie

Post by Les Butterworth »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Hi Jason.

I have a feeling that when Kai and Joseph are saying this, they are just joking around, because we all know just how good Kirk Bevins is really. It would be a bit like if Tiger Woods hit a drive to the right of the fairway and I said for a joke, "well, he's useless, isn't he!". Everybody knows Tiger Woods is a great golfer, just as everybody knows Kirk Bevins is a great Countdowner. If anything, it's a compliment that we are able to make jokes like this.

I'm not sure Kirk Bevins is unhappy about it, in reality! Hope this helps!
Great comparison Jon I certainly may have uttered "OH NO" when Tiger missed a couple of makable putts in the Accenture last week and even half duffed a simple chip. Maybe Tiger said under his breath even that aging ex +2 golfer Les B would have made that LOL.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Jon, thank you for assuring me that everything is all right.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

:geek: ;) 8-)
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Kai, I just want to make sure you understand something.

Say you came back on Countdown and Joseph Bolas recapped your return appearance. In Round 1, you got a letters selection of STHINGWPN. The Countdown clock starts and when it stops you say, "Jeff, I've got a 5." He says, "What is it, Kai?." Then, you say, THING.

What Joseph might do is say, "Oh, no, Kai, you missed an easy 6!" which would obviously be THINGS.

This is what makes me make fun of the contestants and makes Kirk Bevins unhappy.

My friend, please stop!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jason Larsen wrote:This is what makes me make fun of the contestants
You shouldn't make fun of the contestants Jason, that's not nice. Don't try and blame others for it.

Interesting also that by time Kai is allowed back on, not only have they abandoned the 3-vowel minimum.but Kai has suffered some kind of brain damage.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jason Larsen wrote:When people like Kai Laddiman and Joseph Bolas do recaps of current episodes of Countdown, it bothers me when they say, "Oh, no!," if the contestants don't spot easy words with the letters there.
Jason, if somebody misses an easy word, then the exclamation "Oh, no!" is more likely to be an expression of sympathy than anything else. It certainly doesn't mean that the contestant is being made fun of.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Or rather, I'm making fun of the contestants, Phil!

So fine, I'll stop. Now I know it's just an expression of sympathy.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Jason Larsen wrote:Say you came back on Countdown and Joseph Bolas recapped your return appearance. In Round 1, you got a letters selection of STHINGWPN. The Countdown clock starts and when it stops you say, "Jeff, I've got a 5." He says, "What is it, Kai?." Then, you say, THING.

What Joseph might do is say, "Oh, no, Kai, you missed an easy 6!" which would obviously be THINGS.
I still don't know why you are using me in this example because I have only done 6 recaps (that I can see) in this forum and I've not used the words "Oh no" in any of them.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

If you remember, Joseph, I said I wouldn't talk about it again because Phil made me feel better!

Thank you, Phil!