Hansford

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Hansford

Post by Douglas Wilson »

I missed most of the last series, but have heard a lot about this guy and his 'trick' on the conundrum.

What is he actually supposed to have done?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Douglas Wilson wrote:I missed most of the last series, but have heard a lot about this guy and his 'trick' on the conundrum.

What is he actually supposed to have done?
In his quarter- and semi-finals he (seemed to) buzz before he could have possibly known the answer (I seem to remember playing back his quarter-final spot in slow motion and seeing that he had buzzed before the letters had spun round). He got away with it in the quarters where he declared PARQUETRY without too much hesitation, but it looked like Des had been warned about him when it came to his semi, since he declared MALACHITE, but a bit too slowly and was disallowed (although then the clock restarted and Steve was given the option of buzzing in and 'stealing' the answer, or just sit there - then some cheeky bugger in the audience got a free mug out of it).

He allegedly did some even more dodgy stuff to do with cheating on numbers games and things, but it's probably better someone else tell that story, since I wasn't there to see it.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Re: Hansford

Post by Douglas Wilson »

But how the hell would he know the conundrum before the letters have spun around?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Douglas Wilson wrote:But how the hell would he know the conundrum before the letters have spun around?
He didn't. He buzzed then solved it in the time it took Des to say "wow, that was quick, er... Jeffrey, what do you think it is?" or in the case of PARQUETRY he just decided to interrupt Des.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

How is that cheating?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Douglas Wilson wrote:How is that cheating?
No one said it was cheating, in the sense of contravening any explicit rule. But it's clearly unsporting, because you're claiming to have solved something when you haven't.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

But its still super human to solve it in the ammount of time he had.

Also it's surely a huge gamble for him as if he doesn't get it in the time then his chance has gone.

What was the rumour about numbers games?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Douglas Wilson wrote:But its still super human to solve it in the ammount of time he had.

Also it's surely a huge gamble for him as if he doesn't get it in the time then his chance has gone.
A) No it is not superhuman. Many good players get conundrums in like 1 second.
B) Yes it is a gamble which sometimes doesn't pay off.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Douglas Wilson wrote:But its still super human to solve it in the ammount of time he had.

It puts his opponent in a very unfair position if, as with MALACHITE, the opponent has heard the answer but has to decide whether it's fair to buzz. Steve "Lovely" Baines chose not to, but it's not a decision I'd want to be faced with, especially if it were a crucial conundrum.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Douglas Wilson wrote:How is that cheating?
It isn't. The problem was that he wasn't always answering immediately. Usually, this doesn't really cause trouble, as it's very rare for people to try this trick. Jeff was simply taking the piss and playing in an unsporting manner at best, and by the semi-final he'd more than worn away any good will that may have been extended in usual circumstances.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Was Jeffrey invited to play on the last c of c?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I watched the QF clip pretty recently on YouTube, he said PARQUETRY straight away, before Des had asked him what it was. He'd actually said the word before I'd even seen the letters. Which reminds me, what the frig does it mean?
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Mike Brailsford
Acolyte

Post by Mike Brailsford »

Isn't it something to do with wooden floors, laying the wood into patterns ?

Some people tend to have this 'sporting' code about them. Nothing done is illegal or unfair, but its as if they are being made a fool of and need to draw attention to it. An example was the case of Manchester United vs Arsenal in the FA Cup last year when Nani was running rings around Arsenal. Arsene Wenger complained Nani was showboating, but really Nani showed the skills he is there to do.

I only had admiration for Geoffery. He has skills that make up for any lacking in his personality due to the possibility of Aspergers. All down to opinion at the end of the day.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Was he not also accused of verbally giving an identical numbers solution to his opponent, and then shredding his written version before it could be verified?
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Jojo Apollo wrote:Was Jeffrey invited to play on the last c of c?
Probably not, at the series 58 finals I heard a rumour that they didn't want him back because of the trouble he'd caused.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

David Williams wrote:Was he not also accused of verbally giving an identical numbers solution to his opponent, and then shredding his written version before it could be verified?
There's loads of different versions of this story, yeah. I know that in one game, he gave an identical solution to his opponent, (seemingly) without realising it, and they didn't check his paper. Still, it was a really pretty simple one, I think, the type that when you're at home you've got it in the first 5 seconds.

I think the actual accusation was when he played Steve Baines (could have been a different game, though) that he declared the right answer on the numbers game, when his opponent went first he then tried to 'steal' his opponent's numbers game, and tore up his piece of paper to hide the fact he didn't have it. They had to re-shoot the scene and Jeffrey just said 'my mind's gone blank' - I do remember seeing that on TV, and thinking nothing of it. As for why he said that, I only have other people's commentaries to go on.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

There used to be a clip on various video sites, including YouTube, that shows Jeffrey quite clearly looking over at Dave von Geyer's paper during their semi-final and then, oddly enough, declaring the same word (GROSSES). It's round 8 in this game: http://www.apterous.org/cdb/game.php?game=1281 . Anyone know what happened to the clip?
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Mike Brailsford wrote: He has skills that make up for any lacking in his personality due to the possibility of Aspergers.
It's strange, I'd say the opposite.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Mike Brailsford wrote:Some people tend to have this 'sporting' code about them. Nothing done is illegal or unfair, but its as if they are being made a fool of and need to draw attention to it. An example was the case of Manchester United vs Arsenal in the FA Cup last year when Nani was running rings around Arsenal. Arsene Wenger complained Nani was showboating, but really Nani showed the skills he is there to do.
That doesn't strike me as analogous at all - that's more like deliberately doing a really complicated numbers solution for no reason.

I'd say the conundrum buzzing thing is somewhat subjective though - I would assume that you are 'supposed' to buzz when you know the answer, and suspect that most people would assume their opponent held the same belief. My analogy would be using an anagram solver whilst playing on apterous - before we had a thread explicitly detailing what cheating was, it wasn't explicit that you weren't allowed to use one, but to most people this would obviously be unfair. But as I say, it's going to be a bit subjective because it all depends on one's interpretation of what the 'unwritten rules' are.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Charlie Reams wrote:There used to be a clip on various video sites, including YouTube, that shows Jeffrey quite clearly looking over at Dave von Geyer's paper during their semi-final and then, oddly enough, declaring the same word (GROSSES). It's round 8 in this game: http://www.apterous.org/cdb/game.php?game=1281 . Anyone know what happened to the clip?
For that one he interrupted Dave as he was part-way through declaring the word and finished it off.

As for what other people have said above Jeffrey did the same trick in the final too, he just waited slightly longer. There's nothing remotely exceptional about what he did, most top players could pull this 'tactic' and solve the conundrum in time.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Craig just said to me that he tried getting out his laptop in the middle of a round once. He assured me its a true story, but its so unbelievable i don't know what to think.

Does anybody have any general clips of Jeffrey, i want to watch them for comedy purposes.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

JackHurst wrote:Craig just said to me that he tried getting out his laptop in the middle of a round once. He assured me its a true story, but its so unbelievable i don't know what to think.

Does anybody have any general clips of Jeffrey, i want to watch them for comedy purposes.
Yeah I saw your conversation with Craig on apterous, maybe he's pulling your leg? It would be hilarious if true though
:lol:
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

I also seem to remember him getting a conumdrum where the soloution was GERANIUMS. This strikes me as quite odd, because its an anagram of MEASURING, and i thought conumdrums only ever had one soloution, if he said measuring would he have been wrong?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

JackHurst wrote:I also seem to remember him getting a conumdrum where the soloution was GERANIUMS. This strikes me as quite odd, because its an anagram of MEASURING, and i thought conumdrums only ever had one soloution, if he said measuring would he have been wrong?
I think you misremembered a lot of the details, but this wiki article should answer your questions.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

JackHurst wrote:I thought conumdrums only ever had one soloution, if he said measuring would he have been wrong?
There was at least one occasion, probably 10+ years ago, when a contestant buzzed in and said some word which sounded to me like one of Jo Brand's words, but RW said let's see if you're right, and it was. He then added as an aside that it could also be *********, which was a much more common word. (Nothing obscene, just can't remember the details.)

So in that case at least, if you come up with any valid 9-letter word (other than what's already on the board, because that wouldn't be an anagram), you get the points; even if it wasn't the word they had in mind.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

David Roe wrote:
JackHurst wrote:I thought conumdrums only ever had one soloution, if he said measuring would he have been wrong?
There was at least one occasion, probably 10+ years ago, when a contestant buzzed in and said some word which sounded to me like one of Jo Brand's words, but RW said let's see if you're right, and it was. He then added as an aside that it could also be *********, which was a much more common word. (Nothing obscene, just can't remember the details.)

So in that case at least, if you come up with any valid 9-letter word (other than what's already on the board, because that wouldn't be an anagram), you get the points; even if it wasn't the word they had in mind.
SPANGLIER / RELAPSING?
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

David Roe wrote:

Chris Waddington posted in one of the other sections how he got an anagram of the intended answer once so they reshot it and had the original intended answer as the jumble.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

As I said the last time, technically GERANIUMS is a valid answer, so they should accept it. Or better yet, don't set it in the first place!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martin Gardner wrote:As I said the last time, technically GERANIUMS is a valid answer, so they should accept it. Or better yet, don't set it in the first place!
And as everyone else said last time, you'd have to be a fucking retard to think the answer was GERANIUMS.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:As I said the last time, technically GERANIUMS is a valid answer, so they should accept it. Or better yet, don't set it in the first place!
And as everyone else said last time, you'd have to be a fucking retard to think the answer was GERANIUMS.
Doesn't invalidate my point though, does it?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

"Technically"? I don't remember any explicit rules about conundrums in the thing they sent me as a player. I'd've thought you could only talk about it being 'technically a valid answer' if you knew precisely what the rules were, otherwise it's guesswork at best. Or do they specify it?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Actually I just dug out the right messages on the old mailing list, and most of the people at the time said they should have allowed it.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Doesn't invalidate my point though, does it?
You were just making a blind assertion. Give me some reasons and I'll refute them. Then we'll be getting somewhere.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Actually, I think I can settle this. It says it should have been valid here - bad luck Charlie.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Martin Gardner wrote:Actually I just dug out the right messages on the old mailing list, and most of the people at the time said they should have allowed it.
To allow it and give the points would be crazy - at best they could have decided it was unwise and set another conundrum.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
To allow it and give the points would be crazy - at best they could have decided it was unwise and set another conundrum.
It would have been hilarious - taking a whole 2 seconds to just read the word. Anyway, conundrums can't be plurals (it says so in the guidelines) so GERANIUMS is obviously wrong. Settled.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
It would have been hilarious - taking a whole 2 seconds to just read the word. Anyway, conundrums can't be plurals (it says so in the guidelines) so GERANIUMS is obviously wrong. Settled.
As I recall, it doesn't specifically say that conundrums can't be plurals. If it does, then it's stupid.

It does refer to the conundrum as a 9-lettered anagram though, and by my definition of an anagram, GERANIUMS is not an anagram of GERANIUMS. So for that reason, I think it's settled. But I don't see why they should be used; it's a bit silly to cause confusion.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Michael Wallace wrote:Actually, I think I can settle this. It says it should have been valid here - bad luck Charlie.
No not really because I wrote that, and I'm not claiming I'm absolutely right! I'll summarise some of the points I read on the old forum. Btw I do think I mentioned that it would be useful to photocopy the rules and pass them around, so everyone can see them.

One person pointed out that not everybody reads the conundrum in the right order, they might just look at the letters and try and find the anagram. Something like RIGHTWANT, you might see in the -ING before you've read the letters in the right order. Also, does it actually say the conundrum is an anagram? Because yes strictly speaking you can't say that RETAINS is an anagram of RETAINS, it's just the same word. But if you ask me to make as many valid words as I can out of the letters RETAINS, RETAINS is valid because the word 'anagram' does appear in the question. Also, from experience, a lot of people don't know the 'no plural' rule for conundrums, like the conundrum CANVASSED the first player buzzed in with ADVANCES; it wouldn't be hard to find other examples on the Database.

I suppose it is ridiculous to just read the letters in order and get ten points for it - but it's not Lester's fault, he's not broken any rules. A couple of people just side-stepped the issue and just said "you should never deliberately set a conundrum with two valid answer".

Another good quote from the ABSP handbook (2005, paraphrased here) is "it's not possible to outline everything that is unacceptable in tournament play". Technically there's no rule saying during a round, you can't screw up a piece of paper and throw it at your opponent, but I don't think anyone would argue therefore that it's allowable!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Martin Gardner wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Actually, I think I can settle this. It says it should have been valid here - bad luck Charlie.
No not really because I wrote that, and I'm not claiming I'm absolutely right!
Yeah sorry, that was a not particularly obvious joke.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:
No not really because I wrote that, and I'm not claiming I'm absolutely right!
Yeah sorry, that was a not particularly obvious joke.
If it's any consolation, in my mind there was an 85% chance that it was a joke.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I would have been one of the 'tards mentioned by Charlie who was arguing the case for last time around. I won't go over the perfectly valid 'but people don't read it as a word' argument as mentioned by Martin above, but consider how the conundrum differs from a regular letters round. It's the same principle isn't it, other than that it's predetermined and you have to answer with a 9 letter word? If GERANIUMS comes straight out of the boxes in a regular letters round, you can declare it. Surely the same applies. Obviously it would have been lunacy to give him the points, but it's equally mad to disallow it. That conundrum should have been scrapped, or better still not even used in the first place.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:I would have been one of the 'tards mentioned by Charlie who was arguing the case for last time around. I won't go over the perfectly valid 'but people don't read it as a word' argument as mentioned by Martin above, but consider how the conundrum differs from a regular letters round. It's the same principle isn't it, other than that it's predetermined and you have to answer with a 9 letter word? If GERANIUMS comes straight out of the boxes in a regular letters round, you can declare it. Surely the same applies. Obviously it would have been lunacy to give him the points, but it's equally mad to disallow it. That conundrum should have been scrapped, or better still not even used in the first place.
The way I see it, the difference is:

Letters round - you are given letters one at a time => "make a word from these letters"
Conundrum - you are given a word (albeit a nonsense word or amalgamation of two words) => "make another word from this word"

If a conundrum is GERANIUMS, you are being given "GERANIUMS" to work with, so you've done no work if you buzz and declare "GERANIUMS" as that is where you started.
If a letters round comes out GERANIUMS, you are not being given "GERANIUMS", you are being given G + E + R + A + N + I + U + M + S to work with, so you've still technically put the letters together to create "GERANIUMS".

I don't know if I've explained that well, but the fundamental issue for me is the difference between being given letters and being given a word.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:The way I see it, the difference is:

Letters round - you are given letters one at a time => "make a word from these letters"
Conundrum - you are given a word (albeit a nonsense word or amalgamation of two words) => "make another word from this word"
Or, to go back to what's already been said: assuming (sorry Kirk) that Jono is correct and that the rules say that the final round involves being shown a 9-letter anagram which you have to solve, then GERANIUMS cannot be a valid answer according to the rules because it's not an anagram of GERANIUMS. End of.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:The way I see it, the difference is:

Or, to go back to what's already been said: assuming (sorry Kirk) that Jono is correct and that the rules say that the final round involves being shown a 9-letter anagram which you have to solve, then GERANIUMS cannot be a valid answer according to the rules because it's not an anagram of GERANIUMS. End of.
Oi. Don't shoot me down. I know it had basically been said before - but did it prove to be "end of" ? No. I was just expanding and from what I remember nobody had made the specific comment before that what is on the conundrum board is one word, and what is on the letters board is never a word, only 9 individual letters.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I think this thread wins the prize for most abuses of the word "technically".
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Charlie Reams wrote:I think this thread wins the prize for most abuses of the word "technically".
Basically, you're technically correct, but literally wrong.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Matt Morrison wrote:If a conundrum is GERANIUMS, you are being given "GERANIUMS" to work with, so you've done no work if you buzz and declare "GERANIUMS" as that is where you started.
If a letters round comes out GERANIUMS, you are not being given "GERANIUMS", you are being given G + E + R + A + N + I + U + M + S to work with, so you've still technically put the letters together to create "GERANIUMS".

I don't know if I've explained that well, but the fundamental issue for me is the difference between being given letters and being given a word.
IAWTP
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Maybe this geraniums guy thought it was a trick question.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Charlie Reams wrote:

Not quite everyone, I think you may have just called Corby a fucking retard.

**sits back with popcorn and waits for suitable retaliation from Corby**
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David O'Donnell wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:

I don't think Corby actually disputes that you'd have to be a retard to think that. Just that people shouldn't be put in a position where such retardary could occur.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

But still, "Hansford" would be an excellent name for an ITV drama about a no-nonsence barrister who doesn't play by the rules. "Normative jurisprudence? Yer 'avin' a larf ainchya? Put yer knickers on and make me a cuppa tea."

Ahem.
Kirk Bevins wrote:conundrums can't be plurals (it says so in the guidelines)
When was this added? I looked over my sheets from 2004 and didn't see anything about the conundrums. The authorititive tome that is the Countdown Bumper Puzzle Book states "As a rule of thumb, we never use 8-letter plurals as conundrums - so words like TROMBONES will never appear"
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Gary Male wrote:The authorititive tome that is the Countdown Bumper Puzzle Book states "As a rule of thumb, we never use 8-letter plurals as conundrums - so words like TROMBONES will never appear"
OK, I take back my post. Without checking, it sounds like I might be wrong. I guess I picked it up from Spreading the Word or your aforementioned puzzle book. Sorry.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Kirk Bevins wrote:conundrums can't be plurals (it says so in the guidelines)
:o Really? I never knew that in all the years I've been watching the show.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:
David O'Donnell wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:And as everyone else said last time, you'd have to be a fucking retard to think the answer was GERANIUMS.

I don't think Corby actually disputes that you'd have to be a retard to think that. Just that people shouldn't be put in a position where such retardary could occur.
Yeah, a bit of both. Or all three, or however many things I might be referencing there. It is obviously retarded, in the cold light of day, to think that the answer to a conundrum set as "geraniums" is "geraniums". What I don't agree with (and never have) was the accusation that the contestant was retarded to buzz in with that answer, as he may not be fully aware that he was actually just reading the scramble, rather than performing some other "reasonable" check that all the letters are there. I don't think the contestant should be concerned with such things - likewise the plural rule, it's purely one for the setters. If you give the "unofficial" plural 'rule' the same credence as the "unofficial" you-can't-give-the-valid-answer-that's-written-there rule, you could end up with multiple solution conundrums where one answer is a plural (and would be rejected) and one isn't. I'd be as unhappy about that as I am with GERANIUMS. I've got dribble on my colourful dungarees.