Say hello to Susie

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
david dawson
Rookie

Re: Say hello to Susie

Post by david dawson »

Lucy Gowers wrote:I always thought she was an editor with a commissioning background rather than a lex. I'm very impressed if you never struggle with Clive Upton's take on IPA (as used by Oxford). I'm comfortable with most dictionary publishers' versions of IPA but I have real trouble with Upton. I think many linguists do.
I prefer Greene King IPA myself.
Lucy Gowers
Rookie

Post by Lucy Gowers »

david dawson wrote:
Lucy Gowers wrote:I always thought she was an editor with a commissioning background rather than a lex. I'm very impressed if you never struggle with Clive Upton's take on IPA (as used by Oxford). I'm comfortable with most dictionary publishers' versions of IPA but I have real trouble with Upton. I think many linguists do.
I prefer Greene King IPA myself.
Deuchars for the win!
david dawson
Rookie

Post by david dawson »

I love funning around me.
Lucy Gowers
Rookie

Post by Lucy Gowers »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Lucy Gowers wrote:I'm very impressed if you never struggle with Clive Upton's take on IPA (as used by Oxford). I'm comfortable with most dictionary publishers' versions of IPA but I have real trouble with Upton. I think many linguists do.
I'd probably spend a bit of time learning how to use it if it was my job! :P
I remember being shocked that Alison Heard clearly didn't have a clue what 'orisons' meant. But then I remembered it's a tea-time parlour game not the groves of academe. It's showbiz, Gavin. The viewers would complain if they had to look at David Crystal or Michael Quinion every day.
Paul Hawkins

Post by Paul Hawkins »

They used to rotate the lexicographers (can only remember Tania & Alison's names but think there were quite a few others) - when did Susie finally see off all the competition? I'm in the Susie over CV/Rachel camp too (probably a minority!)
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Paul Hawkins wrote:They used to rotate the lexicographers (can only remember Tania & Alison's names but think there were quite a few others) - when did Susie finally see off all the competition? I'm in the Susie over CV/Rachel camp too (probably a minority!)
Nah, I think most true fans know that Susie's the real star.
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

I used to know a girl who was the dead spit of Susie. No doubt that's why I fancied her.

I think the exits of Des and Carol should have been used as a chance to look at the format. Perhaps Jeff and Susie as the main presenting team, at least until Rachel has settled in? Susie's personality is increasingly well-known and well-liked, whereas all we really know about Rachel so far is that she's had a boyfriend for 4 years and loves Manchester United (especially Cristiano Ronaldo).
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Jimmy Gough wrote:
Paul Hawkins wrote:They used to rotate the lexicographers (can only remember Tania & Alison's names but think there were quite a few others) - when did Susie finally see off all the competition? I'm in the Susie over CV/Rachel camp too (probably a minority!)
Nah, I think most true fans know that Susie's the real star.
As much as I like Susie, and I do, I also liked Richard Sampson, Alison Heard, Phiona Stanley and quite a few others. But Susie's been going since I think 1992 now, so roughly 17 years in a row. I suppose the lexicographer's job is mainly to stay quite during the program and stick to their job and let Rachel, Jeff and the guest do the jokes. So in that sense I don't mind who does it.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?