Spoilers for Friday 13th February 2009

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

David Roe
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers and comments for Friday 13/02/2009

Post by David Roe »

David Roe wrote:When did "grails" become acceptable? It's always been disallowed when I've heard it before, presumably it's got into the NODE2 with a lower case g?
Anyone?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

David Roe wrote:
David Roe wrote:When did "grails" become acceptable? It's always been disallowed when I've heard it before, presumably it's got into the NODE2 with a lower case g?
Anyone?

Countmax lists it as OK, I don't physically own the current dictionary but I think you're right. Jim Bentley had it disallowed, if memory serves me right.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:
Lesley Jeavons wrote:Junaid, I really think you should apply - you'd be great! :mrgreen:
That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me, like, ever :D However I'm fairly certain that if I was allowed a 3rd shot, Joseph Bolas would kill me. Or himself.
:lol:

I would never kill anyone.
david dawson
Rookie

Post by david dawson »

Kate Richardson wrote:As someone who the local lads on an estate I used live on would shout out "paedophile" to (among other things) as I walked down the street believe me lesley queer is most definitely a homophobic word. Lesbians and gay men very rarely muse on semantics when their heads are being kicked in. Like all other words it needs to be looked at in context. I hope this gives everyone some insight as to how difficult it was to play such a disgusting word like poofter and why I hurried away from a giggly, less painful word like woofter ....the programme was edited differently however....and I hate to see myself grinning broadly when I say the word and that's about it. The production team have chosen to edit out the very emphatic "yes" i say when susie mentions that both are derogatory terms.
I agree that you seem to have been appallingly misrepresented. I was looking forward to tales of sapphic sauciness and lady love but all you seemed to talk about was cakes and jam. What happened?
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

David Roe wrote:
Anyone?
I was surprised too. And my rejecting GRAILS made the difference between Kate beating me and me beating Kate in this game. I clearly remember GRAILS being rejected because it was only in as capitalised in connection with the Holy Grail. But on checking the OED2r, I see it's now listed as a lower case word as well.

Checking further, I see it's already been accepted already, once in series 55 and again in series 56 when offered by Amey Deshpande.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:23 pm
Kate Richardson wrote:As someone who the local lads on an estate I used live on would shout out "paedophile" to (among other things) as I walked down the street believe me lesley queer is most definitely a homophobic word. Lesbians and gay men very rarely muse on semantics when their heads are being kicked in. Like all other words it needs to be looked at in context. I hope this gives everyone some insight as to how difficult it was to play such a disgusting word like poofter and why I hurried away from a giggly, less painful word like woofter ....the programme was edited differently however....and I hate to see myself grinning broadly when I say the word and that's about it. The production team have chosen to edit out the very emphatic "yes" i say when susie mentions that both are derogatory terms.
You seem determined to misunderstand everything I say, presumably lest I contradict your image of this forum as occupied by a bunch of rampant homophobes. As anyone who actually knows me at all can tell you, you couldn't be more wrong. I won't make the mistake of replying to your illiterate ramblings again.
I know I'm over 10 years late, but was this even a reply to you? It looks more like a general comment to the thread as a whole.