Eggheads

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Eggheads

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Anyone else a fan of this quiz show?

I wonder how the legend Kevin Ashman would fare on Countdown, he's nailed Mastermind, 15-to-1, world quiz championship etc etc. Also would be fun to see the infamous CJ on Countdown. :lol:
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Re: Eggheads

Post by Gary Male »

I am 100% certain that CJ will never appear as a contestant in the future.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Gary Male wrote:I am 100% certain that CJ will never appear as a contestant in the future.
:lol: He must have passed by my radar on that one :oops:
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

I appeared on Eggheads as captain of the 'Decision Makers' in May 2006 and needless to say, my team didn't win. We have played in a quiz league in our Clubhouse at work for the last 14 years and won it 9 times.

My team had a 'mare against the Eggheads and we each got one question wrong. Unfortunately, all their guesses were right and ours were wrong.

Coincidentally, we also have a guy called Kevin Ashman in our team and we put him up against their Kevin on Sport and he did brilliantly to take him to 5 tie breaks before getting a real shit question about a past NZ Rugby captain (Not one of the obvious ones).

Afterwards, Kevin Ashman came over with the other Eggheads and had a 10 minute chat with us and was interested to hear that we came from the same area as him. He very was charming and down to earth.

Kevin told us that they are not paid a fee for appearing on EH and they only get prize money if they win, so that helps to explain why they take it so seriously.

The big difference between CD and EH is that Dermot Murnaghan never spoke to us first nor last other than asking the questions. He just came in, did the show and buggered off! As soon as we were beaten we were ushered out of the studio door before you had time to blink.

This was in total contrast to CD where you are made very welcome for the whole day by the whole of the CD team, without exception!

To answer your question, I would guess that Kevin is no mug and could probably give most of the average players a good game.

Al
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

When I watch I get the impression that the questions are tailored to the "Eggheads" - e.g. if the subject is music, the challengers seem to get questions on rap, hip-hop etc, and the "eggheads" get questions on light classics..... perhaps it is my imagination - the team is pretty awesome anyway.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Gary Male wrote:I am 100% certain that CJ will never appear as a contestant in the future.
On CJ's web site, obviously an old one as it isn't there now, he gave a synopsis of his time at Countdown and he likened it to one of the worst experiences of his life. The Green Room was cold and unwelcoming and he was left to his own devices for the time he was there. He stated he would never return. He was obviously peeved he didn't win a teapot!

I can't find this anywhere on the Internet now.

I agree with others, I would expect Kevin to do pretty well at Countdown.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:
On CJ's web site, obviously an old one as it isn't there now, he gave a synopsis of his time at Countdown and he likened it to one of the worst experiences of his life. The Green Room was cold and unwelcoming and he was left to his own devices for the time he was there. He stated he would never return. He was obviously peeved he didn't win a teapot!

I can't find this anywhere on the Internet now.
Thanks to the wonderful wizard of Oz*

http://web.archive.org/web/200710200546 ... vision.htm

*The wayback machine.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Hey, that's impressive!
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

For the relatively new members amongst us, it's worth adding that CJ came along to the Countdown in Bristol (Cobris) tournament in 2007, and was a thoroughly nice bloke. Countdown is not his game, but he took part, showed himself to be extremely modest, bought two rounds of drinks and ran a few quizzes for us in a nearby pub afterwards.

Hopefully there will be more Cobris events in future - but that's for another topic.

I'm unsure where the ascertation that Kevin would be decent at Countdown has come from though. He's obviously a clever chap (slight understatement there), and with his memory I doubt learning word lists would be a problem, but Eggheads and quizzes in general don't require anagramming ability, or brilliance at different numbers selections.

Allan: I can vaguely recall a Kevin taking on Kevin at sport. I'll keep an eye out for it again, as old shows are repeated on Challenge at stupid hours.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kevin Thurlow wrote:When I watch I get the impression that the questions are tailored to the "Eggheads" - e.g. if the subject is music, the challengers seem to get questions on rap, hip-hop etc, and the "eggheads" get questions on light classics..... perhaps it is my imagination - the team is pretty awesome anyway.
They ask the contestants which set of questions they want before they start, so I don't think this could be the case unless that whole part of the show is a charade (possible but probably unlikely following Ant-and-Dec-gate.)
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Yeah Allan, I remember the episode with the second Kevin Ashman, bit surprised to hear Dermot didn't take time out to talk with you contestants or make you welcome, seemed like a decent bloke.

Shows you can't judge a book by it's cover, I always thought CJ came across as a bit arrogant and dismissive but hearing Dan's account's goes to show this maybe just his onscreen persona.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Eggheads isn't a bad show! I like it!

I thought Dermot Murnaghan would return later in this series, but he hasn't. Why is Jeremy Vine still on Eggheads?
AnnieHall
Acolyte

Post by AnnieHall »

I think Dermot is too busy on Sky TV now.
Hate Daphne, she is a smug bitch who always goes on about her numerous Grandchildren (Yawn!)
Judith is far too posh! (Also, she only actually won MIllionaire which is a lot less that the other Eggheads have done in their quizzing careers).

Love the show though, watch it every day.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

AnnieHall wrote: Judith is far too posh! (Also, she only actually won MIllionaire which is a lot less that the other Eggheads have done in their quizzing careers).

Love the show though, watch it every day.
Which shows by the number of times she is beaten. I like her "poshness", makes me laugh, especially the way Jeremy Vine takes the mickey out of it.

CJ makes me laugh in a different way! (It's reassuring to hear that he's different in person)

I also watch it every day but wish they'd put it back to the 6pm slot.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Annie, if you're a new member here, welcome and thank you for the information!
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:
I also watch it every day but wish they'd put it back to the 6pm slot.
Yeah same here, the quiz before it is pretty naff.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

The Weakest Link? No! It's not that unoriginal?
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

I think he's talking about Battle of the Brains.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

With Nicky Campbell? I've never seen that show, so I don't know!

Where has The Weakest Link been?
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Innis Carson wrote:I think he's talking about Battle of the Brains.
Yeah Battle of the Brains, just seems run of the mill.

Weakest Link is on weekdays BBC1 5.15pm I think.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Eggheads moved to BBC2. I see.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jason Larsen wrote:Eggheads moved to BBC2. I see.
No, Eggheads has always been on BBC2. Weakest Link moved to BBC1.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
No. Eggheads was originally on BBC1 and moved to BBC2.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Gary Male wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:
No. Eggheads was originally on BBC1 and moved to BBC2.
Yeah in it's daytime slot it was on BBC1 originally. Became more popular and was given this more peaktime slot on BBC2.
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Previous Countdowners are still hoping to appear soon (as 'The Carol Vorderman Fan Club') There are dates in March, so hopefully we will be invited for one of those days.
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jojo Apollo wrote:
Gary Male wrote:No. Eggheads was originally on BBC1 and moved to BBC2.
Yeah in it's daytime slot it was on BBC1 originally. Became more popular and was given this more peaktime slot on BBC2.
Apologies. I wasn't aware that it had been on in the daytime - it's always been on BBC2 at 6pm, and more latterly 6.30, ever since I became aware of it.

A researcher from the show rang me a couple of years ago to ask if I'd be interested in putting a team together. Coincidentally I was in the process of preparing to apply and had managed to get five people (including myself) together, but when she told me I'd need six people (including one reserve team member) I couldn't be arsed to pursue it any further. The other problem with that show is that it's the luck of the draw as to how many days' prize money has rolled over by the time you get on; I saw the episode last year when a team won £75,000 between them which is pretty respectable, but if you have to share just a grand or two between six of you then it's hardly worth the bother.

I've got an audition for series 4 of 1 vs 100 on Monday, so keep your fingers crossed for me. (I also auditioned for series 3 and got a call to say I'd made the final selection pool for contestants, but didn't make it onto the show in the end, so I'm hoping this time I'll be luckier.)
Last edited by Phil Reynolds on Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Debbi Flack wrote:Previous Countdowners are still hoping to appear soon (as 'The Carol Vorderman Fan Club') There are dates in March, so hopefully we will be invited for one of those days.
Keep us informed on progress please Debbi.

BTW - Who are the other team members?
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Friends of mine appeared on Eggheads a few weeks ago managing to win even though they were down to two players. Unfortunately for them the money had gone on the previous show so they only got a measly 1k, divided six ways, for their efforts.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Phil Reynolds wrote: Apologies. I wasn't aware that it had been on in the daytime - it's always been on BBC2 at 6pm, and more latterly 6.30, ever since I became aware of it.

A researcher from the show rang me a couple of years ago to ask if I'd be interested in putting a team together. Coincidentally I was in the process of preparing to apply and had managed to get five people (including myself) together, but when she told me I'd need six people (including one reserve team member) I couldn't be arsed to pursue it any further. The other problem with that show is that it's the luck of the draw as to how many days' prize money has rolled over by the time you get on; I saw the episode last year when a team won £75,000 between them which is pretty respectable, but if you have to share just a grand or two between six of you then it's hardly worth the bother.

I've got an audition for series 4 of 1 vs 100 on Monday, so keep your fingers crossed for me. (I also auditioned for series 3 and got a call to say I'd made the final selection pool for contestants, but didn't make it onto the show in the end, so I hoping this time I'll be luckier.)
What would you rather, share £1000 or win a Countdown Teapot?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:What would you rather, share £1000 or win a Countdown Teapot?
Win a teapot all to myself, obviously. And then sell it for £1000 on eBay.
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Allan Harmer wrote:
Debbi Flack wrote:Previous Countdowners are still hoping to appear soon (as 'The Carol Vorderman Fan Club') There are dates in March, so hopefully we will be invited for one of those days.

Unless there have been any last minute changes - David Von Geyer, Steve Baines, Jonathan Coles, Mark Tournoff and Tony Warren.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Yes, that's right!

I know.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jason Larsen wrote:Yes, that's right!

I know.
Yes, what's right? What do you know? Jason, why do you always assume that we all have some telepathic ability to know who it is you're replying to? If you would get into the habit of quoting the relevant part of the post you're replying to, your replies would have some chance of making sense to the rest of us.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:Yes, that's right!

I know.
Yes, what's right? What do you know? Jason, why do you always assume that we all have some telepathic ability to know who it is you're replying to? If you would get into the habit of quoting the relevant part of the post you're replying to, your replies would have some chance of making sense to the rest of us.
It's a pity the "Post Reply" button isn't in the post box next to the "Quote" button so it could automatically show the reference to the post being replied to.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Phil Reynolds wrote:your replies would have some chance of making sense to the rest of us.
Woah there, don't get carried away.

I'm probably being massively over-sensitive here, but having a group of ex-Countdown contestants called "The Carol Vorderman Fan Club" sounds like a bit of a statement. I mean, if you say "Oh, Rachel's great and that, but we all filmed with Carol and so blah blah blah" then obviously that utterly defuses it, but if you don't then inferences can be drawn. Maybe correctly, I don't know.

I haven't expressed that very well I don't think, and it's probably just me being over-defensive (again) of the new regime I love so dearly, but hopefully you get the point. If indeed there is one.
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the name was picked and put forward before Carol announced she was leaving. Maybe David will change it once we get there - I don't know how that works.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Debbi Flack wrote:I'm not 100% sure, but I think the name was picked and put forward before Carol announced she was leaving. Maybe David will change it once we get there - I don't know how that works.
Fair enough Debbi - do you kinda see what I mean though? Or am I being an over-sensitive idiot?
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Yes, I do see where you're coming from. It absolutely wasn't meant as a slight to Rachel though - perhaps we will need to make that point (if we ever get to air!).
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Debbi Flack wrote:Yes, I do see where you're coming from. It absolutely wasn't meant as a slight to Rachel though - perhaps we will need to make that point (if we ever get to air!).
;)
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Nice, see if you can persuade the great man Kevin Ashman to appear as a contestant on Countdown. :)
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Allan Harmer wrote:
Kevin told us that they are not paid a fee for appearing on EH and they only get prize money if they win, so that helps to explain why they take it so seriously.
I thought they were paid a fee, even more kudos to the Eggheads for doing this then. So do they split £1000 each day between them when they win?
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

The Eggheads lost again today, fourth time this year (2009)
Come on you Countdowners, get in there while they are suffering.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Jojo Apollo wrote:
Allan Harmer wrote:
I thought they were paid a fee, even more kudos to the Eggheads for doing this then. So do they split £1000 each day between them when they win?
Yes - That's how it works Jojo - As prize money is 'Tax Free' I guess that's how they get around having to pay tax on their EH earnings.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Cheers Allan.
Lee Simmonds
Acolyte

Post by Lee Simmonds »

Debbi Flack wrote:
Allan Harmer wrote:

Unless there have been any last minute changes - David Von Geyer, Steve Baines, Jonathan Coles, Mark Tournoff and Tony Warren.
I assumed this idea had died a death as I emailed David indicating my interest and never received a reply. That's a bit disappointing that I was not even considered.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Yes, Eggheads moved to BBC2, Phil!
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

"They ask the contestants which set of questions they want before they start, so I don't think this could be the case unless that whole part of the show is a charade (possible but probably unlikely following Ant-and-Dec-gate.)"

They only ask who wants to go first, then pick up a few cards - it isn't clear if they pick up the same cards whatever the answer. I agree they might be wary following high-profile cases of TV dishonesty.

Thye might get a bigger audience if Judith had to answer, "I think it's 'Smack My Bitch Up', Dermot."

I encountered CJ at a chess event after he had been on Countdown and he was a bit peeved at losing, but was blaming himself.

Kevin
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

As a few people know, and a few others have found out to my delight/confusion on facebook, I'll be in a team of ex-student tenpin bowlers taking on the Eggheads next Monday (the 11th). It goes without saying that my life won't be complete until Jason watches the show, and informs me that I'm "a funny guy" afterwards.

I'll crop a pic of me from the show to use as an avatar on here once it's been broadcast, and will hopefully attract a much bigger gay following than Kirk and Dinos managed.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Dan, I would like to inform you of this post.

http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic. ... 608#p42608
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Dan Vanniasingham wrote:I'll crop a pic of me from the show to use as an avatar on here once it's been broadcast, and will hopefully attract a much bigger gay following than Kirk and Dinos managed.
Hehe you wish! :) Good luck on the show matey. Will be watching just on the off chance that there's a funny guy on.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Dan Vanniasingham wrote:As a few people know, and a few others have found out to my delight/confusion on facebook, I'll be in a team of ex-student tenpin bowlers taking on the Eggheads next Monday (the 11th). It goes without saying that my life won't be complete until Jason watches the show, and informs me that I'm "a funny guy" afterwards.

I'll crop a pic of me from the show to use as an avatar on here once it's been broadcast, and will hopefully attract a much bigger gay following than Kirk and Dinos managed.
(SPOILERS)
Good work Dan - thought you were very cool under pressure and took the final round to a close finish. I had at least heard of Guy Gibson, having seen the film The Dam Busters, but would have erred the other way and guessed 30 given that he was a Wing Commander and was portrayed by Richard Todd who was in his mid-30s when the film was made. So bad luck but well done. Are you going to write an 'Experience'?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Dan Vanniasingham wrote:As a few people know, and a few others have found out to my delight/confusion on facebook, I'll be in a team of ex-student tenpin bowlers taking on the Eggheads next Monday (the 11th).
Are you going to write an 'Experience'?
How on earth did you manage to avoid saying 'eggsperience'? I am impressed.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

There was a great moment when Dan appeared to be trying to psych out CJ:

Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Thanks for the kind comments Phil. I'm still very much in "beat myself up" mode about it all, which is a little odd as I'd been quite fine about it for most of the last 6 1/2 months whilst Paul (who at least won his head-to-head) has constantly kicked himself over it all. Met up with Paul tonight for a post-mortem and feel a little better, but essentially I contributed nothing & found out that 90% of people do seem to know Gil Gibson's life history. :cry:

Fortunately, my team-mates all enjoyed it and have been supportive. They all did brilliantly, and all the head-to-heads were cut down to fit into the timeslot - we could have won all 4, but the Eggheads deserve credit for edging them out eventually. When I'm feeling less miserable I may do a write-up, although beyond "So you lost?" most people aren't that fussed.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Phil Reynolds wrote:There was a great moment when Dan appeared to be trying to psych out CJ:

Lol love it! :D

I noticed there were many reaction-faces caught on the Dan-cam, interspersed between other people's head-to-heads. Without knowing your mates I thought you might have gone for the sports category though. You and your team-mates did pretty well and were very unlucky to all get knocked out in the sudden death part of their head to heads. Now you can put your feet up and enjoy a nice cafe con liqueurro :P

ps For the record I have no idea who Gil Gibson is. Only question in the final I knew was the blue meanies but somehow I guessed the other 2 correctly!
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Are you going to write an 'Experience'?
I hope he does. Then he can join our super secret fun experience club :)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:For the record I have no idea who Gil Gibson is.
Me neither. I expect he works at Cassie's in EastEnders.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I'm another who doesn't know Gil Gibson. But I'm certainly aware of Guy Gibson.

Good to see you on the show Dan. I missed it this afternoon, but when reading the yesterday's Coundown spoiler thread a couple of hours ago, saw the reference to you prog being shown, and so decided to watch it on iPlayer before going off to bed.

You came so close. Well done.
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Well done Dan. I liked the shirt - you certainly made sure you stood out from the crowd.

Shame you didn't manage to have a head-to-head - I'm sure you'd have given CJ a run for his money.

Did you say you were 26 years old at the start of the programme? I thought you looked a lot younger than that when we met at the Final Countdown in Leeds. There again, I'm just an old git so maybe it's more difficult for me to judge the age of younger people.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

I'm sure some of you will have had the same email through as me.... the invitation to make up an Eggheads team.

Anyone interested?
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.