Countdown rules

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Countdown rules

Post by Martin Gardner »

I know on here we talk a lot about the rules, but how many of us have actually seen a paper copy of them? And as Julie once pointed out, they're not on the Internet either. Since I was a stand-by for the Series I was in, I never actually received the contestant guidelines. Like for instance, viewers get annoyed if you say 'please' after every letter, which I did, because I had never read the guidelines!

Does anyone think maybe they could scan them and turn them into a pdf?

I hope this is a good topic for my 1000th post.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Roxanne
Rookie

Re: Countdown rules

Post by Roxanne »

I had no idea that you had to have 3-5 vowels until Jeff said so. If the first two letters were T and R, I would want to go with all vowels afterwards to try and get etaerio (the most likely 7 letter word in Scrabble).
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I suppose the rules for the numbers are quite well known. Interestingly, I used to think it was illegal to go over 1000 until I saw someone do it. I've even seen someone declare 1000 on a 999 game (was it against DOD?).

The letters games are really tricky, and there's definitely some dispute about what the rules allow, and what they don't. A prime example if NAILERY, which is listed as a noun but it doesn't specify the -ies ending like it does for say, baby. So NAILERYS really ought to be allowed, even if it is insane. Plus there's FUNNEST/FUNEST. It's one syllable, so you can automatically have a comparative and a superlative, but it doesn't say that you double the N. Although that is the normal rule for words ending single-vowel-consonant. So technically it's hard to come up with an argument to disallow FUNEST while the rules are as they are (as I believe them to be, I mean). You could argue it's ridiculous, and granted it is, but I personally wouldn't disallow it just because of that.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

At least with Susie in DC all the time there is more chance of consistency than when they used to rotate the lexicographer, or is Damian so quick on the earpiece?
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Wikipedia has a copy of the rules!
AnnieHall
Acolyte

Post by AnnieHall »

I was reading in the paper the other day how Wikipedia often gets information wrong, in fact, it made it sound like you can hardly believe a word you read in it!
Roxanne
Rookie

Post by Roxanne »

People do sometimes make jokes in articles, and companies occasionally delete things that they want to keep quiet, but the vast majority of information on wikipedia is right, and most of it is referenced. That's just not much of a story.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Roxanne wrote:etaerio (the most likely 7 letter word in Scrabble).
...next to OTARINE. ;)

Maybe the rules can be incorporated into the FAQ somehow?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Ok
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

AnnieHall wrote:I was reading in the paper the other day how Wikipedia often gets information wrong, in fact, it made it sound like you can hardly believe a word you read in it!
Oh noes, anyone would think the Mail had an axe to grind. Facts - who needs 'em!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Roxanne wrote:etaerio (the most likely 7 letter word in Scrabble).
...next to OTARINE. ;)

Yeah but we really need a photocopy of the official rules that get given to contestants before they appear. Maybe Neil, Kate, Kirk or someone who's been in this series can photocopy them and turn them into a pdf.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Now, I feel bad but I shouldn't worry! It's not the end of the world!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Martin Gardner wrote:I suppose the rules for the numbers are quite well known.
You're not allowed fractions, even in your working out stage, and I don't know if that's well known. I think John Ashmore tried it in a game once.
Plus there's FUNNEST/FUNEST. It's one syllable, so you can automatically have a comparative and a superlative, but it doesn't say that you double the N. Although that is the normal rule for words ending single-vowel-consonant. So technically it's hard to come up with an argument to disallow FUNEST while the rules are as they are (as I believe them to be, I mean). You could argue it's ridiculous, and granted it is, but I personally wouldn't disallow it just because of that.
But as I explained here - http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic. ... 553#p12553 - you can disallow FUNNER and FUNNEST on the basis that if the N was doubled it would be listed, and you can disallow FUNER and FUNEST on the basis that in the usage box, it says that the comparative and superlative would be FUNNER and FUNNEST.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:I suppose the rules for the numbers are quite well known.
You're not allowed fractions, even in your working out stage, and I don't know if that's well known. I think John Ashmore tried it in a game once.
I don't see why not, I often do at home just to confuse SWMBO!
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Gavin Chipper wrote:You're not allowed fractions, even in your working out stage
Can you elucidate as to a situation where this might be disallowed? E.g. if you're trying to make 156 from 100, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6, one way would be to say "3 over 4 times 100 is 75, times 2 is 150 and add 6". 3/4 is a fraction, but since what you're saying is equivalent to "3 x 100 / 4", what difference does it make?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:You're not allowed fractions, even in your working out stage
Can you elucidate as to a situation where this might be disallowed? E.g. if you're trying to make 156 from 100, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6, one way would be to say "3 over 4 times 100 is 75, times 2 is 150 and add 6". 3/4 is a fraction, but since what you're saying is equivalent to "3 x 100 / 4", what difference does it make?
You couldn't, for example, say "8*(100+1/4) = 802".
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon Corby wrote: You couldn't, for example, say "8*(100+1/4) = 802".
Nice example. I wish you could use fractions and decimals. Sometimes with 4 larges I'm like 0.5 away which is so close. Would beat someone "just" 1 away.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Countdown rules? OK.

(DO YOU SEE WHAT I DID THAR?)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Michael Wallace wrote:Countdown rules? OK.
Funny, but not nearly as funny as your new status.

Ooh, my 666th post. Bet Damian would be jealous.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:Countdown rules? OK.

(DO YOU SEE WHAT I DID THAR?)
Larsen already did that joke, if you look further up. But his was more subtle.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Jon Corby wrote:Larsen already did that joke, if you look further up. But his was more subtle.
Cocks.

(OMG I'm going on about them *again*!!!)
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:
Yeah but we really need a photocopy of the official rules that get given to contestants before they appear. Maybe Neil, Kate, Kirk or someone who's been in this series can photocopy them and turn them into a pdf.
Great idea! :)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

Martin Gardner wrote:Interestingly, I used to think it was illegal to go over 1000 until I saw someone do it. I've even seen someone declare 1000 on a 999 game (was it against DOD?).
Yes, that was me. Unfortunately David did solve it. I always thought the 999 target was a bit spooky/dodgy, as Trudie Goodwin from The Bill was in dictionary corner.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Martin Smith wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:Interestingly, I used to think it was illegal to go over 1000 until I saw someone do it. I've even seen someone declare 1000 on a 999 game (was it against DOD?).
Yes, that was me. Unfortunately David did solve it. I always thought the 999 target was a bit spooky/dodgy, as Trudie Goodwin from The Bill was in dictionary corner.
Yeah, but how is Trudie connected to the Fire Brigade? 8-)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

You're talking about Hypercountdown!

Had it not been for Charlie and apterous.org, we would never have even heard of it!

I know what a success this forum has become!
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I've managed to find a pretty brief summary of the rules I was sent when I was a contestant - however I've scanned them and they're at my mum's house, so I won't have access to them until Friday. They're actually quite well written, using phrases like "often, usually, normally" to avoid the situation where they'd have to allow something like NAILERYS.