Three nines in a row

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
david dawson
Rookie

Three nines in a row

Post by david dawson »

I vaguely recall a female contestant about twenty years ago getting three consecutive nine letter words. Is my memory correct, did this really happen? At the moment it seems we're lucky to get one nine letter word a week.

Also, does anyone remember the Scottish lexicographer, possibly called Heather, who did triathlons in her spare time? Gyles Brandreth asked her for a kiss and she turned him down. What happened to her?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Three nines in a row

Post by Charlie Reams »

Unlikely, as three nines in any game was extremely rare in the nine round era, let alone 3 in a row, and the chance of someone actually getting all 3 even slimmer. Maybe you're thinking of Julie Wilkinson, who, in a game in Series 47, held a 36-0 lead after two rounds.
david dawson
Rookie

Post by david dawson »

That was probably it, thanks.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Jill Bright also went 36-0 after 2 rounds in one of her games, en route to a winning score of 81 (which was slightly spoiled by her opponent getting the conundrum).
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Nah you're thinking of the police 999 (three nines in a row)

Ahem I'll get my coat. :oops:
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

david dawson wrote:I vaguely recall a female contestant about twenty years ago getting three consecutive nine letter words. Is my memory correct, did this really happen? At the moment it seems we're lucky to get one nine letter word a week.

Also, does anyone remember the Scottish lexicographer, possibly called Heather, who did triathlons in her spare time? Gyles Brandreth asked her for a kiss and she turned him down. What happened to her?
Try this link, I can get Hannah and Hania, but not Heather.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
david dawson
Rookie

Post by david dawson »

Thanks. It was probably Hannah. Heather was taking the Scottish connection a bit too far.