The Missing link

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

JasonCullen
Devotee

The Missing link

Post by JasonCullen »

While I have a bit of spare time on my hands, I thought I would construct one of my notorious quizzes for the light entertainment of the Countdown forum members!

The aim of the game is straightforward. Simply, give me the word(s) which links four people/things on common grounds. Some links are easier to identify whereas others will require more unilateral thinking and some are not obvious and cryptic!

An example is:

Paris
London
Madrid
Reykjavik

Link - They are all European capital cities

Have fun and the provisional closing date will be on Friday 20th February so get cracking! There are no bonus points for creativity so be sensible :mrgreen: .

1. Paparazzi, Pokerface, LoveGame, Money Honey
2. Elizabeth Taylor, Ricky Gervais, Will Young, Kate Winslet
3. The Man in the Iron Mask, Blood Diamond, Revolutionary Road, Gangs of New York
4. Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison
5. Jeff Stelling, Charlie Nicholas, Phil Thompson and Matt Le Tissier
6. Exeter, Bury, Grimsby, Gillingham
7. July 1, Breast, Bowel and Jade Goody
8. Daniel Radcliffe, Taylor Swift, Jordin Sparks and Michelle Wie
9. Cebu, Quezon City, Davao and Tagbilaran
10. Fred Dibnah, Dave Spikey, Danny Jones and Jason Cullen
11. Matt Damon, Russell Brand, Lennox Lewis and Keira Knightley
12. Adder, Jack, Burn, Berry
13. Berlin, Los Angeles, Barcelona, London
14. Mollie, Rochelle, Frankie and Vanessa
15. Charlie Reams, Paul Gallen, Richard Priest and Mark Nyman (please don't state the obvious one)

No cheating or stealing other forumites answers! Those who did not wish to show their answers to the forum can PM me instead.

Only a few days left so get going people. You don't need to answer them all to play - a select few will do :)
Last edited by JasonCullen on Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Re: The Missing link

Post by Phil Reynolds »

I'm confused (again). The instructions say "give me the word which links four people/things on common grounds" (my italics), but the answer to your example is "They are all European capital cities", which is not a word. Are we looking for a one-word answer in each case or not?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Also, should we PM our answers to you? That seems much more sensible.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Charlie Reams wrote:Also, should we PM our answers to you? That seems much more sensible.
You can do that if you want :)
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Phil Reynolds wrote:I'm confused (again). The instructions say "give me the word which links four people/things on common grounds" (my italics), but the answer to your example is "They are all European capital cities", which is not a word. Are we looking for a one-word answer in each case or not?
Very well spotted Phil! It was supposed to say word(s) as some answers can be one word but most require a sentence. Hope things seem a little clearer now :D
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Are 6 and 7 correct? If I'm right with their link, there are mistakes! Then again, I could easily be wrong.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Ian Volante wrote:Are 6 and 7 correct? If I'm right with their link, there are mistakes! Then again, I could easily be wrong.
PM to me what you think the link is but they are completely contrasting
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Here are the answers to the Missing Link quiz. All participants have been PM'ed with their scores but a big congrats to Charlie Reams who scored a magnificent and unrivalled 14 out of 15 in this particular quiz. Thank you to all who took part :) .

Answers

1. Paparazzi, Pokerface, LoveGame, Money Honey - All from "The Fame" which is the name of Lady GaGa's album (fully recommend this to music virgins)
2. Elizabeth Taylor, Ricky Gervais, Will Young, Kate Winslet - All born and bred in Reading, Berkshire (the only one Charlie got incorrect! Know all :P ).
3. The Man in the Iron Mask, Blood Diamond, Revolutionary Road, Gangs of New York - Leonardo DiCaprio features in all of them (Revolutionary road was a bit of a flop though IMO)
4. Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison - All died at the tender age of 27
5. Jeff Stelling, Charlie Nicholas, Phil Thompson and Matt Le Tissier - The Gilette Soccer Saturday crew (a great watch)
6. Exeter, Bury, Grimsby, Gillingham - They all play in English football's League 2 division
7. July 1, Breast, Bowel and Jade Goody - All have links to cancer (no disrespect whatsoever to Jade Goody whom I have the deepest sympathy for)
8. Daniel Radcliffe, Taylor Swift, Jordin Sparks and Michelle Wie - All born in the year 1989 (All already filthy-rich despite their tender age! Taylor Swift apparently sold more copies of her album "Fearless" in two months than any other music artist in USA in 2008)
9. Cebu, Quezon City, Davao and Tagbilaran - Cities in the Philippines (I have visited all these cities during a family holiday. I advise holidaymakers steer clear of Davao!)
10. Fred Dibnah, Dave Spikey, Danny Jones and Jason Cullen - All born in brilliant Bolton (along with Peter Kay, Vernon Kay, Amir Khan...need I go on!)
11. Matt Damon, Russell Brand, Lennox Lewis and Keira Knightley - Notorious for being West Ham Utd supporters (another season of mediocrity for the Hammers faithful it would appear again)
12. Adder, Jack, Burn, Berry - supported by the prefix of "black"
13. Berlin, Los Angeles, Barcelona, London - All these cities have hosted the Olympic Games at some point in history
14. Mollie, Rochelle, Frankie and Vanessa - four names out of the five members of "The Saturdays" (by the way, digging their new music video for Comic Relief! Check it out fellas ;) )
15. Charlie Reams, Paul Gallen, Richard Priest and Mark Nyman - All losers in finals (but they are all winners to us!) :D
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Lol I knew 3. Well done Charlie.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I have to admit I had my whole office work on Question 2; four Cambridge PhD students between us couldn't get it. Embarrassing.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Looks like a good quiz Jason, as were your previous ones. Let's hope your next will not coincide with a holiday of mine.

BTW, I'd have got number 10 correct, even though I hadn't heard of two of the four people.