dress code

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: dress code

Post by Jon Corby »

David Williams wrote:My problem with Jon's humour is that he seems to simply exaggerate what he actually thinks
If this is "my humour" it will be easy for you to furnish me with lots of examples. Go!
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

I've been out. Anything going on?
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Chris Corby wrote:I've been out. Anything going on?
Yeah, I wathced Benjamin Button. It's a very good film, but I think the emphasis is in the wrong place. I'd like to have seen more about the frustrations of an old, wise man in a young man's body, and could probably do with about 20 minutes chopping off. Just falls short of greatness in my opinion.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I've been sexually harassing young girls, apparently.

I blame the parents.
Last edited by Jon Corby on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Jon Corby wrote:I've been sexually harrassing young girls, apparently.

I blame the parents.
That's it. You are getting a good thrashing tonight and don't say I didn't warn you..............

PS Gary: Is Benjamin Button based on a true story?
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Jon, I already have to employ staff to keep up with all the stuff here. One is working on "The Best of Jon Corby" as we speak, but we're some months away from publication.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Chris Corby wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:I've been sexually harrassing young girls, apparently.

I blame the parents.
That's it. You are getting a good thrashing tonight and don't say I didn't warn you..............

PS Gary: Is Benjamin Button based on a true story?
Yes. It's based on the mental age of 90% of the C4C forum users.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Chris Corby wrote:That's it. You are getting a good thrashing tonight
Image Image Image
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:
Chris Corby wrote:That's it. You are getting a good thrashing tonight
Image Image Image
Hahaha. Fucking brilliant. I was out last night at a mate's, just got back and I've never ever had more fun reading a C4C thread.
As I scrolled through it I thought of about three highly witty comments on the precedings, and then scrolled down a bit more to find they'd already been said :)
Absolutely excellent, looking forward to Roxanne's response. Just wish I'd been around to see Jon's original uncensored post, but then you don't have to know Corby too well to be able to fill the gaps.
Jim Treloar
Rookie

Post by Jim Treloar »

I don't wish to upset anyone but if Jon's original post was said in public he'd probably been arrested. Also on some of the mail groups I belong to such language would have got him expelled. In serious discussion I find it unnecessary. For all that I think Jon is an excellent Countdown player and my sympathy is with him regrrding his daughter - he was lucky, I had one with the same problem many many years ago in the early years of such surgery, BUT my daughter didn't survive. Good luck to him and his family.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jim Treloar wrote:my sympathy is with him regrrding his daughter - he was lucky
Thanks Jim, I am very aware that we were/are lucky, and obviously you have my sympathy for your loss - I genuinely can't imagine what that must be like for you, I never allowed myself to even consider that possibility. We got talking to another family whose son was there for exactly the same procedure, and they were entering their seventh month at the hospital after having just about every organ fail, being told he wouldn't make it through the night at least a couple of times. I did try to say something to this effect (about being lucky) at the start of my game against Richard Brittain, but I'm not sure it quite came out right.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Clare Sudbery wrote:I think it's horribly easy for men to forget how easily they can be scary and intimidating, particularly on the internet with the perceived threat of sexual predators.
I perceive you as a threat far greater than any sexual predator...you are killing this forum with shit like this.
Clare Sudbery wrote:Still, probably best if I bow out gracefully at this point.
Oh, please do!
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I'm tempted to comment but... nah.... f*ck it...
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jim Treloar wrote:I don't wish to upset anyone but if Jon's original post was said in public he'd probably been arrested.
Jim, you're kidding!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Clare Sudbery wrote:I think it's horribly easy for men to forget how easily they can be scary and intimidating, particularly on the internet with the perceived threat of sexual predators.
This is one of the most baffling statements I've seen in a while.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:
...though it could be argued that by being baffled you are proving Clare's point.

I'm remaining opinion-less on this for the very same reason; it's impossible, as a man, to definitively be able to say "no way, women don't see me as xxx".

So then, it comes down to reading a post in the light/humour it was intended... and once again we're back to talking about Corby and how differently his posts are perceived by those who get him, and those who don't.
Roxanne
Rookie

Post by Roxanne »

Yes, different people do have different opinions on what constitutes looking good and when it matters. You might really love Hawiian shirts, but you wouldn't wear one to a funeral (apart from Margaret Thatcher's perhaps); you might think there's nothing more wonderful than a leopard print bodystocking, but you wouldn't wear one to a job interview. If you turned up to a friend's wedding in a mankini, they probably wouldn't be your friend anymore.
Being on television is one of those occasions where you should make an effort, especially on a show where so much effort is put into the hosts' appearances. If you turn up looking like you just rolled out of your cardboard box, it sends the message that that's where you'd rather be, and it's a bit of a slap in the face to the team who work so hard to make the presenters look glamourous.
Clare Sudbery wrote: I think it's horribly easy for men to forget how easily they can be scary and intimidating, particularly on the internet with the perceived threat of sexual predators.
No one is scary on the internet. The only time I've actually been worried by someone was when I was trying to get rid of an old cooker by advertising it for free online. Someone said he would collect it, so of course I gave him the address, then it turned out that he thought I lived in the other Gillingham and decided that the journey wasn't worth it. After that, he sent me text messages saying "mmm your voice sounds so sweet" and "I'll come if you're up for some fun". That was creepy.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
...though it could be argued that by being baffled you are proving Clare's point.
Well first of all it's ridiculously sexist (to both sexes). Moreover no-one can 'get you' through your computer (and before anyone wades in with Paedogeddon, I mean that no-one's going to actually rape you through the Countdown forum).
Nicky
Rookie

Post by Nicky »

I think you're rather missing the point, Roxanne. I don't think any of the contestants haven't made an effort. I think they have put thought into how they wish to appear on the show, and what message they wish to send. But you are expecting everyone to conform to YOUR standards of what is acceptable/desirable on the show. Jon's jumper being a perfect example.

I never wear make-up when I go out. Here are 4 possible reasons for it:
1) I am a rampant feminist who believes make-up is demeaning to women, and any woman who wears make-up, is to some extent, prostituting herself.
2) I hate myself and don't think I deserve to look pretty.
3) I'm allergic to make up and would come out in an itchy red rash.
4) It never occured to me to do so.

You are assuming that it's answer number 4.

As for 'No one is scary on the internet'? Come on, seriously? Yet you were scared of some guy who had your address and phone number. I'd lay money on the fact that you and I, even without putting our surnames onto this site, could probably be tracked down by some of the computer geniuses on this site if they wanted to. Clare may have overstated it somewhat - but people (not just men) can be very intimidating online. It's the lack of body language and facial expression, making misunderstanding so very easy.

My other half has a phrase he trots out whenever I get pissed off over some stupid comment he's made. " If a bloke says something that can be taken two ways - he meant the nice one. But women always take it to mean the offensive one." It's often true - gender aside - on the internet.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Nicky wrote: 1) I am a rampant feminist who believes make-up is demeaning to women, and any woman who wears make-up, is to some extent, prostituting herself.
2) I hate myself and don't think I deserve to look pretty.
3) I'm allergic to make up and would come out in an itchy red rash.
4) It never occured to me to do so.
OK, being a mere male I can't be expected to understand these things, but isn't there an option
5) I don't actually need make-up, I look better without it?
Nicky
Rookie

Post by Nicky »

I'm sure there's LOTS of other possibilities. But yes, that one is ALSO true of me.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Nicky wrote:I'd lay money on the fact that you and I, even without putting our surnames onto this site, could probably be tracked down by some of the computer geniuses on this site if they wanted to.
Given Roxanne's age and avatar, with the addition of the third-hand account of her "mmm... sweet voice", I'm sure I'm not the only one who is now firmly on the case :twisted:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:
Nicky wrote:I'd lay money on the fact that you and I, even without putting our surnames onto this site, could probably be tracked down by some of the computer geniuses on this site if they wanted to.
Given Roxanne's age and avatar, with the addition of the third-hand account of her "mmm... sweet voice", I'm sure I'm not the only one who is now firmly on the case :twisted:
I'm now firm. Does that count?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Hmm, I doubt it. Only two people here can even see your IP address, and even that gives at best a very vague idea of where in the country you might live. I imagine even a private detective would want a little more to go on than "she's called Nicky and she lives in Leeds". That's considerably less information than is disclosed about you when you appear on Countdown, for example...
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote: This is one of the most baffling statements I've seen in a while.
Well first of all it's ridiculously sexist (to both sexes). Moreover no-one can 'get you' through your computer (and before anyone wades in with Paedogeddon, I mean that no-one's going to actually rape you through the Countdown forum).
Not unless they have a very long, thin penis. With an eye. A seeing eye that is. :shock:

As for the fear of people online, I can understand how obsessive/stalkerish behaviour towards people can become problematic and scary (I've seen it happen), but in general, the chances of having problems online appear to my mind almost certainly less than out in the real world.

This safety is enhanced if care is taken with passwords, personal details and the like, same as you wouldn't leave your wallet and keys lying around in a public place.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Roxanne wrote:Yes, different people do have different opinions on what constitutes looking good and when it matters. You might really love Hawiian shirts, but you wouldn't wear one to a funeral (apart from Margaret Thatcher's perhaps); you might think there's nothing more wonderful than a leopard print bodystocking, but you wouldn't wear one to a job interview. If you turned up to a friend's wedding in a mankini, they probably wouldn't be your friend anymore.
You're right, but these items of clothing and situations aren't in the same category as someone appearing on countdown in a shirt in a colour you don't like, or with an emblem you don't like... :|
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Charlie Reams wrote:Only two people here can even see your IP address, and even that gives at best a very vague idea of where in the country you might live.
I thought it depended on your ISP. A trace on my IP when I was with Virgin Media used to pretty much give away my postcode, but the service provider I'm with now has given me an IP address that gets traced to a town 100 miles way from me.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Jon Corby wrote:
Clare Sudbery wrote:Seriously. As far as I'm concerned, it's the online equivalent of you lowering your hand to your groin, bending over double and making a wanking gesture at someone, if we were having this conversation in a pub. Lewd, horrible, offensive.
It's a fucking emoticon you cabbage. It's the equivalent of going "phwoar" or somesuch. If I posted a tiny pixellated man disembowelling another, is that the equivalent of me getting up and barbarically murdering somebody, if we were having a conversation in a pub?
No. Any more than the emoticon was the equivalent of you actually wanking in the pub, which isn't what I said. It's the equivalent of you miming that action.
Jon Corby wrote:
Clare Sudbery wrote: Your response was out of proportion to her offense.
Jon Corby wrote:Nah, in fairness he did have a point. I hadn't realised that what I had written might be offensive to some, until he pointed it out.
And clearly you agree.
Oh sweet Jesus, could you be less perceptive?
OK, you don't agree your response was out of proportion to her offense, but you do agree that what you said could be construed as being offensive. That better?
Jon Corby wrote:
You left out "all men are potential rapists".
I didn't say that, and I don't think it. On the contrary, I think that's dangerous garbage which lets a minority of men off the hook. What I actually think is that most men are lovely human beings, but sometimes they do or say things without thinking about the consequences. Which is why it's worth pointing out the effects of what they do.

For fuck's sake Jon, you told the woman to stick her opinions up her mangey cunt, then you called her a whore, then you simulated wanking over her. Would you behave like this if you were face to face with someone? If so I'd hate to meet your friends. There's no way I'm going to apologise for standing up to such horrible behaviour, you can ridicule me all you like.

As to whether you can cause someone harm over the internet, a good friend of mine was stalked and harrassed for months by a nutter online, and they found out her phone number despite her having an anonymous persona. Thousands of abusive emails, threats of physical violence, etc etc. Everyone knows this stuff happens. People worry about it, whether rightly or wrongly. Most women won't ever be raped on the street, but that doesn't mean they don't worry when they have a man walking behind them late at night, and that's why a sensitive man will be aware of such concerns and hang back, cross the street, whatever. It's just about having a little thought for your fellow human beings.
Junaid Mubeen wrote:
Clare Sudbery wrote:
Clare Sudbery wrote:Still, probably best if I bow out gracefully at this point.
Oh, please do!
OK then. Goodbye.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Clare Sudbery wrote:No. Any more than the emoticon was the equivalent of you actually wanking in the pub, which isn't what I said. It's the equivalent of you miming that action.
Still utter rubbish. The fact that you can be offended, made to feel "deeply bloody uncomfortable" and even see "sexual harrassment" in a little crude basic animated gif is just laughable. Utterly, utterly pathetic. If you don't think I'd respond in a similar way to a post about a male forummer, you are very VERY mistaken. It's a joke.
Clare Sudbery wrote:OK, you don't agree your response was out of proportion to her offense, but you do agree that what you said could be construed as being offensive. That better?
No, not better in the slightest. OF COURSE THE FUCKING POST WAS OFFENSIVE. That was the point of it. Pretending that I hadn't realised it "might be construed as offensive" until someone pointed it out, that's a joke.
Clare Sudbery wrote:For fuck's sake Jon, you told the woman to stick her opinions up her mangey cunt, then you called her a whore, then you simulated wanking over her. Would you behave like this if you were face to face with someone?
No. But I'd happily write in an email/forum to a mate. It's different, innit? Maybe if you were able to distinguish between real life and the internet, you wouldn't get so uptight about little pixellated cartoon men masturbating?
Clare Sudbery wrote:As to whether you can cause someone harm over the internet, a good friend of mine was stalked and harrassed for months by a nutter online, and they found out her phone number despite her having an anonymous persona. Thousands of abusive emails, threats of physical violence, etc etc. Everyone knows this stuff happens. People worry about it, whether rightly or wrongly. Most women won't ever be raped on the street, but that doesn't mean they don't worry when they have a man walking behind them late at night, and that's why a sensitive man will be aware of such concerns and hang back, cross the street, whatever. It's just about having a little thought for your fellow human beings.
How have we even got onto this shit? Nobody has threatened anybody, or even vaguely hinted at that. Nobody has harrassed anyone. What in the fuck are you talking about? You perceived an attack on wimminkind when there wasn't one, and couldn't resist wading in with your ridiculous threatened minority bullshit.

Oh, and for the record, I didn't "simulate wanking over her", I posted a gif (which most people seemed to find funny).

Then I actually did crack one out thinking of her.

8-)
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon Corby wrote:Then I actually did crack one out thinking of her.

8-)
Corby for teh win!11!1!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

Ian Volante wrote:Read this, you bunch of easily-offended arse-munchers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/th ... 07060.html
Ian, you have offended me by calling me an arse-muncher! I have nothing further to say in this topic!

;)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

To get back on topic (hah! as if), I'm still stunned by Roxanne's diktat that younger male contestants on Countdown must wear short-sleeved shirts with no tie, while older ones must wear a long-sleeved shirt and a tie. Probably the most arrant drivel I've ever read on this board.
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

Okay, sorry, I said I'd go but I'm back- there's an image that sticks in my mind- I was on youtube browsing Countdown-related stuff and had the fortune to come across a video of Mikey Lear playing against Craig Beevers. Lear had a wonderful green t-shirt on with a fascinating neckerchief-thing. To some it might seem unfashionable or odd, but I must say I thought it worked well and suited him to a T! To be honest, I don't think there should be any style rules for Countdown- if it suits you, wear it! I don't know about everyone else, but I judge contestants by 7s and 8s, not shirts and ties.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

If we're staying on topic, I have just one thing to say: Graham Nash=god. Anyone who disagrees is wrong. Anyone who disagrees and attempts to explain their disagreeing is merely compounding their wrongness.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Hannah O wrote:

Ian, you have offended me by calling me an arse-muncher! I have nothing further to say in this topic!

;)
Damn right lady, yo!

Edit: wtf am I on about?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ian Volante wrote:This safety is enhanced if care is taken with passwords, personal details and the like, same as you wouldn't leave your wallet and keys lying around in a public place.
On this subject, I've always thought it strange when forums expect you to give out real information about yourselves (such as your real name). All the "advice" says don't do it and then you get forums saying you have to. Fair enough if you want to post this information about yourself, but I generally think forums should try and be liberal about such things.

As for the thread, I read the first post and thought "I disagree" but having read all the rest of it, that doesn't really matter now! Thanks for the entertainment!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:On this subject, I've always thought it strange when forums expect you to give out real information about yourselves (such as your real name). All the "advice" says don't do it and then you get forums saying you have to. Fair enough if you want to post this information about yourself, but I generally think forums should try and be liberal about such things.
The "advice" is mainly written by paranoids who have no idea how the Internet works. If I know your name is Dave Smith, so what? That's the same information you would routinely exchange with some random person for any purpose, and that person is in a much better position to hunt and kill you if they want to than anyone on this forum. Compare it to appearing on Countdown, which discloses your name, appearance, home town, vocation and often a lot more; yet no one has a problem with that. On the other hand, making people put their real names to their opinions discourages a lot of the stupidity associated with Internet forums. And there's a much greater sense of community associated with people's actual names than is possible to create with someone whose "name" is itchyteeth3.

Ultimately if people don't want to disclose their name, they can always just not join, it's not like this forum is some branch of government whose law must be obeyed. And I am willing to make exceptions where necessary, e.g. for you (because you're a weirdo) and for kids (because their parents don't understand the Internet even if they do.)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:The "advice" is mainly written by paranoids who have no idea how the Internet works. If I know your name is Dave Smith, so what? That's the same information you would routinely exchange with some random person for any purpose, and that person is in a much better position to hunt and kill you if they want to than anyone on this forum. Compare it to appearing on Countdown, which discloses your name, appearance, home town, vocation and often a lot more; yet no one has a problem with that. On the other hand, making people put their real names to their opinions discourages a lot of the stupidity associated with Internet forums. And there's a much greater sense of community associated with people's actual names than is possible to create with someone whose "name" is itchyteeth3.

Ultimately if people don't want to disclose their name, they can always just not join, it's not like this forum is some branch of government whose law must be obeyed. And I am willing to make exceptions where necessary, e.g. for you (because you're a weirdo) and for kids (because their parents don't understand the Internet even if they do.)
I take some of your points, but, for example, you sometimes also hear scare stories of employers Googling people's names and if they don't like what they find they don't employ them. And you might then say "Don't post crap then" but it's very subjective and a Jon Corby style poster could come unstuck that way. Not necessarily him but someone else with his sort of humour that's looking for a job. I don't know how much this actually happens in real life of course.

And I also think that sometimes it can make people less inclined to say what they think if it's controversial and it's their real name. I also think that when people go on about anonymous posters they often miss the point (I know you didn't mention it there but people do). I see a post as anonymous if its author can't be identified with any other posts he might have made. If you use a consistent name, then it doesn't fit my definition of anonymous even if it's not your "real" name. Would it really make any difference if I'd been posting under the name Dave Smith all this time? (How did you know?)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Oh, Jesus fucking Christ. Seriously.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

This must be the most active topic on the forum.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Kai Laddiman wrote:This must be the most active topic on the forum.
You is very wrong boy...

http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=516 for example.

Bestest thread evah though.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Maybe not the most active, but certainly one of the funniest to peruse!
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

This thread needs more Benjamin Button.

Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Ben Hunter wrote:This thread needs more Benjamin Button.

That's Brad Pitt....
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Ben Hunter wrote:This thread needs more Benjamin Button.

Yum.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Volante wrote:
You is very wrong boy...http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=516 for example.
You've got an odd definition of 'active' going on there Ian!
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

I have nothing to contribute to this baffling thread, other than:
Kate Richardson wrote:If it helps anyone my shirts are hand-tailored by James the personal tailor in manchester (I'm hoping for sponsorship). A little indulgence when you don't have kids
I found this helpful - thanks. I was going to adopt some baby goats, but I could really do with some new shirts instead.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
You is very wrong boy...http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=516 for example.
You've got an odd definition of 'active' going on there Ian!
Weeeellll, more comments, does that count?
Roxanne
Rookie

Post by Roxanne »

Gavin Chipper wrote: I take some of your points, but, for example, you sometimes also hear scare stories of employers Googling people's names and if they don't like what they find they don't employ them. And you might then say "Don't post crap then" but it's very subjective and a Jon Corby style poster could come unstuck that way. Not necessarily him but someone else with his sort of humour that's looking for a job. I don't know how much this actually happens in real life of course.
I've been told by someone who deals with university admissions that they do look on applicants' Myspace and Facebook profiles, so it does help if you have something in your about me saying how much you really want to go to university and how passionate you are about the subject. I don't think employers googling applicants is a bad thing at all because you can set up a website that is effectively an extended CV, which is especially useful for people who want to work in design or IT because they can really show off their skills.

One person I know acually got an interview when she emailed a company asking if they had an internship scheme, and the man who read it looked up her Facebook profile and liked the look of her. In the argument between him and the HR woman, my friend distincly overheard him saying "well you said the office needed a bit of decoration", so clearly it wasn't her "favourite books" section that had impressed him :roll:
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Roxanne wrote:they do look on applicants' Myspace and Facebook profiles, ... I don't think employers googling applicants is a bad thing at all
:? Yet another deserved reason why Rachel got her job, and I probably never even got a look in! :oops: :lol:
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Hannah O wrote:

;)
Gentlemen?
Kate Richardson
Rookie

Post by Kate Richardson »

hmm
i'll try this post again
i wore hand tailored shirts from james the personal tailor in manchester (I'm hoping for peronal sponsorship) on weds 11/12/13th feb
something that was censored was i wore the shirt i was civilly partnered in on friday...and i won ....just...think on what you're doing to clare these comments might just come and bite you in the arse or maybe not but still think on, how much longer can countdown survive at 3.25pm with a dynamic sports presenter at it's head ? or is it doomed ?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Kate Richardson wrote:hmm
i'll try this post again
i wore hand tailored shirts from james the personal tailor in manchester (I'm hoping for peronal sponsorship) on weds 11/12/13th feb
something that was censored was i wore the shirt i was civilly partnered in on friday...and i won ....just...think on what you're doing to clare these comments might just come and bite you in the arse or maybe not but still think on, how much longer can countdown survive at 3.25pm with a dynamic sports presenter at it's head ? or is it doomed ?
I have absolutely no fucking idea what you're talking about.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
i'll try this post again
Glad I'm not the only one.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Jon Corby wrote:
Clare Sudbery wrote:Seriously. As far as I'm concerned, it's the online equivalent of you lowering your hand to your groin, bending over double and making a wanking gesture at someone, if we were having this conversation in a pub. Lewd, horrible, offensive.
It's a fucking emoticon you cabbage. It's the equivalent of going "phwoar" or somesuch. If I posted a tiny pixellated man disembowelling another, is that the equivalent of me getting up and barbarically murdering somebody, if we were having a conversation in a pub?
I agree.
The pub and the internet are completely different environments if you haven't noticed, Clare. I'm part of an online community where references to things such as incest, necophillia and other horrendous things are regularly made between people (Im not some sort of freak. This forum is merely a forum for an online game). I personally do not condone this, but having seen so much of it has made me come to realize that people can behave completely differently on the internet as hey do in real life. Saying something like "I raped your mum" on the internet is a quite offensive and inapropriate remark, but it by no means makes you any way near as bad as a rapist.

As for those of you who were offended by John's use of a couple is emoticons, well, i just find that ridiculous. I've only looked at this website about 5 or 6 times, but its obvious to me that John was making a harmless joke when he posted that.

And FYI 18>16 last time I checked.

I wonder if the girl who made this topic is going to visit this forum again?

Im planning to show up in a gorilla suit if i ever get on the show.

Sorry for all spelling and grammer errors. Im a crap typist.
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:
i'll try this post again
Glad I'm not the only one.
This post alone must be worth 0.8 MegaLarsens?
Nicky
Rookie

Post by Nicky »

JackHurst wrote: Saying something like "I raped your mum" on the internet is a quite offensive and inapropriate remark, but it by no means makes you any way near as bad as a rapist.
True. But irrelevant. Clare was offended by the 'offensive and inappropriate remark' part. She compared the remarks to a wanking hand gesture - something which would offend her in a pub. Not to Jon physically wanking over Roxanne in a pub - something which would get him arrested.

I actually agree with her simile. The difference is, I don't find the wanking hand gesture offensive. I'll probably be using it myself if I ever meet Jon in a pub ;) . Plus it's not like Roxanne wasn't offensive to several people, including Jon, in her initial post.
tonywarren
Rookie

Post by tonywarren »

David Williams wrote:Well, Tony, still happy with your part in this saga?
Absolutely.
If you don't like people getting offensive then do go out of your way to offend them! :evil:
Who says Morris dancing ain't cool...
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

Post by Chris Philpot »

I'm not sure that it's entirely safe striding into this thread, but nonetheless...!
Roxanne wrote:For men, it's quite simple; for younger men just a casual or plain short sleeved shirt with no tie is fine
Were I to have the chance to appear on the show again, I'd be very tempted to wear a long-sleeved shirt and novelty tie. Thoughts?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Chris Philpot wrote:
Roxanne wrote:For men, it's quite simple; for younger men just a casual or plain short sleeved shirt with no tie is fine
Were I to have the chance to appear on the show again, I'd be very tempted to wear a long-sleeved shirt and novelty tie. Thoughts?
Don't. I've been mulling this over and I think Roxanne may be on to something. Consider the following data from my own game show experiences:
  • Three Little Words
    • What I wore: Long-sleeved shirt
    • How much I won: £0
  • Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?
  • BrainTeaser
  • Weakest Link
    • What I wore: Short-sleeved shirt
    • How much I won: £3,930
Pretty compelling evidence, I think you'll agree.