Z-Factor

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Tom
Acolyte

Z-Factor

Post by Tom »

Hi guys just hoping for a bit of input from you and wondering exactly what happened to Zef and if anyone knows of his doings or whereabouts these days. All I know is that his apparent true identity got revealed. Has anyone on here actually met him in the flesh?? and surely he is banned from here???

In the days of the Channel 4 forum many moons ago he used to rule the roost (thetimes where people could post under any name). Though perhaps people were a bit harsh on him at times, a lot of the time he did ask for it and I'll admit myself I did post a couple of fake DC-beaters under his name for a laugh.

If this is of any interest to you Zef once accidentally sent an incredibly long e-mail to me that was supposed to be sent to Mike Brown and then I got another e-mail from Zef asking me to delete that e-mail to MB without reading it and in the one addressed to me (intentionally) it said he was seriously considering to go on the show. Meanwhile, in the one to MB, I feared the worst when I read it because it was all about me and apparently Zefmeister beat me in all my heat games saying how good he was and it said that I could have potentially won my series as Zef would not be appearing in the last 8 of my series.

Well, I'd better stop there, lets hope Zef isn't reading because I might get another incredibly long e-mail sent to my account :lol:
Probably the second tallest ever series finalist.
Kirk Bevins
God

Re: Z-Factor

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Tom wrote:Hi guys just hoping for a bit of input from you and wondering exactly what happened to Zef and if anyone knows of his doings or whereabouts these days. All I know is that his apparent true identity got revealed. Has anyone on here actually met him in the flesh?? and surely he is banned from here???
I've met him, at Richard Whiteley's memorial service.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

You'll be alright Tom, you won't get a letter from Zef, more likely his lawyer.

I think a little timeline is needed...

2000-2001 Zef joins the old talk4 forum as another anonymous person. During autumn 2001 he sets up the daily summary site, which does a good job of recapping series 45- although the format is somewhat primitive and, well, crap compared to that used on the wiki and cdb (think a different colour coding for every possibility and spoiler space between every round). Zef goes into semi-retirement from the site after series 45. (Though this later turned into permanent retirement.)

2002 Gevincountdown is set up, Zef is amongst the first migrants.

2004. Gevincountdown goes tits up and c4countdown (the old one) is set up by me, Stewart and Gary Male. Here's where things get interesting.

July 2004- Zef joins c4c. Bear in mind the three of us (me, SH and GM) enforced the same 'real name' policy as we do here on the new c4c. We decide to allow Zef's posts on a post-by-post basis. For the most part, he contributes decent stuff in a sensible manner.

August 2004- JOLT is announced by Julian. Zef signs up, having played online games in the meantime. However, there had been a question as to the 'authenticity' of some of his scores. As these were the days before the automatic cheat detector, we had no way of verifying these claims (there have been several claims since, some upheld, and some quite epically proven untrue). Stewart Holden email Julian to advise that there have been questions regarding Zef's cheatiness, and Julian responds by barring Zef from JOLT.

September 2004- First of several emails from Zef to Stewart in which Zef threatens legal action over the JOLT incident. I kid ye not. Zef goes incommunicado for several months, until...

January 2005- Zef resurfaces on c4c around the time of COLT 1 and his Xmas shield/plate/whatever (which finished around February), resumes normal behaviour. However...

February 2005- Zefgate on uk-scrabble. Read it all- it gives you a good idea of the unstable mindset of the man. Just one week later his real identity was revealed to me- he is none other than Paul (Tranmere) Thomson, a Scrabble player from (Tranmere). Zef also begins his campaign against Mr. Holden on c4c, resulting in some chastising from myself and Mr. Reams (the new moderator).

March 2005- Countdown Online mailing list founded. 'If you do not post your recap here you will be removed from the thing that is life' etc. It's no wonder he needs to wear ear defenders with a colour scheme like that. This month he also began a scathing attack on the (as it was then known) Countdown Corral, pointing out how Soo had somehow made several critical errors in a recap that was written by, erm, Zef. He also calls the Corral something akin to a 'cheap knock-off' of his site.

May 2005- Zef offers (in a rather threatening way) to become a moderator of c4c. Answer: no.

Sometime in 2005- I (incorrectly) suggest off-hand that Zef had been banned multiple times from c4c, resulting in my becoming public enemy #1 and resulting in two strongly-worded emails, one to c4countdown and one to gevincountdown with the message at the bottom saying 'if this email doesn't appear intact and in full on c4countdown it proves the moderators are all Hitler wannabes'.

September 2005- Zef tries to have Stewart Holden barred from attending Richard Whiteley's memorial service. No, really.

October 2005- c4c's infamous 'pollgate' during which Gary Male is added to the list, thereby completing his alienation of every single authority figure of c4c. There was an original poll featuring four choices for the new host, Zef posted one with about 16 different ways to choose between four hosts (1st choice X, 2nd choice Y etc.). Gary edited in a choice saying 'oh great, another poll repeating one we've only just had'. Zeffy was not amused. Zef claims his posts are being refused because we disrespect him. Well, yes, that and he was a total sociopath. Or, in Reams's words- 'The reason that your posts have to be individually moderated is that you have a history of posting meandering off-topic crap.'

November 2005- Zef attends RW's memorial service and sits down to dinner with me, Stewart, Kirk and a few others. No harsh words are said to anyone's face. Except after he's left, if only to see the look on Dave Coulthurst's face- :o

August 2006- Zef's last non-psychotic post to c4c, repeated here in full-

Zef sez:

"Zefcountdown" = Zef's COUNTDOWN SUMMARIES WEBSITE

http://www.geocities.com/zefcountdown/f ... ies45.html

For Countdown Series 45 (July to September 2001), the "zefcountdown"
website has webpages which give round-by-round coverage of each of
the following episodes:-

3043 45/01/1 Mo 02/07/01 P001 John Rawnsley vs Leonard Lavelle
3044 45/01/2 Tu 03/07/01 P002 John Rawnsley vs Michael Galgut
3045 45/01/3 We 04/07/01 P003 John Rawnsley vs Mary Hains

3050 45/03/1 Mo 16/07/01 P008 Rita Bean vs Ian Pitkin

3067 45/09/2 Tu 28/08/01 P025 Craig Richardson vs May Thomson
3068 45/09/2 We 29/08/01 P026 Craig Richardson vs Neil Greenall
3069 45/09/2 Th 30/08/01 P027 Neil Greenall vs Jim Hankin
3070 45/09/2 Fr 31/08/01 P028 Jim Hankin vs Beverley Calder
3071 45/10/1 Mo 03/09/01 P029 Jim Hankin vs Jeff Evans
3072 45/10/2 Tu 04/09/01 P030 Jim Hankin vs David Dorward
3073 45/10/3 We 05/09/01 P031 David Dorward vs Mary Blair
3074 45/10/4 Th 06/09/01 P032 Mary Blair vs Ian Robinson

3076 45/11/1 Mo 10/09/01 P034 Mac MacDonald vs Geraldine Hylands
3077 45/11/2 Tu 11/09/01 P035 Geraldine Hylands vs Geoff Clarke
3078 45/11/3 We 12/09/01 P036 Geraldine Hylands vs Billy Armstrong
3079 45/11/4 Th 13/09/01 P037 Geraldine Hylands vs Charlie Neill

3083 45/12/3 We 19/09/01 SF-1 John Rawnsley vs Phil Bennett
3084 45/12/4 Th 20/09/01 SF-2 Geraldine Hylands vs Craig Richardson

Rather than writing fresh summaries/recaps for these Countdown shows,
thus duplicating the coverage provided in some IMO well presented &
very user friendly webpages? I'd suggest that first priority should
be given instead to writing summaries/recaps for the other 2000 or so
Countdown shows for which *no* round-by-round coverage currently
exists.[/zef]

Note how he believes the pages to be well-presented and user-friendly when all evidence clearly points to the contrary.

Finally, a link- http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/gevincountdown/ Gevincountdown, where Zef still to this day posts, his stubborn refusal to relent and join c4c now bordering on the pathetic. Many of his vitriolic rants are still preserved on there for your amusement. And yes, it is worth noting that Gevin himself has become a valued member of c4c whilst Zef is still a lunatic.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

An interesting read!
SO had Zef appeared on the show before all this?
The only reason I ask is that he was attending RW's memorial service with other named past contestants - or was the memorial service pretty much an open invitation to anyone?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

And in fairness, that's a pretty flattering biography. I think posting the text of any of his many private emails to me (complete with apparently random use of capitals, asterisks and whitespace) would be enough to convince anyone that he's basically a nutcase.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I remember I added him to my MSN, and he was very frustrated and "got a lot of things off his chest" to me as it were. But because he talked a heck of a lot and he didn't really seem to want any input for me, I just used to minimise the window and let him get on with it, and he didn't even notice I wasn't there! I could like answer the phone, have a 30 minutes conversation, and when I got back he still hadn't noticed that I wasn't replying.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Charlie Reams wrote:And in fairness, that's a pretty flattering biography. I think posting the text of any of his many private emails to me (complete with apparently random use of capitals, asterisks and whitespace) would be enough to convince anyone that he's basically a nutcase.
Yeah I got a really long email from him once - not quite the size of that legendary Mike Brown one, but yeah.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Oh yeah, all the stuff about "Otherwise, I may hit them with a compensation claim that could ultimately lead to them having to pay TWO telephone numbers sized legal bills ... mine & their own."

He pissed me off so much that I left the online scene for a while. I'd got so sick of reading that cunt's writings, having to moderate it all.

Er, sorry Kai.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Gary Male wrote:Oh yeah, all the stuff about "Otherwise, I may hit them with a compensation claim that could ultimately lead to them having to pay TWO telephone numbers sized legal bills ... mine & their own."

He pissed me off so much that I left the online scene for a while. I'd got so sick of reading that cunt's writings, having to moderate it all.

Er, sorry Kai.
Kai's 12, he probably knows more swear words than the rest of us put together. LOL.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Gary Male wrote:Oh yeah, all the stuff about "Otherwise, I may hit them with a compensation claim that could ultimately lead to them having to pay TWO telephone numbers sized legal bills ... mine & their own."

Er, sorry Kai.
Kai's 12, he probably knows more swear words than the rest of us put together. LOL.
That sounds like a challenge to me, and gives me a really bad idea...