Goody bag

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Matt Coates
Acolyte

Goody bag

Post by Matt Coates »

hi everyone, I am going on the show next week and i was just wondering what is in the goody bag i receive after the show, also does anybody know how hot/cool the studios are, im not sure what to wear, a shirt or jumper, cheers everyone
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Goody bag

Post by Charlie Reams »

I'm pretty sure most people wear a shirt, it's quite hot under studio lights. Watch the show this week and see what they're wearing.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I wore a t-shirt with an undone shirt over the top, which was fine - if you feel the cold especially then obviously wear a little more, but it's a bit of a personal thing

as for the goody bag, well there are people on the forums who can give you a more up-to-date list (I was on series 55), but I got:

A NODE
The Countdown Board Game
The Countdown DVD Game
A Countdown clock (which never really worked :()
The Language Report (for whichever year - a Susie Dent book)
A Countdown Mug

I *think* that's it - obviously you get a teapot if you don't suck. Be wary of the NODE, though, I was lucky in that my dad came to my recording so he could take it home for me, wouldn't've liked to try and take that home with me on the train!
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Hi Matt. Good luck for your appearance on the show, I look forward to seeing it. It's not really hot under the lights but I would agree with Charlie that you should definitely wear something light. Also, think about wearing something to which a mic can easily be attached.

PS The goody bag contains a veritable cacophony of treats from the far reaches of the world, including: 14 Nubian slaves who will attend to your every whim; a magic carpet to cope with those tedious situations when waiting for that mode of public transport is just a drag; a leprechaun (for the Irish contestants) who can pull the perfect pint of stout, that is, correct pouring angle, allowed time to settle and Bishop's collar; as well as a host of other trinkets to make you the bling-iest gangsta on your estate.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

David O'Donnell wrote:PS The goody bag contains a veritable cacophony of treats from the far reaches of the world, including: 14 Nubian slaves who will attend to your every whim; a magic carpet to cope with those tedious situations when waiting for that mode of public transport is just a drag; a leprechaun (for the Irish contestants) who can pull the perfect pint of stout, that is, correct pouring angle, allowed time to settle and Bishop's collar; as well as a host of other trinkets to make you the bling-iest gangsta on your estate.
Although I suspect you only get that goody bag if you're an octochamp
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

I was absolutely frozen in my CofC match against Jack, although that could easily have been the combined effect of nerves and a hangover (not the ideal preparation I know :) ). In general though, the studio is pretty comfortable so you'd be fine with a shirt/t-shirt.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:as for the goody bag, well there are people on the forums who can give you a more up-to-date list (I was on series 55), but I got:

A NODE
The Countdown Board Game
The Countdown DVD Game
A Countdown clock (which never really worked :()
The Language Report (for whichever year - a Susie Dent book)
A Countdown Mug
Interesting, in 54 we didn't get the DVD game, we got the portable electronic game, but we also got a very nice embroidered Countdown polo shirt. Unfortunately I've worn mine so much that all the material has bobbled - any chance you could send me another one please Damian? :D
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

oh, I completely forgot about the t-shirt - possibly because I've never been sufficiently confident in my own natural coolness to think I can get away with wearing it

(well, that's not entirely true - I wore it when my friends and I had a 'let's watch Raccoon lose at countdown' party, for the sake of irony, only to discover a little too late that I would not be able to dash home to change before we went to the pub)
M. George Quinn
Acolyte

Post by M. George Quinn »

I suck so I haven't got a teapot.

The best thing in the goody bag is the countdown sound-maker from the game. Go into shops, ask people awkward questions and set it off while waiting for them to answer (clockesque arm movements optional).
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, Matt!

Good luck on the show. I'll be watching you in two weeks.

Anyway, I think the goody bag has a lot of things in it. I'm almost positive you will get a book that Susie Dent wrote.
Matt Coates
Acolyte

Post by Matt Coates »

thanks everyone, going upto leeds tomorrow, really looking forward to it. should be on on april 4th, and hopefully a few more shows after that.

i asked them if you get a dvd or video, but was unable to, so i will have to ask a few mates if they can do it. 8-)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Most importantly, enjoy your time at the studios Matt- it really is something you'll never forget no matter how many you win. Say hi to Carol for me! ;)
Matt Coates
Acolyte

Post by Matt Coates »

will do, although ive got to say hi to her for about 50 people and 36 of them want her phone number
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Good luck Matt!!

and remember - NO spoilers on here please mate!
M. George Quinn
Acolyte

Post by M. George Quinn »

Too late. I like to guess the names of the contestants before the show starts. This has been totally ruined for me now.

George
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

M. George Quinn wrote:Too late. I like to guess the names of the contestants before the show starts. This has been totally ruined for me now.

George
You never know - some pricks don't use their proper names on the show, he might be one of them :)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

You're very welcome, Matt!

And Ben, Carol must feel like a very good friend of yours.