What happens if Carol retires?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

What happens if Carol retires?

Post by Michael Wallace »

Probably a discussion that's been done to death before, so sorry if so, but I do wonder what would happen should Carol eventually decide that consolidating her loans into one simple monthly repayment is a better career move than countdown. Is there a deputy Carol being groomed as we speak?

Personally I'd love the job, and like to think I have the hair for it - perhaps they should have an X Factor style televised selection process, or have auditionees get a week at a time.

I'm going to stop talking now because it's beginning to sound like a) I've put too much thought into this, and ii) I'm actually being serious with my suggestions

(well, I'm serious about me having the hair for it bit)
Matthew Green
Devotee

Re: What happens if Carol retires?

Post by Matthew Green »

They should have some pretty unkown 17 yr old girl, wired up to Jon O'Neill getting the answers
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Matthew Green wrote:They should have some pretty unkown 17 yr old girl, wired up to Jon O'Neill getting the answers

Fancy being wired up to Jon O'Neill. I'd rather be wired up to an electricity pylon wearing a tin-foil suit while taking a Morphy Richards foot spa, simultaneously serenading Chris Wills with extracts of 'Moves From The Romantic Era'.
:o
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matthew Green wrote:They should have some pretty unkown 17 yr old girl, wired up to Jon O'Neill getting the answers
I hope I'm not the only one who's now imagining Conor in a wig...
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace wrote:I hope I'm not the only one who's now imagining Conor in a wig...
I really hope you are.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

we'll not go into what he's wearing then
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

I'm not 17.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

way to ruin my dreams, Conor
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

Damian E wrote...

"Fancy being wired up to Jon O'Neill. I'd rather be wired up to an electricity pylon wearing a tin-foil suit while taking a Morphy Richards foot spa, simultaneously serenading Chris Wills with extracts of 'Moves From The Romantic Era'."

Is a DVD available of this?

Kevin
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Is a DVD available of this?
Come now Kevin, you're into chemistry, so we all know you're still trapped in the 1980's with a VHS player :mrgreen: .
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Doesnt Conor have long hair anyway? And does anyone else think 'lickle liam' out of shameless is starting to look like Conor?
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

Matthew Green wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
Doesnt Conor have long hair anyway? And does anyone else think 'lickle liam' out of shameless is starting to look like Conor?
No, not at all. Liam's a rubbish character anyway, just listen to him and it's blatantly obvious that he did not grow up on a council estate in Manchester.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

He wouldnt have made it as an actor if he did.

I have the dubious honour of working in Gorton about 200m from where the show is filmed, not a nice area...
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Michael Wallace wrote:Probably a discussion that's been done to death before, so sorry if so, but I do wonder what would happen should Carol eventually decide that consolidating her loans into one simple monthly repayment is a better career move than countdown. Is there a deputy Carol being groomed as we speak?
I don't think Carol would never stop co-hosting Countdown. If she did then it wouldn't be the same.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Joseph Bolas wrote:I don't think Carol would never stop co-hosting Countdown. If she did then it wouldn't be the same.
So what you're saying is that if she did retire they'd have to create some Vordermann cyborg to carry on in her place? Interesting..
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:I don't think Carol would never stop co-hosting Countdown. If she did then it wouldn't be the same.
So what you're saying is that if she did retire they'd have to create some Vordermann cyborg to carry on in her place? Interesting..
Nope lol, because I believe if Carol retired from Countdown, then in my opinion, it should be the end of Countdown.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Joseph Bolas wrote:Nope lol, because I believe if Carol retired from Countdown, then in my opinion, it should be the end of Countdown.
That's utterly mental.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

After all these years it wouldn`t be too easy to get used to any changes.
But surely there are people in the world (or in this country even) who have a little charisma, and who
are smart at doing sums.
There is absolutely no reason why Countdown should end if any of the `regulars` left the show.
The host, the dictionary expert, and the mathematician/foil can be either sex. Tradition can be broken in this case.
I can`t imagine "I`m sorry I haven`t a Clue" without Humphrey Littleton, but I can imagine replacements for any of the Countdown regulars.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

To me, the original hosts make a game show a classic. It's nice when someone can take over the gameshow when the regular hosts pass on/retire etc, but the game show will never be the same again.

There have been many gests in DC, so I suppose some of the regulars there could take over as the viewers are already used to seeing them on Countdown.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Joseph Bolas wrote:To me, the original hosts make a game show a classic. It's nice when someone can take over the gameshow when the regular hosts pass on/retire etc, but the game show will never be the same again.

There have been many gests in DC, so I suppose some of the regulars there could take over as the viewers are already used to seeing them on Countdown.
What makes Countdown a "classic" is the format. You should know that, Joseph, as someone who attends CO- events wherein one replicates the game without the need of the official hosts.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I don't think Carol will retire from Countdown anytime soon.

She has had a lot of plastic surgery, she's been there from the very beginning and she's had the pleasure of enjoying the likes of Richard Whiteley, Des Lynam and Des O'.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Jason Larsen wrote: She has had a lot of plastic surgery'.
Has she had her breasts done? I find I am staring at them for long periods of time and I drift in and out of a libido induced trance-like state.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I don't know what Botox is, but as long as she maintains that "everyperson" persona and is loved by everyone, that's all that matters.
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Post by Jennifer Turner »

Jason Larsen wrote:I don't know what Botox is, but as long as she maintains that "everyperson" persona and is loved by everyone, that's all that matters.
Clearly not all that matters, or she'd have been gone a long time ago.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

You're not a Carol fan, are you?
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Post by Jennifer Turner »

Jason Larsen wrote:You're not a Carol fan, are you?
Does it show? ;)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Honestly, I don't think I know you that well.