January's Daily Duels

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Ross Allatt
Rookie

Re: January's Daily Duels

Post by Ross Allatt »

The letters rounds in today's daily duel (Sun 18th) are three consonants/six vowels. Is that not outwith the rules of Countdown? I thought the max vowels per round was five (and the max consonants six).
I have nothing to declare except my Guinness.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ross Allatt wrote:The letters rounds in today's daily duel (Sun 18th) are three consonants/six vowels. Is that not outwith the rules of Countdown? I thought the max vowels per round was five (and the max consonants six).
Indeed it is outside the rules, but then the duels are often there to provide something different.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Oh dear!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I don't know why people always complain about this when it comes up, but no one ever complains about different round lengths / number of letters / weird formats.
Ross Allatt
Rookie

Post by Ross Allatt »

Charlie Reams wrote:I don't know why people always complain about this when it comes up, but no one ever complains about different round lengths / number of letters / weird formats.
Sorry :oops: won't happen again
I have nothing to declare except my Guinness.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Charlie Reams wrote:I don't know why people always complain about this when it comes up, but no one ever complains about different round lengths / number of letters / weird formats.
I was always moaning about speed rounds/weird formats till you told me off! :lol:
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ross Allatt wrote:
Sorry :oops: won't happen again
It's not that I mind, as I ignore all the complaints about duels anyway, I just don't know why people find this alteration particularly egregious.
Julie T wrote:
I was always moaning about speed rounds/weird formats till you told me off! :lol:
You weren't complaining that it broke the rules, just that you sucked at it.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Noooooo, I missed goatdown :cry:
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Charlie Reams wrote:You weren't complaining that it broke the rules, just that you sucked at it.
Ah, didn't realise you meant rules problems. I'm not the only one who prefers standard games.

I still think it's be a good idea to have one standard rules daily duel and one weird rules/speed daily duel to give players the option to do one type or both.
I expect it takes up a fair amount of time and computer space to do one though.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I am annoyed about yesterday's duel. In the 128 round, while entering 127, I found 128! Would have put me joint top! :x
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

What I would like is for your score to be averaged so that people that have for some reason played less duels have a better chance. :)
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I came joint top yesterday! And I missed a load of sevens in the second round which most people scored in so I could have won outright! I don't think I've had a better chance since the very first one I played in - http://apterous.org/duelresults.php?duel=80
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I came joint top yesterday! And I missed a load of sevens in the second round which most people scored in so I could have won outright! I don't think I've had a better chance since the very first one I played in - http://apterous.org/duelresults.php?duel=80
Sounds like the Joseph Bolas school of logic, "If I was better I would've won". I mistyped a round though, so it doesn't apply to me when I say I definitely won.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I came joint top yesterday! And I missed a load of sevens in the second round which most people scored in so I could have won outright! I don't think I've had a better chance since the very first one I played in - http://apterous.org/duelresults.php?duel=80
Sounds like the Joseph Bolas school of logic, "If I was better I would've won". I mistyped a round though, so it doesn't apply to me when I say I definitely won.
When you do as badly as me, you have to take every opportunity you can to say you nearly won.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
I mis-entered my 2nd numbers solution (which mostly pissed me off because I was quite proud of it), and looking at the results for the month that means I can claim an additional, er, zero places (although clearly I rock - highest placing player with 8 entries - I hear only entering at the weekend makes it easy to get a 'good' average score).