Where were you?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Harry Whitehouse
Rookie

Where were you?

Post by Harry Whitehouse »

Years ago, it was often suggested that people of my generation would always remember where they were when they heard of John F. Kennedy's assassination.

In the late 70s, trivial as it might be in comparison, it was said you would always remember where you were when you first read The Lord Of The Rings.

I suppose the obvious candidate for this decade is the attack on the World Trade Center, but for the present, I can't think of events that were actually put forward as shared, life-affecting experiences or moments in the intervening years.

Any thoughts?
My home is on the south side,
High up on a ridge,
Just a half a mile from
The Scarborough Valley bridge.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: Where were you?

Post by Jon O'Neill »

When the high court revealed that Mohamed Fayed was right all along?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

When they built the ladder to heaven
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

When I arse-rape Corby in an online game.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

dinos_the_chemist wrote:When they built the ladder to heaven
lol, love that episode :D
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

harry wrote:In the late 70s, trivial as it might be in comparison, it was said you would always remember where you were when you first read The Lord Of The Rings.
Rather than being trivial, isn't this just a bizarre comparison? It's hardly a "moment in time" thing like hearing about JFK's assassination. Unless you're a quick reader, I guess.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Seriously, if you are looking for a moment in time for today's generation I think the 11-9 terrorist attack fits the bill. I can remember where I was. At the time I worked in a bank in Belfast and I was on my lunch break. I saw the second plane crash into the South tower of the World Trade centre on a television screen through a window in Curry's.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I can easily remember where I was when the tragic events of September 11 happened. I bet that's no surprise to any of you because I am an American.

I was in school going on about my merry way when all of a sudden the school principal, (who, by the way, all of the students hated,) paged on the intercom that an airplane had crashed into one tower of the World Trade Center, and it only got worse from there.

At least they're building the Freedom Tower, which will take years to build but it will be well worth the money.

Yes, a lot of us have witnessed what we call "history" now, and it's just that it's a part of life. Life can be very unpredictable.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jason Larsen wrote:I can easily remember where I was when the tragic events of September 11 happened. I bet that's no surprise to any of you because I am an American.
This was post number 119 for Jason. Coincidence? I think not.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

You're kidding.

Things like that happen, and we should be so glad that we made it through.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jason Larsen wrote:Things like that happen, and we should be so glad that we made it through.
Oh come on, don't be so dramatic, it's just a post on a forum. Sheesh.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I understand.

Do you know how happy I am to be in this world, though?
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

I was in a holiday cottage in Castle Douglas (I think) watching it on TV. I remember thinking if I was in that building I'd be getting the hell out, meanwhile the people on the news kept giving the impression that the tower(s) wouldn't collapse.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

What event are we talking about here?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Craig Beevers wrote:I remember thinking if I was in that building I'd be getting the hell out, meanwhile the people on the news kept giving the impression that the tower(s) wouldn't collapse.
Jason Larsen wrote:What event are we talking about here?
Good question. Sounds like Lord of the Rings to me.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

We're talking about two different events here, that's why.

I'm confused.
Harry Whitehouse
Rookie

Post by Harry Whitehouse »

The two examples I gave worked for me, because I really could remember where I was.\

Both of those examples were very commonly quoted in their respective eras.

I was out walking with three friends, listening to my little transistor radio, when we heard that JFK had been assassinated. That was the height of the cold war, and for a good few hours, there was an unspoken fear that the missiles were going to start flying.

As for Lord of the Rings, I was in my mid-20s and ill at home with bronchitis. I started reading it more slowly, so that I could postpone getting to the end.

What about the assassination of John Lennon in 1980? I've no idea where I was, but it might work for some people.

The first moon landing in 1969?

Kenneth Tynan saying f*** on television for the first time? I do remember that.
My home is on the south side,
High up on a ridge,
Just a half a mile from
The Scarborough Valley bridge.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

JF Who?
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Probably the events that stick in my mind most, prior to the JFK assassination, were the death of King George VI and the Manchester United plane crash.

The King died at the time of my 11+ exam, and I can still remember the look on my headmistress's face when she told us the news shortly after we'd completed the first day's paper. She was very reluctant to tell us what had happened. At first she simply said we must all go home quickly as there's been some terrible news. Then before we left, she changed her mind and told us about his death. I remember being relieved that that's all it was; all I'd been able to imagine was that the "terrible news" was that we were at war again.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Jason Larsen wrote:I understand.

I'll bring this topic back round. :D At a guess, probably not very, what with the credit crunch, England not in Euro '08 (which BTW is a 'soccer' tournament) and everything else on my list about stuff to hate about life. It's about 10m long.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

I guess that the death of Princess Diana would be a major 'where where you?' of our times.

However, as it was in the early hours of a Sunday morning most of us would have found out the same way - bleary eyed, eating our breakfast, in front of the TV news.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:I guess that the death of Princess Diana would be a major 'where where you?' of our times.

However, as it was in the early hours of a Sunday morning most of us would have found out the same way - bleary eyed, eating our breakfast, in front of the TV news.
I was standing at a urinal in the pub I'd gone to for Sunday lunch. It was one of those loos where they have newspapers in glass frames on the walls. While answering nature's call, I read a headline that said "Princess of Wales dead" (or something) and thought it was a mocked-up front page. I went back to lunch and said to my friends, "Someone's got a really sick sense of humour..." It was only later, hearing the news on the car radio going home, that I realised it was actually a real newspaper.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Phil, I stand corrected. Your memory will be quite unique! :lol:
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Kai Laddiman wrote:

I'll bring this topic back round. :D At a guess, probably not very, what with the credit crunch, England not in Euro '08 (which BTW is a 'soccer' tournament) and everything else on my list about stuff to hate about life. It's about 10m long.
What impact does the credit crunch have on an 11 year old boy? Space Raiders no longer being 10p?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:

What impact does the credit crunch have on an 11 year old boy? Space Raiders no longer being 10p?
Exactly. 11p?!?!
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:I'll bring this topic back round. :D At a guess, probably not very, what with the credit crunch, England not in Euro '08 (which BTW is a 'soccer' tournament) and everything else on my list about stuff to hate about life. It's about 10m long.
Exactly. 11p?!?!
It's an outrage.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Kai, feel free to ask me any questions you want.