Is Countdown a 'guilty pleasure'?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Is Countdown a 'guilty pleasure'?

Post by Martin Smith »

I think most people would be unwilling to admit to watching Countdown. Certainly unwilling to admit to actively playing along against the contestants. And yet watching Deal or No Deal (a lengthy guessing game with induced tension and requiring a minor understanding of probability and the cost of a new kitchen) is something people gain credibility for watching. Is this a sign of the times, or a reflection of the nerdish status of Countdown (and Scrabble and similar). Are you proud or ashamed of watching it, or of being good at it? Which shows ARE you ashamed to admit to watching?
Pete Fraser

Re: Is Countdown a 'guilty pleasure'?

Post by Pete Fraser »

It seems strange to me that admitting to playing along would be considered any worse than admitting to watching without playing along. I mean, surely the point of watching the show at all is to play along?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I've gone all out!

Sweet Lara was nice enough to send me things like the book Spreading the Word (because she read on the forum that I would like to read it,) and Des O'Connor and Carol Vorderman's autographs! Also, I spoke to Great Sarah on the phone when I read that Jeff Stelling and Rachel Riley were the new hosts!

I think I have a great fondness for Countdown!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Most of my friends were embarrassed by/disinterested in my fascination with Countdown, until I actually applied to go on the show. Since then they can barely talk about anything else, which suits me of course.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Because it's Christmas Eve, I'm thinking that today is one of the more appropriate days to discuss this topic!

Charlie, have you been watching Countdown all your life?
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

My friends don't watch Countdown, but after they'd watched my first 3 heat games they said "if you're in the finals can we get tickets?".
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Wow, Richard!

Interesting!
Stewart Scott
Rookie

Post by Stewart Scott »

Charlie Reams wrote:Most of my friends were embarrassed by/disinterested in my fascination with Countdown, until I actually applied to go on the show. Since then they can barely talk about anything else, which suits me of course.
I know that feeling! :lol: Not a day goes by without someone asking me about it and it's usually who doesn't actually know me but has seen my face before - nice and I am more than happy to talk about the experience but it can be irritating sometimes when you think it's all people know you for.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Martin Smith wrote:And yet watching Deal or No Deal is something people gain credibility for watching.
Credibility among whom?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Really, Stewart?

Countdown's been an institution for 26 years!
Stewart Scott
Rookie

Post by Stewart Scott »

It's that fact that made me want to do the show in the first place - it's just when you are telling the same story for the 3rd or 4th time in the same day that it can sometimes get a little bit annoying (if you haven't had the best day and you're really not in the right mindset) but overall I am proud of my appearance on the show and give me an hour and I'll give you chapter and verse about all the fun I had in Leeds (despite the result :lol: ) and I look forward to the future and what Jeff and Rachel can do! :)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Martin Smith wrote:And yet watching Deal or No Deal is something people gain credibility for watching.
Credibility among whom?
The other morons who watch it.

As for me, I've always liked the show, and when I applied and passed the audition it did gain me a bit of popularity amongst my school friends, but these were people I didn't particularly want to be around anyway, and my close mates for the most part didn't really give a shit and just carried on as normal (one exception being Evil Matt, who on one or two occasions did call me up pointing out numbers games solutions I'd missed). Otherwise, I have no problem telling people I'm a fan/former contestant of the show- if they have a problem with it, as is implied, it is their problem.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Charlie Reams wrote:Most of my friends were embarrassed by/disinterested in my fascination with Countdown, until I actually applied to go on the show. Since then they can barely talk about anything else, which suits me of course.
Yeah I know that feeling, you might get a bit sick of it after a year or so though. I know one young girl (who must be about 18 now!) who used to say 'no longer the champion' everytime I walked past. It did get a bit tedious.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Stewart, Richard Whiteley is actually Mr. Countdown, not you. Right?
Stewart Scott
Rookie

Post by Stewart Scott »

Jason Larsen wrote:Stewart, Richard Whiteley is actually Mr. Countdown, not you. Right?
Agreed! :) Sorry if I talked too much and gave the impression of this - I tend to do this a bit too much around this time of year! Have a good Christmas, Jason! :D
tonywarren
Rookie

Post by tonywarren »

two years ago, while my first run was being broadcast I was stopped in Somerton by a young lady who could best be described as "jail bait". She said, in one breath "Your Tony from Countdown aren't you, your eighth win against Danny was really good", turning to her boyfriend whose knuckles trailed on the ground, "but I only watched becasue I was of school and it was raining". I'm perfectly happy to admit that I'm an un-reconstructed fan of 26 years standing, but it does seem that there are a whole group of secret teenage watchers. The futures octochamps perhaps? 8-)
Who says Morris dancing ain't cool...
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

You have a good Christmas too, Stewart!
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Maybe Eastbourne's different, but I've never had any impression, anywhere, that people would think watching Countdown was in any way uncool. This is the first time I've even seen it suggested.

Mind you, I was on in 2001 when Richard Whiteley was still in charge, and obviusly that's when I talked to most people about it. And I don't think any programme with RW in charge could be seen as geeky!
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

I am absolutely 100% proud to admit to anyone that I love Countdown. :D And even more proud when they're impressed that I'm good at sums.

I would also never under value the joy or importance that a show can have on someone's life. Sport seems quite unique in that people rearrange weddings, holidays etc so as to not miss a game, and I see no reason why a band or a TV show for example shouldn't be as important to others. 'That' Friday a few weeks back when it was Carol's last show we were having a staff meeting at work and I was proud to let them know why I had to leave early that day. I was also relieved that my son was off school ill and at home with my husband as otherwise I would also have arranged to pick him up early, and unashamedly told the school exactly why (it was an important piece of TV history).

I LOVE Countdown loudly and proudly, and if Charlie gets round to doing a t-shirt, I'll gladly wear one! :D
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Lesley, you may want to take a look at one of my threads in the General forum (Hint at the title: The subtititle is Series 60 Style.)

I think you'll enjoy reading it!
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:I am absolutely 100% proud to admit to anyone that I love Countdown. :D And even more proud when they're impressed that I'm good at sums.

I would also never under value the joy or importance that a show can have on someone's life. Sport seems quite unique in that people rearrange weddings, holidays etc so as to not miss a game, and I see no reason why a band or a TV show for example shouldn't be as important to others. 'That' Friday a few weeks back when it was Carol's last show we were having a staff meeting at work and I was proud to let them know why I had to leave early that day. I was also relieved that my son was off school ill and at home with my husband as otherwise I would also have arranged to pick him up early, and unashamedly told the school exactly why (it was an important piece of TV history).

I LOVE Countdown loudly and proudly, and if Charlie gets round to doing a t-shirt, I'll gladly wear one! :D
I also love Countdown and keep that three-quarters of an hour sacred each day. My friends all know not to ring me when Countdown is on and if I have to go out for any reason then I record the programme and watch it as soon as I get home. I have my special Countdown notepads and pens at the ready although I don't very often do better than the contestants. I rarely get the conundrum but do quite well with the numbers. I doubt that I'd be good enough to become a contestant and, living in Spain, it's quite unlikely that I could even be in the audience. I'm so glad Charlie mentioned this website as I browse around here most days and add my comments to the threads that I understand! Some of the threads are way beyond my comprehension, sorry!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Kathie, I know they get Countdown in Spain, and I got special Countdown notepads too!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:I am absolutely 100% proud to admit to anyone that I love Countdown. :D And even more proud when they're impressed that I'm good at sums.

I'm not sure I'd say it's quite the same as sport in that respect. People go out of their way with sport to watch it live, but since Countdown isn't live anyway, most people are less bothered about having to tape it.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

One game show host here says that sports and game shows are very similar in that they both make you equally excited.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

I'm thinking of when Take That split up the media ridiculed all the young girls who were devestated and needed counselling, whereas when Princess Diana died it was (to the media) perfectly acceptable for grown woman to be sobbing in Kensington Gardens. But both were cases of grief, however uninvolved with the subject the public were.

I would (and have) travelled to see bands I like play, but wouldn't attend a football match down the road even if I had a free ticket. But I think it's great that others like football enough to travel / take the day off work to support their chosen team.

Passion is passion, and if it makes you tick then it should never be something to be ashamed of. :) And the Countdown clock makes me tick! :lol: :roll:
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

We love Countdown, don't we, Lesley?

And Debbi Flack, this is for you. Jeff Stelling will be "our shepherd" forever more.
Les Butterworth
Rookie

Post by Les Butterworth »

Its a pleasure without doubt.
A tried and tested formula.
Used to play a card game called KAN-U-GO scrabble like anyone heard of it.
ps brought up in the days of B&W tele lets face it anythings a pleasure after Bill and Ben.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Les Butterworth wrote:Its a pleasure without doubt.
ps brought up in the days of B&W tele lets face it anythings a pleasure after Bill and Ben.
I remember the KAN-U-GO cards! I don't remember playing it but I remember using them during a house treasure hunt for easter eggs or something.
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

Les Butterworth wrote:Its a pleasure without doubt.
I don't remember KAN-U-GO, but have always loved Scrabble. Unfortunately, living in Spain with a husband and children who were brought up here, I find it difficult to find someone to play it with. Oh, I know there are websites where I can participate, but I prefer playing with real people (being old you see!). A few years ago we played tri-language Scrabble with my daughter and her boyfriend at the time. It worked out well, with them putting down Spanish or Catalan words and me English. Of course there were no accents or double l (ll) words, not to mention the n with a hat on, but we managed. I think I won!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

What is Kanugo, and who are you, Les?
Les Butterworth
Rookie

Post by Les Butterworth »

Jason Larsen"]What is Kanugo, and who are you, Les

Hi Jason

Sorry took so long to get back to this thread.

KAN-U-GO a word game circa 1950's link to description and picture http://www.toymonger.co.uk/GamePages/kanugo.htm

I'm an aging rocker and ex computer video geek from the 70's still got my BBC and Sinclair QL sad have watched countdown from day one been on most forums but don't post a lot but what I do is usually slightly interesting.

Cheers mines a double Brandy preferably Courvoisier.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you for letting me know!

Les, honestly, your name sounds familiar to me! Have I seen you elsewhere?