An alternate title for Countdown

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

An alternate title for Countdown

Post by Jason Larsen »

After hearing what Countdown is going to be like in 2009, I think a good alternate title for Countdown would be, "The Jeff Stelling Show."

Does anyone know if Jeff has made the show all about the contestants much like the other hosts have?

I ask because I hear that watching Countdown will be just like watching Sky Sports.

I really don't understand that, so I should ask, how so?
David Roe
Enthusiast

Re: An alternate title for Countdown

Post by David Roe »

I think it might be easier to judge the quality of the programme after we've seen it.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you, David.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

What?

Post by Jason Larsen »

After reading the reply to a thread in this forum that stated, "Countdown is essentially Sky Sports Soccer Saturday" (meaning the show with a Countdown twist, I presume,) I realize that the whole analogy must not actually be funny.

But, I've been told that we shouldn't judge newer Countdown episodes until we see them.

Will someone please do me a favor and give me an example of what Countdown would be like if I were in a contestant's shoes?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: What?

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jason Larsen wrote:Will someone please do me a favor and give me an example of what Countdown would be like if I were in a contestant's shoes?
It would be the same except that one of the conestants wouldn't have any shoes on. But you don't normally see their feet anyway.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I was just being figurative, Gavin!

What would a recent taping of Countdown be like?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jason Larsen wrote:What would a recent taping of Countdown be like?
Sky Sports.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Alan Hawkshaw didn't touch the theme song, I hope!
John Evans
Rookie

Post by John Evans »

Jason Larsen wrote:Alan Hawkshaw didn't touch the theme song, I hope!
No, but they've extended the clock music to fit in a short advert break in the middle of each round. Apart from that, it's pretty much the same, but better...
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

It is still Jeff and Rachel's show, though!
Andy Thomson
Acolyte

Post by Andy Thomson »

An alternate title? A different title for every second episode? Or perhaps you meant an alternative title.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Andy, I'm not sure if it will be like Jeff Stelling will make it his show. If I was sure he wouldn't, then I wouldn't have created this thread.
Lucy Gowers
Rookie

Post by Lucy Gowers »

Andy Thomson wrote:An alternate title? A different title for every second episode? Or perhaps you meant an alternative title.
But Jason's American. Alternative and Alternate are interchangeable in standard American English:

http://www.bartleby.com/68/12/312.html

I thought everyone knew that.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

I've read this thread a few times now and I have literally no clue as to what the hell Jason is talking about. Its like you are speaking a foreign language and then cut and pasting it onto a translater into English.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'm sorry!

I meant to say without question that it will still be the contestants' show, and Jeff will not make it his own.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

I wouldnt be too sure. The most charismatic and popular presenter on UK TV alongside a bunch of generally socially-deficient meek middle-aged men?
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Matthew Green wrote:I wouldnt be too sure. The most charismatic and popular presenter on UK TV alongside a bunch of generally socially-deficient meek middle-aged men?
The more I hear about Jeff (and Rachel) the more intrigued I am about the new season. Am I the only person who had never heard of Jeff Stelling until he was mentioned in connection with the Countdown host's job? Even now, I've never knowingly seen him on TV.
tonywarren
Rookie

Post by tonywarren »

Matthew Green wrote:I wouldnt be too sure. The most charismatic and popular presenter on UK TV alongside a bunch of generally socially-deficient meek middle-aged men?
I wouldn't call Charlie, Junaid & Kai to name but three, middle aged. And I presume that meek was a typo and that geek was intended. I love the idea of being promoted to geek.
A note to future contestants on the Jeff Stelling & Rachel show. Be careful what you say. JS might overhear and suddenly bring it up on camera when you least expect it. :oops:
Who says Morris dancing ain't cool...
Pete Fraser

Post by Pete Fraser »

The thing that strikes me about the photos of Jeff and Rachel is how American they look. Like they're channelling Pat Sajak and Vanna White or something. (One for Jason Larsen there!)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Howard Somerset wrote:Am I the only person who had never heard of Jeff Stelling until he was mentioned in connection with the Countdown host's job?
No. I still don't really understand why so many people seem to have heard of him - I guess Sky must be more popular than I thought.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

When they were looking for the people to bring Countdown into its new era, they chose Jeff and Rachel because they were confident that it would still be a show all about the contestants. They thought Jeff and Rachel would bring more memories to Countdown.

Two people here, namely Kate and Lara, can tell you that for sure!

And Pete, no, they are not channeling Pat and Vanna!
Lucy Gowers
Rookie

Post by Lucy Gowers »

Pete Fraser wrote:The thing that strikes me about the photos of Jeff and Rachel is how American they look.
I've long thought that Jeff Stelling is the spit of the greatest Channel 4 quizmaster of all time:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2139/151 ... bb.jpg?v=0
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:Am I the only person who had never heard of Jeff Stelling until he was mentioned in connection with the Countdown host's job?
No. I still don't really understand why so many people seem to have heard of him - I guess Sky must be more popular than I thought.
Me too - I think it must be a footie thing, judging by the enthusiasm for the various teams mentioned.
Is it true that contestants are required to state who they support in their profile?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

PeterMabey wrote:Is it true that contestants are required to state who they support in their profile?
It's on the application form now; if you put that you don't support a team or don't like football, the application goes straight in the bin apparently.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Jon Corby wrote:
PeterMabey wrote:Is it true that contestants are required to state who they support in their profile?
It's on the application form now; if you put that you don't support a team or don't like football, the application goes straight in the bin apparently.
Because it means you're a poofter.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
Because it means you're a poofter.
Oi.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Somebody online said that Jeff looks like Bob Monkhouse when he was younger. I bet if he knows that now he takes that as a compliment.

However, everyone makes mistakes and does anyone remember his "$64,000 Question" blooper?

Jeff may make some of them but I don't think he'll laugh if he does. This is one of the reasons why I am under the impression that you all think he is a natural.

Consequently positively, Jeff will make Countdown his own show, and I have no doubt about that!
Andy Thomson
Acolyte

Post by Andy Thomson »

Lucy Gowers wrote:
Andy Thomson wrote:An alternate title? A different title for every second episode? Or perhaps you meant an alternative title.
But Jason's American. Alternative and Alternate are interchangeable in standard American English:

Maybe they do. Maybe even I do. But I didn't know Jason was American.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Andy Thomson wrote:
Lucy Gowers wrote:

Maybe they do. Maybe even I do. But I didn't know Jason was American.
His location is a clue ;)
Andy Thomson
Acolyte

Post by Andy Thomson »

PeterMabey wrote:
A fair point Peter but not necessarily true. I know quite a number of Americans who live in the UK and a number of Brits who live in the US. I had assumed - misguidedly as it transpires - that anyone who was familiar with Countdown must perforce be from these shores. Is it transmitted in the States or has Jason lived in the UK?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Andy Thomson wrote:
PeterMabey wrote:
A fair point Peter but not necessarily true. I know quite a number of Americans who live in the UK and a number of Brits who live in the US. I had assumed - misguidedly as it transpires - that anyone who was familiar with Countdown must perforce be from these shores. Is it transmitted in the States or has Jason lived in the UK?
I don't believe they're transmitted over there (and I'm fairly sure that we'd find out from the Larster himself if they started doing so). Fortunately he can get his fix thanks to the wonders of torrenting.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:I don't believe they're transmitted over there
Apparently they did do a pilot though, but it was scrapped because it was deemed too intellectual for an American audience.

:roll:
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Lucy Gowers wrote:
Pete Fraser wrote:The thing that strikes me about the photos of Jeff and Rachel is how American they look.
I've long thought that Jeff Stelling is the spit of the greatest Channel 4 quizmaster of all time:

Lmao, that's spot on.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ben Hunter wrote: Lmao, that's spot on.
Talking of images, why do you have such a crap avatar?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Charlie Reams wrote:
It's better than yours - where's the Oliver Queen cosplay photo we all want to see?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Lucy Gowers wrote:

Do you have a logon on f365 now it's gone members-only Lucy?
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Charlie Reams wrote:
I have a thing for fat, Chinese babies.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
I have a thing for fat, Chinese babies.
I thought that was you. ;)
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Yes, I watch Countdown on the website, http://www.uknova.com, and I did know that an American Countdown pilot was scrapped for being too intellectual.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

I fail to see what that has to do with raccoons.
Lucy Gowers
Rookie

Post by Lucy Gowers »

Jon Corby wrote:
Lucy Gowers wrote:

Do you have a logon on f365 now it's gone members-only Lucy?
Not yet, Jon. I'll probably sort it out over Christmas. I did see the CoC pics you posted before the lockdown :D

The shirt looks really good. Did you explain the significance of it on camera or are the viewers left to ponder its enigma? And are you bringing out a clothing range?!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Lucy Gowers wrote:The shirt looks really good. Did you explain the significance of it on camera or are the viewers left to ponder its enigma? And are you bringing out a clothing range?!
Nah, Jeff asked me about the shirt but I asked him not to mention it on camera. I'm not sure it could really be explained in any way that would be interesting (or entertaining) other than to those in the know, in which case it would be utterly redundant.

I do have a "clothing range" in that they sent me two ridiculously enormous shirts to start with (having asked for medium), so if any fat bastards out there want one (the unusual motif might deflect attention away from your hideous gut), they're welcome to it! Or maybe some delectable young lady could use one as a nightshirt (provided they send me photos of them in it)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon Corby wrote:Or maybe some delectable young lady could use one as a nightshirt (provided they send me photos of them in it)
*flutters eyelashes*
Naomi Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Naomi Laddiman »

I'm neither delectable nor young, but I could use a new night shirt!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:*flutters eyelashes*
I just done a little sick in my mouth.

(Thank god for the little feature which alerts you when somebody else has already posted while you're typing your reply when you try to submit it, otherwise this would have originally appeared below Mrs Kai's response without the quote from Michael, which would have been horrible! Mrs Kai, if you're prepared to keep up the "photo" end of the bargain, you're welcome to one :))
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

How about if I sent you a photo of my wife in it?
Naomi Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Naomi Laddiman »

Jon Corby wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:*flutters eyelashes*
I just done a little sick in my mouth.

(Thank god for the little feature which alerts you when somebody else has already posted while you're typing your reply when you try to submit it, otherwise this would have originally appeared below Mrs Kai's response without the quote from Michael, which would have been horrible! Mrs Kai, if you're prepared to keep up the "photo" end of the bargain, you're welcome to one :))
Thanks for the explanation there Jon! A bit of photo editing, and you're on!! :)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Michael Wallace wrote:How about if I sent you a photo of my wife in it?
Your personal life seems somewhat complicated - on another thread you alluded to your fiance [sic].
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Sorry, I meant 'the wife'.

Hope that clears things up.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Mrs Kai wrote:Thanks for the explanation there Jon! A bit of photo editing, and you're on!! :)
You have first choice of the white or light blue. You'll also need to PM me your postal address to mail it to please :)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Countdown will not be called, "Raccoon Boy!"
Naomi Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Naomi Laddiman »

You have first choice of the white or light blue. You'll also need to PM me your postal address to mail it to please :)[/quote]

I forgot to say "Thank you" :!:
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

You're welcome, Naomi, but I think you're kidding!
Naomi Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Naomi Laddiman »

Eh???
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Yes ma'am!
Naomi Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Naomi Laddiman »

Jason Larsen wrote:Yes ma'am!
Sorry Jason, but I'm not quite sure what planet you're on with this!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Mrs Kai wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:Yes ma'am!
Sorry Jason, but I'm not quite sure what planet you're on with this!
In one of your above posts, Mrs Kai, you said
Mrs Kai wrote:I forgot to say "Thank you" :!:
Now this was for Corby I believe, but from the looks of it Jason thought you meant him (as you said this after his post), so he replied by saying you're welcome.
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

Jason Larsen wrote:Yes, I watch Countdown on the website, http://www.uknova.com, and I did know that an American Countdown pilot was scrapped for being too intellectual.
Sorry Jason, I didn't look at this thread until after I'd asked you how Sarah could receive Countdown in Canada on the 'Other Topics' thread. I think a computer would be too complicated for her to cope with, so don't worry. I'll keep her up to date on how the new show goes.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I believe you, Naomi, and Kathie, who is sarah?