Unpopular opinions you genuinely hold

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Unpopular opinions you genuinely hold

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:44 am
Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:31 pm People walking their dogs should have poo bags on them anyway and are part of the wider dog walking community, so if they see some dog poo that didn't come from their own dog, they should pick it up anyway and not be all "Well it's nothing to do with me" about it. Especially on that bridge on my run route that always has fucking dog shit on it.
Well you could carry poo bags and pick the shit up too
I'm not stopping on a run. Plus these people are all well versed in the procedure, and most of them have probably missed their own dog's poo at some point so should be paying something back to the community. And generally everyone else has to put up with other people's out-of-control dogs running up to them and jumping on them and have to pretend it's not a problem and actually quite enjoyable. So this is for the general antisocial nature of their dog-related activities.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

David Williams wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:22 am It would be nice if the wider McDonalds-eating community acted in similar fashion.
I guess a discarded burger could be mistaken for a dog poo
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:07 am
Marc Meakin wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:44 am
Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:31 pm People walking their dogs should have poo bags on them anyway and are part of the wider dog walking community, so if they see some dog poo that didn't come from their own dog, they should pick it up anyway and not be all "Well it's nothing to do with me" about it. Especially on that bridge on my run route that always has fucking dog shit on it.
Well you could carry poo bags and pick the shit up too
I'm not stopping on a run. Plus these people are all well versed in the procedure, and most of them have probably missed their own dog's poo at some point so should be paying something back to the community. And generally everyone else has to put up with other people's out-of-control dogs running up to them and jumping on them and have to pretend it's not a problem and actually quite enjoyable. So this is for the general antisocial nature of their dog-related activities.
Or put extra large poo bags over your footwear so it doesn't matter if you tread in dog shit.
Btw who picks up foxes shit?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

The Marchioness of Cholmondeley is better looking than Kate Middleton.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Punch a woman when she's down.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Oh shit. I completely forgot I was told about Kate's diagnosis last night.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Mark James wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:50 am The Marchioness of Cholmondeley is better looking than Kate Middleton.
Rose Hanbury.
Is she the one that Prince William was knobbing.
Yes I shouldn't kick a man when he is down, (wife and dad with cancer an estranged from his brother)
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Mark James wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:50 am The Marchioness of Cholmondeley is better looking than Kate Middleton.
I like my women with more chin.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ian Volante wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:13 pm
I like my women with more chin.
And less consonants
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

It's time to stop making Sundays special in retail especially.
Most workers are on single time anyway so why restrict trade to 6 hours
As for Easter Sunday meaning most shops are shut, because it's not a bank hokiday you are still expected to work.
Surely practising Christians are in the minority in the UK
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Big wedding ceremonies are a waste of money,
You spend thousands and relatives you don't see from one year to the next all expect invites a fortune on a dress /suite,.
Better to just get married with a couple f witnesses and take your family out for a meal at a later date

Which is what I'm going to do next Wednesday.(3rd April)
I know some of my family will be pissed off but hey ho
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:53 pm Big wedding ceremonies are a waste of money,
You spend thousands and relatives you don't see from one year to the next all expect invites a fortune on a dress /suite,.
Better to just get married with a couple f witnesses and take your family out for a meal at a later date

Congratulations!
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:53 pm Big wedding ceremonies are a waste of money,

You mean someone actually agreed to marry you? ;)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:06 pm

You mean someone actually agreed to marry you? ;)
That makes 2 people 😊
Probably because my first wedding was an expensive disaster (2 cakes, in law doing a runner from paying for the meal) and my intended being very shy plus my in laws being poorly a hastily arranged quiet wedding seemed best.
If i live another 43 years my anniversary will be Easter Sunday
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Is this why I'm not invited?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Relating to my politics thread post I think if a leader of the elected government leaves or dies in office it should be in the constitution that a general election should be triggered within 6 months
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:43 am Relating to my politics thread post I think if a leader of the elected government leaves or dies in office it should be in the constitution that a general election should be triggered within 6 months
I disagree with that. We elect individual members of parliament, and the government simply forms from that. It's seems crazy to be that all those 650 people that have been elected by the people ostensibly for five years only have their positions dependent on this one person.

Although in practice a lot of people do vote based on the leader of the party they are voting for (see Boris Johnson), it shouldn't be encouraged and certainly shouldn't be encoded into law.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Good tribute bands are better to see live than the original band if that band was from the 70s or early 80s
Tal Lessner
Rookie

Post by Tal Lessner »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:14 am Good tribute bands are better to see live than the original band if that band was from the 70s or early 80s
I saw many 60s-80s artists in the past 20 years, most of them were still great performers and no tribute band, as good as it is, can get even close.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

I was lucky enough to see Madness a few years ago - still brilliant and full of energy, if a little chubbier than they were back in the day!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:14 am Good tribute bands are better to see live than the original band if that band was from the 70s or early 80s
Better in what way though? If it's just about sound quality you might as well just listen to a recording and not see anyone live.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:57 am
Better in what way though? If it's just about sound quality you might as well just listen to a recording and not see anyone live.
I meant if you want see a live band then a tribute version of Duran Duran would have a more competent singer than Simon Le Bon.
There are exceptions of course, Mick Jagger can still sing but Elton John, Rod Stewart nah
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:22 pm
I meant if you want see a live band then a tribute version of Duran Duran would have a more competent singer than Simon Le Bon.
You could have said that in 1982 too though.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ian Volante wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:46 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:22 pm

You could have said that in 1982 too though.
Valid point, he was certainly shit at Live Aid
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

I would rather see the original band and I used to be a bit dismissive of tribute bands, but then my daughter joined Rumours of Fleetwood Mac in the Christine McVie role, so i re-evaluated.

Good tribute bands can be very good indeed. The problem is that they're not really a band, but more of a show. The people that pay to watch expect them to sound as much like the original band as possible.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Paul Worsley wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:14 pm
I would rather see the original band and I used to be a bit dismissive of tribute bands, but then my daughter joined Rumours of Fleetwood Mac in the Christine McVie role, so i re-evaluated.

Good tribute bands can be very good indeed. The problem is that they're not really a band, but more of a show. The people that pay to watch expect them to sound as much like the original band as possible.
One would assume it's reflected in the entrance fee.
The cost of Elton John's last concerts were ridiculous
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:27 pm
Paul Worsley wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:14 pm

One would assume it's reflected in the entrance fee.
The cost of Elton John's last concerts were ridiculous
Australian Pink Floyd tickets are all over £100 now. I saw Pink Floyd perform The Wall in 1980 at Earl's Court for £14 (£75 adjusted for inflation)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Australian Pink Floyd are probably better than the original Members now.

That is what I call an unpopular opinion
Tal Lessner
Rookie

Post by Tal Lessner »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:36 pm Australian Pink Floyd are probably better than the original Members now.

That is what I call an unpopular opinion
Probably true, since without Syd Barrett they were boring as fuck.
Matt Rutherford
Acolyte

Post by Matt Rutherford »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:39 pm It's time to stop making Sundays special in retail especially.
Most workers are on single time anyway so why restrict trade to 6 hours
As for Easter Sunday meaning most shops are shut, because it's not a bank hokiday you are still expected to work.
Surely practising Christians are in the minority in the UK
There are more Christians than you might think. In addition, keeping at least one day restricted is something to at least prevent overwork. You let companies go lassiez-faire, they'll take it. Weekends are valuable to a lot of people. If the law protects that in some ways (i.e Sundays) then that is something to be celebrated
The Vicar of Dudley*

*(Not ordained, nor do I live Dudley. Godspeed!)
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:08 am
Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:43 am Relating to my politics thread post I think if a leader of the elected government leaves or dies in office it should be in the constitution that a general election should be triggered within 6 months
I disagree with that. We elect individual members of parliament, and the government simply forms from that. It's seems crazy to be that all those 650 people that have been elected by the people ostensibly for five years only have their positions dependent on this one person.

Although in practice a lot of people do vote based on the leader of the party they are voting for (see Boris Johnson), it shouldn't be encouraged and certainly shouldn't be encoded into law.
And if that was the rule Johnson would still be PM.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Nah we would have got a new government, though maybe 6 months of Truss fucking up the country rather than 6 weeks (was it even that long)
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:50 am Nah we would have got a new government, though maybe 6 months of Truss fucking up the country rather than 6 weeks (was it even that long)
My point is that if replacing a leader means a general election, and a leader can only be removed by his party's MPs voting him out - they aren't very likely to vote him out.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Extra time in football is a waste of time.
Why not have penalties at 90 minutes and have 10 penalty takers (not all keepers areas good as Ederson)
This will stop teams from conserving energy at around 85 minutes and go for it more.
Having 10 penalties each means it's more of a leveller
Also teams that have players sent off will have a disadvantage come penalties and more likely their GK will have to take one
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I kinda like this idea. Wouldn't mind scrapping extra time and sure, have 11 penalties each. Everyone should have to take one and save one.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I was talking to a friend about penalty shoot-outs the other day (he doesn't like them) and we were talking about alternatives. I've heard people suggesting reducing the number of players on the pitch before. I also suggested (probably not originally) getting rid of goalkeepers during extra time. You still keep 11 players and one geezer can obviously stand in goal if he wants but he doesn't have the special handball powers.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:47 pm I was talking to a friend about penalty shoot-outs the other day (he doesn't like them) and we were talking about alternatives. I've heard people suggesting reducing the number of players on the pitch before. I also suggested (probably not originally) getting rid of goalkeepers during extra time. You still keep 11 players and one geezer can obviously stand in goal if he wants but he doesn't have the special handball powers.
Well in the Lille v Aston Villa game the referee seemed to send off the Villa goalkeeper during the penalty shoot out but alas he changed his mind.
I can only assume an outfield player would have had to go in goal
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Taylor Swift is okay. Her music is good, but not great, and as a performer she's a solid 7.5/10 but nowhere near the generational talent her fans make her out to be and not even remotely the 'death of music' some of her haters seem to think she is.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Ben Wilson wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:09 pm Taylor Swift is okay. Her music is good, but not great, and as a performer she's a solid 7.5/10 but nowhere near the generational talent her fans make her out to be and not even remotely the 'death of music' some of her haters seem to think she is.
The silent majority agree with you on this, I'm pretty sure. Although 7.5 is a bit high.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jon O'Neill wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:55 pm
Ben Wilson wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:09 pm Taylor Swift is okay. Her music is good, but not great, and as a performer she's a solid 7.5/10 but nowhere near the generational talent her fans make her out to be and not even remotely the 'death of music' some of her haters seem to think she is.
The silent majority agree with you on this, I'm pretty sure. Although 7.5 is a bit high.
So many artists first record turns out to be one of their best.
Love Sory by Taylor Swift
Genie in a Bottle by Christine Aguilera
Even Holiday by Madonna
Matt Rutherford
Acolyte

Post by Matt Rutherford »

Marc Meakin wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:04 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:47 pm I was talking to a friend about penalty shoot-outs the other day (he doesn't like them) and we were talking about alternatives. I've heard people suggesting reducing the number of players on the pitch before. I also suggested (probably not originally) getting rid of goalkeepers during extra time. You still keep 11 players and one geezer can obviously stand in goal if he wants but he doesn't have the special handball powers.
Well in the Lille v Aston Villa game the referee seemed to send off the Villa goalkeeper during the penalty shoot out but alas he changed his mind.
I can only assume an outfield player would have had to go in goal
Pedantry ensues Martinez was booked during the main game-that card wasn't carried forward to the penalty shootout (nature of rules I don't know, but that's what happened). I'm not complaining-though I did virtually void my bowels when I saw the ref reach for his pocket.

It also confirmed that Emi Martinez is well and truly the Adam Latchford of English Football.
The Vicar of Dudley*

*(Not ordained, nor do I live Dudley. Godspeed!)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:55 pm
I didn't realise she was supposed to be a "Marmite" figure.

In other news, I quite like Marmite.

By the way, in this interview, Neil Tennant hits on something I've often thought:
“I'd be very interested, if I'm still alive, to see how Taylor Swift is regarded in years to come,” says Tennant, “because she has this massive success - but normally with people with massive success, there's a popular legacy of songs that everyone knows.

“If you're Michael Jackson, who doesn’t know Billie Jean or Beat It? With Taylor Swift I never feel it's the moment where your grandmother knows her song.”