Spoilers for Friday 9th June 2023 (Series 87, Heat 100)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Friday 9th June 2023 (Series 87, Heat 100)

Post by Johnny Canuck »

ECCESSION, ACCESSION? To me that's tomayto, tomahto.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
John Garcia
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers for Friday 9th June 2023 (Series 87, Heat 100)

Post by John Garcia »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:17 pm ECCESSION, ACCESSION? To me that's tomayto, tomahto.
Agree that was a harsh decision, esp as Graham had already buzzed and got wrong, and had already won. If poor pronunciation is going to cost people words then it should do so uniformly. Unless there is a special rule for conundrums???

p.s. MORDENITE
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

When I watch it, all I can see is C2 getting the right answer then being told it's wrong. Maybe there was more discussion or clarification we didn't see? When a contestant says something which sounds like both the correct answer and some made-up word in neither the dictionary nor the selection, it seems very harsh to automatically take it as the latter.

In Oxford Dictionaries Premium, the pronunciation of the initial vowel sound of ACCESSION is a schwa, the neutral "uh" vowel. To me it's like "accept" and "except" - in some accents they're indistinguishable.

Many years ago there was a conundrum scramble BUDLLLEIA. I didn't know whether the answer was ALLUDIBLE or ILLUDABLE, but I wondered if either contestant would buzz and pronounce the word with all schwas to try to cover both bases, and what would have happened afterwards. As it turned out, neither of those are real words and the answer was LULLABIED, but still, it was an interesting thought exercise.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

To be fair, the contestant clearly uttering ‘eccession’ for such a common word in ‘accession’ is a bit weird. Some quiz shows do insist on a “phonetically correct” rule so this isn’t unique. Unfortunate, but I think at least in preliminary matches they should allow some leeway, or perhaps ask for spelling. There’s always a chance these little mishaps occur when recording the conundrums, hence why they allow edits, re-takes, and changes of conundrums.
Series 78 Runner-up
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

OSTLERING in R1
NEGATED in R10
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Graeme Cole wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:05 pm When I watch it, all I can see is C2 getting the right answer then being told it's wrong. Maybe there was more discussion or clarification we didn't see? When a contestant says something which sounds like both the correct answer and some made-up word in neither the dictionary nor the selection, it seems very harsh to automatically take it as the latter.
Remember the TORTUROUS/TORTUOUS one a few years ago where the contestant got away with clearly saying an actual (not made-up) word that was incorrect. Mind you, the difference is that Colin is on the ball in a way that Nick never was.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I was surprised when I first heard it but listened again and it definitely started with an E the way he said it. Maybe it was his eccent or maybe there was some discussion, but I don't think there should be leeway on the basis that your wrong answer happens to sound like the right answer. He needs to have meant ACCESSION.
Howie Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Howie Myers »

r3 alt: 9*(75+1)-100+10-6=588
r9 alt: 5*(100+50+1)+5=760