Healthy body, healthy mind?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Healthy body, healthy mind?

Post by Marc Meakin »

I'm doing my inaugural ParkRun (walk) this Saturday, and an hour after I finish (I'm guessing it will take an hour to complete) I will be entering another British Quizzing quiz.
So a non scientific experiment is whether I will do better at the quiz this month because I've done a, Parkrun
I will let you know
Btw Gev and others, tips for Parkrun will be much appreciated
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Re: Healthy body, healthy mind?

Post by Fiona T »

Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:25 am I'm doing my inaugural ParkRun (walk) this Saturday, and an hour after I finish (I'm guessing it will take an hour to complete) I will be entering another British Quizzing quiz.
So a non scientific experiment is whether I will do better at the quiz this month because I've done a, Parkrun
I will let you know
Excellent! Enjoy :)

Only tip is (if you're not already familiar with the park) read the course page to see if it's tarmac/gravel/fields, so you know if you're likely to get muddy feet and dress accordingly! And don't forget your barcode!
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Fiona T wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:02 am
Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:25 am I'm doing my inaugural ParkRun (walk) this Saturday, and an hour after I finish (I'm guessing it will take an hour to complete) I will be entering another British Quizzing quiz.
I will let you know

Only tip is (if you're not already familiar with the park) read the course page to see if it's tarmac/gravel/fields, so you know if you're likely to get muddy feet and dress accordingly! And don't forget your barcode!
Thanks, I've had the bar code for a month now.
Its mainly pavement and tarmac but I'm likely to get muddy.
Dirtand mud seem to like me.

Silly question but are lockers usually provided or do I run with a backpack?
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:46 pm
Fiona T wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:02 am
I will let you know

Thanks, I've had the bar code for a month now.
Its mainly pavement and tarmac but I'm likely to get muddy.
Dirtand mud seem to like me.

Silly question but are lockers usually provided or do I run with a backpack?
Most don't have lockers, but people leave a bag at the start/finish line. Obviously there's a small risk in doing so, but I've never heard of anyone who's had their stuff nicked.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Have you jogged/walked/run the 5k distance already? It's good to know what you're roughly capable of to start with so you set off at a reasonable speed.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

From one very amaterur parkrunner to another -

Dump your bag with all the other bags at the start, there's a million other vpolunteers buzzing about so it won't get nicked.

Just run, you'll figure out how well you can do the distance once you've done the parkrun innit
cheers maus
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:21 pm Have you jogged/walked/run the 5k distance already? It's good to know what you're roughly capable of to start with so you set off at a reasonable speed.
I have run 5k before for a sports charity and this was before my heart surgery I was 2 stone heavier than I am now and using an asthma pump did it in an hour.

I have walked much further many times and brisk walking is how I will do it as I do believe there are an average 90 people including walkers