Getting back on for a second go

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Re: Getting back on for a second go

Post by Marc Meakin »

I probably had a better chance of doing well pre apterous as the standards in the last 15 to 20 years have improved immensely
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Adam S Latchford
Acolyte

Post by Adam S Latchford »

Marc Meakin wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:18 am I probably had a better chance of doing well pre apterous as the standards in the last 15 to 20 years have improved immensely
Oh massively - apto has made the standard truly ridiculous. Some amazing players pre apto but it's genuinely night and day levels at the moment.

Quite sad about that still!
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Adam S Latchford wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:28 am
Marc Meakin wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:18 am I probably had a better chance of doing well pre apterous as the standards in the last 15 to 20 years have improved immensely
Oh massively - apto has made the standard truly ridiculous. Some amazing players pre apto but it's genuinely night and day levels at the moment.

Quite sad about that still!
Obviously true for the top players. But I'm not sure it's true for the rest - there's probably an 'Ask Graeme' in there.
It's more than just apterous though. The print dictionary was the only prize of any real value, so I don't suppose many people would have bought one beforehand. So if you were watching an episode and came up with a DC beater there was no way of checking it was actually valid. I do remember spotting something like DILATORS once and going into WH Smiths in my lunchtime the following day to see if it was OK.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Print dictionaries were quite a common household item back in the olden days! And Oxford one of the more common brands. I don't think people would have decided not to buy one because they might go on Countdown in a few years if they get round to it.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

I don't think many people would have shelled out for something like the NODE. I think I used to have a ten year-old Concise Oxford Dictionary and a Collins Dictionary that pre-dated the invention of the aeroplane.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I think I got a NODE for Christmas about 20 years ago.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

I bought my wife the Ninth edition of the Concise twenty odd years ago for her Christmas present as she had just introduced me to Countdown. She wasn't amused!
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Steve Hyde
Acolyte

Post by Steve Hyde »

Steve Hyde wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:51 pm
Dame Eadie wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:00 pm
We've even had people use different names 2nd time around to avoid detection.
They're a sneaky pair are Kostadinos Sfyris and Matt Croy ;)
For the avoidance of doubt, this was 100% a joke, Matt and Dinos's second appearances were fully above board, and I'm *really* intrigued to find out who has actually done this
Matt OConnor

Post by Matt OConnor »

I can confirm that I was not one of these culprits in case you were wondering ;) I was very clear on my application form for my second stint of my name change.
Steve Hyde wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:40 pm
Dame Eadie wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:00 pm
We've even had people use different names 2nd time around to avoid detection.
For the avoidance of doubt, this was 100% a joke, Matt and Dinos's second appearances were fully above board, and I'm *really* intrigued to find out who has actually done this

In terms of this conversation in general, I consider myself very privileged to have had 2 stints on the show. Like a lot of people, I discovered Apterous after I had passed my initial audition in 2011, so I didn't have a lot of time to practise before filming. I was asked to be a standby contestant due to living close to the studios so I got on quite quickly; somehow I managed to win 5 shows but didn't make the finals. I was even invited back for a one off special the year after (which ended up being shown at 6am 2½ years later). At the time, I genuinely thought that was that for appearing on the show.

For me, the realisation that I could possibly be considered to go back on again was Zarte's reappearance, considering he had also won 5 shows and also didn't make the series finals. I decided to wait the official/unofficial 10 years until attempting so and just thought 'why not, they can only say No'. Just because Zarte had gone back on, I didn't have any expectation that I would be allowed back on too as I understood it's purely at the discretion of the CD crew. It took about 6 months between applying and getting an email inviting me for an audition, then being a standby contestant again and getting back on in Series 85. I almost lost my first game of my return, but thanks to spotting MALONATES in the last letters game (of which I learnt from Apterous of course) I won and ended up being the series runner-up, the icing on the cake was then to be asked back for CoC recently too.

I would say, I did put a lot of pressure on myself to do better second time round. I knew I was a better player, but it all depends who you are facing on the day. I remember during my Octorun checking all the names on the outside of the other dressing room doors to see if I recognised them from Apterous :lol:

For me personally, I feel very very lucky to have been on 19 shows of Countdown and I have memories that will last with me forever and I'm eternally grateful to Damian and the rest of the crew for allowing me to have another stint. They're all a friendly bunch and you really do feel welcomed into the Countdown family when you are there. I would encourage anyone who has been on before to apply, the worst that can happen is they say No.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I'm already considering the name change option, I won't go for a gender change though.
Although according to Marks and Spencer, I identify as "serves 4" 😀
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Was Series 12's Karl Kurdistan (formerly Series 1's Saladin Khoshnaw) a slip-through or was the team aware?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:57 pm Was Series 12's Karl Kurdistan (formerly Series 1's Saladin Khoshnaw) a slip-through or was the team aware?
I'm sure I read a thing about him being allowed back on for diversity reasons or something.
Steve Hyde
Acolyte

Post by Steve Hyde »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:07 pm
Johnny Canuck wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:57 pm Was Series 12's Karl Kurdistan (formerly Series 1's Saladin Khoshnaw) a slip-through or was the team aware?
I'm sure I read a thing about him being allowed back on for diversity reasons or something.
https://world-scrabble.yahoogroups.nark ... l-khoshnaw
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Nice find.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Trevor Montague appeared on Fifteen-to-One in 1990, and again in 1992 under a different name and while wearing a disguise. At the time losers couldn’t take part again. He was eventually sued after a viewer spotted his tactic on a Challenge repeat. He did the same tactic on The Krypton Factor but this wasn’t noticed.
Series 78 Runner-up
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Philip A wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:52 am Trevor Montague appeared on Fifteen-to-One in 1990, and again in 1992 under a different name and while wearing a disguise. At the time losers couldn’t take part again. He was eventually sued after a viewer spotted his tactic on a Challenge repeat.
I did think of him actually. Considered posting but didn't get round to it!
He did the same tactic on The Krypton Factor but this wasn’t noticed.
I didn't know this though. But he someone must have noticed at some point because you know about it!
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:58 am
Philip A wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:52 am Trevor Montague appeared on Fifteen-to-One in 1990, and again in 1992 under a different name and while wearing a disguise. At the time losers couldn’t take part again. He was eventually sued after a viewer spotted his tactic on a Challenge repeat.
I did think of him actually. Considered posting but didn't get round to it!
He did the same tactic on The Krypton Factor but this wasn’t noticed.
I didn't know this though. But he someone must have noticed at some point because you know about it!
‘Wasn’t’ being the operative word. :)
Series 78 Runner-up
samir pilica
Acolyte

Post by samir pilica »

IIRC, Montague was sued by W.G Stewart for winning a trophy, not for taking part in disguise.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

samir pilica wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:01 am IIRC, Montague was sued by W.G Stewart for winning a trophy, not for taking part in disguise.
Sounds realistic. I don't think someone sneaking on a gameshow against the rules would go to court. Obtaining something of value through deception is a much bigger deal.
samir pilica
Acolyte

Post by samir pilica »

Stewart was very fond of those trophies, which he chose himself. Not sure if he himself paid for it. Probably not, looked quite pricey antiques. Remember him harping on endlessly about Elgin Marbles…
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

What about the bloke who pretended to be Scottish to get on the X factor twice?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JackHurst wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:19 pm What about the bloke who pretended to be Scottish to get on the X factor twice?
Oh yeah. I wonder what become of him...
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives with her two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

I don't have any regrets in reapplying so glad that I did it and even happier when I bagged the teapot !
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

In unrelated news, I've just found my long lost identical twin... ;)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Fiona T wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:02 am In unrelated news, I've just found my long lost identical twin... ;)
Did you go on holiday to find yourself 😊
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives with her two cats Freddie and Callie

Matt OConnor wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:29 pm I can confirm that I was not one of these culprits in case you were wondering ;) I was very clear on my application form for my second stint of my name change.
Steve Hyde wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:40 pm

In terms of this conversation in general, I consider myself very privileged to have had 2 stints on the show. Like a lot of people, I discovered Apterous after I had passed my initial audition in 2011, so I didn't have a lot of time to practise before filming. I was asked to be a standby contestant due to living close to the studios so I got on quite quickly; somehow I managed to win 5 shows but didn't make the finals. I was even invited back for a one off special the year after (which ended up being shown at 6am 2½ years later). At the time, I genuinely thought that was that for appearing on the show.

For me, the realisation that I could possibly be considered to go back on again was Zarte's reappearance, considering he had also won 5 shows and also didn't make the series finals. I decided to wait the official/unofficial 10 years until attempting so and just thought 'why not, they can only say No'. Just because Zarte had gone back on, I didn't have any expectation that I would be allowed back on too as I understood it's purely at the discretion of the CD crew. It took about 6 months between applying and getting an email inviting me for an audition, then being a standby contestant again and getting back on in Series 85. I almost lost my first game of my return, but thanks to spotting MALONATES in the last letters game (of which I learnt from Apterous of course) I won and ended up being the series runner-up, the icing on the cake was then to be asked back for CoC recently too.

I would say, I did put a lot of pressure on myself to do better second time round. I knew I was a better player, but it all depends who you are facing on the day. I remember during my Octorun checking all the names on the outside of the other dressing room doors to see if I recognised them from Apterous :lol:

For me personally, I feel very very lucky to have been on 19 shows of Countdown and I have memories that will last with me forever and I'm eternally grateful to Damian and the rest of the crew for allowing me to have another stint. They're all a friendly bunch and you really do feel welcomed into the Countdown family when you are there. I would encourage anyone who has been on before to apply, the worst that can happen is they say No.
You encouraged me have to another go at Countdown , I am so glad that I made that decision after you and others pushed me hard to reapply, David Barnard and you said I would smash it ! and I did exactly that ! As you have said in your thread Damian and company are really nice and always make you feel at ease, Nonetheless It is a great experience and I recommend it highly !
Last edited by Tracey Anne Mills on Mon May 08, 2023 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee

Philip A wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:52 am Trevor Montague appeared on Fifteen-to-One in 1990, and again in 1992 under a different name and while wearing a disguise. At the time losers couldn’t take part again. He was eventually sued after a viewer spotted his tactic on a Challenge repeat. He did the same tactic on The Krypton Factor but this wasn’t noticed.
Trevor Montague was on countdown in 1998

https://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_2219

https://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_2220
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Tracey Anne Mills wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:11 pm
Philip A wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:52 am Trevor Montague appeared on Fifteen-to-One in 1990, and again in 1992 under a different name and while wearing a disguise. At the time losers couldn’t take part again. He was eventually sued after a viewer spotted his tactic on a Challenge repeat. He did the same tactic on The Krypton Factor but this wasn’t noticed.
Trevor Montague was on countdown in 1998

https://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_2219

https://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_2220
I have a copy of his facts book, The A to Z of (Almost) Everything.
Series 78 Runner-up
Mark Ivey
Rookie

Post by Mark Ivey »

This month marks the tenth anniversary of my appearance on Countdown, and now I'm getting ready to reapply but also nervous for some reason. My first game was against an Octochamp and I didn't acquit myself as well as I feel I could have, and I don't want a repeat of that. AHH!