How do you absorb your literature?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

How do you absorb your literature?

Post by Marc Meakin »

As printed dictionaries versus on line content is a hot topic at the moment, I was curious as to whether forumites still read printed media and books.
I have migrated to audiobook now for the convenience.
I do have a kindle but seldom use it.
I tend to only read books bought for me nowadays
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Re: How do you absorb your literature?

Post by Ian Volante »

Got about two feet of books piled nearby to get through.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

If I'm going to buy a new book, I normally download the Kindle version the app on my phone and read it off there. I still read print books as well, but mainly for books I already own that I haven't got round to reading, or ones I get for presents.

I'm a terrible reader and will often get stuck in the same place for ages while my mind wanders. I think if I used audiobooks it would be a bit intense for me, and I'd have to keep stopping and rewinding. I also refer back to previous sections all the time by using the word search, which presumably wouldn't be possilbe with an audiobook. I like the idea, but I don't think they would suit me.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

I mostly try and find a pdf of the book I want to read nowadays and read it on my phone. If I can't get one, generally the electronic version anyway. I do like physical books but I do so much traveling with limited bag space that I don't want to sacrifice some to something I can do on my phone which I'll have with me all the time anyway.

Trying to read more this year since I rarely do anymore. Just about finishing my fifth novel this year so seems to be working. I churn through books if I have them on the go but I often don't think to start one.

Definitely can relate to the zoning out thing if I have something important on my mind but I'm working on getting inattentiveness dealt with anyway. With the amount of time I sit on public transport, I used to think audio books were the way but I find it a lot easier to just read.
cheers maus
Dan Byrom
Acolyte

Post by Dan Byrom »

I love reading. I split my time between kindle and physical. Physical is nicer but kindle allows for ease of travel which is important to me also.

I've tried a few audio books but they're just not right for me: (a) significantly slower, (b) mind wanders more easily meaning I will rewind or lose thread, (c) can listen to music while eye-reading.

I do enjoy spoken audio content, but will typically go for a podcast - I find mind wandering doesn't matter so much, and it works to fill dead time when doing laundry, cooking etc. without feeling the need to be committed to something long term or be fully focussed.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Dan Byrom wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:43 pm I love reading. I split my time between kindle and physical. Physical is nicer but kindle allows for ease of travel which is important to me also.

I've tried a few audio books but they're just not right for me: (a) significantly slower, (b) mind wanders more easily meaning I will rewind or lose thread, (c) can listen to music while eye-reading.

I do enjoy spoken audio content, but will typically go for a podcast - I find mind wandering doesn't matter so much, and it works to fill dead time when doing laundry, cooking etc. without feeling the need to be committed to something long term or be fully focussed.
You can speed audiobooks up on Xigxag
Dan Byrom
Acolyte

Post by Dan Byrom »

I think that I naturally read very fast but pause/slow down every so often to process, which is harder to replicate than just speeding up

Also, 2x speed is still slower than reading and faster than that sounds unpleasant to me.

Of course, this is just personal preference. Not trying to tell anyone else not to use audiobooks
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I watch a lot of YouTube videos on 2x by the way.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:13 pm I watch a lot of YouTube videos on 2x by the way.
Don't do that but I used to like to play singles at 33rpm (instead of 45 for those born this century) and vice versa for album tracks
I'm on Fire by Bruce Springsteen speeded up sounds like Dolly Parton.
Similarly, I Should Be So Lucky, slowed down sounds like Rick Astley.

Also fun fact, a US DJ played Jolene at the 33rpm speed and everyone assumed it was a re release.
Dolly Parton eventually recorded a slower version