Colin Murray’s future at Countdown

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Colin Murray’s future at Countdown

Post by Philip A »

Colin Murray will continue to host Countdown at least for the foreseeable future. According to The Times, he is contracted to stay on until March 2023, after originally staying on-screen until November 2022.

Nick Hewer has tweeted he is delighted that Murray has secured the seat and that Channel 4 does listen to the fans.
Series 78 Runner-up
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Re: Colin Murray’s future at Countdown

Post by Marc Meakin »

Won't the World Cup be a distraction for him?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

I just would have expected a heads up, that's all, didn't expect to have to be find out this way. Would have been the respectful thing to do, given howo far through the process I was.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Philip A wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:48 pm According to The Times, he is contracted to stay on until March 2023
#Deeks2023
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

#Deeks2023
One of da 'Muricans
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Reliably informed he is now contracted until December 2024. Fantastic.
Series 78 Runner-up
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

#Deeks2025
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Glad to see they've had a sensible pill, finally. This news is about 2 years overdue!
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Philip A wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:12 pm Reliably informed he is now contracted until December 2024. Fantastic.
This now may be an untruth as we learn who the actual presenter is this lunchtime. I only got this from a Wiki edit but couldn’t find any reliable sources.
Series 78 Runner-up
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

#Deeks2023
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

Philip A wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:48 am
Philip A wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:12 pm Reliably informed he is now contracted until December 2024. Fantastic.
This now may be an untruth as we learn who the actual presenter is this lunchtime. I only got this from a Wiki edit but couldn’t find any reliable sources.
"Reliably informed" from no "reliable sources"? ;)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Philip A wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:48 pm Nick Hewer has tweeted he is delighted that Murray has secured the seat and that Channel 4 does listen to the fans.
So you didn't see this tweet youself? Or was Nick hoodwinked as well? :lol:
Dan Byrom
Acolyte

Post by Dan Byrom »

Damien told me himself a couple of weeks ago on apto, and was happy to let me share it. 100% confirmed to stay for two more years
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Dan Byrom wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:54 am Damien told me himself a couple of weeks ago on apto, and was happy to let me share it. 100% confirmed to stay for two more years
Sounds like the announcement on Steph’s Packed Lunch is just a ratification, then. But sounds like good news.
Series 78 Runner-up
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

So… not “exclusively”, then?
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Yep, it’s definitely Colin Murray.
Series 78 Runner-up
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Philip A wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:33 pm Yep, it’s definitely Colin Murray.
Were you today's viewer?
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:38 pm
Philip A wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:33 pm Yep, it’s definitely Colin Murray.
Were you today's viewer?
I was watching it live. Colin Murray wore a wig, took it off and then messed up Steph’s sofa!
Series 78 Runner-up
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Apt that this was made official on Rachel Riley’s birthday.
Series 78 Runner-up
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Now we have Colin permanant, wouldn't it be good if the slot was moved to 3 or even 4 o'clock
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Marc Meakin wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:19 pm Now we have Colin permanant, wouldn't it be good if the slot was moved to 3 or even 4 o'clock
Might be wise to keep it out of competition against the likes of ITV 3-6 pm.
Series 78 Runner-up
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:19 pm Now we have Colin permanant, wouldn't it be good if the slot was moved to 3 or even 4 o'clock
I consider 4:30 to be the traditional time for 9-round Countdown and 4:15 for 15-rounders.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:21 pm
I consider 4:30 to be the traditional time for 9-round Countdown and 4:15 for 15-rounders.
Fuck it let's make Countdown an hour long.
18 rounders maybe 2 x 9 rounders as it were
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Countdown could even go to 4:45 or 5:00 and go up against The Chase and Pointless. The 2:10 timeslot has *never* worked, in my view.

Furthermore I can imagine Channel 4 asking Countdown to move to 30 minutes or 1 hour, there’s very few 45-minute shows these days. But that’s another discussion.

The simple fact is Channel 4 don’t really care about the show and are just content to let it dribble along. It’s cheap to make, it fills time for them, and it would be a PR disaster if they got rid of it. Much like Doctor Who in the 80s, it’s a political prisoner: too annoying to live, too difficult to kill.

There is a huge iceberg coming down the road in this situation, which is when Damian stops producing it - they’d better have a successor in place, or else it’ll suffer the fate Doctor Who did in 1989, when it was only eventually cancelled because they couldn’t find someone to succeed John Nathan-Turner as producer.
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:18 pm There is a huge iceberg coming down the road in this situation, which is when Damian stops producing it - they’d better have a successor in place, or else it’ll suffer the fate Doctor Who did in 1989, when it was only eventually cancelled because they couldn’t find someone to succeed John Nathan-Turner as producer.
Fear not Rhys, there are loads of people who can do better, many of whom are on here :lol:
In all seriousness though, if i did ever leave, they'd be foolish to just replace me with an ordinary tv producer. You have to 'feel' the show, love it, know it, be one of 'us', if that makes sense. You either have the game and show coursing your veins or you don't. It's different from almost all the others things out there. I'm 53 and was toying with calling it a day at 55, so who knows. It's not a job, it's a way of life really and i'd miss it too much at the moment, but who knows?
Also, i get married in April, so i'll need to keep working to help towards the plastic surgery bills. 8-)
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Countdown Team wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:49 pm Also, i get married in April, so i'll need to keep working to help towards the plastic surgery bills. 8-)
Good luck with the wedding! :)
Series 78 Runner-up
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Countdown Team wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:49 pm
Rhys Benjamin wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:18 pm There is a huge iceberg coming down the road in this situation, which is when Damian stops producing it - they’d better have a successor in place, or else it’ll suffer the fate Doctor Who did in 1989, when it was only eventually cancelled because they couldn’t find someone to succeed John Nathan-Turner as producer.
Fear not Rhys, there are loads of people who can do better, many of whom are on here :lol:
In all seriousness though, if i did ever leave, they'd be foolish to just replace me with an ordinary tv producer. You have to 'feel' the show, love it, know it, be one of 'us', if that makes sense. You either have the game and show coursing your veins or you don't. It's different from almost all the others things out there. I'm 53 and was toying with calling it a day at 55, so who knows. It's not a job, it's a way of life really and i'd miss it too much at the moment, but who knows?
Also, i get married in April, so i'll need to keep working to help towards the plastic surgery bills. 8-)
Oh congrats!!! Great news!
Steve Hyde
Acolyte

Post by Steve Hyde »

Countdown Team wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:49 pm Also, i get married in April, so i'll need to keep working to help towards the plastic surgery bills. 8-)
Congratulations!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I know we're supposed to hate each other but congratulations.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Countdown Team wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:49 pm
Exactly - finding someone to produce the show after you will be tough for all the reasons you mention. (Edit: if I lose my job at the general election, I will duly write in...)

Add my congrats on the wedding.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

TTT
FACTFILE : Stare at the elevator, it makes you look better.
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives with her two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Steve Hyde wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:19 pm
Congratulations!
Best of Luck !
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Thanks everyone ;)
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Prediction: Colin Murray will be host by 2040. A fine presenter who’s getting better all the time.
Series 78 Runner-up
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

He's already host, so yes he made it to being host by 2040!