Next Champion of Champions series

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jack Neal
Rookie

Re: Next Champion of Champions series

Post by Jack Neal »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:38 pm This is Countdown Team's fault for leaking it to the contestants, That was a silly thing to do.
If they wanted it secret they should have kept it PROPERLY secret.
Yes. I know it contains an Octochamp whose run has yet to air... but it will probably be published here early anyway.
You can't put the genie back in the bottle.
Do you have it or not?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:38 pm This is Countdown Team's fault for leaking it to the contestants, That was a silly thing to do.
If they wanted it secret they should have kept it PROPERLY secret.
Yes. I know it contains an Octochamp whose run has yet to air... but it will probably be published here early anyway.
You can't put the genie back in the bottle.
If the draw includes an octochamp whose run has yet to air, then it would be a spoiler for future shows and it shouldn't be made public at all IMO, at least until that player's run is completed.

What's so unusual about contestants being given non-public information in advance? They're trusted not to spoil it. Anyone who has ever attended a Countdown recording, as contestant or +1, has had to keep results private until broadcast. Contestants even have to sign an agreement that says they won't reveal anything about yet-to-be-aired shows, so I'd advise CoC contestants keep the draw to themselves if the presence of a player in it would be a spoiler for episodes not yet shown.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:10 pm The draw for this has been leaked.
One anyone care to publish it, or shall I do the honours?
If one of the contestants has put it in the public domain, then link to it by all means.

If a contestant has told you in confidence, or one of the people they have confided in in confidence has told you (presumably in confidence unless they said "feel free to share") then it would be a pretty shitty thing to publish it - worst case scenario could cost the leaky contestant their place. I've no idea whether contestants were told it was confidential, but I'd assume it is down to Damian to share the details if and when he is ready.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

CD Team would never have any sure way of getting the leaky contestant to own up to it, unless they voluntarily came forward. But if the potential consequences would be losing their spot, who would bother being that honest, when they have nothing to gain and everything to lose?

Yes, I know the draw now. It was shared, but the person who shared it did not say it was secret and did not ask me to keep it secret... so there's no real reason why I should. However, as tempted as I am to share it... I'll wait until it turns up publicly somewhere else first (I expect anonymously on Digital Spy or similar) In the meantime, if someone wants it, I am willing to share it privately with you, only if an understanding is in place that you promise not to be the one to publish it.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Graeme Cole wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:15 pm What's so unusual about contestants being given non-public information in advance? They're trusted not to spoil it. Anyone who has ever attended a Countdown recording, as contestant or +1, has had to keep results private until broadcast.
In this case, because sharing it with them was dumb as fuck.
There is no need for them to know who they are playing till they get to Salford to record. With recordings, where people have to remain quiet till broadcast... they HAVE TO know the spoilers, because they happened to them in real life. With this draw, there is absolutely no reason for it to have been shared with so many people. It is just begging to be leaked. But maybe they wanted the drama of fake secrecy and leaks etc. to add to the pre-show drama? idk
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:36 pm
Yes, I know the draw now. It was shared, but the person who shared it did not say it was secret and did not ask me to keep it secret... so there's no real reason why I should.
But they shared it privately? I assume private stuff is not for me to publish publicly unless I ask the person who shared if they're OK with it. If you do that, and they are, then knock yerself out.
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Yeah I have no idea who the hell would share the draws and tell you to go out telling everyone. No real reason if the show's gonna reveal it themselves. Plus, I took advantage of the private disclosing and I wanted to hear solely the people that were participating. Leaving the draw as a surprise still holds curiosity to me and I recommend others wanting that feeling to do the same if you ever find yourself in that spot. But overall, if something you know is meant to be hush hush, you keep that shit hush hush unless told otherwise. Looks like in this case they didn't say jack on that subject, so for now I say just keep it confidential.
One of da 'Muricans
Jack Neal
Rookie

Post by Jack Neal »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:40 pm
Graeme Cole wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:15 pm What's so unusual about contestants being given non-public information in advance? They're trusted not to spoil it. Anyone who has ever attended a Countdown recording, as contestant or +1, has had to keep results private until broadcast.
In this case, because sharing it with them was dumb as fuck.
There is no need for them to know who they are playing till they get to Salford to record. With recordings, where people have to remain quiet till broadcast... they HAVE TO know the spoilers, because they happened to them in real life. With this draw, there is absolutely no reason for it to have been shared with so many people. It is just begging to be leaked. But maybe they wanted the drama of fake secrecy and leaks etc. to add to the pre-show drama? idk
Damian could have told everybody who they are playing but not the full draw. So he could have said: Elliott you're playing xxxxxx, Dinos you're playing xxxxxx etc in private.
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Enthusiast

Post by Sam Cappleman-Lynes »

Maybe my use of language is out of touch, but there are two things that have so far been described as a "leak" in this thread

1) The draw being given to the contestants themselves
2) A contestant revealing information about the draw privately (and therefore in implied confidence)

Am I alone in thinking that it's strange to call either of these things a "leak"?
Steve Hyde
Acolyte

Post by Steve Hyde »

Sam Cappleman-Lynes wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:32 am Maybe my use of language is out of touch, but there are two things that have so far been described as a "leak" in this thread

1) The draw being given to the contestants themselves
2) A contestant revealing information about the draw privately (and therefore in implied confidence)

Am I alone in thinking that it's strange to call either of these things a "leak"?
Agreed. I assumed "leaked" meant it was already in the public domain somewhere, e.g. accidentally published on social media
Jack Neal
Rookie

Post by Jack Neal »

So the fulllist of participants in no particular order are:
Florence Cappleman Lynes
Leo Smith
Elliott Mellor
Dinos Sfyris
Ahmed Mohamed
Adam Latchford
Stu Harkness
James Haughton
Luke Johnson-Davies
Martin May
Dan Byrom
Steve Hyde
Matt O'Connor
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
????
????

The 2 question marks are 2 people who's runs are yet to air and I don't want to spoil it for those of you who don't want spoilers 😀. I have the draw but I don't intend to publish it.
Last edited by Jack Neal on Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam S Latchford
Acolyte

Post by Adam S Latchford »

Jack Neal wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:48 am So the fulllist of participants in no particular order are:
Florence Cappleman Lynes
Leo Smith
Elliott Mellor
Dinos Sfyris
Ahmed Mohamed
Adam Latchford
Stu Harkness
James Burley
Luke Johnson-Davies
Martin May
Dan Byrom
Steve Hyde
Matt O'Connor
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
????
????

The 2 question marks are 2 people who's runs are yet to air and I don't want to spoil it for those of you who don't want spoilers 😀. I have the draw but I don't intend to publish it.
Good to know there are false draws that exist then as this is not correct :-)
Jack Neal
Rookie

Post by Jack Neal »

Adam S Latchford wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:53 am
Jack Neal wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:48 am So the fulllist of participants in no particular order are:
Florence Cappleman Lynes
Leo Smith
Elliott Mellor
Dinos Sfyris
Ahmed Mohamed
Adam Latchford
Stu Harkness
James Burley
Luke Johnson-Davies
Martin May
Dan Byrom
Steve Hyde
Matt O'Connor
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
????
????

Good to know there are false draws that exist then as this is not correct :-)
So L'oisleatch has given me false info :o :o :o :o ?
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Methinks someone has been trolling the trolls
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Fiona T wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:23 am Methinks someone has been trolling the trolls
Trollception?
One of da 'Muricans
Jack Neal
Rookie

Post by Jack Neal »

The info I was given WAS correct it's been confirmed by Steve Hyde. I just made a mistake with the list.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Re: Next Champion of Champions series ***SPOILER ALERT***

Adam S Latchford wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:53 am Good to know there are false draws that exist then as this is not correct :-)
Well if that's the case I will publish what I've been given in full...

According to my sources this is the draw:-

1. Florence ~vs~ Leo
2. Elliott ~vs~ Dinos
3. Ahmed ~vs~ Eddy
4. Tom ~vs~ Adam
5. Stu ~vs~ James
6. Luke JD ~vs~ Martin
7. Dan ~vs~ Steve
8. Matt ~vs~ Sam

I have to assume with the winner of #1 playing the winner of #2, etc.
Last edited by L'oisleatch McGraw on Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Neal
Rookie

Post by Jack Neal »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:52 pm
Adam S Latchford wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:53 am Good to know there are false draws that exist then as this is not correct :-)
Well if that's the case I will publish what I've been given in full...

According to my sources this is the draw:-

1. Florence ~vs~ Leo
2. Elliott ~vs~ Dinos
3. Ahmed ~vs~ Eddy
4. Tom ~vs~ Adam
5. Stu ~vs~ James
6. Luke JD ~vs~ Martin
7. Dan ~vs~ Steve
8. Matt ~vs~ Sam

I have to assume with the winner of #1 playing the winner of #2, etc.
Surnames please?

Also can someone confirm this is legit?
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Adam says it's not legit, so for that reason it's fine for publication.
Fans are allowed speculate and make "fake" (but, let's face it - probably real ;) ) lists.
Jack Neal
Rookie

Post by Jack Neal »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:06 pm Adam says it's not legit, so for that reason it's fine for publication.
Fans are allowed speculate and make "fake" (but, let's face it - probably real ;) ) lists.
Steve Hyde confirmed to me in private the draw is real.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Looking at the list it seems we have the following number of contestants per series:

Series 79: 1
Series 80: 2
Series 81: 0
Series 82: 3
Series 83: 2
Series 84: 3
Series 85: 3
Series 86: 2

Why 0 from series 81? Also, some specific omissions stick out, although it may have been due to availability. Mike Daysley (who I think it was said wasn't invited), Luke Boynton and the entirety of series 80 (so James Haughton and Jamie Wing mainly) are the obvious stand-outs.

It could be genuine or it could be that Ashton Hancock completely forgot about series 81 and cobbled the rest together from what he'd heard.

Edit - Well it seems Adam has confirmed it's not genuine anyway.
Jack Neal
Rookie

Post by Jack Neal »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:08 pm Looking at the list it seems we have the following number of contestants per series:

Series 79: 1
Series 80: 2
Series 81: 0
Series 82: 3
Series 83: 2
Series 84: 3
Series 85: 3
Series 86: 2

Why 0 from series 81? Also, some specific omissions stick out, although it may have been due to availability. Mike Daysley (who I think it was said wasn't invited), Luke Boynton and the entirety of series 80 (so James Haughton and Jamie Wing mainly) are the obvious stand-outs.

It could be genuine or it could be that Ashton Hancock completely forgot about series 81 and cobbled the rest together from what he'd heard.
Maybey the James is Haughton NOT Burley.
Jack Neal
Rookie

Post by Jack Neal »

Last edited by Jack Neal on Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I think that was intentional.
Jack Neal
Rookie

Post by Jack Neal »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:13 pm I think that was intentional.
Oh sorry. The list is legit I just made a mistake!
Jack Neal
Rookie

Post by Jack Neal »

Jack Neal wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:12 pm 1. Florence ~vs~ Leo
2. Elliott ~vs~ Dinos
3. Ahmed ~vs~ Eddy
4. Tom ~vs~ Adam
5. Stu ~vs~ James
6. Luke JD ~vs~ Martin
7. Dan ~vs~ Steve
8. Matt ~vs~ Sam

No one could see it on you're post Eoin!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jack Neal wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:14 pm
What was the mistake?
Jack Neal
Rookie

Post by Jack Neal »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:16 pm
Jack Neal wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:14 pm
What was the mistake?
I put Burley instead of Haughton. Sorted now!
Last edited by Jack Neal on Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

The state of this thread :D
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Yeah. It's become quite fun now.
I'm guessing this is precisely what CD Team were hoping for when they decided to 'share it privately' with the contestants... or "Leaky Latchford & Co", as they should now probably be dubbed! :mrgreen:
Last edited by L'oisleatch McGraw on Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Harrison
Rookie

Post by Carl Harrison »

So, ignoring series 86 we have mainly all series finalists except 3, with 3 semi-finalists instead.

It seems really shoddy treatment for Mike D not to be invited after winning his series (as no 2 seed), very odd. I wonder if the other two finalists who aren’t returning (Jamie W and Luke B) were invited and just declined?

The 3 semi-finalists who have made it are probably all fair enough - one no 2 and two no 3 seeds - James Burley is probably most unlucky of the rest (as a no 2 seed).

I presume there will be a travelling reserve in case someone doesn’t show up or has to drop out - any idea who that is?

Have the series 86 finals been filmed yet or have they just invited the top 2 current seeds? - would be a shame if someone else wins the current series and doesn’t get an invite to this.

Should all be a good spectacle though, good luck to everyone involved.
James Nguyen
Rookie

Post by James Nguyen »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:30 pm "Leaky Latchford & Co"
Lmao
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Carl Harrison wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:57 pm I presume there will be a travelling reserve in case someone doesn’t show up or has to drop out - any idea who that is?
Yeah, I've been asked to be a reserve (not confirmed yet whether "travelling"?) I believe at least two others declined before I was asked, but delighted to be involved even if I'm very unlikely to play - I hope all 16 are fit and well :) I haven't been provided with the draw though so can't confirm/deny the above!
Jack Neal
Rookie

Post by Jack Neal »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:30 pm Yeah. It's become quite fun now.
I'm guessing this is precisely what CD Team were hoping for when they decided to 'share it privately' with the contestants... or "Leaky Latchford & Co", as they should now probably be dubbed! :mrgreen:
Coral Heath is also unlucky not to get the nod.
Steve Hyde
Acolyte

Post by Steve Hyde »

Well, this has completely ruined all my plans to reveal the participants via a series of cryptic tweeted anagrams. The world will never need to know who Pammy-Anne Scalpels is
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Great to see Dinos in the mix :)
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Fiona T wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:11 am
Carl Harrison wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:57 pm I presume there will be a travelling reserve in case someone doesn’t show up or has to drop out - any idea who that is?
Yeah, I've been asked to be a reserve (not confirmed yet whether "travelling"?) I believe at least two others declined before I was asked, but delighted to be involved even if I'm very unlikely to play - I hope all 16 are fit and well :) I haven't been provided with the draw though so can't confirm/deny the above!
That's great news! Obviously I wouldn't want to wish any of the contestants are unable to play but it's be great if you got the chance to play! Have fun there :)
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Jack Neal
Rookie

Post by Jack Neal »

Take it Luke declined.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Fiona T wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:11 am Yeah, I've been asked to be a reserve
Congrats!
If you get to play it will be quite the coup given that you're at best 30th in line for one of 16 places! :shock:
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:35 pm
Congrats!
If you get to play it will be quite the coup given that you're at best 30th in line for one of 16 places! :shock:
Just call me Holly Willoughby :lol:
Jack Neal
Rookie

Post by Jack Neal »

Fiona T wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:22 am
L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:35 pm
Congrats!
Just call me Holly Willoughby :lol:
Hilarious! That did pee me off abit!
Jack Neal
Rookie

Re: Next Champion of Champions series *contains S86 spoilers*

Post by Jack Neal »

C of C FIXTURES

Here is the schedule for CoC XVI:

(Click on 'reply to post' button to see full fixtures)

1. FLORENCE CAPPLEMAN-LYNES V LEO SMITH (2/1/23)
2. ELLIOTT MELLOR V DINOS SFYRIS (3/1/23)
3. AHMED MOHAMED V EDDY BYRNE (4/1/23)
4. TOM STEPHENSON V ADAM LATCHFORD (5/1/23)
5. STU HARKNESS V JAMES HAUGHTON (6/1/23)

6. LUKE JOHNSON-DAVIES V MARTIN MAY (9/1/23)
7. DAN BYROM V STEVE HYDE (10/1/23)
8. MATT O'CONNOR V SAM CAPPLEMAN-LYNES (11/1/23)

9. WINNER GAME 1 V WINNER GAME 8 (12/1/23)
10. WINNER GAME 2 V WINNER GAME 7 (13/1/23)

11. WINNER GAME 3 V WINNER GAME 6 (16/1/23)
12. WINNER GAME 4 V WINNER GAME 5 (17/1/23)
13. WINNER GAME 9 V WINNER GAME 12 (18/1/23)
14. WINNER GAME 10 V WINNER GAME 11 (19/1/23)
15. WINNER GAME 13 V WINNER GAME 14 (20/1/23)

Reserve: Fiona Titcombe

This is based on the structure of the last CoC in 2019.

Anyone unable to take part will be replaced, with Fiona replacing them in the same fixture.

This also means a 'Cappleman-Lynes off' is possible in the Quarter-Finals - this is gunna make some f*cking good telivision.😀😜
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

Post by Ronan M Higginson »

Oh Ashton give it a rest :roll:
Phil Hulme

Post by Phil Hulme »

Ian Volante wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:00 am I'm disappointed not to get through the entire run of dodgy shirts. Also, I've got long blue hair now. Maybe this would be more interesting than all these geeky mathsy types.
Ian,
I’ve imagined this notional trophy to share among those contestants not selected for the CofC.

Set on a tanzanite plinth, its form is in the manner of Spock’s Vulcan salute and, appropriately, it is made from pure vulcanite. Inscribed on the base in aerial font are the words, ‘Give them wings and they will fly’.

Enjoy!
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Good luck to everyone filming this week, and don't forget to have fun. I have very fond memories of the last CoC as one of the best times I've had in this community so hope this CoC is just as enjoyable for everyone involved. Be excellent to one another!
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

I have put a blue streak in my hair as a tribute to MrV.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Fiona T wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:40 am I have put a blue streak in my hair as a tribute to MrV.
You need to play SOUTANE a few times as well :)
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

It’ll be interesting to see what conundrums have been chosen for this Championship. I think there’ll be some non-Ascension ones.
Series 78 Runner-up
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Or maybe they'll troll us again with all -INGs except in the final
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Courtesy of Steve Hyde as posted in that awful Countdowners Facebook group...

Championship of Champions XVI – Meet the Contestants

Now that we know the identity of the series 86 finals, we can finally reveal the lineup for January's Championship of Champions! Note: if you haven't seen today's episode and don't want to know who the finalists are, stop reading when you reach the Series 86 heading.
Let's have your predictions in the comments!

Series 79
Martin May (#1 seed, runner-up)
Octototal: 839
High score: 117
Martin has made three separate appearances on the show, winning 15 preliminary episodes on total, more than any other contestant in Countdown history.

Series 80
Elliott Mellor (#1 seed, runner-up)
Octototal: 1061
High score: 152
Elliott holds the record for the all-time highest octototal and all-time largest winning margin (133 points, in a 143-10 victory). His total of 317 points from 32 numbers rounds is the highest ever. His high score of 152 is the second highest of all time, having recently been overtaken by Tom Stevenson.

Dinos Sfyris (#2 seed, winner)
Octototal: 918
High score: 137
Dinos’s appearance in this championship will make him just the second contestant, after Countdown GOAT Connor Travers, to appear with four different presenters, with Colin Murray joining Des O’Connor, Jeff Stelling and Nick Hewer.

Series 81
James Haughton (#1 seed, winner)
Octototal: 958
High score: 147
James scored 11 centuries on his run to the series 81 championship, and was one dodgy pluralised word away from an all-time record score (a declaration of SAILINGS instead of SAILING in his quarter final would have given him 155 points).

Series 82
Luke Johnson-Davies (#1 seed, winner)
Octototal: 1024
High score: 143
Luke was the first contestant ever to spot a 9-letter word in all 8 of his heat games. He was the first contestant to score more than 125 points in 4 consecutive games, and delivered a max game in his series quarter final. His 11-game points total of 1384 is the highest in Countdown history. He comes into this championship having found the longest possible word in his last 31 letters rounds.

Sam Cappleman-Lynes (#2 seed, runner-up)
Octototal: 939
High score: 124
Sam is one of the most consistent scorers in Countdown history, scoring between 110 and 124 in his first 10 episodes. He reduced opponent Bernie Kingston to what was at the time the lowest ever Countdown score, beating him by 117 points to 5.

Leo Smith (#3 seed, semi-finalist)
Octototal: 869
High score: 126
Leo’s first victory came against Martyn Simpson, the highest-scoring non-octochamp in the show’s history. Memorably, it was the crucial conundrum of SLEAZYNOB that gave him the win.

Series 83
Adam Latchford (#3 seed, winner)
Octototal: 732
High score: 115
Don’t let the modest octototal fool you – as anyone who has seen his Apto stats, Co:event performances and contributions know, Adam is a serious competitor. The only stat that matters is “Series victories: 1”, with his defeat of Luke Boynton being one of the show’s biggest upsets. The first game of his octorun was won with a 29-second buzz on a crucial conundrum, but he wound up as the last ever contestant to take home a 20-volume dictionary as a series winner’s prize.

Series 84
Ahmed Mohamed (#1 seed, winner)
Octototal: 927
Ahmed has the highest ever Octototal from a run that involved a crucial conundrum. In his quarter-final, he was an unsolved conundrum away from setting a new record for highest score. His laid-back demeanour and frequently astonishing word declarations made him one of the most popular contestants of recent years.

Florence Cappleman-Lynes (#3 seed, runner-up)
Octototal: 860
High score: 124
Florence was the first octochamp of the Anne Robinson era, and has the longest name of any Octochamp in Countdown’s history. She was the first female contestant ever to solve all 8 conundrums in her heat games.

Stu Harkness (#2 seed, semi-finalist)
Octototal: 886
High score: 148
Stu’s score of 148 on his first appearance is the highest ever by a challenger. He is carrying the weight of Scotland’s expectations into this championship. His appearance in this championship will make him the first contestant to appear with three different presenters (O'Connor, Robinson, Murray) and three different arithmeticians (Vorderman, Riley, Imafidon).

Series 85
Dan Byrom (#1 seed, winner)
Octototal: 967
High Score: 140
Dan holds the record for the highest ever debut score with 140 (Stu Harkness’s 148 wasn’t technically his debut, as it was his second run on the show). His octototal is identical to that of reigning Champion of Champions Zarte Siempre.

Matt O’Connor (#2 seed, runner-up)
Octototal: 949
High Score: 139
Matt reduced two separate opponents to single-digit scores during his octorun, while a third opponent, Liam Moss, recorded the lowest ever score by someone who spotted two nines (78). He is reportedly Rachel Riley's favourite contestant.

Steve Hyde (#3 seed, semi-finalist)
Octototal: 806
High score: 121
Steve was the 100th member of the 800 club. He has completed more letters rounds (133) than any other contestant in history without spotting a 9-letter word. He is the only contestant in this CoC cohort who appeared on Countdown during the Richard Whiteley era, making his debut way back in 2004.

Series 86
Tom Stevenson (#1 seed, winner)
Octototal: 1000
High score: 154
Tom holds the record for the highest Countdown score of all time, delivering a perfect game to record a score of 154. Tom scored points in all 120 rounds of his octorun (as well as all 15 rounds of his quarter- and semi-final), a feat never before achieved – not only did he match or beat his opponent every time, he solved all of the conundrums, never declared an invalid word, and never “lost it” on a numbers round. He has the most satisfying octototal ever recorded. Although he lost a round in the final, he did manage to sneak in one final record, with his 30th-second buzz making him the first player in history to solve all 11 conundrums.

Edward Byrne (#2 seed, runner-up)
Octototal: 969
Ed was the last and highest-scoring octochamp of the Anne Robinson era. He is comfortably the highest-scoring #2 seed of all time, and the highest-scoring Irish contestant. He is the only player ever to win a round against Tom Stevenson!
This CoC cohort have collectively won more teapots (21) than any other field in the show’s history - Steve, Martin, Dinos, Ed and Matt have two each. Three of the contestants (Stu, Dinos and Martin) made their first appearance in Series 57, making it jointly the most well-represented series in the competition.

Tune in from January 2nd to see how it plays out!
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:30 pm Yeah. It's become quite fun now.
Oh absolutely. :?
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:45 pm Or maybe they'll troll us again with all -INGs except in the final
Out of interest I had a browse through that. Episode 1331 contains

25 5 2 6 3 6 → 682
CV: 681 Best: 682 = (6 + 3) × 6 ÷ 2 × 25 + 5 + 2

I think 682 = (5 x 6 - 2) x 25 - 3 x 6 is better, seeing as it only uses each of the numbers once.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

David Williams wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:01 pm
Johnny Canuck wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:45 pm Or maybe they'll troll us again with all -INGs except in the final
Out of interest I had a browse through that. Episode 1331 contains

25 5 2 6 3 6 → 682
CV: 681 Best: 682 = (6 + 3) × 6 ÷ 2 × 25 + 5 + 2

I think 682 = (5 x 6 - 2) x 25 - 3 x 6 is better, seeing as it only uses each of the numbers once.
Fixed.

I think what happened there is that whoever wikified this game from Mike Brown's notes copied Mike's own 682 attempt, but didn't see that Mike had added that it was invalid.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

The CoCXVI gets underway later today. It is set to be a brilliant competition and a set of must watch CD games on our TVs over the next few weeks. These are the matches we can expect to see.

1. Florence CL ~vs~ Leo S
2. Elliott M ~vs~ Dinos S
3. Ahmed M ~vs~ Eddy B
4. Tom S ~vs~ Adam L
5. Stu H ~vs~ James H
6. Luke JD ~vs~ Martin M
7. Dan B ~vs~ Steve H
8. Matt O'C ~vs~ Sam CL

Then it proceeds mathematically with Winner #1 playing winner #8, and so on.

From this, one finalist should come from TOP HALF:-
Florence, Leo, Matt, Sam, Tom, Adam, Stu, James.

The second finalist should come from BOTTOM HALF:-
Elliott, Dinos, Dan, Steve, Ahmed, Eddy, Luke.

----------------------------------------------------

According to their TV Octorun performances, the players should be seeded as follows:-
1. Elliott Mellor (bottom) (All-time top 10 player)
2. Eddy Byrne (bottom) (All-time top 10 player)
3. Tom Stevenson (top) (All-time top 10 player)
4. Ahmed Mohammed (bottom) (All-time top 25 player)
5. Luke Johnson-Davies (bottom) (All-time top 25 player)
6. Sam Cappleman-Lynes (top) (All-time top 25 player)
7. Dan Byrom (bottom) (All-time top 50 player)
8. Matt O'Connor (top) (All-time top 50 player)
9. James Haughton (top) (All-time top 50 player)
10. Dinos Sfyris (bottom) (All-time top 50 player)
11. Florence Cappleman-Lynes (top) (All-time top 100 player)
12. Leo Smith (top) (All-time top 100 player)
13. Stu Harkness (top) (All-time top 200 player)
14. Martin May (bottom) (All-time top 200 player)
15. Steve Hyde (bottom) (All-time top 250 player)
16. Adam Latchford (top) (All-time top 500 player)

However, if you factor in other metrics, such as their actual performance in the series finals, and their recent form (based on Apterous and co-events), you get a more realistic seeding as follows:-

1. Ahmed Mohammed (bottom)
2. Sam Cappleman-Lynes (top)
3. Elliott Mellor (bottom)
4. Tom Stevenson (top)
5. Eddy Byrne (bottom)
6. Luke Johnson-Davies (bottom)
7. Florence Cappleman-Lynes (top)
8. Dan Byrom (bottom)
9. Dinos Sfyris (bottom)
10. Matt O'Connor (top)
11. James Haughton (top)
12. Stu Harkness (top)
13. Leo Smith (top)
14. Martin May (bottom)
15. Steve Hyde (bottom)
16. Adam Latchford (top)

----------------------------------------------------
If we look at the 4 semi final spots, we have the following people competing for the slots
Semi Final slot #1
Sam, (#2 seed)
Florence, (#9 seed)
Matt, (#10 seed)
Leo, (#13 seed)
Semi Final slot #2
Tom, (#4 seed)
James, (#11 seed)
Stu, (#12 seed)
Adam, (#16 seed)
Semi Final slot #3
Elliott, (#3 seed)
Dan, (#8 seed)
Dinos, (#9 seed)
Steve, (#15 seed)
Semi Final slot #4
Ahmed, (#1 seed)
Eddy, (#5 seed)
Luke, (#6 seed)
Martin, (#14 seed)
So, as you can see, the BOTTOM half is slightly stronger. 5 of the ones talented enough (on paper) to reach the QFs are in that half. You’ll notice that the contest for Semi Final slot 4 will be the toughest. Most difficult potential path to the final goes to Eddy and Ahmed, who are set to face one of the 6 best players in every round they play.
However, unlike with the previous CoC which placed the top 6 seeds in the same half... this one cannot be accused of putting the "real final" in RD1 (i.e. Zarte vs Paul from 2019)
I dunno if it was by design, or merely coincidental, but either way, it is a big thumbs up from me on the curation of the draw. It is mathematically possible that #1. #2. #3. and #4. will all meet in the Semi Finals, so, from that perspective, the draw has done its job successfully!
This CoC spans 8 series! That has not been done before. In the days of Richard Whitely and Carol Vorderman (aka the golden age of Countdown) a Championship of Champions took place after every 4 series. It would feature the semi-finalists from each of those editions, plus a QFist ir two thrown in if one of the other players was unavailable. Obviously that was the best way to do it, and there’s no good reason why it isn’t still done that way today.
CoC fell out of favour for a while, and only got revived after the 30th birthday championship. In this new era, the custom was to arrange a CoC after 6 series, consisting -depending on availability- of the 12 finalists and 4 select SFists. This is the first time they extended it to 8 series. Let’s take a look at the massive pool of 66 finalists and Octochamps from which CD Team had to draw on for this tournament. Who got left out? Who is lucky to be there?

-----------------------
List by max percentage…
[S80] Elliott Mellor. (#1. GF. 1061pts)
[S86] Eddy Byrne. (#2. GF. 969pts)
[S86] Tom Stevenson. (#1. W. 1000pts)
[S84] Ahmed Mohamed. (#1. W. 927pts)
[S82] Luke Johnson-Davies. (#1. W. 1024pts)
[S82] Sam Cappleman-Lynes. (#2. GF. 939pts)
[S83] Luke Boynton. (#1. GF. 1032pts)
[S85] Dan Byrom (#1. W. 967pts)
[S85] Matt (Croy) O’Connor. (#2. GF. 949pts)
[S81] James Haughton. (#1. W. 958pts)
[S80] Dinos Sfyris. (#2. W. 918pts)
[S84] Florence Cappleman-Lynes. (#3. GF. 860pts)
[S81] Jamie Wing. (#2. GF. 899pts)
[S82] Leo Smith. (#3. SF. 869pts)
[S80] Brendan Whitehurst. (#3. SF. 821pts)
[S84] Stu Harkness. (#2. SF. 886pts)
[S82] Ian Volante. (#4. SF. 826pts)
[S81] Paul Nixon. (#3. SF. 893pts)
[S79] Martin May. (#1. GF. 839pts)
[S80] Maggie Barlow. (#4. SF. 794pts)
[S79] Mike Daysley. (#2. W. 786pts)
[S82] Phil Hulme. (#6. QF. 789pts)
[S86] Joe Dobinson. (#5. SF. 794pts)
[S86] Quinn Bartlett. (#3. SF. 846pts)
[S85] Steve Hyde. (#3. SF. 806pts)
[S79] Andrew Jackson. (#3. QF. 764pts)
[S82] Ryan Styles. (#5. QF. 820pts)
[S86] Alan Coach Young. (#4. QF. 806pts)
[S81] Andy Evans. (#5. QF. 750pts)
[S81] Morgan Sauer. (#4. SF. 775pts)
[S83] James Burley. (#2. SF. 819pts)
[S79] Bob Lunt. (#8. QF. 726pts)
[S85] Adrian Fletcher. (#5. QF. 757pts)
[S83] Louis Ross. (#4. SF. 738pts)
[S85] Ryan Carlsen. (#4. SF. 778pts)
[S79] Robin Johnson. (#4? WD. 745pts)
[S82] Damien Doughty. (#7. QF. 758pts)
[S85] Craig Fawcett. (#8. QF. 581pts)
[S79] Tony Manwani. (#5. SF. 715pts)
[S79] Dave Ashton. (#4. QF. 739pts)
[S86] Daren Barnes. (#6. QF. 719pts)
[S84] Roddie Bell. (#7. QF. 575pts)
[S84] Jeremy Slaney. (#4. SF. 741pts)
[S85] Ronan Mackrory. (#6. QF. 738pts)
[S86] Steven Etherington. (#7. QF. 645+pts)
[S83] Coral Heath. (#5. QF. 717pts)
[S83] Adam Latchford. (#3. W. 732pts)
[S84] Jasamrit Rahala. (#6. QF. 727pts)
[S84] Janet Noe. (#8. QF. 538pts)
[S79] Alan Duval. (#6. SF. 674pts)
[S85] Dan Hall. (#7. QF. 711pts)
[S81] Tom Silverlock. (#7. QF. 704pts)
[S80] Fiona Titcombe. (#5. QF. 720pts)
[S82] David Kempshall. (#8. QF. 732pts)
[S81] David Law. (#8. QF. 700pts)
[S80] Sandra Pilson. (#7. QF. 630pts)
[S81] John Osmond. (#6. QF. 711pts)
[S83] Declan McGurk. (#6. QF. 616pts)
[S81] Corrina Attwood. (#9. NQ. 681pts)
[S80] Mark Decouto. (#8. QF. 544pts)
[S83] Tom Vincent. (#7. QF. 609pts)
[S84] Matt Gould. (#5. QF. 680pts)
[S79] Adam Rolston. (#7. QF. 650pts)
[S80] Steven Turnbull. (#6. QF. 619pts)
[S83] Dave Lomax. (#8. QF. 488pts)
[S86] Lewis Castling-Morey. (#8. QF. 626pts)
-----------------------

List by points total…
-----------------------

List by results, then scores…
As we can see from the data, Luke Boynton, Jamie Wing and Mike Daysley certainly should have had a spot in the 16… with Brendan Whitehurst, Paul Nixon, and perhaps even the likes of Ian Volante & Quinn Bartlett being the main victims of this CoC spanning 8 series rather than 6.
Our jammy dodgers this time around include Stu, Leo and Steve… One could probably make an argument about Martin and Adam being lucky to have partaken in two of the weaker series of the 8 featured, but regardless, all grand finalists should feel they have a valid claim on a CoC spot.
Here is my prediction for how it will all play out:-
-------------------------
PRELIMS.
Florence beats Leo.
Sam beats Matt.
James beats Stu.
Tom beats Adam.
Elliott beats Dinos.
Dan beats Steve.
Ahmed beat Eddy.
Luke beats Martin.
QUARTER-FINALS
Sam beats Florence.
James beats Tom.
Elliott beats Dan.
Ahmed beats Luke.
SEMI-FINALS
Sam beats James.
Ahmed beats Elliott.
GRAND FINAL!!!
Ahmed beats Sam.
Best of luck to all players. This is gonna be great!
Last edited by L'oisleatch McGraw on Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:17 am 1. Ahmed Mohammed (bottom)
2. Sam Cappleman-Lynes (top)
3. Elliott Mellor (bottom)
4. Tom Stevenson (top)
5. Eddy Byrne (bottom)
6. Luke Johnson-Davies (bottom)
7. Florence Cappleman-Lynes (top)
8. Dan Byrom (bottom)
9. Dinos Sfyris (bottom)
10. Matt O'Connor (top)
11. James Haughton (top)
12. Stu Harkness (top)
13. Leo Smith (top)
14. Martin May (bottom)
15. Steve Hyde (bottom)
16. Adam Latchford (top)
I have no idea how you obtained such private information as this about the personal lives of the contestants, or what relevance it has to Countdown, but kudos for the thoroughness of your research.
Phil H
Acolyte

Post by Phil H »

Callum Todd wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:03 am

I have no idea how you obtained such private information as this about the personal lives of the contestants, or what relevance it has to Countdown, but kudos for the thoroughness of your research.
Cappleman-Lyneses outed as swingers!
Phil H
Acolyte

Post by Phil H »

Agree with most of Eoin's predictions. I'd lean towards Tom to win his first two games though, setting up two very closely-matched semi-finals. Hard to see the winner of the second semi not going on to take the title and I'd make Elliott a very, very, slight favourite over Ahmed - though LJD could be a dark horse.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

I think the second semi-final will be pivotal - the winner of that will win the final.
Series 78 Runner-up
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

Nice work Mr McGraw. Should be an exciting few weeks.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Looking forward to it. If there were seedings, Luke Johnson-Davies would almost certainly be the number 1 seed with the highest xicount total, and the also the champion with the highest octotal. Based on actual performance on the show, Elliott's octorun was easily the best, but he didn't play so well in the later rounds. But Luke also I think maxed all his letters rounds in the knockout stages, so that's also pretty impressive.

I don't follow Apterous closely, but I think Ahmed's stats were pretty up there, though he doesn't appear to be on top 15-rounders or top letters players right now, presumably due to not playing enough. But Sam's stats are looking very good there right now, and he is behind only Conor, Jack W and Rob on letters. Based on my quick analysis, these are the four players to watch out for. Sam is in the other half of the draw from the others so it's a good final chance for him. I certainly don't think it's a forgone conclusion that the winner of the semi-final of the Elliott/Luke/Ahmed etc. half will win the final.