Next Champion of Champions series

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Carl Harrison
Rookie

Re: Next Champion of Champions series

Post by Carl Harrison »

Thomas Cappleman wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:06 pm Who else has been invited, beyond presumably the last batch of finalists?
I doubt whether the current series 86 finalists will get an invite, they normally go up the series ending 6 months before.

So probably covering series 79-85 inclusive, which most likely means the (initial) invitees will be the 7 series winners, 7 runners-up, plus two lucky losing semi-finalists (one of which seems to be Steve Hyde).
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Carl Harrison wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:42 pm
Thomas Cappleman wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:06 pm Who else has been invited, beyond presumably the last batch of finalists?
I doubt whether the current series 86 finalists will get an invite, they normally go up the series ending 6 months before.

So probably covering series 79-85 inclusive, which most likely means the (initial) invitees will be the 7 series winners, 7 runners-up, plus two lucky losing semi-finalists (one of which seems to be Steve Hyde).
The email text that was shared says that more people have been invited than can participate, so I'm guessing that perhaps all (most?) finalists and SFs have been invited to express an interest and the decision will be made depending on who's available?

Looking forward to a Cappleman-Lynes showdown!
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

@Countdown Team - what's the chances of a small audience of well behaved friends? :D
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Colin hosting a CoC will be superb. Have fun everyone involved!
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I can confirm I'm a bit too far down the pecking order to have received an e-mail. A couple of series too many for me I suspect!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

#JusticeForIan #Volante2022 #Yorkshire
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Ian Volante wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:40 am I can confirm I'm a bit too far down the pecking order to have received an e-mail. A couple of series too many for me I suspect!
:(
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Fiona T wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:19 pm @Countdown Team - what's the chances of a small audience of well behaved friends? :D
Or can I offer my services as an unpaid work experience lackey? :D :D
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Philip A wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:46 pm
Countdown Team wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:24 pm Nov 7 - 9, broadcast from Jan 2nd to Jan 20, 2023 as things stand.
Obvs changeable given todays sad news.
Thanks for letting us know.
I heard it on the BBC.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Hope to see Elliott Mellor and Luke Boynton among the 16 playing.
Series 78 Runner-up
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Matt Morrison wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:36 am
Philip A wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:46 pm
Countdown Team wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:24 pm Nov 7 - 9, broadcast from Jan 2nd to Jan 20, 2023 as things stand.
Obvs changeable given todays sad news.
Thanks for letting us know.
I heard it on the BBC.
Rofl
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Enthusiast

Post by Sam Cappleman-Lynes »

Fiona T wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:58 pm Looking forward to a Cappleman-Lynes showdown!
After discussing the ethics of offering a back-hander to set up a first-round match between the two of us, we've decided on an alternative course of action - neither of us is allowed to lose until we meet :lol:
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Philip A wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:09 am Hope to see Elliott Mellor and Luke Boynton among the 16 playing.
Yeah, both imo deserve a second chance after their losses in Series 80 and Series 83 respectively
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Sam Cappleman-Lynes wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:00 am
Fiona T wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:58 pm Looking forward to a Cappleman-Lynes showdown!
After discussing the ethics of offering a back-hander to set up a first-round match between the two of us, we've decided on an alternative course of action - neither of us is allowed to lose until we meet :lol:
You two played so well on Team Countdown, might as well get the C-L battle on TV :lol:
One of da 'Muricans
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Fiona T wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:19 pm @Countdown Team - what's the chances of a small audience of well behaved friends? :D
Well an audience of 16
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Carl Harrison
Rookie

Post by Carl Harrison »

Would be good to see the draw for the tournament once that's been confirmed! (like it's been posted on this forum in previous years)
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Enthusiast

Post by Sam Cappleman-Lynes »

Carl Harrison wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:21 pm Would be good to see the draw for the tournament once that's been confirmed! (like it's been posted on this forum in previous years)
I'm pretty certain that won't happen this time.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Possibly a controversial take, but I actually think keeping the draw a secret is better than publishing it before filming or broadcast. From a viewer’s point of view, not knowing who’s playing who before broadcast, in my opinion, gets people watching the show, and finding out as it goes along on-screen rather than online or anywhere else prior keeps it interesting. In the previous CoC which I entered, the draw was published and I had months knowing who I was up against during training, and the likelihoods of the permutations regarding who I’d face and at what stage. Can’t say how the other players feel but from the armchair I think a secret draw is an incentive. Good luck to all those enterting what promises to be a remarkable contest!
Series 78 Runner-up
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Philip A wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:31 pm Possibly a controversial take, but I actually think keeping the draw a secret is better than publishing it before filming or broadcast. From a viewer’s point of view, not knowing who’s playing who before broadcast, in my opinion, gets people watching the show, and finding out as it goes along on-screen rather than online or anywhere else prior keeps it interesting. In the previous CoC which I entered, the draw was published and I had months knowing who I was up against during training, and the likelihoods of the permutations regarding who I’d face and at what stage. Can’t say how the other players feel but from the armchair I think a secret draw is an incentive. Good luck to all those enterting what promises to be a remarkable contest!
Well I think the players do know who they're facing, so can't see why it wouldn't be shared. The apto-viewers (who will tune in anyway!) are a tiny minority of actual viewers who probably can't remember an Elliott from a Luke.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Now that I’m aware that this CoC will have at least one Series 86 player (and CoCs have had players from the latest regular play before) that’s probably why the draw hasn’t been announced. Obviously that will be affirmed fully at filming in case of dropouts.
Series 78 Runner-up
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Sam Cappleman-Lynes wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:25 pm I'm pretty certain that won't happen this time.
Certain is a strong word.
What gives you that impression?
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Philip A wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:14 pm Now that I’m aware that this CoC will have at least one Series 86 player (and CoCs have had players from the latest regular play before) that’s probably why the draw hasn’t been announced. Obviously that will be affirmed fully at filming in case of dropouts.
Ah that makes sense - you wouldn't announce a draw with players who haven't yet proved their credentials (and may even have not aired yet), even if you're pretty certain they will.
Steve Hyde
Acolyte

Post by Steve Hyde »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:56 pm
Sam Cappleman-Lynes wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:25 pm I'm pretty certain that won't happen this time.
Certain is a strong word.
What gives you that impression?
I'm by far the most likely of the 16 to crack, and I'm saying nothing
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Interesting.

Steve's post gives the impression the running order is already decided, and yet Philip heard a (probably dodgy) rumour that a S86 player is involved. Highly doubtful that both of these things are true.
James Nguyen
Rookie

Post by James Nguyen »

[
Last edited by James Nguyen on Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

I honestly don't give much of a shit on who's going up against who. I have ideas of who they might involve, like the three 1k club members, but in the end it's gonna be a hell of a CoC regardless of who's gonna be drawn.
One of da 'Muricans
Steve Hyde
Acolyte

Post by Steve Hyde »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:50 am Interesting.

Steve's post gives the impression the running order is already decided, and yet Philip heard a (probably dodgy) rumour that a S86 player is involved. Highly doubtful that both of these things are true.
Both things are true. Two S86 players are involved
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Will there be any Series 79 or Series 80 players?
Series 78 Runner-up
Adam S Latchford
Acolyte

Post by Adam S Latchford »

Philip A wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:38 am Will there be any Series 79 or Series 80 players?
For someone who doesn't want spoilers about the draw you sure are asking questions about spoilers for the draw :-)
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Steve Hyde wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:06 am Both things are true. Two S86 players are involved
Weird, Eddy and Tom!
Why would they include these two before the series has been played out?
Better to save them for the one after...
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:48 am
Steve Hyde wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:06 am Both things are true. Two S86 players are involved
Weird, Eddy and Tom!
#TeamAziz
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Weird, Eddy and Tom!
Do you know it's those two? Tom who hasn't even been on yet...

A tip for you all - always be on the lookout for Ashton Hancocks. Just generally. Nothing specific.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Plot twist - the whole thing a an AH windup :)
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:09 am
Weird, Eddy and Tom!
Do you know it's those two? Tom who hasn't even been on yet...

A tip for you all - always be on the lookout for Ashton Hancocks. Just generally. Nothing specific.
The correct plural is Ashtons Hancock. It's like Attorneys General or Pots Noodle.
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

Post by Ronan M Higginson »

Adam S Latchford wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:36 am
Philip A wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:38 am Will there be any Series 79 or Series 80 players?
For someone who doesn't want spoilers about the draw you sure are asking questions about spoilers for the draw :-)
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

I don't think anyone here is naïve enough to believe any trolling comments that the draw is already made, and that the participants know but are keeping it 'secret'. I expect it will be published in due course, like last time.
Carl Harrison
Rookie

Post by Carl Harrison »

As the series 86 finals haven’t been filmed yet, I can only assume that “two Series 86 players” means the eventual series winner and runner-up, yet to be determined. (But perhaps there remains uncertainty about whether those people will be available etc, hence the draw not being able to be finalised yet).

If that’s the case then it looks like we’re covering 8 series (79-86) so I expect the line-up is essentially all the series winners and runners-up, with perhaps the odd semi-finalist or two lined up in case one of the finalists can’t make it (and hence Steve H looks to have done well to have made the list!)
Dan Byrom
Acolyte

Post by Dan Byrom »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:14 pm I don't think anyone here is naïve enough to believe any trolling comments that the draw is already made, and that the participants know but are keeping it 'secret'. I expect it will be published in due course, like last time.
I certainly wouldn't be so naive hehehe *taps nose*
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Dan Byrom wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:37 pm I certainly wouldn't be so naive hehehe *taps nose*
:lol: :twisted: :cry:
Steve Hyde
Acolyte

Post by Steve Hyde »

I like how you're all trying to Cunningham's Law me into giving away the details :D
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Why are you all so annoyingly wise to my parlour tricks?! :mrgreen:
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Adam S Latchford wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:36 am
TBF, I don’t mind knowing who’s playing. :P Just not who’s playing who!
Series 78 Runner-up
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Carl Harrison wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:10 pm As the series 86 finals haven’t been filmed yet, I can only assume that “two Series 86 players” means the eventual series winner and runner-up, yet to be determined. (But perhaps there remains uncertainty about whether those people will be available etc, hence the draw not being able to be finalised yet).

If that’s the case then it looks like we’re covering 8 series (79-86) so I expect the line-up is essentially all the series winners and runners-up, with perhaps the odd semi-finalist or two lined up in case one of the finalists can’t make it (and hence Steve H looks to have done well to have made the list!)
Unfortunately, Mike Daysley, the winner of Series 79, has not been invited. I feel sorry for him.
Series 78 Runner-up
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Philip A wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:38 pm TBF, I don’t mind knowing who’s playing. :P Just not who’s playing who!
I'm in the same vain.
One of da 'Muricans
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Philip A wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:40 pm Unfortunately, Mike Daysley, the winner of Series 79, has not been invited. I feel sorry for him.
That's a pity.
CoC's should really happen every 4 series, like in the early days.
Fairer system.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Philip A wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:40 pm
Unfortunately, Mike Daysley, the winner of Series 79, has not been invited. I feel sorry for him.
Given the length of time since his appearance, it could simply be that his contact details are no longer current.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Fiona T wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:49 pm
Philip A wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:40 pm
Given the length of time since his appearance, it could simply be that his contact details are no longer current.
There will be one Series 79 player. Learned this on Twitter. Strange.
Series 78 Runner-up
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Philip A wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:50 pm There will be one Series 79 player. Learned this on Twitter. Strange.
S79 was notably shite.
If any is to be lacking representation, it should be that one.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I'm disappointed not to get through the entire run of dodgy shirts. Also, I've got long blue hair now. Maybe this would be more interesting than all these geeky mathsy types.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Philip A wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:40 pm Unfortunately, Mike Daysley, the winner of Series 79, has not been invited. I feel sorry for him.
As consolation, he will remain a member of the elite group of the undefeated.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Ian Volante wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:00 am I'm disappointed not to get through the entire run of dodgy shirts. Also, I've got long blue hair now. Maybe this would be more interesting than all these geeky mathsy types.
IV for CoC!
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Fiona T wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:07 am
Ian Volante wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:00 am I'm disappointed not to get through the entire run of dodgy shirts. Also, I've got long blue hair now. Maybe this would be more interesting than all these geeky mathsy types.
IV for CoC!
We could even dedicate the whole thing to him. CoC IV!
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:15 pm
Fiona T wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:07 am
IV for CoC!
We could even dedicate the whole thing to him. CoC IV!
More like CoC IV × IV
One of da 'Muricans
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

The draw for this has been leaked.
One anyone care to publish it, or shall I do the honours?
Steve Hyde
Acolyte

Post by Steve Hyde »

Where and by whom?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:10 pm The draw for this has been leaked.
Just do it. Anyone who doesn't want to see it can look away. Obviously depending on the source (if given) it may need to be taken with a pinch of salt.
Jack Neal
Rookie

Post by Jack Neal »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:52 pm
L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:10 pm The draw for this has been leaked.
Just do it. Anyone who doesn't want to see it can look away. Obviously depending on the source (if given) it may need to be taken with a pinch of salt.
Yup let's see it!
Steve Hyde
Acolyte

Post by Steve Hyde »

Let's see what you've got, I'll confirm if it's legit or not. Once it's out there my anxiety dreams about being kicked out for accidentally leaking something I shouldn't have should go away!
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

I think the reasons as to why the draw hasn't been revealed perhaps speak for themselves, especially given previous posts on this thread. Whilst the excitement and intrigue are palpable, we should hold fire from publishing any "leaked draw" until the Countdown Team decide to officially publish their draw.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

This is Countdown Team's fault for leaking it to the contestants, That was a silly thing to do.
If they wanted it secret they should have kept it PROPERLY secret.
Yes. I know it contains an Octochamp whose run has yet to air... but it will probably be published here early anyway.
You can't put the genie back in the bottle.