Staying logged on

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Staying logged on

Post by Phil Reynolds »

I had a major disk crash at the weekend and am now working from a rebuilt PC with a new hard drive and Windows XP reinstalled from scratch. :cry:

Things are slowly getting back to normal but I've noticed a problem with the C4C message board. Under my old set-up, I basically stayed logged in all the time; unless I explicitly logged out, whenever I visited the board I was always already logged in. Now it's completely the opposite. I log in, browse/post/whatever, then click away from the board - and when I come back (even if it's only a minute later) I have to log in again. I've tried checking the box on the login screen that says "Log me in automatically each visit" but it makes no difference. How can I stop this?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Staying logged on

Post by Matt Morrison »

my best guess would be that somehow you've disabled cookies in your browser Phil.

quick test, other than searching through options to find details on cookies, would be to test in Firefox and Internet Explorer (or any two different browsers) to see if there is any different behaviour.

If you need any more technical help with re-enabling cookies then don't hesitate to ask (or Google it for your specific browser)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

For some reason, you may find that http://www.c4countdown.co.uk works properly whereas c4countdown.co.uk doesn't. Or the other way round. Or something.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:For some reason, you may find that http://www.c4countdown.co.uk works properly whereas c4countdown.co.uk doesn't.
Yay! Well done that man. Yes, I'd bookmarked the site as c4countdown.co.uk - before the crash I must have set it up with the www in place. Cheers Charlie. And sorry for initially creating this thread in the wrong forum.

(Thanks for the suggestion Matt - my cookie settings were the first thing I checked!)
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Interesting. I have a similar problem, although it seems much patchier. When I click from e-mail links into forum it sometimes asks me to log in, and sometimes doesn't. Since I keep forgetting my password and don't have Firefox at work to remember it for me, it's a butt of a big bear. Or something.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ian Volante wrote:Interesting. I have a similar problem, although it seems much patchier. When I click from e-mail links into forum it sometimes asks me to log in, and sometimes doesn't. Since I keep forgetting my password and don't have Firefox at work to remember it for me, it's a butt of a big bear. Or something.
For some reason which I can't figure out, some types of email use the URL with www. and some the URL without. So if you're logged in to one, you won't be autologged into the other.