Spoilers for Celebrity Countdown - Tuesday 19th November 2019

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Celebrity Countdown - Tuesday 19th November 2019

Post by Johnny Canuck »

It's like they've mixed Countdown with the WWE.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Re: Spoilers for Celebrity Countdown - Tuesday 19th November 2019

Post by Ray Wilding »

Susie just flat out wrong on CHEERIOS. HELLO and and GOODBYE are nouns, CHEERIO is not.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

A good game tonight - both contestants put in a good effort, and good to see Rufus successfully apply the maths trick.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

I thought Rufus played quite well regarding expected standards of his fellow celebs.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ray Wilding wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:56 pm Susie just flat out wrong on CHEERIOS. HELLO and and GOODBYE are nouns, CHEERIO is not.
Agreed.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Ray Wilding wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:56 pm Susie just flat out wrong on CHEERIOS. HELLO and and GOODBYE are nouns, CHEERIO is not.
Why is this? I don't see why CHEERIO isn't/can't be a noun.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Post by Ray Wilding »

Callum Todd wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:48 pm
CHEERIO is only in as an exclamation https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/cheerio
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Callum Todd wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:48 pm
Who knows why the dictionary is the way it is, but it's not for Susie to make it up if it's not to anyone's liking.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Does it say anywhere that you can't pluralise an exclamation? In fact it's being used as a count noun in the example sentence "A big cheerio to Bill, who's not been in the best of health of late." (Haven't watched the programme, so I don't know what was actually said.)
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

goodbye is listed as a synonym.
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Post by Ray Wilding »

David Williams wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:28 am Does it say anywhere that you can't pluralise an exclamation? In fact it's being used as a count noun in the example sentence "A big cheerio to Bill, who's not been in the best of health of late." (Haven't watched the programme, so I don't know what was actually said.)
No, you cannot pluralise exclamations. If it isn't a noun, you can't pluralise it.
Fiona T wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:40 am goodbye is listed as a synonym.
Word types aren't transitive, synonyms of words do not automatically share word types.
ARRIVEDERCI, CIAO, SAYONARA, TOODLES, none of these are in as nouns.
ADIEU is in as a noun, so its plurals are fine.

My point is that the word NOUN is nowhere to be seen in the entry for CHEERIO.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

It may be your (and my) opinion that you can't pluralise an exclamation, but the point at issue is where this is laid down. And the usage in the example sentence could be pluralised. On balance I agree with you, but I'm not seeing quite enough to overrule the onfield decision.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

David Williams wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:40 am It may be your (and my) opinion that you can't pluralise an exclamation, but the point at issue is where this is laid down. And the usage in the example sentence could be pluralised. On balance I agree with you, but I'm not seeing quite enough to overrule the onfield decision.
If you could pluralise it, it would be a noun. That's true basically by definition. Not a noun = no plural. Sure, something can be an exclamation and a noun, but it should be listed as such.

The example sentence does suggest that it can be used as a noun, but then it's about which takes precedence - the definition or the example sentences.
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

David Williams wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:40 am It may be your (and my) opinion that you can't pluralise an exclamation, but the point at issue is where this is laid down.
It doesn't need to be. There would need to be a rule somewhere to say that you can pluralise exclamations. Why would all the (part of speech, inflection) combinations that aren't allowed be listed explicitly, when it would be much simpler to list the ones that are allowed?
And the usage in the example sentence could be pluralised. On balance I agree with you, but I'm not seeing quite enough to overrule the onfield decision.
Which example sentence?