Fact or Bullshit

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Fact or Bullshit

Post by Marc Meakin »

Maybe belongs in a different topic but anyway.
I like to collect amazing factoids but some are maybe not so factual.
Here are 2 good examples :
Of all the people who have ever lived, 7% are alive today.

All the gold that has ever been excavated would fit in 3 double decker buses.

I have seen both of these claims both debunked and confirmed from online sources
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Fact or Bullshit

Post by Gavin Chipper »

The 7% of people one would presumably depend on what you define a person to be - at what point in our evolutionary history.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

There was an ancient law that any Jewish person who walks under the Arch of Titus in Rome, which commemorates the Roman army's victory over Judea, is no longer considered Jewish. I have read that "to this day, no Jew has knowingly walked under the Arch."

I wonder who combed through 1500 years of CCTV and facial recognition to verify that.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

I thought factoids were things that aren't really true.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Fred Mumford wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:43 pm I thought factoids were things that aren't really true.
Is that one for the thread? Very meta.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:58 pm Maybe belongs in a different topic but anyway.
I like to collect amazing factoids but some are maybe not so factual.
Here are 2 good examples :
Of all the people who have ever lived, 7% are alive today.

All the gold that has ever been excavated would fit in 3 double decker buses.

I have seen both of these claims both debunked and confirmed from online sources
I seem to remember years ago Carol Vorderman calculating that the dead outnumber the living by 10 to 1. Whether this was on Countdown, How 2 or something else, I can't remember.
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:37 pm I seem to remember years ago Carol Vorderman calculating that the dead outnumber the living by 10 to 1. Whether this was on Countdown, How 2 or something else, I can't remember.
I can remember a bit more than you about this in that I know it wasn't on Countdown, but can't recall what show it was. I've seen the question answered elsewhere too though, with numbers comparable to what Carol came up with.

One that bugs me is that these days Please Please Me is not considered to be the Beatles' first UK number 1, whereas it absolutely was at the time. It was number 1 on all the major charts except the relatively minor Record Retailer (which incidentally used a smaller sample size of shops than most of the other charts too). However, at the end of the 1960s when the charts were standardised, Record Retailer was chosen as the one to use (I think partly because their chart went as far as a Top 50). All chart books since then have retroactively used the Record Retailer choices for the early years, thereby altering the official record and denying the Beatles a number 1 that was truly theirs. Happily, I believe they did go on to have a few other number ones that saved them from obscurity today.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

This article seems quite authoritative and reckons about 7%.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:02 pm This article seems quite authoritative and reckons about 7%.
Or maybe this
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-16870579
Hence my dilemma
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Being born within the sound of Bow bells makes you a cockney.
For years I assumed Bow as in East London meaning I would qualify, however the Bow bells are actually in Marylebone making a Cockney more from central London than East london
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:45 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:02 pm This article seems quite authoritative and reckons about 7%.
Or maybe this
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-16870579
Hence my dilemma
Well it gives a 15 to 1 ratio. That's 6.25%. The other article actually says 6.7%. There's no massive discrepency there.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Man will never be able to travel the bottom of the deepest oceans, ergo there are species of marine life we will never discover.
My take on that is how can any living creature survive in such depths if that was the case
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:51 pm Being born within the sound of Bow bells makes you a cockney.
For years I assumed Bow as in East London meaning I would qualify, however the Bow bells are actually in Marylebone making a Cockney more from central London than East london
I think you may be a bit confused here, the bells are those of St Mary-le-Bow, which is in Cheapside EC2
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:00 am Man will never be able to travel the bottom of the deepest oceans, ergo there are species of marine life we will never discover.
My take on that is how can any living creature survive in such depths if that was the case
Erm. Also James Cameron made a later visit.
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

I heard a stat from different people that since the dawn of time, half the people on earth who had died, had died from malaria. It sounds ludicrously high now, but I went along with it, Recently it was debunked. The actual figure is around 5% of all deaths, which is still incredibly high when you think of it.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Would totally watch a TV show with this name.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Backed or Fullshit would kind of make sense as well. On a rival TV channel.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Mark Deeks wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:10 pm Would totally watch a TV show with this name.
https://youtu.be/MRBMC0LUDgo similar format and you can always pretend the name is the same.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Paul Worsley wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:15 pm I heard a stat from different people that since the dawn of time, half the people on earth who had died, had died from malaria. It sounds ludicrously high now, but I went along with it, Recently it was debunked. The actual figure is around 5% of all deaths, which is still incredibly high when you think of it.
It might account for what is to be considered premature deaths
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:16 am
Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:51 pm Being born within the sound of Bow bells makes you a cockney.
I think you may be a bit confused here, the bells are those of St Mary-le-Bow, which is in Cheapside EC2
Yes my bad I always thought Marylebone was the reference but still in central or rather The City of London
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:00 am My take on that is how can any living creature survive in such depths if that was the case
Evolution by natural selection.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Does time, travel in a curve ?
If so wouldn't every event be, eventually cyclical?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Marc Meakin wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:45 am Does time, travel in a curve ?
If so wouldn't every event be, eventually cyclical?
It's a component of spacetime. Maybe this is a good place to start: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime#Light_cone
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Another factoid from my childhood.
If a plane could leave the earth's atmosphere and hovered it could return to earth getting to Australia direct in around 12 hours due to earth's rotation.
This sounds feasible but probably not practicle
Maybe this answers my own question but an interesting read anyway
https://project-cancelled.fandom.com/wiki/HOTOL
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Marc Meakin wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:50 am Another factoid from my childhood.
If a plane could leave the earth's atmosphere and hovered it could return to earth getting to Australia direct in around 12 hours due to earth's rotation.
This sounds feasible but probably not practicle
Maybe this answers my own question but an interesting read anyway
https://project-cancelled.fandom.com/wiki/HOTOL
Try visualising this from the sun. If a plane took off from the equator and hovered, it's already moving at the same speed relative to space as the point on the earth that it takes off from. You would see it moving as the earth rotates and returning to the same position relative to you after 24 hours. It would have travelled the distance of the circumference of the earth, so that's about 1000 mph. If it took off from the North Pole it would be stationary, from London going about 600 mph. In order to remain stationary from your perspective the plane would have to be moving at about 600 mph relative to the earth. It would remain at the same latitude, so after 12 hours it would be over the Aleutian Islands rather than Australia. This, of course, is essentially what a plane flying from London to the Aleutian Islands does.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

David Williams wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:44 am This, of course, is essentially what a plane flying from London to the Aleutian Islands does.
If they wanted to go the long way, anyway.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ben Wilson wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:27 am
David Williams wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:44 am This, of course, is essentially what a plane flying from London to the Aleutian Islands does.
What witchcraft is this?
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:06 pm
Ben Wilson wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:27 am
What witchcraft is this?
That's why I put the word 'essentially' in what I posted! If you ignore the fact that the earth is going round the sun, which I don't think is a factor, what it amounts to is that you can remain motionless in space and the Aleutian Islands will come to you, or you can head off and meet them a bit earlier.