Spoilers for Thursday 23rd December 2021 (Series 84 Grand Final)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Philip A
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Thursday 23rd December 2021 (Series 84 Grand Final)

Post by Philip A »

Don’t expect to see the twenty volumes of the Oxford English Dictionary on set. They’re 32 years out of date. They’re gone. For good.

But which of the two names will be engraved on the Richard Whiteley Memorial Trophy?

Last Countdown of 2021 before it returns on 3 January.
Series 78 Runner-up
Philip A
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Thursday 23 December 2021 (Series 84 Grand Final)

Post by Philip A »

Understandably, Florence opted not to risk adding the S on the end of IDEATUM, and Susie did not state what the plural would be.

Due to poor and inconsistent compilation from Oxford Dictionaries Online, not all entries specify inflections, including plurals. Other sources overwhelmingly give IDEATA as the correct plural.

Bit of a mystery. And I must confess that I was the one who ticketed IDEATA to replace IDEATUMS on Apterous.
Series 78 Runner-up
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Though there was a gap in the end, this was a tense game right until the final letters game. At 19 points behind it still seemed doable with a 6 small and a crucial.

Florence really upped her game going into the knockouts and I don't think Ahmed was massive favourite at the start of the game. But the more obscure available spots gave him the edge. But both players were great and would have been worthy champions.

Did Ahmed miss anything other than that numbers? (And IDEATUMS! :mrgreen: )
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Unlucky Florence, it was tough start to the final for you with Ahmed getting ahead but as Gevin said, you were still in with a shout until the final letters round. Your improvement on Apterous has been sensational in such a short period of time and I'm sure you will be one to watch at the next Champion of Champions tournament. In the meantime, you can be very proud of what you've achieved.

Congratulations to Ahmed though, a worthy winner on the day and over the course of the series. I don't care if you can't define most of the words you've offered. :D You set a standard that was very difficult for anyone to match and like Florence, you'll also be a serious contender at CoC. A great set of finals games overall.
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

What a nice way to end the Series on my 24th Birthday, and I sincerely thank all of you who were in the Daily Chat who wished me one. I never imagined I would still be around writing recaps after close to five years now, and I hope I can still be around after five more! Cheers and let's get on with the final afternoon episode of 2021!

Letters: Ahmed gets off to an incredible start with PINALUA in R1 and CINEASTE in R2. His spot of HABITUE in R7 widens the gap, as does REFUTER in R10 (which Florence in the Daily Chat mentioned she did not risk it which was very unlucky :( ). Great spot of IDEATUM in R8 from Florence and it was wise not to risk the plural form as it is invalid (although some people such as Philip who mentioned in a post above are in the midst of disputing this). Both had excellent spots in R11 with PEASTONE and PEONAGES, as with Ahmed's ECHIDNAS in R12. Then, R13 sealed Florence's fate when he had PAGUROID, meaning the margin was too large for her to catch up. :(

Numbers: A manageable R3 sees Florence takes her first points for this game. I somehow knew she was going to gamble in R6 and I was right. Argh, the target is too easy to reach, this was certainly not the one she would have hoped for to throw Ahmed off (and you could probably tell that by her expressions) :( I'm not sure if Ahmed having MISTAKE in R8 was a premonition to what happened in R9, because he stumbles and Florence claws back within striking distance of the Grand Champion title! :o Great way to end off the Series even though the game was decided by R14 when both get a perfect solution! :)

Conundrum: Wow, what a nice way of saying IPAARTIED today on my Birthday :lol: (Just kidding, but also don't be like those politicians who partied during lockdown, *Ahem*). I didn't even have time to start unscrambling when Ahmed buzzed in with TEPIDARIA which was amazingly fast! That means every single person who won a match in the Finals here scored a century and above! I don't know when was the last time this has ever happened in a single Series! :O

I predicted Ahmed would win this game with a margin of 30 points, but it was slightly off with the difference at 37 points (coincidentally, this is the exact same margin when Luke Johnson-Davies defeated Florence's husband, Sam, around a year earlier!) Commiserations Florence, just like your husband, you were also relegated to the Runner-up spot, but as you mentioned on the Daily Chat, you didn't have much time to relax after the recording of the second Semi-Finals ended which consumed most of your energy and you only had a five-minute break before this episode started. However, you still won a tablet for all your efforts which I hope you enjoy! Just like how I wished Sam all the best in raising up the family in 2020, all the best to you as well and I really enjoyed the Christmas sweaters you've worn! It certainly made me get into the Holiday spirit!
Jack Worsley wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:55 pm
Congratulations to Ahmed though, a worthy winner on the day and over the course of the series. I don't care if you can't define most of the words you've offered. :D You set a standard that was very difficult for anyone to match and like Florence, you'll also be a serious contender at CoC. A great set of finals games overall.
As for Ahmed, your skills have blown me and perhaps countless of other viewers away during your run. You have spotted so many obscure words that left me so intrigued I was desperately trying to keep up with the definitions Susie and the various Dictionary Corner guests were giving out! :lol: It's ok that you might not know the definitions as what Jack mentioned; that was enough to put you over the line and be the Grand Champion! Your practice on Apterous really paid off here! Just like Luke Johnson-Davies last year, It's a shame that Anne or Dr. Anne-Marie could not hand the Richard Whiteley Memorial Trophy on-camera to you (maybe because of Delta variant concerns at the time of recording, idk?), but your name will be there and when people look back on this Series, you will certainly be remembered as the guy who introduced us to so many new words and expanded our vocabulary. I really hope you and Florence will be invited back for the next Championship of Champions, because the both of you deserve spots in there and of course, a round of applause for your performance today!

We're not exactly done with Countdown for this year yet! There's still the Christmas Special from Catsdown which will air tomorrow evening and the first new episode to be broadcast since the death of regular Sean Lock (may he RIP), we'll see how things go then! Series 85 will start on Monday, 03 January 2022, with Kim Coltman in the chair seeking for her 3rd win. She's already snatched victory from the jaws of defeat twice thanks to the Crucial Conundrums. Let's hope she can perhaps win without one! May all of you stay safe in the midst of this Omicron wave and may all of you have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year in advance! Keep yourself and your loved ones protected during this festive season and I'll see you on the other side!

Progress:
QF1 (15 December): Ahmed Mohamed (#1) vs Janet Noe (#8) (143 - 59)
QF2 (16 December): Stu Harkness (#2) vs Roddie Bell (#7) (112 - 82)
QF3 (17 December): Florence Cappleman-Lynes (#3) vs Jasamrit Rahala (#6) (121 - 62)
QF4 (20 December): Jeremy Slaney (#4) vs Matt Gould (#5) (126 - 94)
SF1 (21 December): Ahmed Mohamed (QF1 Winner) vs Jeremy Slaney (QF4 Winner) (118 - 65)
SF2 (22 December): Stu Harkness (QF2 Winner) vs Florence Cappleman-Lynes (QF3 Winner) (97 - 114)
GF (23 December): Ahmed Mohamed (SF1 Winner) vs Florence Cappleman-Lynes (SF2 Winner) (114 - 77)
Last edited by Ryan Lam on Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Latchford
Rookie

Post by Adam Latchford »

Very very good final.

Final 3 this series all such class competitors - but Ahmed was the deserved winner. Paguroid to seal the win then that conundrum? Outrageous
samir pilica
Acolyte

Post by samir pilica »

Congratulations Ahmed. Commiserations Florence. Thoroughly enjoyable game. Hope to see you again in 40 BC.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Adam Latchford wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:46 pm Final 3 this series all such class competitors
Final 4. Let's not overlook Jeremy (or Stu, but I assume you were omitting Jeremy).
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Ryan Lam wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:18 pm ...Luke Johnson-Davies defeated Florence's wife, Sam....
Something Sam not telling us? :o
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

Great final! Very well done Ahmed, and commiserations Florence.

R3 LNAFP: (9*8+5/5)*6 = 438
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Adam Dexter wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:33 pm
Ryan Lam wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:18 pm ...Luke Johnson-Davies defeated Florence's wife, Sam....
Something Sam not telling us? :o
Gah! Dammit! Thanks for spotting this!
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Many congrats to amazing Ahmed on becoming series champ, another superb performance. 8-) Also many congrats to Florence on being series runner-up. :)

Another great series, well done all. :)