COLIN XVII- Countdown in Lincoln, 29-30 January 2022

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Ben Wilson
Legend

COLIN XVII- Countdown in Lincoln, 29-30 January 2022

Post by Ben Wilson »

Better late than never, eh? :-)

After a year without a COLIN (two apterous tournaments) notwithstanding), COLIN will be turning seventeen in January! (And thanks to missing a year its age now equals its tournament number, which I'm sure will make some of the pedants out there very happy.)

The format is unchanged. The venues are unchanged, the price is unchanged, and the quality of the prizes are unchanged (sorry about that). For those new to COLIN, there'll be 3 rounds of Edinburgh-style play (3 players to a table, everyone plays each other once and hosts once) followed by a final on the Saturday, 2 rounds and a final on the Sunday. Play starts at 12:15pm on Saturday (but please try to be there by noon) and finishes by 6pm at the latest, and play starts at 11am on the Sunday (well, in theory, anyway) and finishes by 2:30pm as I know everyone has trains to catch.

...However, some things will be slightly different this year, as CoVid hasn't, well, gone away yet. There will be limited refreshments available on the day to avoid any risk of cross-contamination, so no mint imperials on the tables as with previous years. There are plenty of local shops though, including a new Cooplands bakery near the co-op opposite the Ark (think Greggs, only much smaller in every sense of the word). Masks will be mandatory at both venues. I will also try to get a supply of hand sanitiser available for everyone over the weekend, even if that will make the card sets smell a bit by the end of Sunday but whatever. And if the worst should happen and we're locked down again come January, I will find a way to make COLIN XVII happen in 2022 as early as we safely can. But after Blackpool's triumphant example, I'm confident we'll be meeting again in North Hykeham in January. :-) And yes, there will be a puzzle mag, a pen and a pad for everyone on the day, as well as a new prize badge I'm looking forward to debuting!

The price? £12 for the Saturday, £8 for the Sunday or £16 for both days, payable by PayPal to hulla.mahulla@btopenworld.com or to my home address (available upon request but hasn't changed in the last 22 years).

Travelodge details to follow and no doubt will be linked by someone below anyway.

Links to Facebook events pages-

COLIN XVII
The Hangover

Directions from the station(s) to the venue(s):

Hykeham Station to the Ark
Hykeham Station to the Memorial Hall

If you're travelling into Lincoln rail station, the bus station is directly across the road, and the 15 from bay H bus goes past the Ark (well, on the opposite side of the road but same thing) and the 16 (also bay H) goes past the Memorial Hall (again, opposite side of the road but whatever) and, more importantly, both the Fox and Hounds and the Travelodge. Yes, the Fox and Hounds have been told to expect a rush over the weekend.

See you all in January!

Confirmed entrants (as of 27/01/2022):

COLIN XVII (31)

James Robinson
Graeme Cole
Adam Dexter
Fiona Titcombe
Stewart Gordon
Thomas Carey
David Hilton
Jason Turner
Taz Turner
Dinos Sfyris
Callum Todd
Bradley Horrocks
Tim Down
Sam Prouse
Jack Hurst
Oliver Garner
Thomas Cappleman
Ruth Cappleman
Richard Priest
George Armstrong
Phil Stanton
J Bartram
Eddy Byrne
Tim Hebbes
Kai Laddiman
Conor Travers
Chris Marshall
Matthew Brockwell
Vicci Smith
George Carey
Mike Springett

The Hangover (28)

James Robinson
Graeme Cole
Adam Dexter
Fiona Titcombe
Stewart Gordon
Thomas Carey
David Hilton
Jason Turner
Taz Turner
Dinos Sfyris
Callum Todd
Bradley Horrocks
Tim Down
Sam Prouse
Jack Hurst
Oliver Garner
Thomas Cappleman
Ruth Cappleman
Richard Priest
George Armstrong
Phil Stanton
J Bartram
Eddy Byrne
Tim Hebbes
Kai Laddiman
Chris Marshall
Matthew Brockwell
Mike Springett
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: COLIN XVII- Countdown in Lincoln, 29-30 January 2022

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Doddington Hall over Lincoln any day of the week.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

But in all seriousness, this is great news.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Currently £72.98 for 2 nights on Saver rate for our usual haunt.👍
Matt Rutherford
Acolyte

Post by Matt Rutherford »

Great news :)

Would it be possible to arrange a bank transfer to pay instead?
England's most socially-awkward churchgoer
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ben Wilson wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:54 pm a new Cooplands bakery
https://cooplands-bakery.co.uk/news/pla ... ites-range
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:02 pm
Ben Wilson wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:54 pm a new Cooplands bakery
https://cooplands-bakery.co.uk/news/pla ... ites-range
Looks good.
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

Ben Wilson wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:54 pm...However, some things will be slightly different this year, as CoVid hasn't, well, gone away yet. There will be limited refreshments available on the day to avoid any risk of cross-contamination, so no mint imperials on the tables as with previous years.
What are there going to be then - mint metrics? :)
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Got a 3 bed room booked, lmk if you want in, £28 per person for the weekend
cheers maus
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Up to 12 entrants now with (in-person) COLIN debutantes Jason and Taz Turner!
DJ Marky Mark
Rookie

Post by DJ Marky Mark »

Thomas Carey wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:22 pm Got a 3 bed room booked, lmk if you want in, £28 per person for the weekend
Me and Tracey but your in the middle and ginge can hide under the covers :D :lol:
Long suffering Husband of Tracey Mills.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Up to 17 entrants now with the first appearance of Jack Hurst since he won the whole thing back in 2014! :) Technically this does mean he's on a winning streak, though...
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

And we're now at eighteen entrants with 2 time co-event winner (but COLIN debutant) Oli Garner!

Apologies if I've been a bit quiet on the COLIN front lately, real-life issues have kinda laid me low a bit as of late. But I'm planning something a bit different for the run-up to COLIN, so watch this space- or maybe some other spaces instead... :)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Up to 20 now with T-Cap and COLIN debutante R-Cap! After today's excitement in Braintree, COLIN is next on the calendar... No time like the present to secure your place for more of the FOCAL goodness!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Thorpe-on-the-Hill not included in Black Friday sale, and price is up to £103.98 now.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

A bit of an update- unless the government explicitly say that social gatherings are banned (or a cap of under 30 is applied), the current plan is that COLIN will happen as planned. Though with that being said, last year we were pretty heavily locked down when my part of the world had 17 infections per 100K people... And it's now 853 infections per 100K people. All I can say is: keep watching this space for further updates.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Fingers crossed Ben!
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Dude, stop infecting people.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

What's the thoughts on parkrun? Last time we did Doddington Hall. DH and Lincoln are similar distances from the Travelodge, and both run on tarmac. DH looks like it has lower attendance. Not sure how many have done both - I've only done DH so would marginally prefer a different venue, but not really too fussed!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Fiona T wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:46 pm What's the thoughts on parkrun? Last time we did Doddington Hall. DH and Lincoln are similar distances from the Travelodge, and both run on tarmac. DH looks like it has lower attendance. Not sure how many have done both - I've only done DH so would marginally prefer a different venue, but not really too fussed!
I've done both, and I consider Lincoln to be a fairly bad course. Slippery when wet and on badly kept paths, and a narrow three-lapper with quite a few people not paying attention or providing room when being lapped. I'd much prefer to do Doddington Hall again. Plus it's fairly easy to jog to from the Travelodge along quiet roads if one didn't want to get a taxi.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:50 pm
Fiona T wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:46 pm What's the thoughts on parkrun? Last time we did Doddington Hall. DH and Lincoln are similar distances from the Travelodge, and both run on tarmac. DH looks like it has lower attendance. Not sure how many have done both - I've only done DH so would marginally prefer a different venue, but not really too fussed!
I've done both, and I consider Lincoln to be a fairly bad course. Slippery when wet and on badly kept paths, and a narrow three-lapper with quite a few people not paying attention or providing room when being lapped. I'd much prefer to do Doddington Hall again. Plus it's fairly easy to jog to from the Travelodge along quiet roads if one didn't want to get a taxi.
Sounds like a good reason to stick with DH! Not to mention it's always nice to get a course PB :)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Quick update- I've been in touch with the venue manager for the hangover who have confirmed that facemasks will be mandatory on the day all day- so please ensure you have a mask or another face covering with you before entering the memorial hall. I may be able to provide a few spares on the day just in case but please do come prepared. This currently applies to the hangover only- I've yet to hear back from the main event venue.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Is anyone travelling from Essex or London that wants to get a train together? Or even better, if you're driving, I can give you petrol money.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

It'd cost you twice as much if you have to pay for their petrol and your own train ticket.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

That's good.
Adam Latchford
Rookie

Post by Adam Latchford »

Whats the latest I could feasibly sign up to this before the event?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Adam Latchford wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:21 pm Whats the latest I could feasibly sign up to this before the event?
About 6pm on the 28th of January, though for obvious reasons I'd prefer it if you sent me the money a bit beforehand.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Up to 28 now with the return after 11 years of Octochamp prodigy extraordinaire, Kai Laddiman!
Dan Byrom
Acolyte

Post by Dan Byrom »

I'm leaving it late to decide. Really want to come but going abroad a few days later so trying to determine the COVID risk...

Which means I might also be a late applicant
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

...And masks are now mandated for the main event as well, so make sure you have a face covering with you on both days (if you're coming on both days, anyway). :)

In less happy news, the venue manager at the Ark has managed to double book me on the day of COLIN, meaning we have no access to the hall until 11:30am, so please factor this into your travel time and don't show up before then unless you like waiting in a car park for ages. I'm also going to need a bit more help than usual setting up- but when has COLIN ever not been a group effort? :)

Full itinerary for both days is as follows:

COLIN XVII itinerary-

11:30 doors open
12:00 introductions
12:15 round 1
13:35 lunch
14:10 round 2
15:30 break
15:45 round 3
17:00 break
17:10 grand final
17:30 prizegiving

COLIN XVII hangover itinerary-

R1 11:00
Break 12:10
R2 12:40
Final 2:00
Prizegiving 2:30
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Ben Wilson wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:56 pm ...And masks are now mandated for the main event as well, so make sure you have a face covering with you on both days (if you're coming on both days, anyway). :)

In less happy news, the venue manager at the Ark has managed to double book me on the day of COLIN, meaning we have no access to the hall until 11:30am, so please factor this into your travel time and don't show up before then unless you like waiting in a car park for ages. I'm also going to need a bit more help than usual setting up- but when has COLIN ever not been a group effort? :)
You might want to edit the main post, which still says masks won't be mandatory and that play starts at 11:50am.

I hope the news from the Ark's manager about the double booking was accompanied with an apology. How does a double booking even happen nowadays? You'd think that if you have a venue which you hire out to the public, the bare minimum record-keeping would imply some sort of spreadsheet or calendar to keep track of who's booked the hall and for what dates and times.

In this case no harm has been done except minor inconvenience, but what if they'd accidentally hired the hall to someone else for the whole day and told you two weeks before the event that you couldn't have the hall you'd booked months in advance? Would they have undertaken to find us an alternative venue or else refund everyone's travel and accommodation costs?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Graeme Cole wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:52 pmI hope the news from the Ark's manager about the double booking was accompanied with an apology. How does a double booking even happen nowadays? You'd think that if you have a venue which you hire out to the public, the bare minimum record-keeping would imply some sort of spreadsheet or calendar to keep track of who's booked the hall and for what dates and times.
I had it booked for January 2021, then had to postpone that to May 2021, which I did with a phone call. When May 2021 didn't happen, I postponed it to January 2022 with a phone call. At least, I thought I did. Given that this is the same venue that once backed out on me with 18 hours' warning in 2007, this could be worse.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I hope all is well with you all. Unfortunately I'm not now going to be able to attend COLIN. However, I have a non-refundable booking with the Travelodge on both the Friday and Saturday nights. It's in my (real) name but you could presumably pretend to be me. So if anyone wants this, message me and I'm sure we can come to some arrangement.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

The room has now been taken!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

10 days to go and it's time for the annual outrage that is the seeding table, and... Yeah. The way I do the seeds, as people may know, is to average out people's finishing positions over the previous 5 COLINs (in this case, 2016-2020). This year, I've altered it so it discounts a player's worst performance over those 5 years, unless they only played in 1 COLIN, in which case, well, yep. Players without a seed using this method are automatically sorted into the middle of the pack. All I can say is... One of the round 1 tables will be VERY interesting.

1 Conor Travers
2 Thomas Cappleman
3 Callum Todd
4 Bradley Horrocks
5 James Robinson
6 Thomas Carey
7 Dinos Sfyris
8 Eddy Byrne
9 Graeme Cole
10 Tim Hebbes
11 Richard Priest
12 Jack Hurst^
13 Oliver Garner*
14 Matthew Brockwell*
15 Kai Laddiman^
16 Jason Turner*
17 Taz Turner*
18 Ruth Cappleman*
19 Joe Bartram*
20 Vicci Smith*
21 George Carey*
22 Sam Prouse
23 Stewart Gordon
24 Fiona Titcombe
25 Tim Down
26 Phil Stanton
27 Chris Marshall
28 Adam Dexter
29 David Hilton
30 George Armstrong
31 Mike Springett

^= not played at COLIN in the last 5 years
*= COLIN debutant
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

CoStAl 2015 champion Matthew Brockwell brings entry numbers up to 28/27 with just seven days to go!
Tim Down
Acolyte

Post by Tim Down »

Please could as many as possible do a lateral flow test before coming to COLIN? There is still tons of COVID going around and coming to COLIN represents a pretty big risk of exposure, so it'd be great if we could reduce the risk a little.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Tim Down wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:35 am Please could as many as possible do a lateral flow test before coming to COLIN? There is still tons of COVID going around and coming to COLIN represents a pretty big risk of exposure, so it'd be great if we could reduce the risk a little.
I strongly encourage people to do this.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

I'll be raffling away a small prize at the event on Saturday to a randomly selected player at the event who has left a review for my app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... production

If you want to have a chance of winning the prize remember to leave a review!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Should be travelling up to COLIN today. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Have fun everyone!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

The draw for round 1:

Table 1
Matthew Brockwell - Tim Down
Tim Down - Callum Todd
Callum Todd - Matthew Brockwell

Table 2
Ruth Cappleman - David Hilton
David Hilton - Richard Priest
Richard Priest - Ruth Cappleman

Table 3
Kai Laddiman - George Armstrong
George Armstrong - Tim Hebbes
Tim Hebbes - Kai Laddiman

Table 4
George Carey - Adam Dexter
Adam Dexter - Graeme Cole
Graeme Cole - George Carey

Table 5
Taz Turner - Stewart Gordon
Stewart Gordon - Thomas Cappleman
Thomas Cappleman - Taz Turner

Table 6
Joe Bartram - Chris Marshall
Chris Marshall - Conor Travers
Conor Travers - Joe Bartram

Table 7
Jack Hurst - Fiona Titcombe
Fiona Titcombe - Eddy Byrne
Eddy Byrne - Jack Hurst

Table 8
Vicci Smith - Phil Stanton
Phil Stanton - Dinos Sfyris
Dinos Sfyris - Vicci Smith

Table 9
Jason Turner - Mike Springett
Mike Springett - Bradley Horrocks
Bradley Horrocks - Jason Turner

Table 10
Oliver Garner - Prune One
Prune One - James Robinson
James Robinson - Oliver Garner

Table 11
Sam Prouse - Prune Two
Prune Two - Thomas Carey
Thomas Carey - Sam Prouse
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I remember probably nearly 20 years ago on one of the Countdown Yahoo groups, someone claimed that Rowan Williams had auditioned to go on the show but under a false name. This was around 1st April so wasn't taken too seriously, but it seems anyway now that George Carey has one-upped him!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

The standings after round 1:

P W Pts
1 Dinos Sfyris 2 2 148
2 Conor Travers 2 2 147
3 Bradley Horrocks 2 2 138
4 Jack Hurst 2 2 137
5 Thomas Cappleman 2 2 131
6 Tim Hebbes 2 2 129
7 Graeme Cole 2 2 124
7 Thomas Carey 2 2 124
9 Oliver Garner 2 2 120
10 Matthew Brockwell 2 2 115
11 Richard Priest 2 2 100
12 Callum Todd 2 1 155
13 Eddy Byrne 2 1 116
14 James Robinson 2 1 111
15 George Armstrong 2 1 110
16 Jason Turner 2 1 100
16 Ruth Cappleman 2 1 100
18 Adam Dexter 2 1 98
19 Chris Marshall 2 1 93
20 Phil Stanton 2 1 89
21 Sam Prouse 2 1 88
22 Stewart Gordon 2 1 67
23 Tim Down 2 0 127
24 Kai Laddiman 2 0 113
25 David Hilton 2 0 103
26 Fiona Titcombe 2 0 83
26 Joe Bartram 2 0 83
28 Mike Springett 2 0 67
29 Taz Turner 2 0 66
30 George Carey 2 0 57
31 Vicci Smith 2 0 46
32 Prune One 2 0 0
32 Prune Two 2 0 0

RESULTS

Round 1

Table 1
Matthew Brockwell 52 - 49 Tim Down
Tim Down 78 - 96 Callum Todd
Callum Todd 59 - 63 Matthew Brockwell

Table 2
Ruth Cappleman 59 - 55 David Hilton
David Hilton 48 - 52 Richard Priest
Richard Priest 48 - 41 Ruth Cappleman

Table 3
Kai Laddiman 51 - 61 George Armstrong
George Armstrong 49 - 66 Tim Hebbes
Tim Hebbes 63 - 62 Kai Laddiman

Table 4
George Carey 22 - 46 Adam Dexter
Adam Dexter 52 - 70 Graeme Cole
Graeme Cole 54 - 35 George Carey

Table 5
Taz Turner 31 - 47 Stewart Gordon
Stewart Gordon 20 - 71 Thomas Cappleman
Thomas Cappleman 60 - 35 Taz Turner

Table 6
Joe Bartram 42 - 52 Chris Marshall
Chris Marshall 41 - 73 Conor Travers
Conor Travers 74 - 41 Joe Bartram

Table 7
Jack Hurst 68 - 34 Fiona Titcombe
Fiona Titcombe 49 - 72 Eddy Byrne
Eddy Byrne 44 - 69 Jack Hurst

Table 8
Vicci Smith 23 - 50 Phil Stanton
Phil Stanton 39 - 66 Dinos Sfyris
Dinos Sfyris 82 - 23 Vicci Smith

Table 9
Jason Turner 54 - 39 Mike Springett
Mike Springett 28 - 68 Bradley Horrocks
Bradley Horrocks 70 - 46 Jason Turner

Table 10
Oliver Garner 69 - 0 Prune One
Prune One 0 - 63 James Robinson
James Robinson 48 - 51 Oliver Garner

Table 11
Sam Prouse 57 - 0 Prune Two
Prune Two 0 - 67 Thomas Carey
Thomas Carey 57 - 31 Sam Prouse
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Standings after round 2:

P W Pts
1 Oliver Garner 4 4 262
2 Bradley Horrocks 4 4 255
3 Matthew Brockwell 4 4 243
4 Callum Todd 4 3 296
5 Conor Travers 4 3 265
6 Jack Hurst 4 3 260
7 Thomas Carey 4 3 256
8 Thomas Cappleman 4 3 236
9 Tim Hebbes 4 3 233
10 Kai Laddiman 4 2 256
11 Eddy Byrne 4 2 241
12 Dinos Sfyris 4 2 232
13 George Armstrong 4 2 231
14 Graeme Cole 4 2 229
15 Chris Marshall 4 2 205
16 Adam Dexter 4 2 199
17 Mike Springett 4 2 194
18 Jason Turner 4 2 191
19 Fiona Titcombe 4 2 190
20 Phil Stanton 4 2 187
21 Richard Priest 4 2 186
22 Sam Prouse 4 2 184
23 Ruth Cappleman 4 2 169
24 George Carey 4 2 156
25 Tim Down 4 1 237
26 James Robinson 4 1 225
27 David Hilton 4 1 182
28 Stewart Gordon 4 1 134
28 Vicci Smith 4 1 134
30 Taz Turner 4 1 115
31 Joe Bartram 4 0 166
32 Prune One 4 0 0
32 Prune Two 4 0 0

RESULTS

Round 1

Table 1

Table 2

Table 3

Table 4

Table 5

Table 6

Table 7

Table 8

Table 9

Table 10

Table 11

Round 2

Table 1
Conor Travers 57 - 60 Bradley Horrocks
Bradley Horrocks 57 - 46 Dinos Sfyris
Dinos Sfyris 38 - 61 Conor Travers

Table 2
Thomas Cappleman 62 - 52 Tim Hebbes
Tim Hebbes 62*- 52 Jack Hurst
Jack Hurst 71 - 43 Thomas Cappleman

Table 3
Graeme Cole 44 - 71 Oliver Garner
Oliver Garner 71 - 61 Thomas Carey
Thomas Carey 71 - 61 Graeme Cole

Table 4
Richard Priest 49 - 64 Eddy Byrne
Eddy Byrne 61 - 63 Matthew Brockwell
Matthew Brockwell 65 - 37 Richard Priest

Table 5
James Robinson 71 - 81 George Armstrong
George Armstrong 40 - 77 Callum Todd
Callum Todd 64 - 43 James Robinson

Table 6
Ruth Cappleman 19 - 63 Adam Dexter
Adam Dexter 38 - 47 Jason Turner
Jason Turner 44 - 50 Ruth Cappleman

Table 7
Phil Stanton 38 - 47 Sam Prouse
Sam Prouse 49 - 59 Chris Marshall
Chris Marshall 53 - 60 Phil Stanton

Table 8
Tim Down 54 - 71 Kai Laddiman
Kai Laddiman 72 - 32 Stewart Gordon
Stewart Gordon 35 - 56 Tim Down

Table 9
Joe Bartram 42 - 60 Fiona Titcombe
Fiona Titcombe 47 - 34 David Hilton
David Hilton 45 - 41 Joe Bartram

Table 10
Taz Turner 28 - 0 Prune One
Prune One 0 - 67 Mike Springett
Mike Springett 60 - 21 Taz Turner

Table 11
Vicci Smith 49 - 0 Prune Two
Prune Two 0 - 52 George Carey
George Carey 47 - 39 Vicci Smith
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

And the pre-final standings are...

P W Pts
1 Bradley Horrocks 6 6 403
2 Conor Travers 6 5 391
3 Oliver Garner 6 5 365
4 Thomas Cappleman 6 5 348
5 Callum Todd 6 4 412
6 Thomas Carey 6 4 371
7 Dinos Sfyris 6 4 364
8 George Armstrong 6 4 357
9 Matthew Brockwell 6 4 340
10 Tim Hebbes 6 4 327
11 Richard Priest 6 4 312
12 Fiona Titcombe 6 4 296
13 Ruth Cappleman 6 4 274
14 Jack Hurst 6 3 371
15 Tim Down 6 3 362
16 James Robinson 6 3 355
17 Graeme Cole 6 3 348
18 Sam Prouse 6 3 295
19 Adam Dexter 6 3 294
20 Phil Stanton 6 3 271
21 Stewart Gordon 6 3 240
22 Kai Laddiman 6 2 354
23 Eddy Byrne 6 2 341
24 Chris Marshall 6 2 290
25 Jason Turner 6 2 285
26 Mike Springett 6 2 280
27 David Hilton 6 2 263
28 George Carey 6 2 218
29 Taz Turner 6 2 194
30 Joe Bartram 6 1 266
31 Vicci Smith 6 1 191
32 Prune One 6 0 0
32 Prune Two 6 0 0

RESULTS

Round 1

Table 1

Table 2

Table 3

Table 4

Table 5

Table 6

Table 7

Table 8

Table 9

Table 10

Table 11

Round 2

Table 1
Conor Travers 57 - 60 Bradley Horrocks
Bradley Horrocks 57 - 46 Dinos Sfyris
Dinos Sfyris 38 - 61 Conor Travers

Table 2
Thomas Cappleman 62 - 52 Tim Hebbes
Tim Hebbes 62*- 52 Jack Hurst
Jack Hurst 71 - 43 Thomas Cappleman

Table 3
Graeme Cole 44 - 71 Oliver Garner
Oliver Garner 71 - 61 Thomas Carey
Thomas Carey 71 - 61 Graeme Cole

Table 4
Richard Priest 49 - 64 Eddy Byrne
Eddy Byrne 61 - 63 Matthew Brockwell
Matthew Brockwell 65 - 37 Richard Priest

Table 5
James Robinson 71 - 81 George Armstrong
George Armstrong 40 - 77 Callum Todd
Callum Todd 64 - 43 James Robinson

Table 6
Ruth Cappleman 19 - 63 Adam Dexter
Adam Dexter 38 - 47 Jason Turner
Jason Turner 44 - 50 Ruth Cappleman

Table 7
Phil Stanton 38 - 47 Sam Prouse
Sam Prouse 49 - 59 Chris Marshall
Chris Marshall 53 - 60 Phil Stanton

Table 8
Tim Down 54 - 71 Kai Laddiman
Kai Laddiman 72 - 32 Stewart Gordon
Stewart Gordon 35 - 56 Tim Down

Table 9
Joe Bartram 42 - 60 Fiona Titcombe
Fiona Titcombe 47 - 34 David Hilton
David Hilton 45 - 41 Joe Bartram

Table 10
Taz Turner 28 - 0 Prune One
Prune One 0 - 67 Mike Springett
Mike Springett 60 - 21 Taz Turner

Table 11
Vicci Smith 49 - 0 Prune Two
Prune Two 0 - 52 George Carey
George Carey 47 - 39 Vicci Smith

Round 3

Table 1
Bradley Horrocks 75 - 59 Matthew Brockwell
Matthew Brockwell 38 - 48 Oliver Garner
Oliver Garner 55 - 73 Bradley Horrocks

Table 2
Conor Travers 68 - 58 Jack Hurst
Jack Hurst 53 - 63 Callum Todd
Callum Todd 53 - 58 Conor Travers

Table 3
Thomas Cappleman 46 - 39 Kai Laddiman
Kai Laddiman 59 - 63 Thomas Carey
Thomas Carey 52 - 66 Thomas Cappleman

Table 4
Eddy Byrne 51 - 59 Dinos Sfyris
Dinos Sfyris 73 - 43 Tim Hebbes
Tim Hebbes 51 - 49 Eddy Byrne

Table 5
Graeme Cole 64 - 41 Chris Marshall
Chris Marshall 44 - 67 George Armstrong
George Armstrong 59 - 55 Graeme Cole

Table 6
Mike Springett 38 - 45 Fiona Titcombe
Fiona Titcombe 61 - 42 Adam Dexter
Adam Dexter 53 - 48 Mike Springett

Table 7
Phil Stanton 40 - 67 Richard Priest
Richard Priest 69*- 59 Jason Turner
Jason Turner 35 - 44 Phil Stanton

Table 8
Ruth Cappleman 55 - 37 George Carey
George Carey 25 - 65 Sam Prouse
Sam Prouse 46 - 50 Ruth Cappleman

Table 9
David Hilton 50 - 0 Prune One
Prune One 0 - 69 Tim Down
Tim Down 56 - 31 David Hilton

Table 10
Vicci Smith 38 - 48 Taz Turner
Taz Turner 31 - 69 James Robinson
James Robinson 61 - 19 Vicci Smith

Table 11
Joe Bartram 61 - 0 Prune Two
Prune Two 0 - 61 Stewart Gordon
Stewart Gordon 45 - 39 Joe Bartram
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

And congratulations to Conor, winning the final 73-39 to regain the title he first won all the way across in 2008!

...and next, the pub. The the hangover. :-)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Update from the hangover: mixed reactions to me confiscating the large numbers from all the sets and replacing them with 30, 60, 90 and 120.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

And at the halfway mark of the hangover...

P W Pts
1 Oliver Garner 2 2 144
2 Conor Travers 2 2 140
3 Bradley Horrocks 2 2 130
4 Thomas Cappleman 2 2 125
5 Dinos Sfyris 2 2 123
6 Adam Dexter 2 2 117
6 Tim Hebbes 2 2 117
8 Callum Todd 2 2 111
9 Jack Hurst 2 1 129
10 George Armstrong 2 1 128
11 Tim Down 2 1 126
12 James Robinson 2 1 115
13 Richard Priest 2 1 108
14 Chris Marshall 2 1 103
15 Kai Laddiman 2 1 99
16 Fiona Titcombe 2 1 98
17 Phil Stanton 2 1 95
18 Eddy Byrne 2 1 93
18 Graeme Cole 2 1 93
20 Sam Prouse 2 1 89
21 Mike Springett 2 1 77
22 Thomas Carey 2 1 76
23 Stewart Gordon 2 0 76
24 Jason Turner 2 0 73
25 Matthew Brockwell 2 0 70
26 Ruth Cappleman 2 0 66
27 David Hilton 2 0 58
28 Joe Bartram 2 0 57
29 Taz Turner 2 0 56
30 Hannah Fitton 2 0 12

RESULTS

Round 1

Table 1
Tim Down 71 - 29 Jason Turner
Jason Turner 44 - 54 Tim Hebbes
Tim Hebbes 63 - 55 Tim Down

Table 2
Graeme Cole 63 - 32 Joe Bartram
Joe Bartram 25 - 71 Bradley Horrocks
Bradley Horrocks 59 - 30 Graeme Cole

Table 3
James Robinson 67 - 32 David Hilton
David Hilton 26 - 67 Conor Travers
Conor Travers 73 - 48 James Robinson

Table 4
Richard Priest 66 - 22 Taz Turner
Taz Turner 34 - 64 Dinos Sfyris
Dinos Sfyris 59 - 42 Richard Priest

Table 5
Adam Dexter 55 - 41 Eddy Byrne
Eddy Byrne 52 - 26 Matthew Brockwell
Matthew Brockwell 44 - 62 Adam Dexter

Table 6
Fiona Titcombe 43 - 50 Chris Marshall
Chris Marshall 53 - 79 George Armstrong
George Armstrong 49 - 55 Fiona Titcombe

Table 7
Sam Prouse 50 - 45 Stewart Gordon
Stewart Gordon 31 - 65 Callum Todd
Callum Todd 46 - 39 Sam Prouse

Table 8
Jack Hurst 62 -*72 Kai Laddiman
Kai Laddiman 37 - 52 Thomas Carey
Thomas Carey 24 - 67 Jack Hurst

Table 9
Ruth Cappleman 36 - 54 Phil Stanton
Phil Stanton 41 - 55 Thomas Cappleman
Thomas Cappleman 70 - 30 Ruth Cappleman

Table 10
Hannah Fitton 6 - 54 Mike Springett
Mike Springett 23 - 74 Oliver Garner
Oliver Garner 70 - 6 Hannah Fitton
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

And the pre-final hangover standings are...

P W Pts
1 Bradley Horrocks 4 4 259
2 Conor Travers 4 3 260
3 Jack Hurst 4 3 250
4 Dinos Sfyris 4 3 233
5 Richard Priest 4 3 226
6 Thomas Carey 4 3 224
7 Thomas Cappleman 4 3 221
8 Callum Todd 4 3 220
9 Tim Hebbes 4 3 217
10 Eddy Byrne 4 3 214
11 Graeme Cole 4 3 211
12 Oliver Garner 4 2 250
13 Tim Down 4 2 242
14 George Armstrong 4 2 220
15 Adam Dexter 4 2 218
16 Kai Laddiman 4 2 215
17 Matthew Brockwell 4 2 209
18 James Robinson 4 2 193
18 Sam Prouse 4 2 193
20 Fiona Titcombe 4 2 155
21 Joe Bartram 4 2 132
22 Chris Marshall 4 1 191
23 Phil Stanton 4 1 169
23 Ruth Cappleman 4 1 169
25 Mike Springett 4 1 156
26 Jason Turner 4 1 144
27 Taz Turner 4 1 118
28 Stewart Gordon 4 0 155
29 David Hilton 4 0 127
30 Hannah Fitton 4 0 65

RESULTS

Round 1

Table 1
Tim Down 71 - 29 Jason Turner
Jason Turner 44 - 54 Tim Hebbes
Tim Hebbes 63 - 55 Tim Down

Table 2
Graeme Cole 63 - 32 Joe Bartram
Joe Bartram 25 - 71 Bradley Horrocks
Bradley Horrocks 59 - 30 Graeme Cole

Table 3
James Robinson 67 - 32 David Hilton
David Hilton 26 - 67 Conor Travers
Conor Travers 73 - 48 James Robinson

Table 4
Richard Priest 66 - 22 Taz Turner
Taz Turner 34 - 64 Dinos Sfyris
Dinos Sfyris 59 - 42 Richard Priest

Table 5
Adam Dexter 55 - 41 Eddy Byrne
Eddy Byrne 52 - 26 Matthew Brockwell
Matthew Brockwell 44 - 62 Adam Dexter

Table 6
Fiona Titcombe 43 - 50 Chris Marshall
Chris Marshall 53 - 79 George Armstrong
George Armstrong 49 - 55 Fiona Titcombe

Table 7
Sam Prouse 50 - 45 Stewart Gordon
Stewart Gordon 31 - 65 Callum Todd
Callum Todd 46 - 39 Sam Prouse

Table 8
Jack Hurst 62 -*72 Kai Laddiman
Kai Laddiman 37 - 52 Thomas Carey
Thomas Carey 24 - 67 Jack Hurst

Table 9
Ruth Cappleman 36 - 54 Phil Stanton
Phil Stanton 41 - 55 Thomas Cappleman
Thomas Cappleman 70 - 30 Ruth Cappleman

Table 10
Hannah Fitton 6 - 54 Mike Springett
Mike Springett 23 - 74 Oliver Garner
Oliver Garner 70 - 6 Hannah Fitton

Round 2

Table 1
Conor Travers 62 -*72 Bradley Horrocks
Bradley Horrocks 67 - 57 Oliver Garner
Oliver Garner 49 - 58 Conor Travers

Table 2
Dinos Sfyris 57 - 46 Tim Hebbes
Tim Hebbes 54 - 36 Thomas Cappleman
Thomas Cappleman 60 - 53 Dinos Sfyris

Table 3
Callum Todd 56 - 60 Jack Hurst
Jack Hurst 61 - 56 Adam Dexter
Adam Dexter 45 - 53 Callum Todd

Table 4
Tim Down 69 - 27 James Robinson
James Robinson 51 - 43 George Armstrong
George Armstrong 49 - 47 Tim Down

Table 5
Chris Marshall 45 - 69 Kai Laddiman
Kai Laddiman 47 - 50 Richard Priest
Richard Priest 68 - 43 Chris Marshall

Table 6
Phil Stanton 34 - 53 Graeme Cole
Graeme Cole 65 - 7 Fiona Titcombe
Fiona Titcombe 50 - 40 Phil Stanton

Table 7
Sam Prouse 59 - 39 Mike Springett
Mike Springett 40 - 53 Eddy Byrne
Eddy Byrne 68 - 45 Sam Prouse

Table 8
Stewart Gordon 39 - 48 Jason Turner
Jason Turner 23 - 82 Thomas Carey
Thomas Carey 66 - 40 Stewart Gordon

Table 9
Ruth Cappleman 59 - 37 David Hilton
David Hilton 32 - 71 Matthew Brockwell
Matthew Brockwell 68 - 44 Ruth Cappleman

Table 10
Taz Turner 36 - 32 Hannah Fitton
Hannah Fitton 21 - 33 Joe Bartram
Joe Bartram 42 - 26 Taz Turner

Deja vu, anyone?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

And Conor completes the double, winning 69-59 on a crucial to take his second hangover title!

Many thanks to all who came this year- its the community who truly make COLIN what it is. :-) I'm now going to sleep for 96 hours.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Many thanks to Ben for organising the 17th COLIN event. Good to be back there again.

Inquiring minds want to know... for the Hangover event, which used the large numbers 30, 60, 90 and 120, if the target had been 120, would "120" have been accepted as a method?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Graeme Cole wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:03 pm Many thanks to Ben for organising the 17th COLIN event. Good to be back there again.

Inquiring minds want to know... for the Hangover event, which used the large numbers 30, 60, 90 and 120, if the target had been 120, would "120" have been accepted as a method?
You're not the first person to have pointed out this minor cock up on my part,, and the answer would have to have been 'yes'. Will think my devious schemes through a bit better next time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

On a related note, despite the fact that 100 "isn't a valid target", it comes up on the show every now and then, and it came up on Cats very recently and they accepted just 100 as the solution.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Ben Wilson wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:21 pm
Graeme Cole wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:03 pm Many thanks to Ben for organising the 17th COLIN event. Good to be back there again.

You're not the first person to have pointed out this minor cock up on my part,, and the answer would have to have been 'yes'. Will think my devious schemes through a bit better next time.
I don't regard this as a cock-up; it's not like there aren't possible numbers rounds under current rules that aren't so easy as to be basically the same as the hypothetical 120 scenario. The large numbers were an excellent innovation.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Callum Todd wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:50 pm
Ben Wilson wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:21 pm

I don't regard this as a cock-up; it's not like there aren't possible numbers rounds under current rules that aren't so easy as to be basically the same as the hypothetical 120 scenario. The large numbers were an excellent innovation.
I agree with this - for the avoidance of doubt, my post was out of curiosity rather than as a cricitism.