Spoilers for Wednesday 26th May 2021 (Series 83, Prelim 103)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Wednesday 26th May 2021 (Series 83, Prelim 103)

Post by Toby McDonald »

ADVECTS in R5
ADIPOUS in R8
PERIOECUS in R11

Way after the time but finally spotted the 83*8 in R6: ((7+7)*5+10+3)*8 = 664

Richard seems like a decent player. Think he could do pretty well. :)
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 26th May 2021 (Series 83, Prelim 103)

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Must have been a while since we got all three vowel counts in the letters and four different selections for the numbers. Almost reminds me of me picking.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Another way to 83 was ((7 + 5 - 3) * 10) - 7.

Can anyone help with the dictionary here... I risked 'audios' and 'genomes'. Both happen to be mass nouns, but genomes is spelt out in an example sentence in the definition, so it has to be a word! It can't be right, though, that the validity of a word is dependent on the definition containing the mass noun + s or not, can it? How do I know which mass nouns are valid with an s and which are not?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Philip Wilson wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:26 pm Another way to 83 was ((7 + 5 - 3) * 10) - 7.

Can anyone help with the dictionary here... I risked 'audios' and 'genomes'. Both happen to be mass nouns, but genomes is spelt out in an example sentence in the definition, so it has to be a word! It can't be right, though, that the validity of a word is dependent on the definition containing the mass noun + s or not, can it? How do I know which mass nouns are valid with an s and which are not?
This is the age old question. Example sentences apparently don't count any more. I can't see how GENOME is a mass noun anyway. It seems a strange classification choice. It's at least not just a mass noun.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:57 am
Philip Wilson wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:26 pm Another way to 83 was ((7 + 5 - 3) * 10) - 7.

This is the age old question. Example sentences apparently don't count any more. I can't see how GENOME is a mass noun anyway. It seems a strange classification choice. It's at least not just a mass noun.
Ah right, thanks. I knew there would be a rule here but didn't know what it was. Shame in the programme Susie had an 8 in that round so Genomes wasn't mentioned anyway.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Have seen the June 11th VASELINE thread now, which I hadn't at the time of asking! Apologies. I really need to catch up :-)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Philip Wilson wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:11 am

Have seen the June 11th VASELINE thread now, which I hadn't at the time of asking! Apologies. I really need to catch up :-)
Yeah, I thought afterwrds you might not have seen it and was considering going back to add that in, but then I forgot.