Game of the Year (GotY) 2020 - nominations

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Game of the Year (GotY) 2020 - nominations

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Evening, all!

I'm setting up this thread to discuss the nominations stage for GotY 2020, and also for information and discussion about the GotY process.

I’m in my second year of running now, and it was a pleasure to have the honour of running such a contest last year. We saw a HUGE number of nominators and voters last year, and it’d be wonderful to see this repeat this year.

We’ve had a very hectic year, and I’d like to wish you all a better 2021 first and foremost (though maybe you liked 2020? Who knows?). I hope you all keep safe and well :)

Please read the following carefully:

Nominations

The rules for nominations are as follows:

1) Each person may nominate up to 25 games. Now, I should think it would be obvious that this means that you can’t participate with multiple accounts, but a certain person tried to do this in the voting stage last year (I think we can all remember who). If I suspect that someone is trying to participate with multiple accounts then I will take action appropriately, which may include nullifying all of their contributions. I’m sure I can count on people to be honest, but I’m mentioning this nonetheless.
2) You may nominate any game from 2020. The GotW archive would be a good place to start looking (it lists the top 3 games from each GotW vote; you can see the other games that made it to the GotW vote by clicking on the date in the 'Week' column).
3) If you nominate a game that didn’t make the top 3 of GotW, then I’ll add it to a list at the bottom of this thread (provided I remember).

After nominations have closed and all nominations have been counted, I'll select a natural cut-off point at n nominations, such that all games with ≥n nominations make up the final poll. I'm aiming for a cut-off so that somewhere around 10-12 nominees for the final poll, though there may be a slightly more or less depending on what happens. I will use my judgment as to what is appropriate in cases that may arise.

Nominations should be submitted to me by aptomail or by private message on this forum (or on Facebook, or any other platform you have me on). Please provide a link to every game. You can literally just submit 25 game links and provided they are all links to valid games, then I’m happy. However, if you don’t submit links to games then I will ask you to provide them.

If you've already submitted your full complement of 25 nominations and then you change your mind, you will be allowed to nominate games in place of ones you’ve already nominated. You must be clear which games you are replacing, though. Alternatively, you can nominate games in dribs and drabs - even one nomination could make a difference! If you end up submitting more than 25, then I’ll ask you to pick some to remove so that you are within the limit.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I hope you enjoy having a look back through some great games from 2020!

So, having said all that…

Nominations are now open and will close on Saturday 20th February 2021 at 11.59pm.

I have also listed below the previous winners of GotY, so that you can take a moment to peruse what people collectively voted were the best games of apterous in years gone by! Rob became the first person to win twice in a row last year, and him and Conor now have two wins each!
2019: Apterous Rex 1197 – 1189 Rob Foster
2018: Rob Foster 715 – 723 Apterous Rex
2017: Ben Andrews 200 - 200 Martin Hurst
2016: Johnny Canuck 116 - 71 Tracey Mills
2015: Apterous Prune 0 - 1002 Jack Worsley
2014: Apterous Rex 795 - 788 Conor Travers
2013: Matthew Tassier 200 - 190 Apterous Rex
2012: Apterous Prune 0 - 987 Conor Travers
2011: Edward McCullagh 116 - 26 Michael Cullen
2010: Innis Carson 233 - 0 Apterous Prune

List of games nominated that didn't make the top 3 of GotW:
Ronan Higginson 190 - 0 Apterous Prune
Ronan Higginson 138 - 0 Apterous Prune
Dave Robjohns 261 - 118 Matthew S Rutherford
Philip Aston 509 - 576 Toby McDonald
Apterous Prune 0 - 117 Joseph H
Jake Gander 1 - 2 Dave Robjohns
Last edited by Elliott Mellor on Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Re: Game of the Year (GotY) 2020 - nominations

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Word of warning - having now submitted my nominations, that list at the bottom is about to get A LOT bigger.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:02 pm List of games nominated that didn't make the top 3 of GotW:
Was there a good reason to include this list or is it just Elliott being Elliott?
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:36 pm
Elliott Mellor wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:02 pm List of games nominated that didn't make the top 3 of GotW:
Was there a good reason to include this list or is it just Elliott being Elliott?
It's always been like this since before Elliott took over. It's just to show what games have been nominated already so people can see if they're worth nominating themselves.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Yes, you are right. My mistake.
It looked to me like an unnecessary dig at Ronan for nomming his own games... but that's not what it was.
Apologies, Elliott.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:02 am Yes, you are right. My mistake.
It looked to me like an unnecessary dig at Ronan for nomming his own games... but that's not what it was.
Apologies, Elliott.
For what it's worth, these weren't all nominated by Ronan. I suggest you take care in the future before making assumptions like this and perhaps apologise to Ronan too for making such a rash assumption.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Elliott Mellor wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:49 am
L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:02 am Yes, you are right. My mistake.
Apologies, Elliott.
For what it's worth, these weren't all nominated by Ronan. I suggest you take care in the future before making assumptions like this and perhaps apologise to Ronan too for making such a rash assumption.
Now that actually IS Elliott being Elliott. :mrgreen:
You have condescension down to a fine art.
And this, I'm not apologising for.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Obviously it is up to the admins themselves, but I see nothing constructive in the last 5 comments on this thread. They bear little relevance to the topic at hand. Might be best to delete them. My initial one was in error, and the rest are just a car crash of fumblings, awkward apologies and a general lack of grace.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:29 pm Obviously it is up to the admins themselves, but I see nothing constructive in the last 5 comments on this thread. They bear little relevance to the topic at hand. Might be best to delete them. My initial one was in error, and the rest are just a car crash of fumblings, awkward apologies and a general lack of grace.
Agree with this. Feel free to remove them, admins.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Disagree. My post was awesome.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Haha, your post was unreal, Gevin.
If it gets deleted, you'll to go back down to 10,127.
Robbo will be hot on your trail... :o
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

I'd like to nominate this thread for c4c dispute of the year.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Callum Todd wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:01 pm I'd like to nominate this thread for c4c dispute of the year.
ffs! :oops:
Those comments aren't getting deleted any time soon, are they? :lol:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as GOTY is concerned, I am far too lazy for the nominations stage of this. I'll wait till whatever gets put forward, and participate in the voting.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Three weeks left to get your nominations in!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I intend.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Two weeks to get your nominations in!
Elliott Mellor
Devotee